|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the networks among the Hive Queens familiar to Jane?
2. What happens when Jane first leaps into Young Val's body?
3. What is the name of the influential businessmen who visit Yasujiro Tsutsumi?
4. What is something new that Jane experiences as a human in her argument with Quara aboard the starship?
5. After sending a test ship "Outside," what does Jane do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Peter responds to waking on the beach with Wang-mu curled in beside him.
2. Who is concerned that they might be betraying Ender in "Am I Betraying Ender" and why?
3. When Jane returns to her now body to begin her existence as Val, what happens to her aiua and to Val's aiua?
4. Describe how Jane transports Peter and Wang-mu aboard the Starways Congress starship and where they land on the ship.
5. What joke does Malu make regarding Jane's inhabiting of Peter?
6. As Jane enters Young Val's body, what happens?
7. Why are Peter and Wang-mu invited to a university on Pacifica and who accompanies them?
8. What experience does Jane have for the first time in her 3,000 year existence in response to Quara, and what realization does she come to because of this?
9. Describe what Jane says after she tells Miro that he reminds her of Ender.
10. What is Admiral Bobby Lands plan for the detonation of the M.D. Device before Peter and Wang-mu arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Malu makes a joke, saying he cannot determine whether the fact that Jane inhabited Peter makes him holy or the fact that she left him makes Peter unholy. Write an essay arguing one side of Malu's point, providing clear evidence and examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
When Peter and Wang-mu arrive on Divine Wind, Wang-mu throws a bee at Peter. Write an essay exploring the significance of this action to character development, showing how Peter and Wang-mu's characters are exposed through this episode and how they change after this episode.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)