|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is odd about Celianne's baby?
(a) It has no hair.
(b) It screams constantly.
(c) It does not cry.
(d) Celianne did not have a baby.
2. How many holes does the first narrator mention the passengers patching up?
3. Which of these statements is false?
(a) Celianne drowns with her baby.
(b) The passengers have to throw all their possessions overboard.
(c) The male narrator helps Celianne deliver the baby.
(d) The passengers run out of food.
4. Which of these does not appear in the male narrator's dream?
(d) His girlfriend's family.
5. With what do they patch the hole with at the bottom of the boat?
(b) The sole of a shoe.
6. Celianne gives birth to:
(a) A boy.
(b) Nothing; it was a false labor.
(c) Celianne was never pregnant.
(d) A baby girl.
7. What do the passengers name Cèlianne's baby?
(b) Baby Suggs.
(d) Baby Swiss.
8. Who says, "It is only my misfortune that would lump me together with an indigent like you?"
(a) The old man.
(b) The male narrator.
(c) It does not specify.
(d) The captain.
9. What does the first narrator write of the sea?
(a) That he may be a child of the sea.
(b) All of these.
(c) It is endless.
(d) The smell.
10. What was the male narrator's last memory of his mother?
(a) Waving goodbye at the port.
(b) Her fainting by the ocean.
(c) At home making dinner.
(d) Giving him money for his trip.
11. What religion does the first narrator belong to?
(c) The narrator is not very religious.
12. What color does the first narrator say the sea is at night?
(c) White, illuminated by the stars.
13. What did the soldiers make Celianne's brother do?
(a) Join the army.
(b) Pledge allegiance to the Haitian government.
(c) Impregnate Celianne.
(d) Rape his own mother.
14. Fill in the blanks: "Someone says, Krik? You answer _______."
15. What was the male narrator's radio show about?
(a) Psychiatry/ Counseling
(b) Political talk and current events.
(c) Upcoming bands and new releases.
(d) Popular music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the main characters in the story?
2. What is used as the sail of the boat?
3. What does the male narrator ask of his lover?
4. Why doesn't Celianne's baby cry?
5. Why does Cèlianne wake up screaming the first time?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)