|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the novel Children of the Mind begin?
2. What type of colony was Divine Wood originally?
3. Grace is a philosopher that writes under the name Grace _____.
4. How does Malu compare in appearance to other Samoans?
5. How does Quim die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Novinha accuse Plikt of acting like a cannibal, and how does Plikt respond to her?
2. Why do Peter and Wang-mu not have to learn a new language on Divine Wood and what language is spoken?
3. What false disclosure does Quara make to Wang-mu, and what conclusion does Wang-mu come to about her lies?
4. What work have Miro and Young Valentine been engaged in since shortly after working out the logistics of faster than light travel and how quickly are they able to complete this work?
5. When Yasujiro Tsutsumi asks whether Hikari expects him to bribe the politicians to stop the fleet, how does Hikari respond?
6. Describe the conversation between Old Val and Young Val about the nature of Young Val's existence.
7. By what name does Malu refer to Jane and why?
8. Why does Miro tell Young Val that she is selfish and how does he feel afterward?
9. Describe how Jane transports Peter and Wang-mu aboard the Starways Congress starship and where they land on the ship.
10. What do Peter and Wang-mu see in a very old building at the university on Pacifica and what is the significance of the contents?
Essay Topic 1
There is much attention given in the novel to the settling in of Wang-mu and Peter to their new place on Divine Wood. Write an essay exploring the importance of this "settling in" in a novel where a premium is placed on travel.
Essay Topic 2
When Peter and Wang-mu meet Malu, they discuss whether Peter or Val is a more suitable host for Jane. Write an essay exploring the process that went into the choice for Jane's host body. What factors had to be considered? How did the transfer eventually take place?
Essay Topic 3
Quara falsely claims that her brother Quim, whom everyone idolizes, secretly molested her for many years, making her into the angry person she is today. Write an essay describing the environment around and the reactions to Quara's false disclosure. What does this lie say about her character? Do you think this affects her ability to be a likable character? Why or why not? Why do you think Card made the decision to have Quara lie to Wang-mu about this molestation?
This section contains 1,897 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)