|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Novinha say "spins a pretty story"?
2. How many planets are Miro and Young Val able to visit on the quest that Jane sends them?
3. Grace is a philosopher that writes under the name Grace _____.
4. What observation does Malu make about Jane's attitude toward her mechanical body?
5. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what excuse does she give for not being able to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the ansibles and entire networks go offline, how is Jane affected and how does she respond?
2. How was Peter called into being and why does this cause problems?
3. How do Human and the Hive Queen try to capture Jane's aiua, and what conclusion do they come to when they are unsuccessful?
4. Who was Novinha's rival, and how is Novinha asked to help this rival?
5. Describe the reconciliation between Novinha and Ender in the garden.
6. Describe the events surrounding Ender's collapse in the Filho's courtyard.
7. Why does Grace's husband laugh when Peter asks if he and Wang-mu can go see Malu and to what does he compare Peter's request?
8. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
9. What role does Wang-mu adopt when visiting Aimaina Hikari and why?
10. Who claims that "life is a suicide mission," and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
At Hikari's place, Peter, Wang-mu, and Hikari undergo an act of wrangling to show who has the most humility. Which of the characters do you think wins this competition in this chapter? And which do you think has the most humility in the novel? Write an essay exploring your answers to these questions and how they are similar or different.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining how the argument that "the ends justify the means" comes into play in the novel regarding the transfer of Jane's aiua into another human's body.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)