|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Celianne?
2. Who did the male narrator leave behind in Haiti?
(a) His parents only.
(b) His father and brother.
(c) His brother and sister.
(d) His girlfriend and his mother.
3. What does the male narrator say has finally made him an African?
(a) Being one with the sea.
(b) The fact he is fleeing his homeland.
(c) The sun beating down and constantly darkening his skin.
(d) Rowing a boat towards America.
4. What is the male narrator afraid might happen once they get deep at sea?
(a) Having nightmares.
(b) Getting a sunburn.
(c) Getting lost.
(d) The narrator does not say.
5. What is used as the sail of the boat?
(a) They have no sail.
(c) Shirts sewn together.
6. Why is the first narrator grateful there are no children on the boat?
(a) He could not bear their complaints or cries.
(b) They would add too much weight.
(c) They do not understand oppression, therefore their presence is not validated.
(d) They would remind him of the despair they are struggling against.
7. Who says, "Maybe we will go to Guinin, to live with the spirits, to be with everyone who has come and has died before us?"
(a) The male narrator.
(b) The captain.
(d) The old man.
8. What do the Protestants see themselves as?
(a) Sodom and Gomorrh.
(b) Noah's Ark.
(c) Job or the Children of Israel.
(d) Adam and Eve.
9. Fill in the blanks: "Someone says, Krik? You answer _______."
10. Why doesn't Celianne's baby cry?
(a) Because it is stillborn.
(b) Because Celianne throws it overboard after she delivers.
(c) Because the passengers take turns rocking it to sleep.
(d) Because it is a good baby.
11. Where are the people on the boat from?
(c) The Bahamas.
12. Who is the male narrator referring to in these sentences: "They say the Lord gives and the Lord takes away. I have never been given very much. What was there to take away?"
(a) The government.
(b) His family.
(c) The Protestants on the boat.
(d) Radio Six.
13. Who is the male narrator referring to when he says, "They're almost not human?"
(a) None of the above.
(d) The other passengers.
14. What is the relationship between the two narrators?
(a) They are lovers.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) Father and daughter.
15. What does the male narrator dream?
(a) That heaven was at the bottom of the sea.
(b) All of these.
(c) That mermaids sang in Latin.
(d) That he died and went to heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cèlianne wake up screaming the first time?
2. What do the passengers use to cut Cèlianne's umbilical cord?
3. What does the male narrator ask of his lover?
4. Why do the passengers choose the name Swiss?
5. How old does the male narrator originally think Celianne is?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)