|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James accuses Orin of ______________, though Orin denies it when they are speaking.
(a) Being a good example for children.
(b) Being too strong.
(c) Being in love with Sarah.
(d) Being afraid of silence.
2. The next scene after the dancing involves James going to ___________ dormitory room.
(c) His own.
3. Orin tells James that he needs Sarah for the ______________, confronting James about their relationship again.
(a) Speech team.
(b) School's play.
(c) National protest.
(d) Deaf cause.
4. James: "In the beginning, there was __________ and out of that silence there could come only one thing: Speech."
5. What is Sarah's reaction to the action James takes after she is angry with him as mentioned in #35?
(a) She runs after him.
(b) She accepts the date.
(c) She says yes, she will marry him.
(d) She begins to cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. James begins to realize that Sarah may not be able to __________ or she might not understand what it means.
2. Sarah asks James to _____________ and he does without question or condemnation.
3. Mrs. Norman admits that her attempts to get Sarah's ___________ friends to pay more attention to her may have backfired.
4. What did James' mother say to him when he said that he didn't want to listen to her anymore - "James can't save me; he never could. ________."
5. Sarah and James make a pact: "Let no one, living or dead, absent or present, ever _____________."
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Sarah mock when she is talking about people at the school?
2. What does James believe that he did which he admits to the audience with some difficulty?
3. What is the profession of James Leeds in this play, CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD?
4. Why is James the only one who knows to answer the telephone when it begins to ring?
5. Why is Sarah upset, according to her conversation with James as they walk together?
6. What does James accuse Sarah of when she refuses to let James translate her speech for her?
7. What does Orin inform Sarah of as she is walking beside him during the scene?
8. What does Sarah do when she realizes she needs help with the menu at the restaurant?
9. Why is Lydia watching the television with the sound turned completely up at James' house?
10. What is the basis of the case the Orin and his lawyer are trying to make against the deaf school?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)