|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many planets are Miro and Young Val able to visit on the quest that Jane sends them?
2. Who controls the flight of the spaceship in Chapter 1?
3. What is causing Young Val to fade away?
4. When Ender tries to reconcile with his wife on Lusitania, what excuse does she give for not being able to see him?
5. How are Miro and Young Val's work styles different when they are on the quest that Jane sends them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Hive Queen suggest about the mission that Jane is sending Miro and Young Val on and how does Miro confront Jane about this issue?
2. What role does Wang-mu adopt when visiting Aimaina Hikari and why?
3. Describe the conversation between Old Val and Young Val about the nature of Young Val's existence.
4. Describe the conversation when Miro goes to speak to Ender.
5. Describe the Hive Queen's and Human's discussion about finding a way to help Jane transfer to a body.
6. How does Miro convince Young Val to see the Hive Queen at the beginning of "Nobody is Rational"?
7. Who was Novinha's rival, and how is Novinha asked to help this rival?
8. How does Ender's attention affect Val in "Life is a Suicide Mission" and how does she react to it?
9. How was Peter called into being and why does this cause problems?
10. Describe Wang-mu and Peter's initial time settling into their apartment on Divine Wood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many examples of forgiveness in the novel. For example, early in the novel, Novinha forgives Ender for the death of her son, Quim. Write an essay exploring the many acts of forgiveness in the novel and explaining how forgiveness serves as an underlying theme.
Essay Topic 2
The Hive Queen confesses a little jealousy that Jane knows Human in a way that she never can. Human answers that it is not necessarily bad because they are still able to surprise each other. The Hive Queen answers, "till death ends all surprises." What role do you think the idea that "death ends all surprises" has in the novel? Write an essay exploring the significance of this quote in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
There is much attention given in the novel to the settling in of Wang-mu and Peter to their new place on Divine Wood. Write an essay exploring the importance of this "settling in" in a novel where a premium is placed on travel.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)