|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James realize he hasn't turned on since he and Sarah have been married?
2. When Sarah sees people _____________, she can feel even more from the music.
3. Who is the phone call for, the one that rings when no one but James can hear it?
4. Sarah believes that she is too _________ to learn how to lip read or to speak well.
5. Who used to cry because he could hear enough of the organ music that it made their ears hurt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah felt that when she was younger she had to prove herself, so she had sex with boys in order to show she could do something better than hearing girls could.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah made the choice to use sex as a way to prove herself?
Part 2: What other things might Sarah have done in order to prove her worthiness to others?
Part 3: How does your opinion of Sarah change when you hear about her past? Or doesn't it?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of being deaf is one that few people can truly understand or appreciate, having always been able to hear.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to understand the idea of being deaf? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think it's important to talk about the deaf community?
Part 3: Do you feel your perceptions of the deaf community have changed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sarah has decided not to go to the deaf school at first and not to be a part of the hearing world either, before she meets James and attends the school.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah was uncooperative with going to a school for the deaf?
Part 2: If you became deaf, what would you do in order to cope with your new limitation? Why?
Part 3: In what ways has Sarah's stubbornness helped her in her life? Or hasn't it?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)