|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of airplane did the Weedpatch School have?
2. One obstacle facing Mr. Hart was the fact that many of the Okie children were what?
3. What was the name of the principal of the Weedpatch School?
4. How many children were initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School?
5. How did Okie parents feel about the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who headed a mob which attacked the Weedpatch Camp in Chapter 5: Mr. Hart? Why?
2. What had led to Leo Hart's obtaining an education degree? How was he injured from the war?
3. What nontraditional responsibilities were the children of the Weedpatch School given?
4. What incidents of vandalism thwarted the Weedpatch School?
5. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
6. How many children initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School? Who did Hart seek to teach there?
7. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
8. What did the Weedpatch School look like after one year? How much did the student body grow?
9. How did Leo Hart come to meet the children of the Weedpatch Camp? What did he learn from them?
10. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rising hostility toward the Okies of Kern County following Leo Hart's appointment as superintendent. What were "Burn Brigades" and how were they organized?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the region of the Tehachapi Mountains and the San Joaquin Valley. What cities did the Okies head to once arriving in California? What did they find there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of prejudice and how it affected the mentality of the Okie people. What other groups have been oppressed in the United States? What impact did each occurrence have on the greater population?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)