|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Novinha do immediately after Ender collapses in "Nobody is Rational"?
2. What do Malu's followers do after Malu leaves his first visit with Peter and Wang-mu?
3. Why does Jane send Miro and Young Val to different planets?
4. What is causing Young Val to fade away?
5. What does Wang-mu catch in her hands upon her and Peter's arrival on Divine Wind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Malu's entrance for his meeting with Wang-mu and Peter.
2. Describe the conversation when Miro goes to speak to Ender.
3. What does Wang-mu first do when she and Peter land on Divine Wood and why?
4. What reason does Ender give Novinha for reconciling with him and how does she refute his argument?
5. How do Human and the Hive Queen try to capture Jane's aiua, and what conclusion do they come to when they are unsuccessful?
6. How was Peter called into being and why does this cause problems?
7. Why do Peter and Wang-mu not have to learn a new language on Divine Wood and what language is spoken?
8. Describe the events surrounding Ender's collapse in the Filho's courtyard.
9. Describe the Hive Queen's and Human's discussion about finding a way to help Jane transfer to a body.
10. Describe the conversation between Old Val and Young Val about the nature of Young Val's existence.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The faster-than-light ship is described early on in the novel in a fair amount of detail. What other modes of transportation are used in the novel? Write an essay comparing and contrasting the various methods of travel in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Quara falsely claims that her brother Quim, whom everyone idolizes, secretly molested her for many years, making her into the angry person she is today. Write an essay describing the environment around and the reactions to Quara's false disclosure. What does this lie say about her character? Do you think this affects her ability to be a likable character? Why or why not? Why do you think Card made the decision to have Quara lie to Wang-mu about this molestation?
Essay Topic 3
Think about how Plikt serves as Speaker for the Dead to Ender. He has previously performed this role for others. Research Ender's actions as Speaker for the Dead in Orson Scott Card's book of the same name. Then, write a paper comparing and contrasting Plikt and Ender's interpretation and actions in this role.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)