|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane relays the meeting between Peter, Wang-mu, Grace, and Malu to whom?
2. What must Peter and Wang-mu promise to do before meeting Malu?
3. Whose name does Ender call out to when Plikt is by his bedside?
4. What is the name of Ender's debilitated stepson?
5. How does Wang-mu interpret Malu's story of creation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who claims that "life is a suicide mission," and why?
2. Describe what Jane says after she tells Miro that he reminds her of Ender.
3. What is on the latest molecular blueprint that Quara receives from the descoladore planet and what does she suggest the implication is?
4. Who was Novinha's rival, and how is Novinha asked to help this rival?
5. As the ansibles and entire networks go offline, how is Jane affected and how does she respond?
6. What delicate and subtle presence does Jane encounter after exploring the networks of the Hive Queens, and how does the interaction between Jane and this presence play out?
7. How does Miro convince Young Val to see the Hive Queen at the beginning of "Nobody is Rational"?
8. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
9. Why does Grace's husband laugh when Peter asks if he and Wang-mu can go see Malu and to what does he compare Peter's request?
10. Describe the conversation between Old Val and Young Val about the nature of Young Val's existence.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Peter and Wang-mu meet Malu, they discuss whether Peter or Val is a more suitable host for Jane. Write an essay exploring the process that went into the choice for Jane's host body. What factors had to be considered? How did the transfer eventually take place?
Essay Topic 2
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining how the argument that "the ends justify the means" comes into play in the novel regarding the transfer of Jane's aiua into another human's body.
This section contains 1,802 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)