|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah believes that she is too _________ to learn how to lip read or to speak well.
2. What does Sarah end up asking Orin to do when they are on the phone together?
3. James asks Sarah whether she's afraid that having fun in the hearing world means she will have her angry deaf person's _________ revoked.
4. Sarah reveals that Orin says their ____________ isn't as important as deaf rights.
5. What is the next topic of discussion between Sarah and James which begins to make her more upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the notes of this play, the author of the play has insisted that the actors for the deaf characters must actually be deaf.
Part 1: Why do you think the author is so adamant about deaf actors being cast?
Part 2: How do you think deaf actors help in the stage production of the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might change if non-deaf actors were used?
Essay Topic 2
Surprisingly, Sarah makes fun of other deaf people and how they sound when they speak.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah makes fun of these deaf people when they are trying to speak?
Part 2: How did you react to the idea of Sarah making fun of other deaf people? Why?
Part 3: Do you think Sarah's criticisms have any merit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The hearing community seems to be one that is looked upon with disdain in this play, though the deaf community is not without flaws.
Part 1: Why do you think Mrs. Norman is such a negative character and so cynical about her daughter's deafness?
Part 2: Do you think a hearing person can ever understand the life of a deaf person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the hearing characters in this play mean well? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,658 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)