|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cooked the school lunches in the new cafeteria at the Weedpatch School?
2. What reason did Mr. Hart cite for removing the Okie children from the public schools?
3. What was the name of the principal of the Weedpatch School?
4. Incidents of vandalism against the Okies' school included what dead animals left where the kids would find them?
5. What was the name of Leo Hart's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
2. What did the Okie parents think of the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School? Why?
3. Where did Leo Hart obtain land for the Weedpatch School? How much did it cost?
4. How did Leo Hart go about helping the Okie children? What office did he run for?
5. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
6. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
7. What were some of the obstacles facing Leo Hart in his attempts to help the Okie children?
8. What incidents of vandalism thwarted the Weedpatch School?
9. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
10. What had led to Leo Hart's obtaining an education degree? How was he injured from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Leo Hart's establishment of the Weedpatch School. What legal matters did Hart have to attend in order to make Weedpatch a possibility? Who did he turn to for help?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the figure of Leo Hart, including childhood, education, war service, injury, marriage, children, and career. How did Hart come to meet the Okies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the idealism the Okies felt toward California reflects similar images that immigrants see America as today. How does this idealistic image evolve?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)