|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah notes that Orin practically accused her of being a __________ hearing person.
2. Sarah says that she can enjoy music because of the ____________ she can experience.
3. What else is sounding in the house which is only heard by James as the others are deaf or hearing impaired?
4. What does Franklin say he thinks just blew up in his ear?
5. James lets Orin know that Sarah ____________ as she repeats to him several times.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orin is a character who is strong in his desire to learn and to make changes in his world.
Part 1: Why do you think Orin is so passionate about learning to speak?
Part 2: Why do you think that Orin is committed to being an active part of fighting for deaf rights?
Part 3: Do you admire Orin as a person/character of this play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of moments in which the many languages are barriers to communication.
Part 1: Why do you think communication is so important in this world?
Part 2: Can the world survive without the ability to communicate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the play begins with Sarah and James not being able to communicate?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of passing for some sort of societal norm is the main theme of this book.
Part 1: Is it a good idea to try to overcome a handicap and pass for average? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is it a good idea to simply embrace a handicap? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a deaf person should function within society? Why?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)