|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orin says that Sarah would be an asset because she is deaf, __________ deaf.
2. Who is NOT at the party which is being thrown at the start of the second act of the play?
3. Sarah believes that she is too _________ to learn how to lip read or to speak well.
4. What does Orin compliment Sarah on when they are reminiscing about their past together?
5. James realizes he can't enjoy the __________ because Sarah can't.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1It is revealed that Sarah stopped talking because no one realized she was deaf, only that she might be mentally handicapped. Part 1: Why do you think Sarah decided it was better to be seen as deaf? Part 2: Do you think Sarah should have continued to talk anyway? Part 3: How would you react if someone thought you were mentally handicapped?
Essay Topic 2Sarah is being pulled between two worlds - the hearing world and the deaf world. And at times, it seems she is unsure of which to pick. Part 1: Why do you think that Sarah is torn between the two worlds? Part 2: Is it fair for different 'sides' of Sarah's life to try to pull her in? Why or why not? Part 3: Does Sarah have to make a choice as to which world in which to reside? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3Sarah seems to want to remain in her silence for long periods of time, as it seems to be the safer place for her to reside. Part 1: Why is Sarah always trying to remain in her silence when she could be interacting with others? Part 2: Why doesn't Sarah want James to be a part of her silence? Part 3: Why does James want to be a part of Sarah's silence?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)