|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Rosalie's parents?
(a) New York.
(b) Palm Beach.
2. How does Martha feel now about Mrs. Mortar?
(a) She hates her.
(b) She can tolerate her.
(c) She is indifferent toward her.
(d) She loves her.
3. Why did Mrs. Mortar not return to testify in the trial?
(a) She did not get the telegrams.
(b) She couldn't get a ship back in time.
(c) She refused.
(d) She didn't think she could be of much help.
4. Who arrives unexpectedly at the school?
(a) Mrs. Mortar.
(b) Mrs. Munn.
(c) Mr. Tilford.
(d) Professor Cardinal.
5. Everything that Karen loved ____________________.
(a) was worth everything she gave for it.
(b) has been taken from her.
(c) will never leave her.
(d) has loved her in return.
6. Which of the following does Karen not do after talking to Mrs. Tilford?
(a) Opens a window.
(b) Goes to a window.
(c) Makes a phone call.
(d) Sits on a window ledge.
7. Which of the following is not something Dr. Cardin has done?
(a) Sold his house.
(b) Started drinking Scotch for lunch.
(c) Plans to marry Karen right away.
(d) Secured a position in Vienna.
8. What do the adults' reactions validate in Mary?
(a) Her shyness.
(b) Her malicious behavior.
(c) Her timidity.
(d) Her generosity.
9. What is Mary doing as Rosalie enters the living room?
(b) Playing the piano.
10. It is safe to say that Mary ______________________.
(a) doesn't even know what she has done wrong.
(b) will behave maliciously for the rest of her life.
(c) will be sorry one day.
(d) will have to confess her sins.
11. What does Karen realize when Dr. Cardin says he really wants to ask the question about her relationship with Martha?
(a) She would want to ask if she were him.
(b) She can't marry him.
(c) She thinks he is incredibly rude.
(d) She loves him even more.
12. At the time this play was written, lesbianism was _________________.
(a) a sin.
(b) in vogue.
(d) not a public topic.
13. What concluded ten days ago?
(a) Final exams.
(b) The school year.
(c) A libel trial.
(d) An FBI investigation.
14. What is the literary technique used when Martha begins to examine her feelings for Karen after Mary's accusations surface?
15. Who arrives unexpectedly at the Tilford house?
(a) Reverend Miller.
(b) Mrs. Mortar.
(c) Professor Cardinal.
(d) Karen and Martha.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Karen and Martha hoping to avoid?
2. Which of the following has not contributed to Karen's despair?
3. Who does Karen reluctantly agree to allow in the house?
4. Whose bracelet will Mary claim that Rosalie stole?
5. The trial had been publicized _____________________.
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)