|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James try to do in order to break the tension between him and the new student?
(b) Read a poem.
(c) Do a magic trick.
(d) Make jokes.
2. What does James do when he hears Sarah making fun of the people she is making fun of?
(a) Ignores her.
(b) Laughs with her.
(c) Continues the joke.
(d) Reprimands her.
3. What is the sign that Sarah makes to James in the first argument they have?
(a) Join, Unjoin.
(b) I Love You.
(c) You stink.
(d) I can't believe you're leaving.
4. Sarah tells James that she has been __________ James on purpose the last few days.
(a) Talking about.
(d) Thinking of.
5. Who is the young student that James tries to encourage at the start of this scene?
6. It's found out that Sarah hasn't been home to see her mother since she was _______ years old.
7. What does James do after trying to calm Sarah down when she flies into a rage?
(a) Proposes to her.
(b) Walks away from her.
(c) Asks her on a date.
(d) Tells her never to talk to him again.
8. Sarah is found to not be very close to her ___________, according to James' research.
9. Who does James go to see in order to learn more about Sarah after all that has happened?
(a) Mrs. Austin.
(c) Mrs. Norman.
(d) Mr. Franklin.
10. What does James decide he wants to ask Sarah to do, in spite of all he's learned?
(a) Speak with him.
(b) Break up with him.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Have sex with him.
11. What does James assume the new student can do, though they cannot, causing communication difficulties?
(a) Lip read.
12. When Sarah returns to the stage, who is she signing to after James has gone to see her mother, unknown to her?
(b) Mr. Franklin.
13. Who leaves the stage as James goes to meet up with Sarah after he is done teaching?
(b) Mr. Franklin.
14. What is the new student's reaction to the way that James is trying to communicate with her?
(a) Running away.
(d) Blank stare.
15. What does Sarah say is terrible about the way that James tries to interact with her?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His dark mood.
(c) His timing.
(d) His word choices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orin do after accusing James of having ulterior motives for being a therapist?
2. James: "In the beginning, there was __________ and out of that silence there could come only one thing: Speech."
3. Sarah signs to James that she has ___________ except for him.
4. What's interesting about learning about Sarah's job is that Sarah's mother is not _____________ or surprised.
5. Who enters the room as a new student that is being introduced to the class and to James?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)