Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what character of popular children's literature does Young Val compare herself?
2. Which of the following is not true about Marcao?
3. How does the Hive Queen warn Miro and Val that she does not want to help them while they are on the way to see her?
4. What is the name of Ender's debilitated stepson?
5. Why is combining the memories of Jane and Young Val possibly dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aboard Milo's starship, how does Quara act toward everyone and specifically towards Jane?
2. As Jane enters Young Val's body, what happens?
3. When Jane moves the starship for the first time after making her way back onto the computer network, how do Peter and Wang-mu both respond?
4. What happens as Jane begins attempting to let go off the ansible lines?
5. Describe Malu's entrance for his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter.
6. Describe what Jane says after she tells Miro that he reminds her of Ender.
7. Why are Peter and Wang-mu invited to a university on Pacifica and who accompanies them?
8. Describe Jane's exploration of the networks among the Hive Queens.
9. Why does Miro tell Young Val that she is selfish and how does he feel afterward?
10. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
Essay Topic 1
In the Filhos courtyard, Novinha discovers that Ender has collapsed. What significance does this collapse have? Write an essay exploring Ender's character in terms of physical weakness and strength. How does this physical weakness and strength translate into other facets of his character?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Malu makes a joke, saying he cannot determine whether the fact that Jane inhabited Peter makes him holy or the fact that she left him makes Peter unholy. Write an essay arguing one side of Malu's point, providing clear evidence and examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The faster-than-light ship is described early on in the novel in a fair amount of detail. What other modes of transportation are used in the novel? Write an essay comparing and contrasting the various methods of travel in the novel.
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)