|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hikari pour his own servant tea?
2. How does the novel Children of the Mind begin?
3. How are Miro and Young Val's work styles different when they are on the quest that Jane sends them?
4. What does Novinha do immediately after Ender collapses in "Nobody is Rational"?
5. Why does Young Val oppose putting Jane's aiua into her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
2. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
3. Describe the conversation when Miro goes to speak to Ender.
4. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
5. By what name does Malu refer to Jane and why?
6. What does Peter tell Wang-mu to do while they are quarreling aboard the faster-than-light ship, and how does she respond?
7. How do Human and the Hive Queen try to capture Jane's aiua, and what conclusion do they come to when they are unsuccessful?
8. Describe Malu's entrance for his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter.
9. After losing many other men, for what does Novinha tell Ender she will hold him personally responsible and how can Ender avoid this responsibility?
10. Describe the reconciliation between Novinha and Ender in the garden.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much attention given to the reconciliation of Ender and his wife. How is this reconciliation important to the plot and character development in the novel? Write an essay describing the influence and importance of this reconciliation.
Essay Topic 2
Novinha remarks that Val "spins a pretty story" and Val answers, "all stories are fictions. What matters is which fiction you believe." Write an essay exploring the significance of such a quote in a fictional story. What do you think this quote says about the art of fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how the themes of benevolence and survival play out against each other in the search for a new home for Jane's aiua throughout the novel.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)