|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lawyer admits to Orin that she never has heard of discrimination against the __________.
2. Sarah realizes that __________ doesn't want her to be a hearing person as this person needs a pure deaf person.
3. The lawyer believes Orin might have a legitimate complaint with the Equal Employment ______________ Commission.
4. What does Klein try to do in order to impress Orin and Sarah during their next meeting?
5. Sarah notes that while James can not explain music to her, she still ____________ it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of moments in which the many languages are barriers to communication.
Part 1: Why do you think communication is so important in this world?
Part 2: Can the world survive without the ability to communicate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the play begins with Sarah and James not being able to communicate?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah is being pulled between two worlds - the hearing world and the deaf world. And at times, it seems she is unsure of which to pick.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sarah is torn between the two worlds?
Part 2: Is it fair for different 'sides' of Sarah's life to try to pull her in? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does Sarah have to make a choice as to which world in which to reside? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of passing for some sort of societal norm is the main theme of this book.
Part 1: Is it a good idea to try to overcome a handicap and pass for average? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is it a good idea to simply embrace a handicap? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a deaf person should function within society? Why?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)