|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Novinha blame for Ender's collapse in "Nobody is Rational"?
2. What task has Peter been assigned that makes his work more interesting to Ender?
3. Grace is a philosopher that writes under the name Grace _____.
4. What does Novinha do immediately after Ender collapses in "Nobody is Rational"?
5. How old was Ender when he left Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, what does Jane do while Miro and Young Valentine scout for new habitable planets? What will happen after Jane is finished with her task?
2. Describe Malu's entrance for his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter.
3. Describe the reconciliation between Novinha and Ender in the garden.
4. What does the Hive Queen suggest about the mission that Jane is sending Miro and Young Val on and how does Miro confront Jane about this issue?
5. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
6. Why do Peter and Wang-mu not have to learn a new language on Divine Wood and what language is spoken?
7. Who does Malu think is a better host for Jane's aiua and why?
8. How do Human and the Hive Queen try to capture Jane's aiua, and what conclusion do they come to when they are unsuccessful?
9. After losing many other men, for what does Novinha tell Ender she will hold him personally responsible and how can Ender avoid this responsibility?
10. How does Ender's attention affect Val in "Life is a Suicide Mission" and how does she react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the different characters responses to the message to stop the detonation of the M.D. device. Consider why each character reacts in the way that they do and why there is such a contrast between the responses.
Essay Topic 3
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)