|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Mortar not return to testify in the trial?
(a) She couldn't get a ship back in time.
(b) She didn't think she could be of much help.
(c) She refused.
(d) She did not get the telegrams.
2. What guest is expected at the Tilford home?
(a) Mrs. Tilford's sister.
(b) Mrs. Mortar.
(c) An old college friend of Mr. Tilford's.
(d) One of the girls from the school.
3. With what theme does the author end the play?
4. What has forced Martha to examine her feelings for Karen?
(a) Being lonely.
(b) Dr. Cardin's proposal to Karen.
(c) Growing older.
(d) Mary's allegations.
5. Why are Karen and Martha so outraged?
(a) That the plumber has charged more than his estimate.
(b) That the school bus is broken down again.
(c) That a malicious child can be allowed to create havoc.
(d) That Mrs. Tilford won't let them in the house.
6. What is Rosalie's demeanor when she enters the living room?
7. Why is Mrs. Mortar especially despicable?
(a) She talks about everyone she knows.
(b) She refused to testify when she could have reversed the legal decision.
(c) She spits when she talks.
(d) She is greedy.
8. What is Dr. Cardin's reaction to Mary's allegations?
(a) He cannot believe them.
(b) He has suspected them all along.
(c) He believes everything Mary says.
(d) He knows they are lies.
9. What is the literary technique used when Martha begins to examine her feelings for Karen after Mary's accusations surface?
10. How does Karen respond to Mrs. Tilford's offers?
(a) She rejects them outright.
(b) She will consider them.
(c) She cannot take the money.
(d) She accepts them.
11. Who knocks on the door soon after Martha's body is discovered?
(a) Dr. Cardin.
(b) Mrs. Munn.
(c) Professor Cardinal.
12. What is the demeanor of Karen and Martha?
(c) Low key.
13. Dr. Cardin believes that Mary is prone to _______________.
(b) coughing spells.
14. Why do Rosalie's parents want her away from the school?
(a) Because a new headmaster has taken over.
(b) Because of the inappropriate behavior of the headmistresses.
(c) Because she is homesick.
(d) Because of the crime on campus.
15. Which of the following has not contributed to Karen's despair?
(a) Her mother has recently died.
(b) Martha has committed suicide.
(c) Her career is over.
(d) Her engagement is broken off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Karen and Martha find flaws in Mary's story?
2. What is Mary doing as Rosalie enters the living room?
3. Which of the following does Karen not do after talking to Mrs. Tilford?
4. Why does Mary blackmail Rosalie?
5. Why do Karen and Martha want to talk to Mrs. Tilford?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)