|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah reveals that the entire conversation between her, Klein, Orin, and James made her feel she was being treated like __________.
2. Sarah admits to Orin that she was never good at the kind of _________ that Orin wanted.
3. Sarah moves out of the conversation as ___________ begins to speak for her.
4. Orin tells Sarah about the _________ he has hired about a claim he wants to make.
5. Sarah believes that she is too _________ to learn how to lip read or to speak well.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD is one that immediately affects the person who hears it or reads it.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose the title that they did?
Part 2: Do you think the play should have been titled differently? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the author meant by 'lesser god'?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting to many about this play is that while it might seem more reasonable to portray the deaf community as being flawless, these characters are not shown in the best of light.
Part 1: Why do you think some authors believe it easier to portray those with handicaps as being without fault?
Part 2: Do you think the deaf characters are portrayed realistically in this play? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the deaf community might respond to the deaf characters in this play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Sarah felt that when she was younger she had to prove herself, so she had sex with boys in order to show she could do something better than hearing girls could.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah made the choice to use sex as a way to prove herself?
Part 2: What other things might Sarah have done in order to prove her worthiness to others?
Part 3: How does your opinion of Sarah change when you hear about her past? Or doesn't it?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)