|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the female narrator almost arrested?
(a) They thought she was a member of the youth federation.
(b) She is a criminal.
(c) She murdered Madan Roger.
(d) None of the above.
2. Why is the second narrator listening for the first narrator's name on the radio?
(a) To see if he passed the University exams.
(b) To see if he is still alive.
(c) To hear his political opinion.
(d) To see if the soldiers let him go free.
3. What is the gender of the second narrator?
(b) It does not say.
(d) There is no narrator.
4. Why doesn't the second narrator sketch butterflies anymore?
(a) Because her father forbids her to.
(b) She does not say.
(c) Because Madan Roger told her the black ones bring bad news.
(d) Because she doesn't know how.
5. What is the female narrator referring to in this sentence, "And when we see each other again, it will seem like we lost no time?"
(a) The idea that if they keep writing one another it will seem like they were never apart.
(b) Their reunion in death.
(c) Their reunion in Miami.
(d) Recording tapes to each other so they can send them in the mail.
6. Who is the female narrator referring to in this passage, "He called me selfish, and he asked if i hadn't seen or heard what was happening to man-crazy whores like me. I shouted that i wasn't a whore. He had no business calling me that"?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(c) Madan Roger.
(d) Her father.
7. What constantly surrounds the female narrator near the end of the story?
(a) Black butterflies.
(d) The arms of the banyan tree.
8. What does the narrator's father do the day the family leaves the city?
(a) Burns their house down.
(b) Apologizes to the female narrator.
(c) Checks on Madan Roger.
(d) Kills a soldier.
9. Who said, "Oh yes, you can let them kill somebody because you are afraid. They are the law. It is their right?"
(a) The narrator's father.
(b) The female narrator.
(c) Madan Roger.
(d) The narrator's mother.
10. What does the female narrator's mother purchase for herself and her daughter?
(a) Straw hats.
(c) Black cloth to wrap around their heads.
11. Why aren't Manman and the narrator's father speaking to one another?
(a) They are thinking of divorce.
(b) Because of how he treats the narrator.
(c) It is not proper to speak to one another in public.
(d) Because of what happened the night soldiers came to Madan Roger's house.
12. Why were students shot outside the Fort Dimanche Prison?
(a) They were trying to help the Radio Six escape.
(b) They were demonstrating for the bodies of the radio six.
(c) None of the above.
(d) They had weapons and threatened to use them.
13. Why can't the female narrator's family get out of the city?
(a) There is a ban on gasoline.
(b) Her father doesn't want to leave.
(c) The narrator refuses to leave until she hears from her boyfriend.
(d) THey have no car.
14. What does the female narrator throw rocks at?
(c) All butterflies.
(d) Black butterflies.
15. What part of the female narrator's body shivers when she thinks of her boyfriend in danger?
(a) Her heart.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her arms.
(d) Her skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at the airport?
2. Fill in the blanks. "Sometimes you have to choose between _________ and _________."
3. Why does the female narrator think her boyfriend might be dead?
4. What does the female narrator refer to the soldiers as?
5. How does the second narrator pass time in the house?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)