|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leaves the stage as James goes to meet up with Sarah after he is done teaching?
(a) Mr. Franklin.
2. Orin tells James that he needs Sarah for the ______________, confronting James about their relationship again.
(a) School's play.
(b) Deaf cause.
(c) National protest.
(d) Speech team.
3. Sarah wants to continue to _____________, so she does not want to leave.
(a) Be a maid.
(b) Learn to speak.
(c) Go to school.
4. The lead actress, Sarah Norman, is ___________, according to the character description.
(c) Partially deaf.
(d) A speech therapist.
5. __________ tells James that Sarah had a relationship prior to him at the school.
(a) Mrs. Norman.
(b) Mr. Franklin.
6. James finds it difficult to understand Sarah's ___________________ when they are talking.
(a) Feelings about her mother.
(b) Sense of humor.
(c) Rapid hand movements.
7. What does James do to Sarah that causes her to run away from him as they are talking?
(a) Kisses her.
(b) Slaps her.
(c) Swears at her.
(d) Shouts at her.
8. James tells Mrs. Norman that Sarah is ____________ and that she could do more with her life.
(d) Not lost.
9. Mrs. Norman accuses James of trying to force Sarah to __________ and lip read so she can pass for hearing.
(b) Speak up.
(c) Go to class.
10. What does Sarah ask James to do when they are out on the town?
(a) Buy her ice cream.
(c) Take her to a movie.
11. What does Sarah point out on the menu that shows James just how helpless she is?
(a) Bread choices.
12. It's found out that Sarah hasn't been home to see her mother since she was _______ years old.
13. James begins to realize that Sarah may not be able to __________ or she might not understand what it means.
14. James is curious whether Sarah left of her own accord, or if ___________.
(a) He drove her away.
(b) Mr. Franklin told her to break it off.
(c) She even loves him.
(d) She was forced to leave.
15. What does Sarah say is terrible about the way that James tries to interact with her?
(a) His word choices.
(b) His dark mood.
(c) His timing.
(d) His sense of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meal do James and Sarah share when they head out with each other?
2. Who does James go to see in order to learn more about Sarah after all that has happened?
3. __________ does a grotesque imitation of Orin and Lydia as they try to form words.
4. What did James' mother say to him when he said that he didn't want to listen to her anymore - "James can't save me; he never could. ________."
5. What happened to James' mother, as he confides in Sarah during their conversation?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)