|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Human and the Hive Queen create the largest philotic web ever and cannot locate Jane, what solution do they propose to retrieve her aiua?
2. How does the Hive Queen suggest that she and Human help Ender?
3. Who does Grace identify as Wang-mu's rival for Peter's love at Jane's deathbed?
4. Who is Pipo?
5. What does the ship Peter and Wang-mu use to fly to Divine Wood look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. By what name does Malu refer to Jane and why?
2. Why does Grace's husband laugh when Peter asks if he and Wang-mu can go see Malu and to what does he compare Peter's request?
3. Describe Miro and Young Val's arrival at the Hive and what they encounter in the passages on the way to see the Hive Queen.
4. What language does Malu speak during his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter and how does this affect the conversation?
5. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
6. Why do Peter and Wang-mu not have to learn a new language on Divine Wood and what language is spoken?
7. As the ansibles and entire networks go offline, how is Jane affected and how does she respond?
8. Why does Novinha accuse Plikt of acting like a cannibal, and how does Plikt respond to her?
9. What does the Hive Queen suggest about the mission that Jane is sending Miro and Young Val on and how does Miro confront Jane about this issue?
10. How does Ender's attention affect Val in "Life is a Suicide Mission" and how does she react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much attention given to the reconciliation of Ender and his wife. How is this reconciliation important to the plot and character development in the novel? Write an essay describing the influence and importance of this reconciliation.
Essay Topic 2
Quara falsely claims that her brother Quim, whom everyone idolizes, secretly molested her for many years, making her into the angry person she is today. Write an essay describing the environment around and the reactions to Quara's false disclosure. What does this lie say about her character? Do you think this affects her ability to be a likable character? Why or why not? Why do you think Card made the decision to have Quara lie to Wang-mu about this molestation?
Essay Topic 3
In "Am I Betraying Ender," Jane and Miro question whether they are betraying Ender in their happiness. Write an essay exploring how the theme of betrayal or suspected betrayal comes into play in this and other scenes in the novel.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)