|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jane send Miro and Young Val to different planets?
2. What religious order does Novinha, Ender's wife, enter?
3. Which of the following characters does not help Human and the Hive Queen create the largest philotic web ever?
4. What does the ship Peter and Wang-mu use to fly to Divine Wood look like?
5. In Chapter 1, who insists that Peter better "be nice" to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hive Queen's and Human's discussion about finding a way to help Jane transfer to a body.
2. Who claims that "life is a suicide mission," and why?
3. As the ansibles and entire networks go offline, how is Jane affected and how does she respond?
4. By what name does Malu refer to Jane and why?
5. How do Human and the Hive Queen try to capture Jane's aiua, and what conclusion do they come to when they are unsuccessful?
6. At the beginning of the novel, what does Jane do while Miro and Young Valentine scout for new habitable planets? What will happen after Jane is finished with her task?
7. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
8. Describe the conversation between Old Val and Young Val about the nature of Young Val's existence.
9. Describe Miro and Young Val's arrival at the Hive and what they encounter in the passages on the way to see the Hive Queen.
10. After losing many other men, for what does Novinha tell Ender she will hold him personally responsible and how can Ender avoid this responsibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Filhos courtyard, Novinha discovers that Ender has collapsed. What significance does this collapse have? Write an essay exploring Ender's character in terms of physical weakness and strength. How does this physical weakness and strength translate into other facets of his character?
Essay Topic 2
The faster-than-light ship is described early on in the novel in a fair amount of detail. What other modes of transportation are used in the novel? Write an essay comparing and contrasting the various methods of travel in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
There are many examples of forgiveness in the novel. For example, early in the novel, Novinha forgives Ender for the death of her son, Quim. Write an essay exploring the many acts of forgiveness in the novel and explaining how forgiveness serves as an underlying theme.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)