|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the new building at the Weedpatch School take to build?
2. Where did Leo Hart enroll in college after his military service?
3. What disease had Leo Hart contracted during his military service?
4. By May, 1941, the student body population at the Weedpatch School had increased to nearly how many students?
5. What were the federal buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
2. How did Leo Hart come to meet the children of the Weedpatch Camp? What did he learn from them?
3. How many children initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School? Who did Hart seek to teach there?
4. What made progress slow with the Okie children of the Weedpatch School? How did the teachers cope?
5. What incidents of vandalism thwarted the Weedpatch School?
6. How did Leo Hart go about helping the Okie children? What office did he run for?
7. Where did Leo Hart obtain land for the Weedpatch School? How much did it cost?
8. Who headed a mob which attacked the Weedpatch Camp in Chapter 5: Mr. Hart? Why?
9. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
10. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the economic impact of the Dust Bowl on America. How was agriculture affected by the loss of farmland in the Midwest? How did farmers survive?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the geographical region of the Oklahoma Panhandle. Where is it centered and what states are included in the region? What is the climate like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of prejudice and how it affected the mentality of the Okie people. What other groups have been oppressed in the United States? What impact did each occurrence have on the greater population?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)