|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did vandals do to the original buildings at the Weedpatch School?
2. What did Mr. Hart buy and donate to the school to help out?
3. Whose hog placed third in the county fair in Chapter Eight: Our School?
4. What type of airplane did the Weedpatch School have?
5. Who bought an airplane from a military surplus facility for the Weedpatch School?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
2. What nontraditional responsibilities were the children of the Weedpatch School given?
3. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
4. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
5. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
6. What made progress slow with the Okie children of the Weedpatch School? How did the teachers cope?
7. When did Leo Hart first meet with the students and teachers of the Weedpatch School? Where?
8. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
9. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
10. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the disease and health problems which the Okies suffered following their migration west. What food did the Okies survive on? How did this cause health issues?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Okies' crossing of the Black Mountains and the Mojave Desert. What dangers did the Okies face crossing these regions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the prejudice and segregation faced by the Okies in California. What was the reaction of the local communities to the influx of Okies in the region? Why?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)