|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orin says that Sarah would be an asset because she is deaf, __________ deaf.
2. Who is on the other side of the stage, taunting Sarah as the scene unfolds?
3. What is the next topic of discussion between Sarah and James which begins to make her more upset?
4. What does Orin compliment Sarah on when they are reminiscing about their past together?
5. James is never __________, he says that this is his saving grace when talking with Klein.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Surprisingly, Sarah makes fun of other deaf people and how they sound when they speak.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah makes fun of these deaf people when they are trying to speak?
Part 2: How did you react to the idea of Sarah making fun of other deaf people? Why?
Part 3: Do you think Sarah's criticisms have any merit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting to many about this play is that while it might seem more reasonable to portray the deaf community as being flawless, these characters are not shown in the best of light.
Part 1: Why do you think some authors believe it easier to portray those with handicaps as being without fault?
Part 2: Do you think the deaf characters are portrayed realistically in this play? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the deaf community might respond to the deaf characters in this play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The idea that James and Sarah fall in love and get married is one for which the audience roots and encourages.
Part 1: Why do you think James and Sarah fall in love with each other?
Part 2: Do you think their relationship has the ability to last a long time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think James and Sarah are trying to change each other?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)