|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Peter awakens on the beach in "You Called Me Back from Darkness," how does his persona change?
2. When Jane begins crying for the first time, what does she tell Miro?
3. What will happen if Yasujiro Tsutsumi's request to stop the fleet is rejected?
4. What quality does Jane possess that makes her more than human after she enters Val's body?
5. Who does Jane forgive for speaking brutally to Young Val?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the thoughts Plikt has as she contemplates how to speak Ender's death properly alone in her room.
2. What is on the latest molecular blueprint that Quara receives from the descoladore planet and what does she suggest the implication is?
3. Who is concerned that they might be betraying Ender in "Am I Betraying Ender" and why?
4. Describe Novinha's words to Ender when she releases him.
5. Describe what Jane says after she tells Miro that he reminds her of Ender.
6. When Yasujiro Tsutsumi asks whether Hikari expects him to bribe the politicians to stop the fleet, how does Hikari respond?
7. Why are Peter and Wang-mu invited to a university on Pacifica and who accompanies them?
8. When Jane moves the starship for the first time after making her way back onto the computer network, how do Peter and Wang-mu both respond?
9. What delicate and subtle presence does Jane encounter after exploring the networks of the Hive Queens, and how does the interaction between Jane and this presence play out?
10. Describe Jane's exploration of the networks among the Hive Queens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much attention given in the novel to the settling in of Wang-mu and Peter to their new place on Divine Wood. Write an essay exploring the importance of this "settling in" in a novel where a premium is placed on travel.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Malu makes a joke, saying he cannot determine whether the fact that Jane inhabited Peter makes him holy or the fact that she left him makes Peter unholy. Write an essay arguing one side of Malu's point, providing clear evidence and examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
When Miro first visits the Hive Queen, she does not want to help them find a way to put Jane's aiua into Val's body. However, she is later convinced. Explore this and other episodes where characters are forced or encouraged to change their mind in the book. What significance do you think changing one's mind plays in character development in the novel?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)