|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Karen respond to Mrs. Tilford's offers?
(a) She rejects them outright.
(b) She cannot take the money.
(c) She accepts them.
(d) She will consider them.
2. What does Martha beg Karen to do when she realizes Dr. Cardin is gone?
(a) Call him when she gets settled.
(b) Say good riddance to him.
(c) Say she has loved her all along.
(d) Go after Dr. Cardin.
3. What is Mary doing as Rosalie enters the living room?
(c) Playing the piano.
4. What does Karen ask Dr. Cardin to do?
(a) Go away and never come back.
(b) Pick up some Chinese takeout for dinner.
(c) Go away for a couple days to reconsider the marriage.
(d) Make the arrangements for Vienna right away.
5. Which of the following has not contributed to Karen's despair?
(a) Her career is over.
(b) Martha has committed suicide.
(c) Her mother has recently died.
(d) Her engagement is broken off.
6. The trial had been publicized _____________________.
(c) not at all.
7. What is Agatha doing as Act 2, Scene 2 begins?
(a) Arranging flowers.
(b) Making preparations for a guest.
(c) Making dinner.
(d) Packing clothes.
8. What makes the only noise in the school now?
(a) A noisy furnace.
(b) A relentlessly ringing phone.
(c) A squeaky ceiling fan.
(d) A Grandfather clock.
9. At the time this play was written, lesbianism was _________________.
(a) in vogue.
(c) a sin.
(d) not a public topic.
10. What is Karen and Martha's intention at the Tilford house?
(a) Attend a cocktail party.
(b) Speak to the Garden Club.
(c) Talk about Mary's grades.
(d) Confront Mrs. Tilford.
11. What is the setting for Act 3?
(a) The Glendale Academy.
(b) The Wright-Dobie School.
(c) The Dover School.
(d) The Exeter School.
12. It is safe to say that Mary ______________________.
(a) will be sorry one day.
(b) will have to confess her sins.
(c) will behave maliciously for the rest of her life.
(d) doesn't even know what she has done wrong.
13. What does Dr. Cardin plan for Martha?
(a) Send her to London with Mrs. Mortar.
(b) Get her established at Harvard.
(c) Take her to Vienna with Karen and him.
(d) Send her on a worldwide cruise.
14. What does Karen realize when Dr. Cardin says he really wants to ask the question about her relationship with Martha?
(a) She loves him even more.
(b) She can't marry him.
(c) She thinks he is incredibly rude.
(d) She would want to ask if she were him.
15. Who arrives unexpectedly at the school?
(a) Mr. Tilford.
(b) Professor Cardinal.
(c) Mrs. Mortar.
(d) Mrs. Munn.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can the school be described now?
2. Dr. Cardin believes that Mary is prone to _______________.
3. At the time this play was written, what was not condoned as proper among those teaching children?
4. Which of the following is not something Dr. Cardin has done?
5. What does Martha finally reveal to Karen after Dr. Cardin leaves?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)