|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Norman accuses James of trying to force Sarah to __________ and lip read so she can pass for hearing.
(a) Go to class.
(d) Speak up.
2. Sarah finds it difficult to understand James' ______________ when they are communicating.
(a) Lip movements.
(b) Raid hand movements.
(d) Hearing sense of humor.
3. It's found out that Sarah hasn't been home to see her mother since she was _______ years old.
4. Sarah asks James to _____________ and he does without question or condemnation.
(a) Live with her.
(b) Marry her.
(d) Help her.
5. What is James trying to do when he runs into Mr. Franklin after fighting with Sarah?
(a) Teach another student.
(b) Chase after her.
(c) Run away from her.
(d) Write his resignation letter.
6. How does Sarah keep her distance from James when they are dancing with each other?
(a) She doesn't.
(b) By pushing him away.
(c) By signing and dancing at the same time.
(d) By taking a lot of breaks.
7. Who does James decide to talk to in order to get to know Sarah more?
(a) Mrs. Austin.
(c) Mr. Franklin.
(d) Mrs. Norman.
8. James is curious whether Sarah left of her own accord, or if ___________.
(a) Mr. Franklin told her to break it off.
(b) She was forced to leave.
(c) She even loves him.
(d) He drove her away.
9. What does Sarah say is terrible about the way that James tries to interact with her?
(a) His timing.
(b) His dark mood.
(c) His word choices.
(d) His sense of humor.
10. Who enters the classroom near the end of James' teaching time with his class?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Franklin.
(c) Mrs. Norman.
(d) Mrs. Austin.
11. What does Sarah ask James to do when they are out on the town?
(a) Buy her ice cream.
(b) Take her to a movie.
12. What is Sarah's reaction to the action James takes after she is angry with him as mentioned in #35?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) She says yes, she will marry him.
(c) She accepts the date.
(d) She runs after him.
13. James: "In the beginning, there was __________ and out of that silence there could come only one thing: Speech."
14. What does James do when he hears Sarah making fun of the people she is making fun of?
(a) Reprimands her.
(b) Ignores her.
(c) Laughs with her.
(d) Continues the joke.
15. What did Sarah as a child draw on her picture of the Virgin Mary, which infuriated her mother?
(a) A hearing aid.
(b) A pentacle.
(c) A cane.
(d) A moustache.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah do at the end of her first conversation with James as a result of his nervousness?
2. Who leaves the stage as James goes to meet up with Sarah after he is done teaching?
3. Who is the last student of the day when James is getting ready to head out with Sarah?
4. Who is the young student that James tries to encourage at the start of this scene?
5. Sarah's mother does challenge _____________ to help Sarah find an alternative job, however.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)