|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James do when he hears Sarah making fun of the people she is making fun of?
2. James is curious whether Sarah left of her own accord, or if ___________.
3. Sarah says she enjoys a job that allows her to be alone with her __________, to answer James' question.
4. Orin accuses speech therapists of working with deaf people simply to ___________ themselves.
5. Mrs. Norman reveals that Sarah used to ___________, but stopped after a while.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Orin upset with the idea that James went out on a date with Sarah?
2. What does James realize about Sarah as they are at a restaurant and she points to a dessert item on the menu?
3. What does James believe that he did which he admits to the audience with some difficulty?
4. What does James immediately assume about Sarah after Mr. Franklin leaves?
5. What does James' student do as he enters into the scene after Sarah and James' argument?
6. What is the profession of James Leeds in this play, CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD?
7. What is the other sound that occurs which is only heard by James as the chaotic scene continues to unfold?
8. Who is at the bridge party at the beginning of the first scene of Act 2?
9. What does James tell Mr. Franklin to do in regards to the case being brought against the school?
10. What doesn't Sarah understand when she and James are signing and speaking to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The hearing community seems to be one that is looked upon with disdain in this play, though the deaf community is not without flaws.
Part 1: Why do you think Mrs. Norman is such a negative character and so cynical about her daughter's deafness?
Part 2: Do you think a hearing person can ever understand the life of a deaf person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the hearing characters in this play mean well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It is revealed that Sarah stopped talking because no one realized she was deaf, only that she might be mentally handicapped.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah decided it was better to be seen as deaf?
Part 2: Do you think Sarah should have continued to talk anyway?
Part 3: How would you react if someone thought you were mentally handicapped?
Essay Topic 3
Orin is a character who is strong in his desire to learn and to make changes in his world.
Part 1: Why do you think Orin is so passionate about learning to speak?
Part 2: Why do you think that Orin is committed to being an active part of fighting for deaf rights?
Part 3: Do you admire Orin as a person/character of this play? Why or why not?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)