|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the airplane cost which was bought and donated to the Weedpatch School?
2. The kids at the Weedpatch School were given what responsibility?
3. By when after the opening of the Weedpatch School had the kids helped to till the field next to the school?
4. Who was the leader of his fellow students when three carloads of local high school boys drove onto the Weedpatch School grounds, harassing and threatening the Okie students?
5. In what war had Leo Hart recently served upon meeting the Okie children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made progress slow with the Okie children of the Weedpatch School? How did the teachers cope?
2. Who headed a mob which attacked the Weedpatch Camp in Chapter 5: Mr. Hart? Why?
3. What nontraditional responsibilities were the children of the Weedpatch School given?
4. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
5. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
6. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
7. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
8. What challenges did the Okie children of the Weedpatch School face in their education?
9. What did the Okie parents think of the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School? Why?
10. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the idealism the Okies felt toward California reflects similar images that immigrants see America as today. How does this idealistic image evolve?
Essay Topic 2
How many farmers lost their land between 1935 and 1940? How many families left the Dust Bowl during this period? Where did they go?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the federal programs installed during Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency in hopes of reestablishing the economy after the Great Depression. What programs were instilled to assist the migrant Okie population?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)