|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Malu suggest Val might be a better host than Peter for Jane?
2. Who does Malu refer to as "the god who dances on spider webs"?
3. What is the relationship of Quim to Novinha?
4. How does Miro respond to Jane's looming destruction after the shutdown of the ansible networks begins?
5. Which of the following is a condition to full entry into the religious order that Novinha has joined?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
2. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
3. Why do Peter and Wang-mu not have to learn a new language on Divine Wood and what language is spoken?
4. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
5. How does Old Val compliment Miro to Young Val and why?
6. Who was Novinha's rival, and how is Novinha asked to help this rival?
7. Describe the conversation between Old Val and Young Val about the nature of Young Val's existence.
8. Who claims that "life is a suicide mission," and why?
9. What does Peter tell Wang-mu to do while they are quarreling aboard the faster-than-light ship, and how does she respond?
10. Describe the Hive Queen's and Human's discussion about finding a way to help Jane transfer to a body.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Quara finds in a molecular blueprint received from the descoladore planet that the descoladores have designed a molecule that would fit into the human's brain receptor node for heroin. Research the effects of heroin and write an essay exploring the significance of this discovery by the descoladores in the context of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The faster-than-light ship is described early on in the novel in a fair amount of detail. What other modes of transportation are used in the novel? Write an essay comparing and contrasting the various methods of travel in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the different characters responses to the message to stop the detonation of the M.D. device. Consider why each character reacts in the way that they do and why there is such a contrast between the responses.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)