|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James tells Sarah's mother he is just trying to help her to ___________ in the world of the hearing.
(c) Stand out.
2. The lead actress, Sarah Norman, is ___________, according to the character description.
(b) Partially deaf.
(c) A speech therapist.
3. Sarah admits that while she's had sex with many men, no one has penetrated her inner ___________.
4. James finds it difficult to understand Sarah's ___________________ when they are talking.
(b) Sense of humor.
(c) Rapid hand movements.
(d) Feelings about her mother.
5. Sarah signs to James that she has ___________ except for him.
(b) Joys in her life.
(c) Contentment in her life.
6. Sarah also accuses James of trying to ___________ everyone at the school, including her.
(c) Argue with.
7. Does Sarah enjoy her job, according to the way she responds to James when he asks?
(a) She doesn't answer.
(d) She tells him that's not a question he should ask.
8. Sarah also signs to James that she does not _________ him, as she still has herself.
9. James is curious whether Sarah left of her own accord, or if ___________.
(a) She even loves him.
(b) She was forced to leave.
(c) Mr. Franklin told her to break it off.
(d) He drove her away.
10. Mrs. Norman accuses James of trying to force Sarah to __________ and lip read so she can pass for hearing.
(b) Go to class.
(c) Speak up.
11. Sarah tells James that if he doesn't _________ a little faster, their session will be over.
12. What does James do after trying to calm Sarah down when she flies into a rage?
(a) Tells her never to talk to him again.
(b) Proposes to her.
(c) Walks away from her.
(d) Asks her on a date.
13. Who leaves the stage as James goes to meet up with Sarah after he is done teaching?
(d) Mr. Franklin.
14. What did James' mother say to him when he said that he didn't want to listen to her anymore - "James can't save me; he never could. ________."
15. What is the request that Sarah does not agree with when James asks her to do something?
(a) To avoid Orin.
(c) Leave the school.
(d) To become more active in the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the new student's reaction to the way that James is trying to communicate with her?
2. Who was in attendance at the wedding of James and of Sarah?
3. Who did Sarah have a relationship with before starting her relationship with James?
4. What intimidates James about the new student being introduced to him during his class?
5. What does James decide he wants to ask Sarah to do, in spite of all he's learned?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)