|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Malu's followers do after Malu leaves his first visit with Peter and Wang-mu?
2. Why does Jane send Miro and Young Val to different planets?
3. Which of the following is not true about Marcao?
4. How are Miro and Young Val's work styles different when they are on the quest that Jane sends them?
5. Why does Malu suggest Val might be a better host than Peter for Jane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
2. Who claims that "life is a suicide mission," and why?
3. What does Peter tell Wang-mu to do while they are quarreling aboard the faster-than-light ship, and how does she respond?
4. Describe the conversation when Miro goes to speak to Ender.
5. Describe the Hive Queen's and Human's discussion about finding a way to help Jane transfer to a body.
6. Who does Malu think is a better host for Jane's aiua and why?
7. What work have Miro and Young Valentine been engaged in since shortly after working out the logistics of faster than light travel and how quickly are they able to complete this work?
8. What does Wang-mu first do when she and Peter land on Divine Wood and why?
9. By what name does Malu refer to Jane and why?
10. How does Ender's attention affect Val in "Life is a Suicide Mission" and how does she react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
When Peter and Wang-mu arrive on Divine Wind, Wang-mu throws a bee at Peter. Write an essay exploring the significance of this action to character development, showing how Peter and Wang-mu's characters are exposed through this episode and how they change after this episode.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)