|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "He was going to make a good man, that boy. Sharp like a needle point, that boy, he took the university exams a year before everyone else in this area?"
2. How does the female narrator's father prevent the her arrest?
3. What is the female narrator referring to in this sentence, "And when we see each other again, it will seem like we lost no time?"
4. Who was coming to arrest the female narrator?
5. Which of these statements is true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"This heaven was nothing like I expected. It was at the bottom of the sea. There were starfishes and mermaids all around me. The mermaids were dancing and singing in Latin like the priests do at the cathedral during Mass. You were there with me too, at the bottom of the sea. You were with your family, off to the side. Your father was acting like her was better than everyone else and he was standing in front of the sea cave blocking you from my view. I tried to talk to you, but every time I opened my mouth, water bubbles came out. No sounds."
Consider the narrator's dream. What do you think it means? Pay attention to symbolism, foreshadowing, and imagery.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the evolution of the behavior of the passengers on board. How does their treatment of one another reflect the author's purpose? Be sure to use examples.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the banyan tree symbolizes in the story? When does it appear? Who sits under it? What does the narrator say her mother told her about banyan trees? What impact do you think it has on the narrative?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)