|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Agwé?
2. What is odd about Celianne's baby?
3. What is the connection between the old man and Cèlianne?
4. Who says, "It is only my misfortune that would lump me together with an indigent like you?"
5. Who is the first narrator referring to in this sentence? "She is short and speaks in a singsong that reminds me of the villages of the north."
Short Essay Questions
1. At what point does the female narrator's opinion of her father change entirely? Who helps her come to understand his actions?
2. Describe Celianne.
3. What does the male narrator say about religion? What are his beliefs, if any?
4. What is the male narrator's last memory of his mother? How do you think this affects him?
5. Describe the background between Manman and the narrator's father. How does this mirror his expectations for his daughter?
6. Describe the conflict between the female narrator's parents.
7. Describe the male narrator's interaction with the old man on the boat.
8. What do they name Celianne's child? What does the male narrator say about naming a child? What does this contrast tell us?
9. What happens after the female narrator thanks her father? What is significant about this?
10. Who is Madan Roger? What happens to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"From here, I cannot even see the sea. Behind these mountains are more mountains and more black butterflies still and a sea that is endless like my love for you." Think about this quote from the end of the story. What is it's significance? What are its contrasting elements? What does this say about the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the relationship between the second narrator and her father. What helps the narrator come to terms with her father's decision? Who influences the narrator's change of heart? Does this mean she is able to forsake her love for the first narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Think about all the gruesome descriptions the female narrator offers. What tone does she take when describing? What does this tell us about the narrator? About Haitians?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)