|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the "Nobody is Rational" chapter, where does Ender collapse?
2. How does Wang-mu interpret Malu's story of creation?
3. When Wang-mu and Peter first go to Divine Wood, what is the fake identity that Peter adopts?
4. What religious movement is thriving on Pacifica?
5. How does Jane determine who has the power to influence Hikari?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hive Queen's and Human's discussion about finding a way to help Jane transfer to a body.
2. Describe the game that goes on as Peter and Wang-mu arrive at Hikara's place.
3. After losing many other men, for what does Novinha tell Ender she will hold him personally responsible and how can Ender avoid this responsibility?
4. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
5. Who claims that "life is a suicide mission," and why?
6. What work have Miro and Young Valentine been engaged in since shortly after working out the logistics of faster than light travel and how quickly are they able to complete this work?
7. What does the Hive Queen suggest about the mission that Jane is sending Miro and Young Val on and how does Miro confront Jane about this issue?
8. Why does Novinha accuse Plikt of acting like a cannibal, and how does Plikt respond to her?
9. What role does Wang-mu adopt when visiting Aimaina Hikari and why?
10. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The faster-than-light ship is described early on in the novel in a fair amount of detail. What other modes of transportation are used in the novel? Write an essay comparing and contrasting the various methods of travel in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Quara falsely claims that her brother Quim, whom everyone idolizes, secretly molested her for many years, making her into the angry person she is today. Write an essay describing the environment around and the reactions to Quara's false disclosure. What does this lie say about her character? Do you think this affects her ability to be a likable character? Why or why not? Why do you think Card made the decision to have Quara lie to Wang-mu about this molestation?
Essay Topic 3
At Hikari's place, Peter, Wang-mu, and Hikari undergo an act of wrangling to show who has the most humility. Which of the characters do you think wins this competition in this chapter? And which do you think has the most humility in the novel? Write an essay exploring your answers to these questions and how they are similar or different.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)