|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The descoladores have designed a molecule that would fit into the human brain's receptor node for _____.
2. Why does Jane say it is good Miro is not completely like Ender?
3. What does Admiral Lands consider in the best interest of humanity after he receives the stop command from the Starways Congress?
4. When Peter awakens on the beach in "You Called Me Back from Darkness," who is next to him?
5. What is Olhado doing in the forest when he is beckoned by a piggy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jane moves the starship for the first time after making her way back onto the computer network, how do Peter and Wang-mu both respond?
2. What false disclosure does Quara make to Wang-mu, and what conclusion does Wang-mu come to about her lies?
3. What is on the latest molecular blueprint that Quara receives from the descoladore planet and what does she suggest the implication is?
4. What experience does Jane have for the first time in her 3,000 year existence in response to Quara, and what realization does she come to because of this?
5. What do Peter and Wang-mu see in a very old building at the university on Pacifica and what is the significance of the contents?
6. How did Quara react to Peter giving the Little Doctor back, and why is Peter surprised by her reaction?
7. Who is the Hive Queen in telepathic contact with when she announces that it is time for Jane to attempt to find her way back into the computer network, who gives the message to Jane, and how does Jane respond?
8. Describe how Peter responds to waking on the beach with Wang-mu curled in beside him.
9. What is Admiral Bobby Lands plan for the detonation of the M.D. Device before Peter and Wang-mu arrive?
10. When Jane returns to her now body to begin her existence as Val, what happens to her aiua and to Val's aiua?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring how the themes of benevolence and survival play out against each other in the search for a new home for Jane's aiua throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At Hikari's place, Peter, Wang-mu, and Hikari undergo an act of wrangling to show who has the most humility. Which of the characters do you think wins this competition in this chapter? And which do you think has the most humility in the novel? Write an essay exploring your answers to these questions and how they are similar or different.
Essay Topic 3
Quara falsely claims that her brother Quim, whom everyone idolizes, secretly molested her for many years, making her into the angry person she is today. Write an essay describing the environment around and the reactions to Quara's false disclosure. What does this lie say about her character? Do you think this affects her ability to be a likable character? Why or why not? Why do you think Card made the decision to have Quara lie to Wang-mu about this molestation?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)