|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sarah during the last lesson of the day that James has to take care of before leaving?
2. James accuses Orin of ______________, though Orin denies it when they are speaking.
3. Who does James go to see in order to learn more about Sarah after all that has happened?
4. What did James' mother say to him when he said that he didn't want to listen to her anymore - "James can't save me; he never could. ________."
5. Sarah admits that while she's had sex with many men, no one has penetrated her inner ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James try to do in order to offset his nervousness about being with Sarah?
2. What is Sarah's mother's reaction to learning that Sarah had a job with the school?
3. What doesn't Sarah understand when she and James are signing and speaking to each other?
4. What is the other sound that occurs which is only heard by James as the chaotic scene continues to unfold?
5. Why can't James enjoy the pleasure of music anymore, according to him?
6. Why are Orin and the lawyer happy about the results of the court hearing and the case?
7. What does Sarah reject at the next meeting she has set up with the lawyer?
8. What happens when Mr. Franklin finds out about the romantic involvement of James and Sarah?
9. Why is Sarah upset, according to her conversation with James as they walk together?
10. How is the stage divided at this point of the play? How are Orin and Sarah and James arranged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is revealed that Sarah stopped talking because no one realized she was deaf, only that she might be mentally handicapped.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah decided it was better to be seen as deaf?
Part 2: Do you think Sarah should have continued to talk anyway?
Part 3: How would you react if someone thought you were mentally handicapped?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah is being pulled between two worlds - the hearing world and the deaf world. And at times, it seems she is unsure of which to pick.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sarah is torn between the two worlds?
Part 2: Is it fair for different 'sides' of Sarah's life to try to pull her in? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does Sarah have to make a choice as to which world in which to reside? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Orin is committed to working for the rights of the deaf community, becoming an activist at the school.
Part 1: Why do you think that Orin believes he needs to take an active role in gaining rights for the deaf community?
Part 2: Do you think it's a healthy choice for him to become an activist for deaf rights? Why or why not?
Part 3: What makes Orin the best possible character to become an activist? Why?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)