|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James do when he hears Sarah making fun of the people she is making fun of?
(a) Continues the joke.
(b) Reprimands her.
(c) Ignores her.
(d) Laughs with her.
2. What does James assume the new student can do, though they cannot, causing communication difficulties?
(a) Lip read.
3. Who enters the room as a new student that is being introduced to the class and to James?
4. Sarah does think that she and James should ______________ so that he can continue to teach.
(a) Continue dating.
(b) Just be friends.
(c) Live together.
5. Sarah tells James that if he doesn't _________ a little faster, their session will be over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah's mother does challenge _____________ to help Sarah find an alternative job, however.
2. James: "In the beginning, there was __________ and out of that silence there could come only one thing: Speech."
3. What does James do to Sarah that causes her to run away from him as they are talking?
4. ___________ believes Sarah could go to college and get a better job if she wanted to.
5. What is the sign that Sarah makes to James in the first argument they have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is James angry and hurt by the actions of Sarah and her speech?
2. What happens when Orin and Sarah begin to reminisce about their childhood?
3. What does James believe that he did which he admits to the audience with some difficulty?
4. Who is at the bridge party at the beginning of the first scene of Act 2?
5. Why is James the only one who knows to answer the telephone when it begins to ring?
6. What is the basis of the case the Orin and his lawyer are trying to make against the deaf school?
7. What is the reason for the argument between James and Sarah that follows the lawyer meeting?
8. What is the sign that Sarah makes to James? What does this sign mean?
9. What doesn't Sarah understand when she and James are signing and speaking to each other?
10. Why is Sarah upset, according to her conversation with James as they walk together?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)