|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Dr. Cardin asked Mrs. Mortar to do which irritates her?
(a) Vacuum the study room.
(b) Pick up his laundry.
(c) Leave the room where Mary is resting.
(d) Make a pot of coffee.
2. Mary's behavior would indicate that she was raised in a _______________________.
(a) loving home.
(b) negative environment.
(c) boarding school.
(d) foster home.
3. According to Mary, who knows about the behavior of Karen and Martha?
(a) Dr. Cardin.
(b) Mrs. Mortar.
(c) All the girls at school.
(d) Only Mary.
4. Mary has a history of _________________.
(a) excellent grades.
(b) fainting spells.
(c) asthma attacks.
5. Who does Mary say she misses?
(b) Her dog.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary coerce for money?
2. What is the age range of the girls in the opening act?
3. What is a possible source of Mary's behavioral problems?
4. How can Mary's behavior be characterized?
5. When is Mary to be taken back to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karen and Martha behave in the aftermath of the libel trial?
2. How is the topic of lesbianism viewed at the time this play was written in the 1930s?
3. Explain the impact that the trial has had on Karen and Martha's careers.
4. What can be presumed about the source of Mary's cunning behavior?
5. How do the adults behave in such a way that only validates Mary's malicious behavior?
6. What is the "witch hunt" upon which Mary has embarked?
7. How does Act 1 end?
8. Why was the play considered controversial at the time it was written?
9. Given Mary's behavior so far in the play, what type of home would the reader believe she had been raised in?
10. The parents get caught up in the fever of Mary's accusations and Mrs. Tilford's phone calls and neglect to do one thing. What is that one thing?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)