|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah asks James to _____________ and he does without question or condemnation.
2. Who did Sarah have a relationship with before starting her relationship with James?
3. Who leaves the stage as James goes to meet up with Sarah after he is done teaching?
4. Sarah notes that she and James were both born to ___________ who would have been better off without them.
5. __________ has found out about James' date with Sarah and is not happy with this development.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James believe that he did which he admits to the audience with some difficulty?
2. Why doesn't Sarah like listening to music, as she confesses to James during the scene?
3. Why is Orin upset with the idea that James went out on a date with Sarah?
4. Describe the relationship Sarah shares with her mother as described in the following scene?
5. What doesn't Sarah understand when she and James are signing and speaking to each other?
6. What does Mr. Franklin want James to do with Sarah Norman once they are introduced?
7. What does Sarah do when she realizes she needs help with the menu at the restaurant?
8. How does Sarah participate in the court hearing when it finally takes place within the play?
9. What does Sarah say when James asks her if she enjoys being a maid at the school?
10. What is the profession of James Leeds in this play, CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah is being pulled between two worlds - the hearing world and the deaf world. And at times, it seems she is unsure of which to pick.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sarah is torn between the two worlds?
Part 2: Is it fair for different 'sides' of Sarah's life to try to pull her in? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does Sarah have to make a choice as to which world in which to reside? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The hearing community seems to be one that is looked upon with disdain in this play, though the deaf community is not without flaws.
Part 1: Why do you think Mrs. Norman is such a negative character and so cynical about her daughter's deafness?
Part 2: Do you think a hearing person can ever understand the life of a deaf person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the hearing characters in this play mean well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The role of James at the school is to teach lip reading and to teach speech to the deaf.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for deaf people to learn how to lip read and to speak?
Part 2: Do you think the hearing community is being too forceful in its attempts to try to help deaf people interact as though they were not deaf? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think a deaf person can have an average life without learning how to lip read or to speak? Why or why not?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)