|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the female narrator thank her father?
(a) Because he saved her life.
(b) Because he protected her from black butterflies.
(c) Because he gave her permission to marry her boyfriend.
(d) Because he planted the banyan tree.
2. What do black butterflies bring?
(b) Happy news.
(c) It does not say.
(d) Warnings of death.
3. Who is Madan Roger?
(a) The female narrator's neighbor.
(b) The female narrator's uncle.
(c) The female narrator's cousin.
(d) The female narrator's mother.
4. Where do the Haitian people gather to meet the president?
(a) The president's house.
(b) The capitol.
(c) The port.
(d) The airport.
5. What happened at the airport?
(a) None of the above.
(b) The president was assassinated.
(c) The president came back and regained his power.
(d) They arrested and/or shot people waiting for the president's return.
6. Who says, "I don't know what is going to happen, but I cannot see staying here forever?"
(a) The female narrator.
(b) The narrator's father.
(d) Madan Roger.
7. What does the female narrator do when she sees the black butterfly?
(a) Tries to kill it.
(b) Reaches out her hand for it.
(c) She runs away so it won't land on her.
(d) Catches it in a net.
8. Who is Manman?
(a) The female narrator's mother.
(b) Their neighbor.
(c) The female narrator's father.
(d) The maid.
9. What is there a lot of in Ville Rose?
10. What does the female narrator say her father moves like when she thanks him?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A true father.
(d) A bear.
11. Fill in the blanks. "Sometimes you have to choose between _________ and _________."
(a) Your mother and your father.
(b) Liberty and death.
(c) Freedom and safety.
(d) Your father and the man you love.
12. What kind of tree does the second narrator stand underneath?
(a) A palm tree.
(b) A Magnolia tree.
(c) A Banyan tree.
(d) A maple tree.
13. What does the female narrator say about hail?
(a) It falls like golf balls from the sky.
(b) It fall like angry tears from heaven.
(c) It is calming.
(d) It is annoying.
14. What promise does the female narrator reaffirm?
(a) To keep writing, and he will keep writing as well.
(b) To avenge her lover's death.
(c) To obey her father no matter what.
(d) To marry someone that can take care of her.
15. What does the father do when the female narrator thanks him?
(a) Gives her a hug.
(b) Moves his hand away and grunts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the female narrator's family headed?
2. Why does the female narrator tell her father that she loves her boyfriend?
3. What sacrifice does the female narrator's father make for her?
4. Why can't the female narrator's family get out of the city?
5. What rumor spreads in Haiti?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)