|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the male narrator leave Haiti?
(a) He thinks he can make more money in the United States.
(b) He is running away from his lover's angry father.
(c) He is fleeing the oppression of the Haitian government.
(d) He escaped prison and is hoping for freedom in the U.S.
2. What happened to the male narrator's mother the last time he saw her?
(a) His mother is in the boat with him.
(b) She was killed by soldiers
(c) She fainted as he was sailing away.
(d) His mother died in childbirth.
3. What specifically does the male narrator say about soldiers?
(a) They make a lot of money.
(b) They are acting in the best interest of the country.
(c) They are not human.
(d) His love should marry a soldier to protect her family.
4. Where are the people on the boat from?
(b) The Bahamas.
5. Who said, "If you see me again, I'll be so dark?"
(a) Narrator 2's mother.
(b) The female narrator.
(c) The male narrator.
(d) Narrator 2's father.
6. Who said, "Gossip spreads here like everywhere else"?
(a) The male narrator.
(b) The old man.
(c) A woman on the boat.
7. What is the first narrator's name?
(c) He is not named.
8. Where are the people on the boat sailing towards?
(a) The United States.
(c) The Bahamas.
9. What does the male narrator try to buy from the women on board?
(a) A keepsake.
(c) A hat.
10. Celianne gives birth to:
(a) Nothing; it was a false labor.
(b) Celianne was never pregnant.
(c) A baby girl.
(d) A boy.
11. What does the old man call the first narrator?
12. What is the connection between the old man and Cèlianne?
(a) Nothing; they are both passengers.
(b) Uncle and niece.
(c) Father and daughter.
13. Who is the father of Celianne's baby?
(a) She is not sure; she was raped.
(b) Celianne is not pregnant.
(c) A forbidden lover.
(d) The narrator.
14. How are Haitians treated in the Bahamas?
(a) "Like dogs."
(b) "Like royalty."
(c) "Like prisoners."
(d) "Like slaves."
15. What do the Protestants see themselves as?
(a) Noah's Ark.
(b) Job or the Children of Israel.
(c) Sodom and Gomorrh.
(d) Adam and Eve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used as the sail of the boat?
2. How old does the male narrator originally think Celianne is?
3. How many holes does the first narrator mention the passengers patching up?
4. What is the male narrator afraid might happen once they get deep at sea?
5. Who says, "The sea in that spot is like the sharks that live there. It has no mercy?"
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)