|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who headed the mob which burned down an Okie migrant camp near the Kern River in Chapter Five: Mr. Hart?
2. Who taught History and Math at the Weedpatch School?
3. Who bought an airplane from a military surplus facility for the Weedpatch School?
4. What book was banned from Kern County, California, in Chapter Five: Mr. Hart?
5. Incidents of vandalism against the Okies' school included what dead animals left where the kids would find them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenges did the Okie children of the Weedpatch School face in their education?
2. What are examples of the generosity of the administration and faculty at the Weedpatch School?
3. What were the buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
4. What did the Okie parents think of the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School? Why?
5. How many children initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School? Who did Hart seek to teach there?
6. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
7. What had led to Leo Hart's obtaining an education degree? How was he injured from the war?
8. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
9. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
10. What incidents of vandalism thwarted the Weedpatch School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rising hostility toward the Okies of Kern County following Leo Hart's appointment as superintendent. What were "Burn Brigades" and how were they organized?
Essay Topic 2
How many farmers lost their land between 1935 and 1940? How many families left the Dust Bowl during this period? Where did they go?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dewey Russell and his involvement in the Weedpatch School. How did Russell become friends with John Steinbeck? How had the friendship influenced Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)