|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Young Val when Jane takes over her body?
2. When Peter awakens on the beach in "You Called Me Back from Darkness," who is next to him?
3. What is the name of the influential businessmen who visit Yasujiro Tsutsumi?
4. What quality does Jane possess that makes her more than human after she enters Val's body?
5. How many years has it taken to undo the damage from the destruction of the buggers' home planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Admiral Bobby Lands plan for the detonation of the M.D. Device before Peter and Wang-mu arrive?
2. Who is visiting Yasujiro Tsutsumi when Aimaina Hikari arrives, and how does Yasujiro Tsutsumi respond to Hikari's arrival?
3. How did Quara react to Peter giving the Little Doctor back, and why is Peter surprised by her reaction?
4. Who is the Hive Queen in telepathic contact with when she announces that it is time for Jane to attempt to find her way back into the computer network, who gives the message to Jane, and how does Jane respond?
5. What do Peter and Wang-mu see in a very old building at the university on Pacifica and what is the significance of the contents?
6. Who is concerned that they might be betraying Ender in "Am I Betraying Ender" and why?
7. Describe the thoughts Plikt has as she contemplates how to speak Ender's death properly alone in her room.
8. Why does Miro tell Young Val that she is selfish and how does he feel afterward?
9. When Yasujiro Tsutsumi asks whether Hikari expects him to bribe the politicians to stop the fleet, how does Hikari respond?
10. What delicate and subtle presence does Jane encounter after exploring the networks of the Hive Queens, and how does the interaction between Jane and this presence play out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
There is much attention given to the reconciliation of Ender and his wife. How is this reconciliation important to the plot and character development in the novel? Write an essay describing the influence and importance of this reconciliation.
Essay Topic 3
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)