|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children were initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School?
2. By May, 1941, the student body population at the Weedpatch School had increased to nearly how many students?
3. How long did the new building at the Weedpatch School take to build?
4. Who was the leader of his fellow students when three carloads of local high school boys drove onto the Weedpatch School grounds, harassing and threatening the Okie students?
5. What was the President of the School Board's reaction when Hart informed him he was removing the Okie children from the public schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
2. What were the buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
3. How did Leo Hart go about helping the Okie children? What office did he run for?
4. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
5. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
6. What did the Weedpatch School look like after one year? How much did the student body grow?
7. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
8. What challenges did the Okie children of the Weedpatch School face in their education?
9. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
10. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rising hostility toward the Okies of Kern County following Leo Hart's appointment as superintendent. What were "Burn Brigades" and how were they organized?
Essay Topic 2
What does Jerry Stanley mean by "dry farmers" when he describes the farmers of the Oklahoma Panhandle? How did the farmers survive?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the region of the Tehachapi Mountains and the San Joaquin Valley. What cities did the Okies head to once arriving in California? What did they find there?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)