|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what character of popular children's literature does Young Val compare herself?
2. What religious order does Novinha, Ender's wife, enter?
3. How does Malu arrive for his first meeting with Peter and Wang-mu?
4. What religious movement is thriving on Pacifica?
5. What happens at the end of the "You Don't Believe in God" chapter when Ender and Novinha reunite in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miro and Young Val's arrival at the Hive and what they encounter in the passages on the way to see the Hive Queen.
2. What work have Miro and Young Valentine been engaged in since shortly after working out the logistics of faster than light travel and how quickly are they able to complete this work?
3. Describe the game that goes on as Peter and Wang-mu arrive at Hikara's place.
4. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
5. Describe the events surrounding Ender's collapse in the Filho's courtyard.
6. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
7. As the ansibles and entire networks go offline, how is Jane affected and how does she respond?
8. How does Old Val compliment Miro to Young Val and why?
9. At the beginning of the novel, what does Jane do while Miro and Young Valentine scout for new habitable planets? What will happen after Jane is finished with her task?
10. Describe the conversation when Miro goes to speak to Ender.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At the university, Malu calls out, "The god has moved her starship!" Peter is triumphant and Wang-mu realizes how dismal life would have been for him were he restricted to a single planet. Write an essay exploring the idea of restrictions and freedom in the novel and the role they play in each of the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how the themes of benevolence and survival play out against each other in the search for a new home for Jane's aiua throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)