|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orin want Sarah to read at least before meeting with the lawyer?
2. What does Klein finally say that she should be doing as the others are talking?
3. The lawyer admits to Orin that she never has heard of discrimination against the __________.
4. James stops the argument between Orin and Sarah, saying he has been cast in the role of Sarah's __________.
5. Sarah moves out of the conversation as ___________ begins to speak for her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of moments in which the many languages are barriers to communication.
Part 1: Why do you think communication is so important in this world?
Part 2: Can the world survive without the ability to communicate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the play begins with Sarah and James not being able to communicate?
Essay Topic 2
James is insistent that Sarah learn how to speak so that she can interact with the world in a more effective way.
Part 1: Why do you think James wants Sarah to speak more? What are his motivations?
Part 2: Do you think that James would still be happy with Sarah if she never learned to speak?
Part 3: Do you think that Sarah wants to learn how to speak? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sarah is being pulled between two worlds - the hearing world and the deaf world. And at times, it seems she is unsure of which to pick.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sarah is torn between the two worlds?
Part 2: Is it fair for different 'sides' of Sarah's life to try to pull her in? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does Sarah have to make a choice as to which world in which to reside? Why or why not?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)