|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ender at the beginning of the novel?
2. What is the name of the island on Pacifica where Peter and Wang-mu try to contact Malu?
3. What observation does Malu make about Jane's attitude toward her mechanical body?
4. How old was Ender when he left Earth?
5. What happens at the end of the "You Don't Believe in God" chapter when Ender and Novinha reunite in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Wang-mu adopt when visiting Aimaina Hikari and why?
2. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
3. Why does Novinha accuse Plikt of acting like a cannibal, and how does Plikt respond to her?
4. Describe the reconciliation between Novinha and Ender in the garden.
5. At the beginning of the novel, what does Jane do while Miro and Young Valentine scout for new habitable planets? What will happen after Jane is finished with her task?
6. How does Miro convince Young Val to see the Hive Queen at the beginning of "Nobody is Rational"?
7. How does Ender's attention affect Val in "Life is a Suicide Mission" and how does she react to it?
8. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
9. Describe the conversation between Old Val and Young Val about the nature of Young Val's existence.
10. Who claims that "life is a suicide mission," and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Peter and Wang-mu arrive on Divine Wind, Wang-mu throws a bee at Peter. Write an essay exploring the significance of this action to character development, showing how Peter and Wang-mu's characters are exposed through this episode and how they change after this episode.
Essay Topic 2
Quara finds in a molecular blueprint received from the descoladore planet that the descoladores have designed a molecule that would fit into the human's brain receptor node for heroin. Research the effects of heroin and write an essay exploring the significance of this discovery by the descoladores in the context of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
There are many examples of forgiveness in the novel. For example, early in the novel, Novinha forgives Ender for the death of her son, Quim. Write an essay exploring the many acts of forgiveness in the novel and explaining how forgiveness serves as an underlying theme.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)