|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Franklin reprimands James for his ______________ with Sarah.
(a) Poor teaching.
(b) Longer sessions.
(c) Pressuring speech.
(d) Romantic involvement.
2. How does Sarah keep her distance from James when they are dancing with each other?
(a) She doesn't.
(b) By pushing him away.
(c) By taking a lot of breaks.
(d) By signing and dancing at the same time.
3. What meal do James and Sarah share when they head out with each other?
(b) They don't.
4. Mrs. Norman accuses James of trying to force Sarah to __________ and lip read so she can pass for hearing.
(a) Speak up.
(d) Go to class.
5. What happened to James' mother, as he confides in Sarah during their conversation?
(a) She was deaf.
(b) She left him alone.
(c) She died of cancer.
(d) She killed herself.
6. What does James continue to do that irritates Sarah as they walk and talk?
(a) Make odd facial expressions.
(b) Laugh too loudly.
(c) Make bad jokes.
(d) Look away from her.
7. Who leaves the stage as James goes to meet up with Sarah after he is done teaching?
(c) Mr. Franklin.
8. The next scene after the dancing involves James going to ___________ dormitory room.
(d) His own.
9. Who is the last student of the day when James is getting ready to head out with Sarah?
10. ___________ believes Sarah could go to college and get a better job if she wanted to.
(a) Mrs. Norman.
(b) Mr. Franklin.
11. Who does James go to see in order to learn more about Sarah after all that has happened?
(a) Mrs. Austin.
(c) Mr. Franklin.
(d) Mrs. Norman.
12. James finds it difficult to understand Sarah's ___________________ when they are talking.
(b) Sense of humor.
(c) Rapid hand movements.
(d) Feelings about her mother.
13. Sarah and James make a pact: "Let no one, living or dead, absent or present, ever _____________."
(a) Influence us.
(b) Stop us.
(c) Come between us.
(d) Hurt us again.
14. Orin accuses speech therapists of working with deaf people simply to ___________ themselves.
(b) Feel better about.
15. Sarah tells James that if he doesn't _________ a little faster, their session will be over.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ has found out about James' date with Sarah and is not happy with this development.
2. What is the sign that Sarah makes to James in the first argument they have?
3. What is the sound that Orin is trying to make, though he is becoming frustrated?
4. Sarah says that ___________ is falling in love with James, which makes her confused.
5. Is Orin successful in his attempts to make the sound that is difficult for him?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)