|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James accuses Orin of ______________, though Orin denies it when they are speaking.
2. The lead actress, Sarah Norman, is ___________, according to the character description.
3. Sarah's mother does challenge _____________ to help Sarah find an alternative job, however.
4. James tells Sarah's mother he is just trying to help her to ___________ in the world of the hearing.
5. What does James do after trying to calm Sarah down when she flies into a rage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James realize about Sarah as they are at a restaurant and she points to a dessert item on the menu?
2. What does Mr. Franklin want James to do with Sarah Norman once they are introduced?
3. What is Orin frustrated about when he is trying to speak with James during a therapy session?
4. What does Orin tell Sarah about her marriage in relation to the deaf rights that he is fighting to gain?
5. Describe the relationship Sarah shares with her mother as described in the following scene?
6. What does Mrs. Norman accuse James of doing to Sarah during their time together?
7. What is the profession of James Leeds in this play, CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD?
8. What does James accuse Sarah of when she refuses to let James translate her speech for her?
9. What is the basis of the case the Orin and his lawyer are trying to make against the deaf school?
10. What does the lawyer assume about Sarah during their meeting together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James is insistent that Sarah learn how to speak so that she can interact with the world in a more effective way.
Part 1: Why do you think James wants Sarah to speak more? What are his motivations?
Part 2: Do you think that James would still be happy with Sarah if she never learned to speak?
Part 3: Do you think that Sarah wants to learn how to speak? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea that James and Sarah fall in love and get married is one for which the audience roots and encourages.
Part 1: Why do you think James and Sarah fall in love with each other?
Part 2: Do you think their relationship has the ability to last a long time? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think James and Sarah are trying to change each other?
Essay Topic 3
The role of James at the school is to teach lip reading and to teach speech to the deaf.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for deaf people to learn how to lip read and to speak?
Part 2: Do you think the hearing community is being too forceful in its attempts to try to help deaf people interact as though they were not deaf? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think a deaf person can have an average life without learning how to lip read or to speak? Why or why not?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)