|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can the school be described now?
(c) Burned down.
(d) Starting over again.
2. Which of the following is not something Dr. Cardin has done?
(a) Sold his house.
(b) Started drinking Scotch for lunch.
(c) Secured a position in Vienna.
(d) Plans to marry Karen right away.
3. In what room of Mrs. Tilford's home does Act 2, Scene 2 take place?
(a) The dining room.
(b) The den.
(c) The living room.
(d) The kitchen.
4. What does Mary do to scare Rosalie?
(a) Jumps out at her.
(b) Throws a book at her.
(c) Makes noises.
5. Why do Karen and Martha want to talk to Mrs. Tilford?
(a) They are enlisting her help to organize a bake sale.
(b) She has encouraged all the parents to remove their daughters from the school.
(c) They want to confirm her grant to the school for next year.
(d) They would like her support in the next election.
6. What is Agatha doing as Act 2, Scene 2 begins?
(a) Making preparations for a guest.
(b) Making dinner.
(c) Arranging flowers.
(d) Packing clothes.
7. What is Rosalie's demeanor when she enters the living room?
8. Who is the only person the parents talk to before withdrawing their daughters from the school?
(a) Dr. Cardin.
(d) Mrs. Tilford.
9. Who questions Mary again about her story?
(a) Professor Cardinal.
(b) Mr. Savoy.
(c) Dr. Cardin.
(d) Mrs. Munn.
10. Everything that Karen loved ____________________.
(a) will never leave her.
(b) was worth everything she gave for it.
(c) has loved her in return.
(d) has been taken from her.
11. Karen and Martha find it hard to ______________________.
(c) think about a different kind of life.
12. Which of the following does Mrs. Tilford not offer to Karen?
(a) A formal public apology.
(b) A reversal of the legal judgment.
(c) Payment of Martha's funeral expenses.
(d) Financial retribution.
13. What does Martha finally reveal to Karen after Dr. Cardin leaves?
(a) Martha has cancer.
(b) Martha loves Dr. Cardin.
(c) Martha is moving to Australia.
(d) Martha loves Karen.
14. Why do Rosalie's parents want her away from the school?
(a) Because a new headmaster has taken over.
(b) Because of the crime on campus.
(c) Because of the inappropriate behavior of the headmistresses.
(d) Because she is homesick.
15. What do the adults' reactions validate in Mary?
(a) Her generosity.
(b) Her timidity.
(c) Her shyness.
(d) Her malicious behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karen ask Dr. Cardin when they are alone?
2. To what can Mary's malicious destruction be compared?
3. At the time this play was written, lesbianism was _________________.
4. In what room does Act 3 begin?
5. Why does Mary blackmail Rosalie?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)