|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ua Lava mean?
2. How does the novel Children of the Mind begin?
3. Who says she is "sick of letting people go"?
4. What religious order does Novinha, Ender's wife, enter?
5. What is Outspace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What joke does Malu make regarding Jane's inhabiting of Peter?
2. Why do Peter and Wang-mu not have to learn a new language on Divine Wood and what language is spoken?
3. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
4. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
5. Describe Jane's exploration of the networks among the Hive Queens.
6. How does Miro convince Young Val to see the Hive Queen at the beginning of "Nobody is Rational"?
7. What work have Miro and Young Valentine been engaged in since shortly after working out the logistics of faster than light travel and how quickly are they able to complete this work?
8. What does Peter tell Wang-mu to do while they are quarreling aboard the faster-than-light ship, and how does she respond?
9. What role does Wang-mu adopt when visiting Aimaina Hikari and why?
10. At the beginning of the novel, what does Jane do while Miro and Young Valentine scout for new habitable planets? What will happen after Jane is finished with her task?
Essay Topic 1
When Peter and Wang-mu meet Malu, they discuss whether Peter or Val is a more suitable host for Jane. Write an essay exploring the process that went into the choice for Jane's host body. What factors had to be considered? How did the transfer eventually take place?
Essay Topic 2
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
In "Am I Betraying Ender," Jane and Miro question whether they are betraying Ender in their happiness. Write an essay exploring how the theme of betrayal or suspected betrayal comes into play in this and other scenes in the novel.
This section contains 1,779 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)