|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the original catalyst for Ender and Novinha's separation?
2. After Miro finds out that Jane's real mission for them was not finding habitable planets, what does he guess the real mission is?
3. Why does Jane send Miro and Young Val to different planets?
4. How does Wang-mu respond after Grace points out Peter and her scam and calls them liars?
5. Who does Novinha say "spins a pretty story"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ender's attention affect Val in "Life is a Suicide Mission" and how does she react to it?
2. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
3. Describe the events surrounding Ender's collapse in the Filho's courtyard.
4. Describe Malu's entrance for his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter.
5. What does the Hive Queen suggest about the mission that Jane is sending Miro and Young Val on and how does Miro confront Jane about this issue?
6. What work have Miro and Young Valentine been engaged in since shortly after working out the logistics of faster than light travel and how quickly are they able to complete this work?
7. Who does Malu think is a better host for Jane's aiua and why?
8. How do Human and the Hive Queen try to capture Jane's aiua, and what conclusion do they come to when they are unsuccessful?
9. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
10. What role does Wang-mu adopt when visiting Aimaina Hikari and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Novinha remarks that Val "spins a pretty story" and Val answers, "all stories are fictions. What matters is which fiction you believe." Write an essay exploring the significance of such a quote in a fictional story. What do you think this quote says about the art of fiction?
Essay Topic 2
There is much attention given to the reconciliation of Ender and his wife. How is this reconciliation important to the plot and character development in the novel? Write an essay describing the influence and importance of this reconciliation.
Essay Topic 3
There is much attention given in the novel to the settling in of Wang-mu and Peter to their new place on Divine Wood. Write an essay exploring the importance of this "settling in" in a novel where a premium is placed on travel.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)