|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious order does Novinha, Ender's wife, enter?
2. What is the relationship of Quim to Novinha?
3. Who goes with Young Val to visit the Hive Queen to seek more information about how to get Jane's aiua into Young Val?
4. According to Malu, how was the sun formed?
5. When Miro leaves Ender at the end of the chapter, "There are Too Many of Us," what action does Ender allow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Peter and Wang-mu invited to a university on Pacifica and who accompanies them?
2. What do Peter and Wang-mu see in a very old building at the university on Pacifica and what is the significance of the contents?
3. When Jane moves the starship for the first time after making her way back onto the computer network, how do Peter and Wang-mu both respond?
4. What joke does Malu make regarding Jane's inhabiting of Peter?
5. By what name does Malu refer to Jane and why?
6. What is on the latest molecular blueprint that Quara receives from the descoladore planet and what does she suggest the implication is?
7. What delicate and subtle presence does Jane encounter after exploring the networks of the Hive Queens, and how does the interaction between Jane and this presence play out?
8. Describe Malu's entrance for his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter.
9. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
10. Who is visiting Yasujiro Tsutsumi when Aimaina Hikari arrives, and how does Yasujiro Tsutsumi respond to Hikari's arrival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Novinha remarks that Val "spins a pretty story" and Val answers, "all stories are fictions. What matters is which fiction you believe." Write an essay exploring the significance of such a quote in a fictional story. What do you think this quote says about the art of fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Quara falsely claims that her brother Quim, whom everyone idolizes, secretly molested her for many years, making her into the angry person she is today. Write an essay describing the environment around and the reactions to Quara's false disclosure. What does this lie say about her character? Do you think this affects her ability to be a likable character? Why or why not? Why do you think Card made the decision to have Quara lie to Wang-mu about this molestation?
This section contains 1,817 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)