|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Peter called into being?
2. What is the common language on Divine Wood?
3. How does Quim die?
4. When does Grace join Peter and Wang-mu during their first meal at Grace's house?
5. Who says, "all stories are fictions. What matters is which fiction you believe"?
Short Essay Questions
1. After losing many other men, for what does Novinha tell Ender she will hold him personally responsible and how can Ender avoid this responsibility?
2. How does Ender's attention affect Val in "Life is a Suicide Mission" and how does she react to it?
3. What language does Malu speak during his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter and how does this affect the conversation?
4. By what name does Malu refer to Jane and why?
5. What role does Wang-mu adopt when visiting Aimaina Hikari and why?
6. As the ansibles and entire networks go offline, how is Jane affected and how does she respond?
7. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
8. What does Peter tell Wang-mu to do while they are quarreling aboard the faster-than-light ship, and how does she respond?
9. How was Peter called into being and why does this cause problems?
10. Describe the events surrounding Ender's collapse in the Filho's courtyard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Novinha remarks that Val "spins a pretty story" and Val answers, "all stories are fictions. What matters is which fiction you believe." Write an essay exploring the significance of such a quote in a fictional story. What do you think this quote says about the art of fiction?
Essay Topic 2
When Miro first visits the Hive Queen, she does not want to help them find a way to put Jane's aiua into Val's body. However, she is later convinced. Explore this and other episodes where characters are forced or encouraged to change their mind in the book. What significance do you think changing one's mind plays in character development in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the different characters responses to the message to stop the detonation of the M.D. device. Consider why each character reacts in the way that they do and why there is such a contrast between the responses.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)