|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Leo Hart gone to recover after his military service?
2. In what year did Leo Hart meet with the teachers he had hired and the kids who would be the first students at the new Weedpatch School?
3. What book was banned from Kern County, California, in Chapter Five: Mr. Hart?
4. The hot summer before the school was to open, the Okie kids spent morning to night where?
5. What did Doyle Powers make on his math test in order to get a special reward in Chapter Eight: Our School?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are examples of the generosity of the administration and faculty at the Weedpatch School?
2. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
3. What were the buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
4. How did Leo Hart come to meet the children of the Weedpatch Camp? What did he learn from them?
5. What incidents of vandalism thwarted the Weedpatch School?
6. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
7. What did the Weedpatch School look like after one year? How much did the student body grow?
8. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
9. What made progress slow with the Okie children of the Weedpatch School? How did the teachers cope?
10. What had led to Leo Hart's obtaining an education degree? How was he injured from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Leo Hart's establishment of the Weedpatch School. What legal matters did Hart have to attend in order to make Weedpatch a possibility? Who did he turn to for help?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the economic impact of the Dust Bowl on America. How was agriculture affected by the loss of farmland in the Midwest? How did farmers survive?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of prejudice and how it affected the mentality of the Okie people. What other groups have been oppressed in the United States? What impact did each occurrence have on the greater population?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)