|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in addition to teaching English, would teach plumbing, electric wiring, sports and aircraft mechanics at the Weedpatch School?
2. The kids with what percentage or better averages were occasionally taken on field trips organized by their teachers?
3. The two dilapidated buildings on the land where the Weedpatch School was to be built were formerly what?
4. The manager of the Weedpatch Camp was good friends with what author?
5. How did Okie parents feel about the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are examples of the generosity of the administration and faculty at the Weedpatch School?
2. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
3. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
4. What challenges did the Okie children of the Weedpatch School face in their education?
5. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
6. Who headed a mob which attacked the Weedpatch Camp in Chapter 5: Mr. Hart? Why?
7. What incidents of vandalism thwarted the Weedpatch School?
8. What nontraditional responsibilities were the children of the Weedpatch School given?
9. What had led to Leo Hart's obtaining an education degree? How was he injured from the war?
10. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effects of the Great Depression on the farmers of the Oklahoma Panhandle. What impact did banking and stocks have on the farmers?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the geographical region of the Oklahoma Panhandle. Where is it centered and what states are included in the region? What is the climate like?
Essay Topic 3
How was discrimination against Okie children more difficult than against their parents? What stereotypes followed the Okies? How were they segregated from the greater community?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)