|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are James and Sarah when the scene changes away from the card party?
2. Sarah points out to the lawyer that she is not ___________ being deaf.
3. James says that if Sarah feels she's not strong enough to juggle both worlds, then _________.
4. James is the only one to answer the _____________ as he is the only one who hears it.
5. What does Klein try to do in order to impress Orin and Sarah during their next meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the notes of this play, the author of the play has insisted that the actors for the deaf characters must actually be deaf.
Part 1: Why do you think the author is so adamant about deaf actors being cast?
Part 2: How do you think deaf actors help in the stage production of the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might change if non-deaf actors were used?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of being deaf is one that few people can truly understand or appreciate, having always been able to hear.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to understand the idea of being deaf? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think it's important to talk about the deaf community?
Part 3: Do you feel your perceptions of the deaf community have changed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It is revealed that Sarah stopped talking because no one realized she was deaf, only that she might be mentally handicapped.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah decided it was better to be seen as deaf?
Part 2: Do you think Sarah should have continued to talk anyway?
Part 3: How would you react if someone thought you were mentally handicapped?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)