|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the passengers use to cut Cèlianne's umbilical cord?
(a) A paring knife.
(b) A razor.
(c) A switchblade.
(d) A Swiss Army knife.
2. Where are the people on the boat sailing towards?
(a) The Bahamas.
(c) The United States.
3. Why do the passengers choose the name Swiss?
(a) For the knife they used to cut the umbilical cord.
(b) Because they were trying to survive on rations of cheese.
(c) Because of the ethnicity of Celianne.
(d) Because Celianne dreamed of going to Switzerland.
4. What is the relationship between the two narrators?
(a) Father and daughter.
(b) They are lovers.
(c) Brother and sister.
5. What is used as the sail of the boat?
(a) Shirts sewn together.
(b) They have no sail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they see a coast guard boat coming?
2. How old is the male narrator?
3. What was the male narrator's radio show about?
4. What does the male narrator try to buy from the women on board?
5. With what do they patch the hole with at the bottom of the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict between the female narrator's parents.
2. What happened to Celianne? Why is she leaving Haiti?
3. What happens in the male narrator's dream?
4. Describe the male narrator's reaction to Celianne going into labor. What does this reveal about the narrator?
5. Why does the female narrator's father stay at his brother's house? What character embodies this fear?
6. How does the soldiers' visit to Madan Roger's house lead to her death?
7. Why does Celianne jump overboard?
8. What is the significance of butterflies in the story?
9. What separates the male narrator from the other passengers? How does he think differently? What does he do that the other passengers do not?
10. Describe the last time the male narrator saw his mother.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)