|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sarah during the last lesson of the day that James has to take care of before leaving?
2. What does James assume the new student can do, though they cannot, causing communication difficulties?
(c) Lip read.
3. James finds it difficult to understand Sarah's ___________________ when they are talking.
(a) Rapid hand movements.
(c) Feelings about her mother.
(d) Sense of humor.
4. Sarah says she enjoys a job that allows her to be alone with her __________, to answer James' question.
(a) Inner chatter.
5. The lead actress, Sarah Norman, is ___________, according to the character description.
(b) A speech therapist.
(d) Partially deaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the scene, James and Sarah promise each other and then Sarah says, "You and me. __________."
2. Who enters the room as a new student that is being introduced to the class and to James?
3. What does Sarah do at the end of her first conversation with James as a result of his nervousness?
4. Sarah admits that while she's had sex with many men, no one has penetrated her inner ___________.
5. Who does Sarah make fun of during the course of her and James' time together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sarah's mother's reaction to learning that Sarah had a job with the school?
2. What is the reason for the argument between James and Sarah that follows the lawyer meeting?
3. Why does Sarah ask James to dance with her during their date? How does she know how to move?
4. What does Sarah say she wants Orin to do after she shows her speech to James?
5. What is Orin frustrated about when he is trying to speak with James during a therapy session?
6. What does James have to say about Mrs. Norman's accusations of him and his teaching goals?
7. Why is James amazed by Sarah's abilities to play bridge at during her first game with others?
8. What happens when James forces Sarah to speak with him during their argument?
9. Why is Lydia watching the television with the sound turned completely up at James' house?
10. What is the basis of the case the Orin and his lawyer are trying to make against the deaf school?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)