|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does the male narrator originally think Celianne is?
(a) Seventeen or eighteen.
(b) Nineteen or twenty.
(c) Twelve or thirteen.
(d) Fifteen or sixteen.
2. What does the male narrator remember about Miami?
(a) They speak Spanish there.
(b) There are many opportunities for Haitians in Miami.
(c) It is sunny and doesn't snow.
(d) The narrator can't remember anything about Miami.
3. What color does the first narrator say the sea is at night?
(c) White, illuminated by the stars.
4. Which of these does not appear in the male narrator's dream?
(a) His girlfriend's family.
5. What does the first narrator say lies beyond the mountains?
(b) The sea.
(d) More mountains.
6. What does the male narrator dream?
(a) That mermaids sang in Latin.
(b) That he died and went to heaven.
(c) All of these.
(d) That heaven was at the bottom of the sea.
7. What do the passengers use the tar for?
(a) To patch up holes in the boat.
(b) As sunscreen.
(c) As fuel for the motor.
(d) To help Celianne deliver the baby.
8. What do the passengers name Cèlianne's baby?
(a) Baby Suggs.
(b) Baby Swiss.
9. Fill in the blanks: "Someone says, Krik? You answer _______."
10. Why does the male narrator feign nausea?
(a) So he can write undisturbed.
(b) He does not want to be seen crying.
(c) So he doesn't have to help Celianne with the baby.
(d) His nausea is always real.
11. Who says, "I see you crying like a crushed snail, the way you cried when I helped you pull out your first tooth?"
(b) The male narrator's mother.
(c) The male narrator's father.
(d) The first narrator.
12. What does the male narrator say has finally made him an African?
(a) The fact he is fleeing his homeland.
(b) Being one with the sea.
(c) The sun beating down and constantly darkening his skin.
(d) Rowing a boat towards America.
13. What is odd about Celianne's baby?
(a) It screams constantly.
(b) It does not cry.
(c) It has no hair.
(d) Celianne did not have a baby.
14. Where are the people on the boat from?
(a) The Bahamas.
15. Who says, "Maybe we will go to Guinin, to live with the spirits, to be with everyone who has come and has died before us?"
(b) The captain.
(c) The old man.
(d) The male narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used as the sail of the boat?
2. Who are the main characters in the story?
3. Why is the young man on the boat fleeing for a second time?
4. Why do the passengers choose the name Swiss?
5. Why does the male narrator refer to Agwé?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)