|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Grace join Peter and Wang-mu during their first meal at Grace's house?
2. When Miro goes to speak to Ender at the end of the chapter, "There are Too Many of Us," what does he ask Ender to do?
3. Who controls the flight of the spaceship in Chapter 1?
4. When Wang-mu and Peter first go to Divine Wood, what is the fake identity that Peter adopts?
5. What observation does Malu make about Jane's attitude toward her mechanical body?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Human and the Hive Queen try to capture Jane's aiua, and what conclusion do they come to when they are unsuccessful?
2. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
3. After losing many other men, for what does Novinha tell Ender she will hold him personally responsible and how can Ender avoid this responsibility?
4. At the beginning of the novel, what does Jane do while Miro and Young Valentine scout for new habitable planets? What will happen after Jane is finished with her task?
5. What role does Wang-mu adopt when visiting Aimaina Hikari and why?
6. Describe the game that goes on as Peter and Wang-mu arrive at Hikara's place.
7. Who was Novinha's rival, and how is Novinha asked to help this rival?
8. Describe the conversation when Miro goes to speak to Ender.
9. Who claims that "life is a suicide mission," and why?
10. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At Hikari's place, Peter, Wang-mu, and Hikari undergo an act of wrangling to show who has the most humility. Which of the characters do you think wins this competition in this chapter? And which do you think has the most humility in the novel? Write an essay exploring your answers to these questions and how they are similar or different.
Essay Topic 2
There is much attention given to the reconciliation of Ender and his wife. How is this reconciliation important to the plot and character development in the novel? Write an essay describing the influence and importance of this reconciliation.
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Malu makes a joke, saying he cannot determine whether the fact that Jane inhabited Peter makes him holy or the fact that she left him makes Peter unholy. Write an essay arguing one side of Malu's point, providing clear evidence and examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)