|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah notes that while James can not explain music to her, she still ____________ it.
2. What is Sarah's response to the idea of Orin filing a claim and starting a legal process?
3. James points out that he already knows the drill, being Mrs. Leeds' ________________.
4. Who has to translate the phone call so that Sarah can talk on the phone as well?
5. What else is sounding in the house which is only heard by James as the others are deaf or hearing impaired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD is one that immediately affects the person who hears it or reads it.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose the title that they did?
Part 2: Do you think the play should have been titled differently? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the author meant by 'lesser god'?
Essay Topic 2
James is insistent that Sarah learn how to speak so that she can interact with the world in a more effective way.
Part 1: Why do you think James wants Sarah to speak more? What are his motivations?
Part 2: Do you think that James would still be happy with Sarah if she never learned to speak?
Part 3: Do you think that Sarah wants to learn how to speak? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Orin is committed to working for the rights of the deaf community, becoming an activist at the school.
Part 1: Why do you think that Orin believes he needs to take an active role in gaining rights for the deaf community?
Part 2: Do you think it's a healthy choice for him to become an activist for deaf rights? Why or why not?
Part 3: What makes Orin the best possible character to become an activist? Why?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)