|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters the room as a new student that is being introduced to the class and to James?
2. James finds it difficult to understand Sarah's ___________________ when they are talking.
(a) Feelings about her mother.
(b) Rapid hand movements.
(c) Sense of humor.
3. The next scene after the dancing involves James going to ___________ dormitory room.
(b) His own.
4. What's interesting about learning about Sarah's job is that Sarah's mother is not _____________ or surprised.
5. Mrs. Norman accuses James of trying to force Sarah to __________ and lip read so she can pass for hearing.
(a) Go to class.
(c) Speak up.
6. Mr. Franklin reprimands James for his ______________ with Sarah.
(a) Romantic involvement.
(b) Poor teaching.
(c) Pressuring speech.
(d) Longer sessions.
7. Because Sarah spoke poorly, people thought she was ______________, so she stopped.
(a) An idiot.
(b) Mentally handicapped.
(d) A child.
8. Who does James go to see in order to learn more about Sarah after all that has happened?
(a) Mrs. Austin.
(c) Mr. Franklin.
(d) Mrs. Norman.
9. What is the sign that Sarah makes to James in the first argument they have?
(a) You stink.
(b) I can't believe you're leaving.
(c) Join, Unjoin.
(d) I Love You.
10. At the end of the scene, James and Sarah promise each other and then Sarah says, "You and me. __________."
11. What does James decide he wants to ask Sarah to do, in spite of all he's learned?
(a) Speak with him.
(b) Break up with him.
(c) Have sex with him.
(d) Marry him.
12. What happened to James' mother, as he confides in Sarah during their conversation?
(a) She killed herself.
(b) She was deaf.
(c) She died of cancer.
(d) She left him alone.
13. Mrs. Norman admits that her attempts to get Sarah's ___________ friends to pay more attention to her may have backfired.
14. Orin tells James that he needs Sarah for the ______________, confronting James about their relationship again.
(a) Deaf cause.
(b) School's play.
(c) National protest.
(d) Speech team.
15. Sarah notes that she and James were both born to ___________ who would have been better off without them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah signs to James that she has ___________ except for him.
2. Sarah also accuses James of trying to ___________ everyone at the school, including her.
3. Mrs. Norman reveals that Sarah used to ___________, but stopped after a while.
4. Sarah had sex when she was younger to prove that there was something she could ___________ than the hearing girls could.
5. Who is the young student that James tries to encourage at the start of this scene?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)