|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what excuse does she give for not being able to see him?
2. Who does Wang-mu become aware of standing beside her and holding her hand as Jane dies?
3. What religious movement is thriving on Pacifica?
4. What happens when Hikari asks his computer for information on Wang-mu and Peter?
5. What religious order does Novinha, Ender's wife, enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the ansibles and entire networks go offline, how is Jane affected and how does she respond?
2. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
3. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
4. Who claims that "life is a suicide mission," and why?
5. Who was Novinha's rival, and how is Novinha asked to help this rival?
6. By what name does Malu refer to Jane and why?
7. Describe Miro and Young Val's arrival at the Hive and what they encounter in the passages on the way to see the Hive Queen.
8. Why does Novinha accuse Plikt of acting like a cannibal, and how does Plikt respond to her?
9. Describe the Hive Queen's and Human's discussion about finding a way to help Jane transfer to a body.
10. What does the Hive Queen suggest about the mission that Jane is sending Miro and Young Val on and how does Miro confront Jane about this issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much attention given in the novel to the settling in of Wang-mu and Peter to their new place on Divine Wood. Write an essay exploring the importance of this "settling in" in a novel where a premium is placed on travel.
Essay Topic 2
In "Am I Betraying Ender," Jane and Miro question whether they are betraying Ender in their happiness. Write an essay exploring how the theme of betrayal or suspected betrayal comes into play in this and other scenes in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how the themes of benevolence and survival play out against each other in the search for a new home for Jane's aiua throughout the novel.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)