|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to the house at Mrs. Tilford's request?
(a) Dr. Cardin.
(b) Mrs. Mortar.
(c) Mrs. Munn.
(d) Professor Cardinal.
2. What does Mary do to scare Rosalie?
(b) Throws a book at her.
(c) Jumps out at her.
(d) Makes noises.
3. It is safe to say that Mary ______________________.
(a) doesn't even know what she has done wrong.
(b) will be sorry one day.
(c) will have to confess her sins.
(d) will behave maliciously for the rest of her life.
4. Who does Karen reluctantly agree to allow in the house?
(a) Mr. Tilford.
(c) Dr. Cardin.
(d) Mrs. Tilford.
5. Most people tend to destroy something __________________.
(a) that hurts them.
(b) that gets in their way.
(c) that is evil.
(d) they don't understand.
6. What does Martha finally reveal to Karen after Dr. Cardin leaves?
(a) Martha is moving to Australia.
(b) Martha has cancer.
(c) Martha loves Karen.
(d) Martha loves Dr. Cardin.
7. How have Karen and Martha behaved since the trial?
(a) Sequestered themselves in the school.
(b) Moved to New York.
(c) Given interviews on TV.
(d) Launched a new school in Vermont.
8. What does Mrs. Tilford tell Dr. Cardin about his marriage to Karen?
(a) She wants to give Karen a bridal shower.
(b) She wants to pay for the wedding flowers.
(c) She doesn't want him to marry Karen.
(d) She wants to host their wedding at her home.
9. Who questions Mary again about her story?
(a) Mrs. Munn.
(b) Dr. Cardin.
(c) Professor Cardinal.
(d) Mr. Savoy.
10. What guest is expected at the Tilford home?
(a) One of the girls from the school.
(b) An old college friend of Mr. Tilford's.
(c) Mrs. Mortar.
(d) Mrs. Tilford's sister.
11. What is the name of the guest expected at the Tilford home?
(c) Mrs. Mortar.
12. What was the content of the telegrams sent to Mrs. Mortar?
(a) A request for money to pay the attorneys.
(b) News of the death of an old friend.
(c) Requests for her to return and testify on Karen and Martha's behalf.
(d) The birth of a great grandchild.
13. What do Karen and Martha know about their careers now?
(a) There are few places they would be allowed to teach young girls.
(b) They are both burned out on teaching.
(c) They are highly in demand now.
(d) They will start a new school in another state.
14. Why do Karen and Martha want to talk to Mrs. Tilford?
(a) They are enlisting her help to organize a bake sale.
(b) She has encouraged all the parents to remove their daughters from the school.
(c) They want to confirm her grant to the school for next year.
(d) They would like her support in the next election.
15. What is Karen and Martha's intention at the Tilford house?
(a) Speak to the Garden Club.
(b) Attend a cocktail party.
(c) Confront Mrs. Tilford.
(d) Talk about Mary's grades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme associated with Mrs. Tilford at the end of the play?
2. Why does Rosalie have permission to stay at the Tilford home?
3. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How can the school be described now?
5. Why is Mrs. Mortar especially despicable?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)