|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sarah returns to the stage, who is she signing to after James has gone to see her mother, unknown to her?
(d) Mr. Franklin.
2. Sarah had sex when she was younger to prove that there was something she could ___________ than the hearing girls could.
(a) Learn faster.
(b) Enjoy more.
(c) Do better.
(d) Hate more.
3. James finds it difficult to understand Sarah's ___________________ when they are talking.
(a) Sense of humor.
(c) Feelings about her mother.
(d) Rapid hand movements.
4. Sarah finds it difficult to understand James' ______________ when they are communicating.
(a) Lip movements.
(b) Hearing sense of humor.
(d) Raid hand movements.
5. What is the request that Sarah does not agree with when James asks her to do something?
(a) Leave the school.
(b) To avoid Orin.
(d) To become more active in the world.
6. What does James try to do in order to break the tension between him and the new student?
(a) Read a poem.
(b) Do a magic trick.
(c) Make jokes.
7. __________ has found out about James' date with Sarah and is not happy with this development.
(a) Mr. Franklin.
(c) Mrs. Norman.
8. What does Sarah say is terrible about the way that James tries to interact with her?
(a) His word choices.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His timing.
(d) His dark mood.
9. James tells Sarah's mother he is just trying to help her to ___________ in the world of the hearing.
(c) Stand out.
10. Sarah asks James to _____________ and he does without question or condemnation.
(b) Live with her.
(c) Help her.
(d) Marry her.
11. What did James' mother say to him when he said that he didn't want to listen to her anymore - "James can't save me; he never could. ________."
12. Sarah's mother did not know that Sarah was working at the school as a ____________.
13. Orin tells James that he needs Sarah for the ______________, confronting James about their relationship again.
(a) School's play.
(b) Deaf cause.
(c) Speech team.
(d) National protest.
14. What does James assume the new student can do, though they cannot, causing communication difficulties?
(c) Lip read.
15. What is the sign that Sarah makes to James in the first argument they have?
(a) You stink.
(b) I can't believe you're leaving.
(c) I Love You.
(d) Join, Unjoin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Sarah enjoy her job, according to the way she responds to James when he asks?
2. What meal do James and Sarah share when they head out with each other?
3. James tells Mrs. Norman that Sarah is ____________ and that she could do more with her life.
4. What does Sarah do at the end of her first conversation with James as a result of his nervousness?
5. It's found out that Sarah hasn't been home to see her mother since she was _______ years old.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)