|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Hart determined that Okie children were essentially what?
2. How much did the airplane cost which was bought and donated to the Weedpatch School?
3. What reason did Mr. Hart cite for removing the Okie children from the public schools?
4. What was the official name of the Weedpatch School?
5. When the Weedpatch School made money on its potato crop, some of the money was used to take over one hundred students where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leo Hart go about helping the Okie children? What office did he run for?
2. What practical skills were taught alongside traditional academia to the children at the Weedpatch School?
3. How did Leo Hart come to meet the children of the Weedpatch Camp? What did he learn from them?
4. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
5. What are examples of the generosity of the administration and faculty at the Weedpatch School?
6. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
7. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
8. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
9. Where did Leo Hart obtain land for the Weedpatch School? How much did it cost?
10. What nontraditional responsibilities were the children of the Weedpatch School given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Jerry Stanley mean by "dry farmers" when he describes the farmers of the Oklahoma Panhandle? How did the farmers survive?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Leo Hart's establishment of the Weedpatch School. What legal matters did Hart have to attend in order to make Weedpatch a possibility? Who did he turn to for help?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the economic impact of the Dust Bowl on America. How was agriculture affected by the loss of farmland in the Midwest? How did farmers survive?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)