|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Franklin reprimands James for his ______________ with Sarah.
2. What does James try to do in order to break the tension between him and the new student?
3. It's found out that Sarah hasn't been home to see her mother since she was _______ years old.
4. When Sarah returns to the stage, who is she signing to after James has gone to see her mother, unknown to her?
5. Who is the young student that James tries to encourage at the start of this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Orin and Sarah begin to reminisce about their childhood?
2. What is the profession of James Leeds in this play, CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD?
3. What does James realize about Sarah as they are at a restaurant and she points to a dessert item on the menu?
4. What does James tell Mr. Franklin to do in regards to the case being brought against the school?
5. When James and Sarah finally talk, what do they agree happened between them?
6. Why is Lydia watching the television with the sound turned completely up at James' house?
7. What does Mrs. Norman accuse James of doing to Sarah during their time together?
8. Why has James decided to teach Sarah the game of bridge?
9. How is the stage divided at this point of the play? How are Orin and Sarah and James arranged?
10. What does Sarah do when she realizes she needs help with the menu at the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah has decided not to go to the deaf school at first and not to be a part of the hearing world either, before she meets James and attends the school.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah was uncooperative with going to a school for the deaf?
Part 2: If you became deaf, what would you do in order to cope with your new limitation? Why?
Part 3: In what ways has Sarah's stubbornness helped her in her life? Or hasn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah is being pulled between two worlds - the hearing world and the deaf world. And at times, it seems she is unsure of which to pick.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sarah is torn between the two worlds?
Part 2: Is it fair for different 'sides' of Sarah's life to try to pull her in? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does Sarah have to make a choice as to which world in which to reside? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of being deaf is one that few people can truly understand or appreciate, having always been able to hear.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to understand the idea of being deaf? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think it's important to talk about the deaf community?
Part 3: Do you feel your perceptions of the deaf community have changed? Why or why not?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)