|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James asks Sarah whether she's afraid that having fun in the hearing world means she will have her angry deaf person's _________ revoked.
2. What does Sarah want to show Orin when she goes into the kitchen with him?
3. Sarah says that what's going on between Orin and herself is not about James' _________.
4. What does Klein finally say that she should be doing as the others are talking?
5. What is the good news that Lydia has to share with everyone when they go to James and Sarah's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD is one that immediately affects the person who hears it or reads it.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose the title that they did?
Part 2: Do you think the play should have been titled differently? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the author meant by 'lesser god'?
Essay Topic 2
The hearing community seems to be one that is looked upon with disdain in this play, though the deaf community is not without flaws.
Part 1: Why do you think Mrs. Norman is such a negative character and so cynical about her daughter's deafness?
Part 2: Do you think a hearing person can ever understand the life of a deaf person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the hearing characters in this play mean well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James is insistent that Sarah learn how to speak so that she can interact with the world in a more effective way.
Part 1: Why do you think James wants Sarah to speak more? What are his motivations?
Part 2: Do you think that James would still be happy with Sarah if she never learned to speak?
Part 3: Do you think that Sarah wants to learn how to speak? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,670 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)