|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Ender when he left Earth?
2. What religious movement is thriving on Pacifica?
3. Why does Hikari pour his own servant tea?
4. What religious order does Novinha, Ender's wife, enter?
5. What is the common language on Divine Wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. By what name does Malu refer to Jane and why?
2. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
3. Why do Peter and Wang-mu not have to learn a new language on Divine Wood and what language is spoken?
4. What language does Malu speak during his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter and how does this affect the conversation?
5. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what pretense does she give for not seeing him and how does he overcome her excuse?
6. How do Human and the Hive Queen try to capture Jane's aiua, and what conclusion do they come to when they are unsuccessful?
7. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
8. How does Old Val compliment Miro to Young Val and why?
9. Who does Malu think is a better host for Jane's aiua and why?
10. After losing many other men, for what does Novinha tell Ender she will hold him personally responsible and how can Ender avoid this responsibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Malu makes a joke, saying he cannot determine whether the fact that Jane inhabited Peter makes him holy or the fact that she left him makes Peter unholy. Write an essay arguing one side of Malu's point, providing clear evidence and examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
When Peter and Wang-mu meet Malu, they discuss whether Peter or Val is a more suitable host for Jane. Write an essay exploring the process that went into the choice for Jane's host body. What factors had to be considered? How did the transfer eventually take place?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)