|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sarah during the last lesson of the day that James has to take care of before leaving?
2. Is Orin successful in his attempts to make the sound that is difficult for him?
3. Sarah's mother does challenge _____________ to help Sarah find an alternative job, however.
4. What causes Sarah to fly into a rage when James mentions it to her?
5. Does Sarah enjoy her job, according to the way she responds to James when he asks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Orin upset with the idea that James went out on a date with Sarah?
2. What does James immediately assume about Sarah after Mr. Franklin leaves?
3. Why are Orin and the lawyer happy about the results of the court hearing and the case?
4. What does Orin tell Sarah about her marriage in relation to the deaf rights that he is fighting to gain?
5. Who does Sarah mock when she is talking about people at the school?
6. Why can't James enjoy the pleasure of music anymore, according to him?
7. When James and Sarah finally talk, what do they agree happened between them?
8. What does Mrs. Norman accuse James of doing to Sarah during their time together?
9. Why is Sarah upset, according to her conversation with James as they walk together?
10. What does Sarah do for a job, though her mother was unaware that she was doing this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah felt that when she was younger she had to prove herself, so she had sex with boys in order to show she could do something better than hearing girls could.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah made the choice to use sex as a way to prove herself?
Part 2: What other things might Sarah have done in order to prove her worthiness to others?
Part 3: How does your opinion of Sarah change when you hear about her past? Or doesn't it?
Essay Topic 2
James is insistent that Sarah learn how to speak so that she can interact with the world in a more effective way.
Part 1: Why do you think James wants Sarah to speak more? What are his motivations?
Part 2: Do you think that James would still be happy with Sarah if she never learned to speak?
Part 3: Do you think that Sarah wants to learn how to speak? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Within the notes of this play, the author of the play has insisted that the actors for the deaf characters must actually be deaf.
Part 1: Why do you think the author is so adamant about deaf actors being cast?
Part 2: How do you think deaf actors help in the stage production of the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might change if non-deaf actors were used?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)