|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Wang-mu aghast when Peter tells her she may step off the ship?
2. Who is Rooter?
3. What religious order does Novinha, Ender's wife, enter?
4. When does Grace join Peter and Wang-mu during their first meal at Grace's house?
5. Who does Wang-mu become aware of standing beside her and holding her hand as Jane dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding Ender's collapse in the Filho's courtyard.
2. Describe the Hive Queen's and Human's discussion about finding a way to help Jane transfer to a body.
3. What does the Hive Queen suggest about the mission that Jane is sending Miro and Young Val on and how does Miro confront Jane about this issue?
4. How was Peter called into being and why does this cause problems?
5. What work have Miro and Young Valentine been engaged in since shortly after working out the logistics of faster than light travel and how quickly are they able to complete this work?
6. At the beginning of the novel, what does Jane do while Miro and Young Valentine scout for new habitable planets? What will happen after Jane is finished with her task?
7. Describe the conversation between Old Val and Young Val about the nature of Young Val's existence.
8. What role does Wang-mu adopt when visiting Aimaina Hikari and why?
9. How does Miro convince Young Val to see the Hive Queen at the beginning of "Nobody is Rational"?
10. Why does Grace's husband laugh when Peter asks if he and Wang-mu can go see Malu and to what does he compare Peter's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining how the argument that "the ends justify the means" comes into play in the novel regarding the transfer of Jane's aiua into another human's body.
Essay Topic 2
Quara falsely claims that her brother Quim, whom everyone idolizes, secretly molested her for many years, making her into the angry person she is today. Write an essay describing the environment around and the reactions to Quara's false disclosure. What does this lie say about her character? Do you think this affects her ability to be a likable character? Why or why not? Why do you think Card made the decision to have Quara lie to Wang-mu about this molestation?
Essay Topic 3
The faster-than-light ship is described early on in the novel in a fair amount of detail. What other modes of transportation are used in the novel? Write an essay comparing and contrasting the various methods of travel in the novel.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)