|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James tells Sarah's mother he is just trying to help her to ___________ in the world of the hearing.
2. Sarah tells James that if he doesn't _________ a little faster, their session will be over.
3. Does Sarah enjoy her job, according to the way she responds to James when he asks?
4. What is the sound that Orin is trying to make, though he is becoming frustrated?
5. What does Sarah ask James to do when they are out on the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sarah participate in the court hearing when it finally takes place within the play?
2. Why does James want to protect becoming the speech therapy teacher for Sarah?
3. Why is James the only one who knows to answer the telephone when it begins to ring?
4. What does James immediately assume about Sarah after Mr. Franklin leaves?
5. What does James' student do as he enters into the scene after Sarah and James' argument?
6. What does Sarah say when James asks her if she enjoys being a maid at the school?
7. What does the lawyer assume about Sarah during their meeting together?
8. What is Sarah's mother's reaction to learning that Sarah had a job with the school?
9. What happens between Sarah and James once she finds out James visited her mother?
10. What is the other sound that occurs which is only heard by James as the chaotic scene continues to unfold?
Essay Topic 1
The title CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD is one that immediately affects the person who hears it or reads it.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose the title that they did?
Part 2: Do you think the play should have been titled differently? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the author meant by 'lesser god'?
Essay Topic 2
The case against the deaf school is one that seems to be unnecessary to some audience members and vital to others.
Part 1: Why do you think Orin and the lawyer believe that the school is discriminating against its students?
Part 2: Do you think the lawyer has the best interests of Orin at heart?
Part 3: Why do you think that Mr. Franklin does not decide to settle the case out of court?
Essay Topic 3
Surprisingly, Sarah makes fun of other deaf people and how they sound when they speak.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah makes fun of these deaf people when they are trying to speak?
Part 2: How did you react to the idea of Sarah making fun of other deaf people? Why?
Part 3: Do you think Sarah's criticisms have any merit? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,007 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)