|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the adults' reactions validate in Mary?
(a) Her malicious behavior.
(b) Her shyness.
(c) Her generosity.
(d) Her timidity.
2. How does Dr. Cardin react to Mrs. Tilford's statement about his marriage to Karen?
(a) He understands her concerns.
(b) He is grateful for her generosity.
(c) He appreciates the offer but can't accept it.
(d) He is outraged at the intrusion into his life.
3. What is the demeanor of Karen and Martha?
(c) Low key.
4. What does Karen ask Dr. Cardin when they are alone?
(a) If he truly believed in her innocence.
(b) If they can move to California.
(c) If he really loves her.
(d) If they can have children right away.
5. What is Mary doing as Rosalie enters the living room?
(a) Playing the piano.
6. What does Mrs. Tilford tell Karen about Mary?
(a) She lied and coerced Rosalie to lie also.
(b) She has been cut out of her will.
(c) She regrets the lies she told.
(d) She has been sent away to boarding school.
7. In what room does Act 3 begin?
(a) The library.
(b) The music room.
(c) The Home Economics room
(d) The study room.
8. What does Martha beg Karen to do when she realizes Dr. Cardin is gone?
(a) Go after Dr. Cardin.
(b) Say she has loved her all along.
(c) Call him when she gets settled.
(d) Say good riddance to him.
9. Which of the following does Karen not do after talking to Mrs. Tilford?
(a) Opens a window.
(b) Makes a phone call.
(c) Goes to a window.
(d) Sits on a window ledge.
10. Why do Karen and Martha want to talk to Mrs. Tilford?
(a) She has encouraged all the parents to remove their daughters from the school.
(b) They want to confirm her grant to the school for next year.
(c) They would like her support in the next election.
(d) They are enlisting her help to organize a bake sale.
11. What does Dr. Cardin plan for Martha?
(a) Send her to London with Mrs. Mortar.
(b) Get her established at Harvard.
(c) Send her on a worldwide cruise.
(d) Take her to Vienna with Karen and him.
12. What does Karen ask Dr. Cardin to do?
(a) Pick up some Chinese takeout for dinner.
(b) Make the arrangements for Vienna right away.
(c) Go away for a couple days to reconsider the marriage.
(d) Go away and never come back.
13. With what theme does the author end the play?
14. Who comes to the house occasionally?
(a) The grocery delivery boy.
(b) The meter reader.
(c) The mailman.
(d) The UPS guy.
15. Who sides with Martha and Karen?
(a) Mrs. Mortar.
(b) Mrs. Munn.
(c) Professor Cardinal.
(d) Dr. Cardin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most people tend to destroy something __________________.
2. At the time this play was written, what was not condoned as proper among those teaching children?
3. Why did Mrs. Mortar not return to testify in the trial?
4. With what does Martha threaten Mrs. Tilford?
5. What is Agatha doing as Act 2, Scene 2 begins?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)