|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Quara and Jane argue aboard the starship about Quara's suggestion regarding the descoladores, what does Jane tell Quara?
2. When the ansible is not in communication with the Starways Congress's ansibles, who does it communicate with?
3. After the M.D. device is detected, why won't Jane push it outside?
4. When Peter awakens on the beach in "You Called Me Back from Darkness," how does his persona change?
5. Why does Miro state that is would be a shame if Ender came through the transformation exactly as he was before?
Essay Topic 1
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
Quara falsely claims that her brother Quim, whom everyone idolizes, secretly molested her for many years, making her into the angry person she is today. Write an essay describing the environment around and the reactions to Quara's false disclosure. What does this lie say about her character? Do you think this affects her ability to be a likable character? Why or why not? Why do you think Card made the decision to have Quara lie to Wang-mu about this molestation?
Essay Topic 3
At Hikari's place, Peter, Wang-mu, and Hikari undergo an act of wrangling to show who has the most humility. Which of the characters do you think wins this competition in this chapter? And which do you think has the most humility in the novel? Write an essay exploring your answers to these questions and how they are similar or different.
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)