|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Leo Hart study in college after his military service?
2. What reason did Mr. Hart cite for removing the Okie children from the public schools?
3. Hart secured enough what to build a new school building in Chapter Six: Weedpatch School?
4. Who helped Leo Hart build the Weedpatch School, piece by piece?
5. On the first day of work on the Weedpatch School, the kids built what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
2. What did the Weedpatch School look like after one year? How much did the student body grow?
3. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
4. How did Leo Hart come to meet the children of the Weedpatch Camp? What did he learn from them?
5. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
6. What challenges did the Okie children of the Weedpatch School face in their education?
7. What are examples of the generosity of the administration and faculty at the Weedpatch School?
8. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
9. Who headed a mob which attacked the Weedpatch Camp in Chapter 5: Mr. Hart? Why?
10. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the economic impact of the Dust Bowl on America. How was agriculture affected by the loss of farmland in the Midwest? How did farmers survive?
Essay Topic 2
How was discrimination against Okie children more difficult than against their parents? What stereotypes followed the Okies? How were they segregated from the greater community?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the lives of the Okies in the Okievilles versus their situation in the Weedpatch and other federally funded camps. How much did it cost a family to stay at a migrant camp? What was life on the camp like?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)