|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Cardin react to Mrs. Tilford's statement about his marriage to Karen?
(a) He is grateful for her generosity.
(b) He appreciates the offer but can't accept it.
(c) He is outraged at the intrusion into his life.
(d) He understands her concerns.
2. Why does Rosalie have permission to stay at the Tilford home?
(a) Mrs. Tilford called all the girls' parents about the accusations.
(b) The girls are going to a football game the next day.
(c) Mary is having a birthday party for her.
(d) Mary is having a slumber party.
3. What is the name of the guest expected at the Tilford home?
(d) Mrs. Mortar.
4. Why is Mrs. Mortar especially despicable?
(a) She is greedy.
(b) She talks about everyone she knows.
(c) She spits when she talks.
(d) She refused to testify when she could have reversed the legal decision.
5. What guest is expected at the Tilford home?
(a) One of the girls from the school.
(b) Mrs. Mortar.
(c) Mrs. Tilford's sister.
(d) An old college friend of Mr. Tilford's.
6. What was the content of the telegrams sent to Mrs. Mortar?
(a) The birth of a great grandchild.
(b) Requests for her to return and testify on Karen and Martha's behalf.
(c) A request for money to pay the attorneys.
(d) News of the death of an old friend.
7. Where has Mrs. Mortar been during the trial?
8. What has forced Martha to examine her feelings for Karen?
(a) Mary's allegations.
(b) Being lonely.
(c) Dr. Cardin's proposal to Karen.
(d) Growing older.
9. What kind of charges is Mary making against the headmistresses?
(a) Completely false.
(b) Completely true.
(c) Probably true.
(d) A little bit true.
10. Who arrives unexpectedly at the school?
(a) Professor Cardinal.
(b) Mrs. Munn.
(c) Mrs. Mortar.
(d) Mr. Tilford.
11. What does Karen ask Dr. Cardin to do?
(a) Go away for a couple days to reconsider the marriage.
(b) Go away and never come back.
(c) Make the arrangements for Vienna right away.
(d) Pick up some Chinese takeout for dinner.
12. Why did Mrs. Mortar not return to testify in the trial?
(a) She couldn't get a ship back in time.
(b) She didn't think she could be of much help.
(c) She did not get the telegrams.
(d) She refused.
13. At the time this play was written, what was not condoned as proper among those teaching children?
14. What concluded ten days ago?
(a) The school year.
(b) Final exams.
(c) A libel trial.
(d) An FBI investigation.
15. Who comes to the house at Mrs. Tilford's request?
(a) Mrs. Munn.
(b) Dr. Cardin.
(c) Mrs. Mortar.
(d) Professor Cardinal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tilford tell Karen about Mary?
2. What are Karen and Martha hoping to avoid?
3. What does Karen ask Dr. Cardin when they are alone?
4. Who knocks on the door soon after Martha's body is discovered?
5. What does Karen know about Dr. Cardin at this point in time?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)