|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What punishment does Karen inflict on Mary?
(a) Tutoring duties for two weeks.
(b) Kitchen duty for two weeks.
(c) No phone privileges for two weeks.
(d) Confinement to the school grounds for two weeks.
2. How can Mary's behavior be characterized?
3. What is a possible source of Mary's behavioral problems?
(a) Alcohol abuse.
(b) Abused as a child.
(c) Emotional disturbance.
4. Who is the second person Mrs. Tilford calls to talk about Karen and Martha's behavior?
(a) Mrs. Nunn.
(b) Mrs. Munn.
(c) Mrs. Mortar.
(d) Mrs. Montague.
5. What type of building houses the school?
(a) Townhouse in the city.
(b) Abandoned schoolhouse.
(d) Converted farmhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Agatha view Mary when she arrives unexpectedly?
2. The school was founded by ___________________.
3. Who is Karen's fiance?
4. What do Karen and Martha decide about Mary?
5. To what work of fiction can Mary's actions be compared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Karen and Martha go to Mrs. Tilford's house?
2. How does Mary Tilford try to get on Mrs. Mortar's good side?
3. What are the circumstances of Martha's suicide?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing in showing Mary's character traits in Act 1?
5. What does Mary symbolize in this good vs. evil drama?
6. What is the most tragic irony of the whole play?
7. Why are the adults not concerned about Mary's "heart attack"?
8. Given Mary's behavior so far in the play, what type of home would the reader believe she had been raised in?
9. How is Mary's behavior likened to the behavior of the girls in THE CRUCIBLE?
10. What is the setting for THE CHILDREN'S HOUR?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)