|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the male narrator pray for?
(a) That they will not hit a storm.
(b) That his love will marry a soldier for protection.
(c) That the sea will part like in the Bible.
(d) That the sea will open up and swallow their boat.
2. What was the male narrator's last memory of his mother?
(a) Giving him money for his trip.
(b) At home making dinner.
(c) Waving goodbye at the port.
(d) Her fainting by the ocean.
3. Why is the young man on the boat fleeing for a second time?
(a) He is actually a U.S. citizen.
(b) He needs proper medical care for his leg.
(c) He is a drug runner and the police are after him.
(d) He escaped once but was brought back by the Coast Guard.
4. What does the male narrator dream?
(a) All of these.
(b) That mermaids sang in Latin.
(c) That he died and went to heaven.
(d) That heaven was at the bottom of the sea.
5. What do the passengers do to ease their nausea?
(a) Take turns swimming next to the boat.
(b) Take turns rowing.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Sing songs and tell stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does the male narrator originally think Celianne is?
2. What do the passengers use the tar for?
3. Who said, "Gossip spreads here like everywhere else"?
4. What spirit does the male narrator say he has to throw his remaining possessions over to?
5. What is the setting the first narrator is in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Banyan tree. Why is it important?
2. Describe the last time the male narrator saw his mother.
3. Describe the male narrator's interaction with the old man on the boat.
4. What do they name Celianne's child? What does the male narrator say about naming a child? What does this contrast tell us?
5. What does the female narrator's father say about self-preservation that disturbs Manman?
6. What happens during the female narrator's trip to Ville Rose?
7. What does the male narrator say about religion? What are his beliefs, if any?
8. What separates the male narrator from the other passengers? How does he think differently? What does he do that the other passengers do not?
9. Describe the relationship between Manman and the female narrator.
10. What happened to Celianne? Why is she leaving Haiti?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)