|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did vandals do to the original buildings at the Weedpatch School?
2. Who cooked the school lunches in the new cafeteria at the Weedpatch School?
3. The Weedpatch School was located just south of what California city?
4. How did Okie parents feel about the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School?
5. What type of airplane did the Weedpatch School have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who headed a mob which attacked the Weedpatch Camp in Chapter 5: Mr. Hart? Why?
2. How did Leo Hart go about helping the Okie children? What office did he run for?
3. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
4. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
5. What practical skills were taught alongside traditional academia to the children at the Weedpatch School?
6. How many children initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School? Who did Hart seek to teach there?
7. Where did Leo Hart obtain land for the Weedpatch School? How much did it cost?
8. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
9. What were the buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
10. What challenges did the Okie children of the Weedpatch School face in their education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the lives of the Okies in the Okievilles versus their situation in the Weedpatch and other federally funded camps. How much did it cost a family to stay at a migrant camp? What was life on the camp like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Okies' crossing of the Black Mountains and the Mojave Desert. What dangers did the Okies face crossing these regions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the economic impact of the Dust Bowl on America. How was agriculture affected by the loss of farmland in the Midwest? How did farmers survive?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)