|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James do when he hears Sarah making fun of the people she is making fun of?
2. What does Sarah say is terrible about the way that James tries to interact with her?
3. Mrs. Norman admits that her attempts to get Sarah's ___________ friends to pay more attention to her may have backfired.
4. Who enters the room as a new student that is being introduced to the class and to James?
5. Mrs. Norman accuses James of trying to force Sarah to __________ and lip read so she can pass for hearing.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Sarah mock when she is talking about people at the school?
2. What does James have to say to Mrs. Norman about Sarah's intelligence and her future?
3. What is the reason for the argument between James and Sarah that follows the lawyer meeting?
4. What does Mrs. Norman accuse James of doing to Sarah during their time together?
5. Why is Sarah upset, according to her conversation with James as they walk together?
6. What does Sarah say when James asks her if she enjoys being a maid at the school?
7. What is the basis of the case the Orin and his lawyer are trying to make against the deaf school?
8. Why is Orin upset with the idea that James went out on a date with Sarah?
9. What does James have to say about Mrs. Norman's accusations of him and his teaching goals?
10. What does Orin do when he becomes frustrated with himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Surprisingly, Sarah makes fun of other deaf people and how they sound when they speak.
Part 1: Why do you think Sarah makes fun of these deaf people when they are trying to speak?
Part 2: How did you react to the idea of Sarah making fun of other deaf people? Why?
Part 3: Do you think Sarah's criticisms have any merit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James is insistent that Sarah learn how to speak so that she can interact with the world in a more effective way.
Part 1: Why do you think James wants Sarah to speak more? What are his motivations?
Part 2: Do you think that James would still be happy with Sarah if she never learned to speak?
Part 3: Do you think that Sarah wants to learn how to speak? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The hearing community seems to be one that is looked upon with disdain in this play, though the deaf community is not without flaws.
Part 1: Why do you think Mrs. Norman is such a negative character and so cynical about her daughter's deafness?
Part 2: Do you think a hearing person can ever understand the life of a deaf person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the hearing characters in this play mean well? Why or why not?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)