|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between the female narrator's family in the latrine?
2. Who is the female narrator referring to in this sentence, "I wish he would catch a bullet so we could see how scared he really is"?
3. What did the female narrator's neighbor Madan Roger come home with?
4. Who was coming to arrest the female narrator?
5. Who says, "it had happened before all over this country and tonight it will happen again and there is nothing we can do?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the sea personified in the story? What do the narrators descriptions of the sea tell us about the narrator himself? How does this contrast with the female narrator's descriptions of the mountains?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Madan Roger. What is significant about her? What does she represent in the story? Be sure to use examples.
Essay Topic 3
"This heaven was nothing like I expected. It was at the bottom of the sea. There were starfishes and mermaids all around me. The mermaids were dancing and singing in Latin like the priests do at the cathedral during Mass. You were there with me too, at the bottom of the sea. You were with your family, off to the side. Your father was acting like her was better than everyone else and he was standing in front of the sea cave blocking you from my view. I tried to talk to you, but every time I opened my mouth, water bubbles came out. No sounds."
Consider the narrator's dream. What do you think it means? Pay attention to symbolism, foreshadowing, and imagery.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)