|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orin accuses speech therapists of working with deaf people simply to ___________ themselves.
(d) Feel better about.
2. What is the new student's reaction to the way that James is trying to communicate with her?
(a) Blank stare.
(c) Running away.
3. Who does James go to see in order to learn more about Sarah after all that has happened?
(a) Mrs. Norman.
(c) Mrs. Austin.
(d) Mr. Franklin.
4. What causes Sarah to fly into a rage when James mentions it to her?
(a) His desire for her to speak.
(b) His grading system.
(c) His visit with her mother.
(d) His eventual move away from her.
5. Orin says, "You can't _________ us. You think learning to sign means you can communicate with us."
(b) Be one of.
Short Answer Questions
1. James accuses Orin of ______________, though Orin denies it when they are speaking.
2. What is the sign that Sarah makes to James in the first argument they have?
3. Sarah signs to James that she has ___________ except for him.
4. Who was in attendance at the wedding of James and of Sarah?
5. Mrs. Norman admits that her attempts to get Sarah's ___________ friends to pay more attention to her may have backfired.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah say she wants Orin to do after she shows her speech to James?
2. What is Orin frustrated about when he is trying to speak with James during a therapy session?
3. Why can't James enjoy the pleasure of music anymore, according to him?
4. How is the stage divided at this point of the play? How are Orin and Sarah and James arranged?
5. What does James immediately assume about Sarah after Mr. Franklin leaves?
6. Why is Orin upset with the idea that James went out on a date with Sarah?
7. Why doesn't Sarah like listening to music, as she confesses to James during the scene?
8. What doesn't Sarah understand when she and James are signing and speaking to each other?
9. Why does James want to protect becoming the speech therapy teacher for Sarah?
10. What does James have to say to Mrs. Norman about Sarah's intelligence and her future?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)