|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does the male narrator originally think Celianne is?
2. What did the soldiers make Celianne's brother do?
3. What is the gender of the first narrator?
4. Why is the young man on the boat fleeing for a second time?
5. What does the male narrator say has finally made him an African?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ville Rose. Why is it special for the female narrator?
2. Describe the background between Manman and the narrator's father. How does this mirror his expectations for his daughter?
3. Describe the old man on the boat.
4. What results is the female narrator waiting to hear on the radio? Why is this important?
5. What happens during the female narrator's trip to Ville Rose?
6. What does the female narrator tell her father at the dinner table? Why does she do this? What is his reaction?
7. What does the female narrator do in a "last resort" way to preserve hope after the black butterflies come? Does it work?
8. What happened to the young man on the boat the first time he tried to sail to Miami?
9. What does the female narrator ask of her boyfriend? How does this differ from his request to her?
10. What bird do both of the narrators mention? In what way do each of them refer to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the symbolism of butterflies in the story. How does the image of butterflies evolve? What does this tell us about the events in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Think about all the gruesome descriptions the female narrator offers. What tone does she take when describing? What does this tell us about the narrator? About Haitians?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the evolution of the behavior of the passengers on board. How does their treatment of one another reflect the author's purpose? Be sure to use examples.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)