|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Orin called James on the phone that James points out to the audience without signing it for Sarah?
2. Sarah reveals that the entire conversation between her, Klein, Orin, and James made her feel she was being treated like __________.
3. Sarah notes to James that, "I like this best - what we can do __________ together."
4. James questions the fact that Sarah doesn't want to talk anymore. "Do you think _________ is the best thing for confusion and anger?"
5. Orin pokes fun at Sarah, saying that she is a regular American _________ now that she's married James.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the notes of this play, the author of the play has insisted that the actors for the deaf characters must actually be deaf.
Part 1: Why do you think the author is so adamant about deaf actors being cast?
Part 2: How do you think deaf actors help in the stage production of the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might change if non-deaf actors were used?
Essay Topic 2
The hearing community seems to be one that is looked upon with disdain in this play, though the deaf community is not without flaws.
Part 1: Why do you think Mrs. Norman is such a negative character and so cynical about her daughter's deafness?
Part 2: Do you think a hearing person can ever understand the life of a deaf person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the hearing characters in this play mean well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sarah seems to want to remain in her silence for long periods of time, as it seems to be the safer place for her to reside.
Part 1: Why is Sarah always trying to remain in her silence when she could be interacting with others?
Part 2: Why doesn't Sarah want James to be a part of her silence?
Part 3: Why does James want to be a part of Sarah's silence?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)