|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme associated with Mrs. Tilford at the end of the play?
(b) Search for love.
2. How does Martha feel now about Mrs. Mortar?
(a) She can tolerate her.
(b) She is indifferent toward her.
(c) She hates her.
(d) She loves her.
3. Which of the following does Karen not do after talking to Mrs. Tilford?
(a) Goes to a window.
(b) Makes a phone call.
(c) Opens a window.
(d) Sits on a window ledge.
4. What has forced Martha to examine her feelings for Karen?
(a) Mary's allegations.
(b) Dr. Cardin's proposal to Karen.
(c) Being lonely.
(d) Growing older.
5. What happens when Karen and Martha find flaws in Mary's story?
(a) She runs out of the room.
(b) She recovers quickly.
(c) She cries.
(d) She slaps them.
6. How can the school be described now?
(a) Burned down.
(b) Starting over again.
7. Why do Karen and Martha want to talk to Mrs. Tilford?
(a) They want to confirm her grant to the school for next year.
(b) They are enlisting her help to organize a bake sale.
(c) She has encouraged all the parents to remove their daughters from the school.
(d) They would like her support in the next election.
8. How does Dr. Cardin react to Mrs. Tilford's statement about his marriage to Karen?
(a) He is outraged at the intrusion into his life.
(b) He understands her concerns.
(c) He is grateful for her generosity.
(d) He appreciates the offer but can't accept it.
9. Which of the following has not contributed to Karen's despair?
(a) Her mother has recently died.
(b) Her career is over.
(c) Martha has committed suicide.
(d) Her engagement is broken off.
10. With what does Martha threaten Mrs. Tilford?
(a) Newspaper ads.
(b) A libel suit.
(d) Bodily harm.
11. What is the name of the guest expected at the Tilford home?
(b) Mrs. Mortar.
12. What does Mary do to Rosalie?
(a) Slaps her.
(b) Teaches her to dance.
(c) Curls her hair.
(d) Blackmails her.
13. Who knocks on the door soon after Martha's body is discovered?
(b) Mrs. Munn.
(c) Dr. Cardin.
(d) Professor Cardinal.
14. At the time this play was written, what was not condoned as proper among those teaching children?
15. Who does Karen reluctantly agree to allow in the house?
(b) Mr. Tilford.
(c) Dr. Cardin.
(d) Mrs. Tilford.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is safe to say that Mary ______________________.
2. The trial had been publicized _____________________.
3. What kind of charges is Mary making against the headmistresses?
4. Which of the following does Mrs. Tilford not offer to Karen?
5. With what theme does the author end the play?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)