|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah points out that James is not funny in __________, only in hearing.
2. Sarah thinks James wants her to be a deaf person so he can change her into a ___________ person.
3. Who has to translate the phone call so that Sarah can talk on the phone as well?
4. Sarah notes that Orin practically accused her of being a __________ hearing person.
5. Orin tells Sarah that he wants her ____________ as the complaint begins.
Essay Topic 1
Orin is committed to working for the rights of the deaf community, becoming an activist at the school.
Part 1: Why do you think that Orin believes he needs to take an active role in gaining rights for the deaf community?
Part 2: Do you think it's a healthy choice for him to become an activist for deaf rights? Why or why not?
Part 3: What makes Orin the best possible character to become an activist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The idea that James and Sarah fall in love and get married is one for which the audience roots and encourages.
Part 1: Why do you think James and Sarah fall in love with each other?
Part 2: Do you think their relationship has the ability to last a long time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think James and Sarah are trying to change each other?
Essay Topic 3
Sarah has decided not to go to the deaf school at first and not to be a part of the hearing world either, before she meets James and attends the school.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah was uncooperative with going to a school for the deaf?
Part 2: If you became deaf, what would you do in order to cope with your new limitation? Why?
Part 3: In what ways has Sarah's stubbornness helped her in her life? Or hasn't it?
This section contains 1,643 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)