|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the female narrator say the mountains are doing?
2. What is the gender of the second narrator?
3. Who is the female narrator referring to in this passage, "He called me selfish, and he asked if i hadn't seen or heard what was happening to man-crazy whores like me. I shouted that i wasn't a whore. He had no business calling me that"?
4. What does the narrators father call the place they are escaping to?
5. What sacrifice does the female narrator's father make for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"From here, I cannot even see the sea. Behind these mountains are more mountains and more black butterflies still and a sea that is endless like my love for you." Think about this quote from the end of the story. What is it's significance? What are its contrasting elements? What does this say about the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Think about the symbolism of butterflies in the story. How does the image of butterflies evolve? What does this tell us about the events in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the relationship between the second narrator and her father. What helps the narrator come to terms with her father's decision? Who influences the narrator's change of heart? Does this mean she is able to forsake her love for the first narrator?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)