|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what branch of the military had Leo Hart been a member?
2. The kids at the Weedpatch School were given what responsibility?
3. What was the name of the principal of the Weedpatch School?
4. In what war had Leo Hart recently served upon meeting the Okie children?
5. Who bought an airplane from a military surplus facility for the Weedpatch School?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nontraditional responsibilities were the children of the Weedpatch School given?
2. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
3. Where did Leo Hart obtain land for the Weedpatch School? How much did it cost?
4. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
5. What did the Okie parents think of the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School? Why?
6. What made progress slow with the Okie children of the Weedpatch School? How did the teachers cope?
7. What are examples of the generosity of the administration and faculty at the Weedpatch School?
8. How did Leo Hart go about helping the Okie children? What office did he run for?
9. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
10. How many children initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School? Who did Hart seek to teach there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dewey Russell and his involvement in the Weedpatch School. How did Russell become friends with John Steinbeck? How had the friendship influenced Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effects of the Great Depression on the farmers of the Oklahoma Panhandle. What impact did banking and stocks have on the farmers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of prejudice and how it affected the mentality of the Okie people. What other groups have been oppressed in the United States? What impact did each occurrence have on the greater population?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)