|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sarah point out on the menu that shows James just how helpless she is?
(a) Bread choices.
2. Where is Sarah during the last lesson of the day that James has to take care of before leaving?
3. James: "In the beginning, there was __________ and out of that silence there could come only one thing: Speech."
4. Is Orin successful in his attempts to make the sound that is difficult for him?
(a) He always knew how to make the sound.
(b) Not that day.
5. Sarah signs to James that she has ___________ except for him.
(a) Contentment in her life.
(d) Joys in her life.
6. James begins to realize that Sarah may not be able to __________ or she might not understand what it means.
7. What is James trying to do when he runs into Mr. Franklin after fighting with Sarah?
(a) Write his resignation letter.
(b) Teach another student.
(c) Run away from her.
(d) Chase after her.
8. What causes Sarah to fly into a rage when James mentions it to her?
(a) His eventual move away from her.
(b) His desire for her to speak.
(c) His grading system.
(d) His visit with her mother.
9. What does James do after trying to calm Sarah down when she flies into a rage?
(a) Tells her never to talk to him again.
(b) Proposes to her.
(c) Asks her on a date.
(d) Walks away from her.
10. What is the new student's reaction to the way that James is trying to communicate with her?
(b) Running away.
(c) Blank stare.
11. What didn't the Justice of the Peace do during the ceremony performed for James and Sarah?
(a) Make it official.
(c) Lip read.
12. Because Sarah spoke poorly, people thought she was ______________, so she stopped.
(a) A child.
(b) An idiot.
(d) Mentally handicapped.
13. Who does James decide to talk to in order to get to know Sarah more?
(a) Mr. Franklin.
(c) Mrs. Norman.
(d) Mrs. Austin.
14. Sarah and James make a pact: "Let no one, living or dead, absent or present, ever _____________."
(a) Influence us.
(b) Hurt us again.
(c) Stop us.
(d) Come between us.
15. Sarah had sex when she was younger to prove that there was something she could ___________ than the hearing girls could.
(a) Do better.
(b) Learn faster.
(c) Enjoy more.
(d) Hate more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intimidates James about the new student being introduced to him during his class?
2. The next scene after the dancing involves James going to ___________ dormitory room.
3. __________ has found out about James' date with Sarah and is not happy with this development.
4. Who enters the room as a new student that is being introduced to the class and to James?
5. Sarah is found to not be very close to her ___________, according to James' research.
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)