|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Klein finally say that she should be doing as the others are talking?
(a) Video taping.
(d) Taking notes.
2. At the end of the night, James says that he feels everyone is speaking in some far-northern dialect of __________.
3. What is the natural mistake the James points out as the lawyer interacts with Sarah, Orin, and James?
(a) She assumes Sarah can hear.
(b) She talks too loudly.
(c) She spells out her responses in ASL.
(d) She doesn't look at anyone's face.
4. Orin taunts Sarah for turning her back on the _____________.
(a) Deaf community.
(c) Men in her class.
5. Orin pokes fun at Sarah, saying that she is a regular American _________ now that she's married James.
(a) Stepford wife.
(d) Hearing person.
6. James stops the argument between Orin and Sarah, saying he has been cast in the role of Sarah's __________.
7. The lawyer believes Orin might have a legitimate complaint with the Equal Employment ______________ Commission.
8. Why is James hesitant to go for a walk with Sarah, though she encourages him to do so anyway?
(a) It's cold.
(b) It's in a dangerous neighborhood.
(c) It's too early.
(d) It's midnight.
9. What is the good news that Lydia has to share with everyone when they go to James and Sarah's house?
(a) Lydia is getting married.
(b) Lydia is pregnant.
(c) Lydia is graduating.
(d) Lydia now has Sarah's job as a maid.
10. James asks Sarah whether she's afraid that having fun in the hearing world means she will have her angry deaf person's _________ revoked.
11. How does Sarah do during her first game of cards with the rest of the group?
(a) She gets frustrated and leaves.
(b) She wins her first game.
(c) She holds her own.
(d) She loses.
12. Who does Orin want to file a claim against according to his lawsuit aspirations?
(b) Mr. Franklin.
(c) James, specifically.
(d) The school.
13. James is the only one to answer the _____________ as he is the only one who hears it.
(a) Neighbor's calls.
(c) Radio question.
14. What does Klein try to do in order to impress Orin and Sarah during their next meeting?
(a) She writes down her side of the conversation.
(b) She brings a translator.
(c) She doesn't talk loudly.
(d) She tries to sign some words.
15. What does Franklin say he thinks just blew up in his ear?
(a) His heart.
(b) His retirement.
(c) His decency.
(d) His hearing aid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has to translate the phone call so that Sarah can talk on the phone as well?
2. Sarah believes that she is too _________ to learn how to lip read or to speak well.
3. What is different about the way the person is watching the television at James and Sarah's house?
4. James says that if Sarah feels she's not strong enough to juggle both worlds, then _________.
5. James, in his rage about how loud the house is makes the joke that if only someone would fire a __________ through the window.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)