|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jane's dying become more bearable with time?
2. Who leads Ender into Peter's body?
3. When the ansible is not in communication with the Starways Congress's ansibles, who does it communicate with?
4. What does Plikt realize she will not tell about Ender's story as she contemplates it in her room?
5. What happens to Young Val when Jane takes over her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is visiting Yasujiro Tsutsumi when Aimaina Hikari arrives, and how does Yasujiro Tsutsumi respond to Hikari's arrival?
2. What false disclosure does Quara make to Wang-mu, and what conclusion does Wang-mu come to about her lies?
3. What do Peter and Wang-mu see in a very old building at the university on Pacifica and what is the significance of the contents?
4. What is on the latest molecular blueprint that Quara receives from the descoladore planet and what does she suggest the implication is?
5. What experience does Jane have for the first time in her 3,000 year existence in response to Quara, and what realization does she come to because of this?
6. Describe Jane's exploration of the networks among the Hive Queens.
7. Describe the thoughts Plikt has as she contemplates how to speak Ender's death properly alone in her room.
8. Who is the Hive Queen in telepathic contact with when she announces that it is time for Jane to attempt to find her way back into the computer network, who gives the message to Jane, and how does Jane respond?
9. When Yasujiro Tsutsumi asks whether Hikari expects him to bribe the politicians to stop the fleet, how does Hikari respond?
10. Describe how Jane transports Peter and Wang-mu aboard the Starways Congress starship and where they land on the ship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Quara falsely claims that her brother Quim, whom everyone idolizes, secretly molested her for many years, making her into the angry person she is today. Write an essay describing the environment around and the reactions to Quara's false disclosure. What does this lie say about her character? Do you think this affects her ability to be a likable character? Why or why not? Why do you think Card made the decision to have Quara lie to Wang-mu about this molestation?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining how the argument that "the ends justify the means" comes into play in the novel regarding the transfer of Jane's aiua into another human's body.
Essay Topic 3
There is much attention given in the novel to the settling in of Wang-mu and Peter to their new place on Divine Wood. Write an essay exploring the importance of this "settling in" in a novel where a premium is placed on travel.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)