|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah reveals that Orin says their ____________ isn't as important as deaf rights.
2. Orin also points out that they will need a _____________ for several weeks during the legal battle.
3. Sarah says the lawyer wants her to hate ___________ so people feel sorry about her condition.
4. What does James say is the name of the caller, though it is really Orin and he corrects himself as he hands the call to Sarah?
5. What does Sarah end up asking Orin to do when they are on the phone together?
Essay Topic 1
James is insistent that Sarah learn how to speak so that she can interact with the world in a more effective way.
Part 1: Why do you think James wants Sarah to speak more? What are his motivations?
Part 2: Do you think that James would still be happy with Sarah if she never learned to speak?
Part 3: Do you think that Sarah wants to learn how to speak? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah has decided not to go to the deaf school at first and not to be a part of the hearing world either, before she meets James and attends the school.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah was uncooperative with going to a school for the deaf?
Part 2: If you became deaf, what would you do in order to cope with your new limitation? Why?
Part 3: In what ways has Sarah's stubbornness helped her in her life? Or hasn't it?
Essay Topic 3
Sarah is being pulled between two worlds - the hearing world and the deaf world. And at times, it seems she is unsure of which to pick.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sarah is torn between the two worlds?
Part 2: Is it fair for different 'sides' of Sarah's life to try to pull her in? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does Sarah have to make a choice as to which world in which to reside? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,668 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)