|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who uses the example of Ender killing two boys in Battle School to support their argument?
2. What is the relationship of Yasujiro Tsutsumi to Aimaina Hikari?
3. How many stories of the old part of the building where the "godproof computer network" is stored are identical?
4. Who makes a joke, saying he cannot determine whether the fact that Jane inhabited Peter makes him holy or the fact that she left him makes Peter unholy?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about Jane's interaction with the mothertrees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What delicate and subtle presence does Jane encounter after exploring the networks of the Hive Queens, and how does the interaction between Jane and this presence play out?
2. When Jane returns to her now body to begin her existence as Val, what happens to her aiua and to Val's aiua?
3. As Jane enters Young Val's body, what happens?
4. Describe how Peter responds to waking on the beach with Wang-mu curled in beside him.
5. What false disclosure does Quara make to Wang-mu, and what conclusion does Wang-mu come to about her lies?
6. Describe Novinha's words to Ender when she releases him.
7. Describe what Peter says that Admiral Lands should include in the report about the Little Doctor and their mission.
8. How did Quara react to Peter giving the Little Doctor back, and why is Peter surprised by her reaction?
9. Who is concerned that they might be betraying Ender in "Am I Betraying Ender" and why?
10. Describe the thoughts Plikt has as she contemplates how to speak Ender's death properly alone in her room.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Am I Betraying Ender," Jane and Miro question whether they are betraying Ender in their happiness. Write an essay exploring how the theme of betrayal or suspected betrayal comes into play in this and other scenes in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There are many examples of forgiveness in the novel. For example, early in the novel, Novinha forgives Ender for the death of her son, Quim. Write an essay exploring the many acts of forgiveness in the novel and explaining how forgiveness serves as an underlying theme.
Essay Topic 3
At Hikari's place, Peter, Wang-mu, and Hikari undergo an act of wrangling to show who has the most humility. Which of the characters do you think wins this competition in this chapter? And which do you think has the most humility in the novel? Write an essay exploring your answers to these questions and how they are similar or different.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)