|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orin says that Sarah would be an asset because she is deaf, __________ deaf.
2. What does Franklin say he thinks just blew up in his ear?
3. What is different about the way the person is watching the television at James and Sarah's house?
4. Who is over at James and Sarah's house, watching television as the scene changes again?
5. __________ is amazed by Sarah's abilities and is obviously proud of her work.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is revealed that Sarah stopped talking because no one realized she was deaf, only that she might be mentally handicapped.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah decided it was better to be seen as deaf?
Part 2: Do you think Sarah should have continued to talk anyway?
Part 3: How would you react if someone thought you were mentally handicapped?
Essay Topic 2
Surprisingly, Sarah makes fun of other deaf people and how they sound when they speak.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah makes fun of these deaf people when they are trying to speak?
Part 2: How did you react to the idea of Sarah making fun of other deaf people? Why?
Part 3: Do you think Sarah's criticisms have any merit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Though the deaf and the hearing worlds are divided in this play, they also have moments where they overlap.
Part 1: Do you think it's realistic that Sarah and James would go on a date together?
Part 2: Do you think that a deaf person and a hearing person could live together? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think there is still a struggle for separateness in this play?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)