|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Mary to be taken back to school?
(a) Monday morning.
(c) After the school holiday.
(d) Tomorrow morning.
2. What has happened to Mary's vow?
(a) She will start tomorrow.
(b) She has abandoned it.
(c) She is thinking it over.
(d) She has followed through on it.
3. What does Mrs. Mortar say to Martha in retaliation?
(a) Martha is not as pretty as Karen.
(b) Martha has always been fat and ugly.
(c) Martha is not as smart as Karen.
(d) Martha has inappropriate feelings for Karen.
4. How is Dr. Cardin related to Mary Tilford?
5. Which girl does Mrs. Mortar chastise for tardiness?
(a) Mary Tilford.
(b) Mary Grant.
(c) Mary Hall.
(d) Mary Tipton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who questions Mary upon her arrival at the Tilford house?
2. Why is Mary prone to exaggeration?
3. Who does Mary claim to have mistreated her?
4. How does Agatha view Mary when she arrives unexpectedly?
5. What role does evil serve in good vs. evil dramas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha come to tell Karen that she really does have loving feelings toward her?
2. Why has Mrs. Tilford come to the school?
3. How is Mary's destructive behavior comparable to the effects of acid?
4. How does Mrs. Tilford respond when she realizes that Mary has arrived unexpectedly?
5. What is the most tragic irony of the whole play?
6. What are the circumstances of Martha's suicide?
7. Why was the play considered controversial at the time it was written?
8. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
9. How does Mrs. Tilford begin to take Mary's accusations seriously?
10. How do the adults behave in such a way that only validates Mary's malicious behavior?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)