|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miro think that Quara is as contrary as she is?
2. After the M.D. device is detected, why won't Jane push it outside?
3. Who says "till death ends all surprises."
4. At the end of the chapter "How Do You Know They Aren't Quivering in Terror," how does Wang-mu feel about her wedding?
5. Who presses the button to start the "godproof computer network"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is concerned that they might be betraying Ender in "Am I Betraying Ender" and why?
2. When Jane moves the starship for the first time after making her way back onto the computer network, how do Peter and Wang-mu both respond?
3. Describe what Peter says that Admiral Lands should include in the report about the Little Doctor and their mission.
4. What happens as Jane begins attempting to let go off the ansible lines?
5. When Jane returns to her now body to begin her existence as Val, what happens to her aiua and to Val's aiua?
6. What false disclosure does Quara make to Wang-mu, and what conclusion does Wang-mu come to about her lies?
7. As Jane enters Young Val's body, what happens?
8. What joke does Malu make regarding Jane's inhabiting of Peter?
9. Describe the thoughts Plikt has as she contemplates how to speak Ender's death properly alone in her room.
10. Why does Miro tell Young Val that she is selfish and how does he feel afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Peter and Wang-mu meet Malu, they discuss whether Peter or Val is a more suitable host for Jane. Write an essay exploring the process that went into the choice for Jane's host body. What factors had to be considered? How did the transfer eventually take place?
Essay Topic 2
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the different characters responses to the message to stop the detonation of the M.D. device. Consider why each character reacts in the way that they do and why there is such a contrast between the responses.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)