|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the female narrator say banyan trees last?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Hundreds of years.
(c) One year.
(d) Ten years.
2. What does the female narrator's mother purchase for herself and her daughter?
(a) Straw hats.
(b) Black cloth to wrap around their heads.
3. Where do the butterflies land to bring news?
(a) On the female narrator's foot.
(b) On the female narrator's hand.
(c) On the female narrator's arm.
(d) On the female narrator's head.
4. What did the female narrator see as they were driving out of the city?
(a) Madan Roger.
(b) A soldier shaving a woman's head.
(c) They could not leave the city.
(d) A koala bear.
5. Why does the female narrator's father sleep at his brother's house?
(a) Because he and the narrator's mother are separated.
(b) To protect his brother's family.
(c) So that soldiers do not make him sleep with his daughter.
(d) It does not say.
6. Where is the female narrator's family headed?
(a) Ville Rose.
(b) The Bahamas.
(c) Port au Prince.
7. How does the story end?
(a) The female narrator runs away from her father.
(b) The lovers reunite.
(c) None of these.
(d) The female narrator goes to Florida.
8. How old is Madan Roger?
(c) It does not say.
9. How does the female narrator's father prevent the her arrest?
(a) He pays the soldiers off.
(b) He proves her innocence.
(c) He shoots at them.
(d) He talks them out of it.
10. How old is the second narrator?
(d) Nineteen or twenty.
11. What does the female narrator say seems to hurt her father's feelings?
(a) His powerlessness.
(b) She and Manman talking under the banyan tree.
(c) The arguments between him and Madan Roger.
(d) His rejection from the army.
12. What is there a lot of in Ville Rose?
13. What does the narrators father call the place they are escaping to?
(b) Children of the Sea.
(c) The sunshine state.
14. Who was coming to arrest the female narrator?
(a) Radio Six.
(c) None of the above.
(d) The youth federation.
15. Who is the female narrator referring to in this sentence, "At the morgue, they say a car ran over him and took the head off his body?"
(a) The female narrator's boyfriend.
(b) The female narrator's father.
(c) Madan Roger.
(d) Madan Roger's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the female narrator think her boyfriend might be dead?
2. What does the female narrator say her father moves like when she thanks him?
3. Who used to be a gardener?
4. What do both of the narrators refer to their love as?
5. Who is Madan Roger?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)