|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah believes that she is too _________ to learn how to lip read or to speak well.
2. James is the only one to answer the _____________ as he is the only one who hears it.
3. Orin and Sarah were told that organ music was the voice of God and it should __________ them.
4. Orin tells Sarah about the _________ he has hired about a claim he wants to make.
5. What does James complement Orin on when he comes over for dinner one night.
Essay Topic 1
The idea that James and Sarah fall in love and get married is one for which the audience roots and encourages.
Part 1: Why do you think James and Sarah fall in love with each other?
Part 2: Do you think their relationship has the ability to last a long time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think James and Sarah are trying to change each other?
Essay Topic 2
It is revealed that Sarah stopped talking because no one realized she was deaf, only that she might be mentally handicapped.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah decided it was better to be seen as deaf?
Part 2: Do you think Sarah should have continued to talk anyway?
Part 3: How would you react if someone thought you were mentally handicapped?
Essay Topic 3
The role of James at the school is to teach lip reading and to teach speech to the deaf.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for deaf people to learn how to lip read and to speak?
Part 2: Do you think the hearing community is being too forceful in its attempts to try to help deaf people interact as though they were not deaf? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think a deaf person can have an average life without learning how to lip read or to speak? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,646 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)