|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what character of popular children's literature does Young Val compare herself?
2. Which of the following is not true about Marcao?
3. How does the Hive Queen warn Miro and Val that she does not want to help them while they are on the way to see her?
4. What is the name of Ender's debilitated stepson?
5. Why is combining the memories of Jane and Young Val possibly dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aboard Milo's starship, how does Quara act toward everyone and specifically towards Jane?
2. As Jane enters Young Val's body, what happens?
3. When Jane moves the starship for the first time after making her way back onto the computer network, how do Peter and Wang-mu both respond?
4. What happens as Jane begins attempting to let go off the ansible lines?
5. Describe Malu's entrance for his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter.
6. Describe what Jane says after she tells Miro that he reminds her of Ender.
7. Why are Peter and Wang-mu invited to a university on Pacifica and who accompanies them?
8. Describe Jane's exploration of the networks among the Hive Queens.
9. Why does Miro tell Young Val that she is selfish and how does he feel afterward?
10. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
Essay Topic 1
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In "Am I Betraying Ender," Jane and Miro question whether they are betraying Ender in their happiness. Write an essay exploring how the theme of betrayal or suspected betrayal comes into play in this and other scenes in the novel.
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)