|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orin points out that the school is supposed to exist for the ___________ of its students.
2. Sarah believes that she is too _________ to learn how to lip read or to speak well.
3. What does Klein try to do in order to impress Orin and Sarah during their next meeting?
4. What does James point out about the way that Klein was speaking once Sarah shows she was jealous of their interaction?
5. What does Orin want Sarah to read at least before meeting with the lawyer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah seems to want to remain in her silence for long periods of time, as it seems to be the safer place for her to reside.
Part 1: Why is Sarah always trying to remain in her silence when she could be interacting with others?
Part 2: Why doesn't Sarah want James to be a part of her silence?
Part 3: Why does James want to be a part of Sarah's silence?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of moments in which the many languages are barriers to communication.
Part 1: Why do you think communication is so important in this world?
Part 2: Can the world survive without the ability to communicate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the play begins with Sarah and James not being able to communicate?
Essay Topic 3
The role of James at the school is to teach lip reading and to teach speech to the deaf.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for deaf people to learn how to lip read and to speak?
Part 2: Do you think the hearing community is being too forceful in its attempts to try to help deaf people interact as though they were not deaf? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think a deaf person can have an average life without learning how to lip read or to speak? Why or why not?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)