|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah admits that while she's had sex with many men, no one has penetrated her inner ___________.
2. Where does Sarah say that she can hear the vibrations of music, which is why she wants to dance?
3. Who does Sarah make fun of during the course of her and James' time together?
4. Who is the last student of the day when James is getting ready to head out with Sarah?
5. Sarah also accuses James of trying to ___________ everyone at the school, including her.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James realize about Sarah as they are at a restaurant and she points to a dessert item on the menu?
2. Describe the relationship Sarah shares with her mother as described in the following scene?
3. What makes Sarah even more upset as she is talking with James during their walk together? What does James suggest to make her upset?
4. What does Mrs. Norman accuse James of doing to Sarah during their time together?
5. How is the stage divided at this point of the play? How are Orin and Sarah and James arranged?
6. Why is James angry and hurt by the actions of Sarah and her speech?
7. What doesn't Sarah understand when she and James are signing and speaking to each other?
8. What is the reason for the argument between James and Sarah that follows the lawyer meeting?
9. What is Sarah's mother's reaction to learning that Sarah had a job with the school?
10. When James and Sarah finally talk, what do they agree happened between them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The hearing community seems to be one that is looked upon with disdain in this play, though the deaf community is not without flaws.
Part 1: Why do you think Mrs. Norman is such a negative character and so cynical about her daughter's deafness?
Part 2: Do you think a hearing person can ever understand the life of a deaf person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the hearing characters in this play mean well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah felt that when she was younger she had to prove herself, so she had sex with boys in order to show she could do something better than hearing girls could.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah made the choice to use sex as a way to prove herself?
Part 2: What other things might Sarah have done in order to prove her worthiness to others?
Part 3: How does your opinion of Sarah change when you hear about her past? Or doesn't it?
Essay Topic 3
Orin is committed to working for the rights of the deaf community, becoming an activist at the school.
Part 1: Why do you think that Orin believes he needs to take an active role in gaining rights for the deaf community?
Part 2: Do you think it's a healthy choice for him to become an activist for deaf rights? Why or why not?
Part 3: What makes Orin the best possible character to become an activist? Why?
This section contains 2,020 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)