|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "The sea in that spot is like the sharks that live there. It has no mercy?"
(a) The old man.
(d) The male narrator.
2. What is the first narrator's name?
(a) He is not named.
3. Who says they see a coast guard boat coming?
(a) The male narrator.
(b) The captain.
(d) The old man.
4. Who says, "Maybe the world is flat and we are going to find out, like the navigators of old?"
(b) The male narrator.
(c) The old man.
5. What does the first narrator say the sea smells like?
(a) Every fish you have ever eaten.
6. What spirit does the male narrator say he has to throw his remaining possessions over to?
(a) Zeus, the spirit of the sun.
(b) Agwe, the spirit of the water.
(c) Gali, the spirit of hope.
(d) Vishnu, the spirit of the sky.
7. Fill in the blanks: "Someone says, Krik? You answer _______."
8. What do the passengers use the tar for?
(a) To help Celianne deliver the baby.
(b) To patch up holes in the boat.
(c) As fuel for the motor.
(d) As sunscreen.
9. What does the male narrator ask of his lover?
(a) Not to wait for him, as he may die in his effort to escape.
(b) To always voice her beliefs, no matter the consequence.
(c) Not to marry a soldier.
(d) To have the courage to tell her father about their relationship.
10. What does the male narrator remember about Miami?
(a) There are many opportunities for Haitians in Miami.
(b) It is sunny and doesn't snow.
(c) The narrator can't remember anything about Miami.
(d) They speak Spanish there.
11. What is odd about Celianne's baby?
(a) It does not cry.
(b) It has no hair.
(c) It screams constantly.
(d) Celianne did not have a baby.
12. Why do the passengers choose the name Swiss?
(a) Because of the ethnicity of Celianne.
(b) Because Celianne dreamed of going to Switzerland.
(c) For the knife they used to cut the umbilical cord.
(d) Because they were trying to survive on rations of cheese.
13. Who is the father of Celianne's baby?
(a) A forbidden lover.
(b) The narrator.
(c) Celianne is not pregnant.
(d) She is not sure; she was raped.
14. Why does the male narrator leave Haiti?
(a) He thinks he can make more money in the United States.
(b) He escaped prison and is hoping for freedom in the U.S.
(c) He is running away from his lover's angry father.
(d) He is fleeing the oppression of the Haitian government.
15. How many other people are on the boat?
(a) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the male narrator leave behind in Haiti?
2. How old does the male narrator originally think Celianne is?
3. Who is the first narrator referring to in this sentence? "She is short and speaks in a singsong that reminds me of the villages of the north."
4. Who is the male narrator referring to when he says, "They're almost not human?"
5. What do the Protestants see themselves as?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)