|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Hart leased the land next to the Weedpatch Camp for how much money?
2. Who, in addition to teaching English, would teach plumbing, electric wiring, sports and aircraft mechanics at the Weedpatch School?
3. What were the mobs referred to as which attempted to scare away the Okies after Mr. Hart's election?
4. Many items for the Weedpatch School were donated by whom?
5. The new building of the Weedpatch School contained classrooms and what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the idealism the Okies felt toward California reflects similar images that immigrants see America as today. How does this idealistic image evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the region of the Tehachapi Mountains and the San Joaquin Valley. What cities did the Okies head to once arriving in California? What did they find there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Mother Road, and the hazards that the Okie families faced during this route. What protection did the Okies have from climate elements? What floods were encountered along the way?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)