|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James makes the joke, "Hey, either I've just become _________ or it's suddenly quiet in here."
2. What does Franklin say he thinks just blew up in his ear?
3. Sarah says the lawyer wants her to hate ___________ so people feel sorry about her condition.
4. Sarah realizes that __________ doesn't want her to be a hearing person as this person needs a pure deaf person.
5. Sarah says that what's going on between Orin and herself is not about James' _________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea that James and Sarah fall in love and get married is one for which the audience roots and encourages.
Part 1: Why do you think James and Sarah fall in love with each other?
Part 2: Do you think their relationship has the ability to last a long time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think James and Sarah are trying to change each other?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting to many about this play is that while it might seem more reasonable to portray the deaf community as being flawless, these characters are not shown in the best of light.
Part 1: Why do you think some authors believe it easier to portray those with handicaps as being without fault?
Part 2: Do you think the deaf characters are portrayed realistically in this play? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the deaf community might respond to the deaf characters in this play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The case against the deaf school is one that seems to be unnecessary to some audience members and vital to others.
Part 1: Why do you think Orin and the lawyer believe that the school is discriminating against its students?
Part 2: Do you think the lawyer has the best interests of Orin at heart?
Part 3: Why do you think that Mr. Franklin does not decide to settle the case out of court?
This section contains 1,647 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)