|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Jane try to enter Young Val's body?
2. Who does Jane forgive for speaking brutally to Young Val?
3. Who leads Ender into Peter's body?
4. When Jane begins crying for the first time, what does she tell Miro?
5. On Pacifica, Malu announces the god is come and _________ shouts at Jane to get out of Peter.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Yasujiro Tsutsumi asks whether Hikari expects him to bribe the politicians to stop the fleet, how does Hikari respond?
2. Who is the Hive Queen in telepathic contact with when she announces that it is time for Jane to attempt to find her way back into the computer network, who gives the message to Jane, and how does Jane respond?
3. What experience does Jane have for the first time in her 3,000 year existence in response to Quara, and what realization does she come to because of this?
4. What happens as Jane begins attempting to let go off the ansible lines?
5. Describe how Peter responds to waking on the beach with Wang-mu curled in beside him.
6. When Jane returns to her now body to begin her existence as Val, what happens to her aiua and to Val's aiua?
7. What false disclosure does Quara make to Wang-mu, and what conclusion does Wang-mu come to about her lies?
8. Describe how Jane transports Peter and Wang-mu aboard the Starways Congress starship and where they land on the ship.
9. What is Admiral Bobby Lands plan for the detonation of the M.D. Device before Peter and Wang-mu arrive?
10. Why does Miro tell Young Val that she is selfish and how does he feel afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Peter and Wang-mu arrive on Divine Wind, Wang-mu throws a bee at Peter. Write an essay exploring the significance of this action to character development, showing how Peter and Wang-mu's characters are exposed through this episode and how they change after this episode.
Essay Topic 2
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
There are many examples of forgiveness in the novel. For example, early in the novel, Novinha forgives Ender for the death of her son, Quim. Write an essay exploring the many acts of forgiveness in the novel and explaining how forgiveness serves as an underlying theme.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)