|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the other woman who founded the school?
(a) Karen Davis.
(b) Karen Dobie.
(c) Karen Wilson.
(d) Karen Wright.
2. What does Mrs. Mortar say to Martha in retaliation?
(a) Martha is not as pretty as Karen.
(b) Martha is not as smart as Karen.
(c) Martha has always been fat and ugly.
(d) Martha has inappropriate feelings for Karen.
3. How does Mrs. Tilford respond to Mary's exaggerations?
(a) She is hurt.
(b) She passes them off.
(c) She is outraged.
(d) She will sue the school.
4. What punishment does Karen inflict on Mary?
(a) Tutoring duties for two weeks.
(b) Kitchen duty for two weeks.
(c) Confinement to the school grounds for two weeks.
(d) No phone privileges for two weeks.
5. The school was founded by ___________________.
(a) Two single women.
(b) A group of philanthropists.
(c) A university professor.
(d) A board of businessmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters the room and states that Mary had found the flowers in a trashcan?
2. What is the stereotypical definition of New England mores?
3. What have the girls heard coming from the bedroom door?
4. How is Dr. Cardin related to Mary Tilford?
5. Who is the woman who monitors the study room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the topic of lesbianism viewed at the time this play was written in the 1930s?
2. How does the author end the story on a hopeful note?
3. What is the most tragic irony of the whole play?
4. Explain the impact that the trial has had on Karen and Martha's careers.
5. How does Martha come to tell Karen that she really does have loving feelings toward her?
6. What is the result of Karen, Martha and Dr. Cardin questioning Mary?
7. Why is Agatha suspicious of Mary's behavior?
8. How does Mrs. Tilford react when Martha threatens to sue her for libel?
9. How does Mrs. Tilford respond when she realizes that Mary has arrived unexpectedly?
10. How far reaching are the effects of Mary's malicious behavior?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)