|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James point out about the way that Klein was speaking once Sarah shows she was jealous of their interaction?
2. Who has decided to try to teach Sarah how to play the card game being played?
3. Orin also points out that they will need a _____________ for several weeks during the legal battle.
4. James realizes he can't enjoy the __________ because Sarah can't.
5. Who is on the other side of the stage, taunting Sarah as the scene unfolds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What's interesting to many about this play is that while it might seem more reasonable to portray the deaf community as being flawless, these characters are not shown in the best of light.
Part 1: Why do you think some authors believe it easier to portray those with handicaps as being without fault?
Part 2: Do you think the deaf characters are portrayed realistically in this play? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the deaf community might respond to the deaf characters in this play? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It is revealed that Sarah stopped talking because no one realized she was deaf, only that she might be mentally handicapped.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah decided it was better to be seen as deaf?
Part 2: Do you think Sarah should have continued to talk anyway?
Part 3: How would you react if someone thought you were mentally handicapped?
Essay Topic 3
Though the deaf and the hearing worlds are divided in this play, they also have moments where they overlap.
Part 1: Do you think it's realistic that Sarah and James would go on a date together?
Part 2: Do you think that a deaf person and a hearing person could live together? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think there is still a struggle for separateness in this play?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)