|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is smoking as it comes out of the stove after the buzzer goes off for a long period of time?
2. Who does Orin want to file a claim against according to his lawsuit aspirations?
3. Who usually plays cards with James on a weekly basis, and now that Sarah has learned, she can join in?
4. What does Sarah want to show Orin when she goes into the kitchen with him?
5. Sarah admits to Orin that she was never good at the kind of _________ that Orin wanted.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of passing for some sort of societal norm is the main theme of this book.
Part 1: Is it a good idea to try to overcome a handicap and pass for average? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is it a good idea to simply embrace a handicap? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a deaf person should function within society? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting to many about this play is that while it might seem more reasonable to portray the deaf community as being flawless, these characters are not shown in the best of light.
Part 1: Why do you think some authors believe it easier to portray those with handicaps as being without fault?
Part 2: Do you think the deaf characters are portrayed realistically in this play? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the deaf community might respond to the deaf characters in this play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of moments in which the many languages are barriers to communication.
Part 1: Why do you think communication is so important in this world?
Part 2: Can the world survive without the ability to communicate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the play begins with Sarah and James not being able to communicate?
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)