|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the female narrator referring to in this sentence, "I wish he would catch a bullet so we could see how scared he really is"?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her Uncle.
(d) Her boyfriend.
2. How does the story end?
(a) The female narrator runs away from her father.
(b) The lovers reunite.
(c) The female narrator goes to Florida.
(d) None of these.
3. What sacrifice does the female narrator's father make for her?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He kills a soldier that is attacking her.
(c) He sells his land and gives all his money to prevent her from being arrested.
(d) He gives his life for her.
4. Why doesn't the female narrator's father approve of her boyfriend?
(a) They do not have the same political views.
(b) He wants someone who can provide her with more.
(c) He is racist.
(d) He thinks the young man is not smart.
5. Which of these statements is true?
(a) Madan Roger carries her son's body all the way home.
(b) The narrator's family saves Madan Roger from the soldiers.
(c) Madan Roger only brings her son's head home.
(d) Madan Roger kills soldiers to avenge her son's death.
6. What did the female narrator's neighbor Madan Roger come home with?
(a) Her son's head.
(d) Black butterflies.
7. What is the setting the second narrator is in?
(a) The Bahamas.
(c) A boat at sea.
8. Who says, "People are just too hopeful, and sometimes hope is the biggest weapon of all to use against us?"
(b) Madan Roger.
(c) The narrator's father.
(d) The narrator.
9. What does the female narrator's father find in her room?
(a) Her boyfriend's radio tapes.
10. Why can't the female narrator's family get out of the city?
(a) Her father doesn't want to leave.
(b) The narrator refuses to leave until she hears from her boyfriend.
(c) There is a ban on gasoline.
(d) THey have no car.
11. Who is Manman?
(a) The female narrator's mother.
(b) The female narrator's father.
(c) Their neighbor.
(d) The maid.
12. What were the soldiers asking Madan Roger?
(a) Whether she was planning to kill the president.
(b) Whether she was a member of the youth federation her son belonged to.
(c) Why she was unhappy.
(d) Where the male narrator was.
13. What kind of tree does the second narrator stand underneath?
(a) A Banyan tree.
(b) A Magnolia tree.
(c) A palm tree.
(d) A maple tree.
14. Where does the female narrator's mother talk to her?
(a) Under the banyan tree.
(b) In the house.
(c) At the dinner table.
(d) In the car.
15. What does the narrator say lies beyond the mountains?
(a) More mountains.
(b) The sea.
(c) The beach.
(d) The jungle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's father do the day the family leaves the city?
2. How long does the female narrator say banyan trees last?
3. Who says, "He cannot protect us. Only God can protect us?"
4. What does the father do when the female narrator thanks him?
5. Who said, "Oh yes, you can let them kill somebody because you are afraid. They are the law. It is their right?"
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)