|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orin points out that the speech that Klein has written for Sarah is what all ______________ say.
2. What else is sounding in the house which is only heard by James as the others are deaf or hearing impaired?
3. James tries to explain the reason why Sarah can't possibly enjoy ____________ in a long discussion.
4. James is the only one to answer the _____________ as he is the only one who hears it.
5. Orin points out that the school is supposed to exist for the ___________ of its students.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The case against the deaf school is one that seems to be unnecessary to some audience members and vital to others.
Part 1: Why do you think Orin and the lawyer believe that the school is discriminating against its students?
Part 2: Do you think the lawyer has the best interests of Orin at heart?
Part 3: Why do you think that Mr. Franklin does not decide to settle the case out of court?
Essay Topic 2
Orin is a character who is strong in his desire to learn and to make changes in his world.
Part 1: Why do you think Orin is so passionate about learning to speak?
Part 2: Why do you think that Orin is committed to being an active part of fighting for deaf rights?
Part 3: Do you admire Orin as a person/character of this play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea that James and Sarah fall in love and get married is one for which the audience roots and encourages.
Part 1: Why do you think James and Sarah fall in love with each other?
Part 2: Do you think their relationship has the ability to last a long time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think James and Sarah are trying to change each other?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)