|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Karen and Martha know about their careers now?
(a) They will start a new school in another state.
(b) There are few places they would be allowed to teach young girls.
(c) They are both burned out on teaching.
(d) They are highly in demand now.
2. How can the school be described now?
(c) Burned down.
(d) Starting over again.
3. What guest is expected at the Tilford home?
(a) One of the girls from the school.
(b) Mrs. Mortar.
(c) An old college friend of Mr. Tilford's.
(d) Mrs. Tilford's sister.
4. What makes the only noise in the school now?
(a) A squeaky ceiling fan.
(b) A relentlessly ringing phone.
(c) A noisy furnace.
(d) A Grandfather clock.
5. Who comes to the house occasionally?
(a) The mailman.
(b) The meter reader.
(c) The UPS guy.
(d) The grocery delivery boy.
6. To what can Mary's malicious destruction be compared?
(a) A fire that reduces everything to embers.
(b) Acid eating away at something.
(c) A tornado flattening the landscape.
(d) A flood sweeping everything away.
7. How have Karen and Martha behaved since the trial?
(a) Moved to New York.
(b) Given interviews on TV.
(c) Sequestered themselves in the school.
(d) Launched a new school in Vermont.
8. How does Dr. Cardin react to Mrs. Tilford's statement about his marriage to Karen?
(a) He appreciates the offer but can't accept it.
(b) He understands her concerns.
(c) He is outraged at the intrusion into his life.
(d) He is grateful for her generosity.
9. Who knocks on the door soon after Martha's body is discovered?
(b) Professor Cardinal.
(c) Dr. Cardin.
(d) Mrs. Munn.
10. What does Mrs. Tilford admit to Karen?
(a) She was wrong to let the case go to trial.
(b) She has a job for Mrs. Mortar.
(c) She wants Karen to tutor Mary.
(d) She wants Karen and Martha to leave town immediately.
11. Why are Karen and Martha so outraged?
(a) That the plumber has charged more than his estimate.
(b) That a malicious child can be allowed to create havoc.
(c) That Mrs. Tilford won't let them in the house.
(d) That the school bus is broken down again.
12. With what theme does the author end the play?
13. What do the adults' reactions validate in Mary?
(a) Her malicious behavior.
(b) Her generosity.
(c) Her timidity.
(d) Her shyness.
14. What is Rosalie's demeanor when she enters the living room?
15. How does Karen respond to Mrs. Tilford's offers?
(a) She rejects them outright.
(b) She will consider them.
(c) She accepts them.
(d) She cannot take the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Mrs. Mortar been during the trial?
2. How does Martha kill herself?
3. What is Mary doing as Rosalie enters the living room?
4. Most people tend to destroy something __________________.
5. Who is the only person the parents talk to before withdrawing their daughters from the school?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)