|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tilford tell Karen about Mary?
(a) She has been cut out of her will.
(b) She lied and coerced Rosalie to lie also.
(c) She has been sent away to boarding school.
(d) She regrets the lies she told.
2. With what does Martha threaten Mrs. Tilford?
(a) Newspaper ads.
(c) A libel suit.
(d) Bodily harm.
3. Why are Karen and Martha so outraged?
(a) That the plumber has charged more than his estimate.
(b) That a malicious child can be allowed to create havoc.
(c) That the school bus is broken down again.
(d) That Mrs. Tilford won't let them in the house.
4. The trial had been publicized _____________________.
(a) not at all.
5. Why does Rosalie have permission to stay at the Tilford home?
(a) The girls are going to a football game the next day.
(b) Mary is having a slumber party.
(c) Mary is having a birthday party for her.
(d) Mrs. Tilford called all the girls' parents about the accusations.
6. What does Karen ask Dr. Cardin to do?
(a) Make the arrangements for Vienna right away.
(b) Pick up some Chinese takeout for dinner.
(c) Go away and never come back.
(d) Go away for a couple days to reconsider the marriage.
7. How does Mary blackmail Rosalie?
(a) Threatens to tell that Rosalie drinks beer.
(b) Threatens to tell that Rosalie sneaks out to see boys.
(c) Threatens to tell that Rosalie smokes pot.
(d) Threatens to tell that Rosalie stole a bracelet.
8. Why do Karen and Martha want to talk to Mrs. Tilford?
(a) She has encouraged all the parents to remove their daughters from the school.
(b) They want to confirm her grant to the school for next year.
(c) They would like her support in the next election.
(d) They are enlisting her help to organize a bake sale.
9. Why does Martha chastise Mrs. Mortar?
(a) For tracking mud into the house.
(b) For not answering telegrams.
(c) For losing her keys.
(d) For writing bad checks.
10. How can the school be described now?
(c) Starting over again.
(d) Burned down.
11. What makes the only noise in the school now?
(a) A Grandfather clock.
(b) A noisy furnace.
(c) A squeaky ceiling fan.
(d) A relentlessly ringing phone.
12. To what can Mary's malicious destruction be compared?
(a) A fire that reduces everything to embers.
(b) A tornado flattening the landscape.
(c) A flood sweeping everything away.
(d) Acid eating away at something.
13. Which of the following is not something Dr. Cardin has done?
(a) Started drinking Scotch for lunch.
(b) Plans to marry Karen right away.
(c) Secured a position in Vienna.
(d) Sold his house.
14. What are Karen and Martha hoping to avoid?
(a) Leaving old friends.
(c) Having to move away.
(d) Ridicule and shame.
15. Most people tend to destroy something __________________.
(a) that is evil.
(b) that gets in their way.
(c) that hurts them.
(d) they don't understand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha beg Karen to do when she realizes Dr. Cardin is gone?
2. What do the adults' reactions validate in Mary?
3. What is Dr. Cardin's reaction to Mary's allegations?
4. Karen and Martha find it hard to ______________________.
5. Why did Mrs. Mortar not return to testify in the trial?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)