|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of building houses the school?
(a) Abandoned schoolhouse.
(c) Townhouse in the city.
(d) Converted farmhouse.
2. What does Mrs. Mortar say to Martha in retaliation?
(a) Martha is not as pretty as Karen.
(b) Martha has always been fat and ugly.
(c) Martha is not as smart as Karen.
(d) Martha has inappropriate feelings for Karen.
3. How can Mrs. Tilford be characterized?
4. What was Mrs. Mortar's former profession?
5. Mary has a history of _________________.
(a) asthma attacks.
(b) fainting spells.
(c) excellent grades.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary say she misses?
2. Who is one of the women who founded the school?
3. What does Mary give to Mrs. Mortar?
4. Where is Mrs. Mortar's home?
5. In what month of the year does Act 1 open?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agatha suspicious of Mary's behavior?
2. Why are the adults not concerned about Mary's "heart attack"?
3. How does Act 1 begin?
4. How does Mary react when she learns that she is being sent back to school?
5. What is the setting for THE CHILDREN'S HOUR?
6. What does Dr. Cardin do that makes Karen know she cannot marry him.
7. How is the topic of lesbianism viewed at the time this play was written in the 1930s?
8. Who greets Mary when she arrives at the Tilford home?
9. Why does the author set the story of good vs. evil in a small town in Massachusetts?
10. How is Mary's behavior likened to the behavior of the girls in THE CRUCIBLE?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)