|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Doyle Powers make on his math test in order to get a special reward in Chapter Eight: Our School?
2. Who, in addition to teaching English, would teach plumbing, electric wiring, sports and aircraft mechanics at the Weedpatch School?
3. The Weedpatch School's population grew to how many students several years after its establishment?
4. What was the name of the principal of the Weedpatch School?
5. What kind of school was Mr. Hart permitted to build for the Okie children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Leo Hart obtain land for the Weedpatch School? How much did it cost?
2. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
3. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
4. What did the Okie parents think of the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School? Why?
5. What had led to Leo Hart's obtaining an education degree? How was he injured from the war?
6. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
7. What challenges did the Okie children of the Weedpatch School face in their education?
8. Who headed a mob which attacked the Weedpatch Camp in Chapter 5: Mr. Hart? Why?
9. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
10. How many children initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School? Who did Hart seek to teach there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Okies' crossing of the Black Mountains and the Mojave Desert. What dangers did the Okies face crossing these regions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Mother Road, and the hazards that the Okie families faced during this route. What protection did the Okies have from climate elements? What floods were encountered along the way?
Essay Topic 3
How was discrimination against Okie children more difficult than against their parents? What stereotypes followed the Okies? How were they segregated from the greater community?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)