|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the mobs referred to as which attempted to scare away the Okies after Mr. Hart's election?
2. Who was the leader of his fellow students when three carloads of local high school boys drove onto the Weedpatch School grounds, harassing and threatening the Okie students?
3. What office did Leo Hart decide to run for in Chapter Five: Mr. Hart?
4. What did Leo Hart study in college after his military service?
5. What was the name of Leo Hart's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
2. What practical skills were taught alongside traditional academia to the children at the Weedpatch School?
3. How many children initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School? Who did Hart seek to teach there?
4. What did the Weedpatch School look like after one year? How much did the student body grow?
5. What made progress slow with the Okie children of the Weedpatch School? How did the teachers cope?
6. When did Leo Hart first meet with the students and teachers of the Weedpatch School? Where?
7. How did Leo Hart go about helping the Okie children? What office did he run for?
8. What did the Okie parents think of the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School? Why?
9. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
10. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the idealism the Okies felt toward California reflects similar images that immigrants see America as today. How does this idealistic image evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of the excess of farm workers arriving in California during the period. How were farm wages affected? How was the national economy impacted?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the disease and health problems which the Okies suffered following their migration west. What food did the Okies survive on? How did this cause health issues?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)