|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orin tells James that he needs Sarah for the ______________, confronting James about their relationship again.
(a) Speech team.
(b) School's play.
(c) National protest.
(d) Deaf cause.
2. Sarah and James make a pact: "Let no one, living or dead, absent or present, ever _____________."
(a) Come between us.
(b) Stop us.
(c) Hurt us again.
(d) Influence us.
3. James tells Sarah's mother he is just trying to help her to ___________ in the world of the hearing.
(a) Stand out.
4. Mrs. Norman admits that her attempts to get Sarah's ___________ friends to pay more attention to her may have backfired.
5. James: "In the beginning, there was __________ and out of that silence there could come only one thing: Speech."
6. Sarah says that ___________ is falling in love with James, which makes her confused.
7. Where is Sarah during the last lesson of the day that James has to take care of before leaving?
8. What does James try to do in order to break the tension between him and the new student?
(a) Read a poem.
(b) Do a magic trick.
(d) Make jokes.
9. Because Sarah spoke poorly, people thought she was ______________, so she stopped.
(a) An idiot.
(c) Mentally handicapped.
(d) A child.
10. Through dancing together, James and Sarah are able to connect on a ___________ level.
11. Sarah signs to James that she has ___________ except for him.
(b) Contentment in her life.
(c) Joys in her life.
12. What does Sarah point out on the menu that shows James just how helpless she is?
(a) Bread choices.
13. What meal do James and Sarah share when they head out with each other?
(d) They don't.
14. Sarah asks James to _____________ and he does without question or condemnation.
(a) Live with her.
(c) Help her.
(d) Marry her.
15. At the end of the scene, James and Sarah promise each other and then Sarah says, "You and me. __________."
Short Answer Questions
1. Orin says, "You can't _________ us. You think learning to sign means you can communicate with us."
2. What is James trying to do when he runs into Mr. Franklin after fighting with Sarah?
3. James turns around and asks Sarah if she likes being a ____________, in an effort to stop what she is doing.
4. Who was in attendance at the wedding of James and of Sarah?
5. What is the new student's reaction to the way that James is trying to communicate with her?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)