|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lawyer believes Orin might have a legitimate complaint with the Equal Employment ______________ Commission.
2. Sarah says the lawyer wants her to hate ___________ so people feel sorry about her condition.
3. What does Lydia ask for as she is watching TV in the other room?
4. Orin taunts Sarah, saying that she has a full time interpreter, just like a United Nations _____________.
5. Sarah tells James she is feeling caught between the ________ and the deaf world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah has decided not to go to the deaf school at first and not to be a part of the hearing world either, before she meets James and attends the school.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah was uncooperative with going to a school for the deaf?
Part 2: If you became deaf, what would you do in order to cope with your new limitation? Why?
Part 3: In what ways has Sarah's stubbornness helped her in her life? Or hasn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah is being pulled between two worlds - the hearing world and the deaf world. And at times, it seems she is unsure of which to pick.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sarah is torn between the two worlds?
Part 2: Is it fair for different 'sides' of Sarah's life to try to pull her in? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does Sarah have to make a choice as to which world in which to reside? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Surprisingly, Sarah makes fun of other deaf people and how they sound when they speak.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah makes fun of these deaf people when they are trying to speak?
Part 2: How did you react to the idea of Sarah making fun of other deaf people? Why?
Part 3: Do you think Sarah's criticisms have any merit? Why or why not?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)