|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By May, 1941, the students at the Weedpatch School were separated into how many main groups?
2. The kids with what percentage or better averages were occasionally taken on field trips organized by their teachers?
3. In what year did Leo Hart meet with the teachers he had hired and the kids who would be the first students at the new Weedpatch School?
4. How did Okie parents feel about the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School?
5. What were the mobs referred to as which attempted to scare away the Okies after Mr. Hart's election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the obstacles facing Leo Hart in his attempts to help the Okie children?
2. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
3. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
4. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
5. When did Leo Hart first meet with the students and teachers of the Weedpatch School? Where?
6. What were the buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
7. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
8. What incidents of vandalism thwarted the Weedpatch School?
9. What had led to Leo Hart's obtaining an education degree? How was he injured from the war?
10. How did Leo Hart go about helping the Okie children? What office did he run for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of prejudice and how it affected the mentality of the Okie people. What other groups have been oppressed in the United States? What impact did each occurrence have on the greater population?
Essay Topic 2
What does Jerry Stanley mean by "dry farmers" when he describes the farmers of the Oklahoma Panhandle? How did the farmers survive?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Mother Road, and the hazards that the Okie families faced during this route. What protection did the Okies have from climate elements? What floods were encountered along the way?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)