|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By May, 1941, the student body population at the Weedpatch School had increased to nearly how many students?
2. What office did Leo Hart decide to run for in Chapter Five: Mr. Hart?
3. How much did the airplane cost which was bought and donated to the Weedpatch School?
4. What did Mr. Hart buy and donate to the school to help out?
5. Who headed the mob which burned down an Okie migrant camp near the Kern River in Chapter Five: Mr. Hart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
2. What were some of the obstacles facing Leo Hart in his attempts to help the Okie children?
3. What were the buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
4. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
5. What challenges did the Okie children of the Weedpatch School face in their education?
6. What had led to Leo Hart's obtaining an education degree? How was he injured from the war?
7. How did Leo Hart come to meet the children of the Weedpatch Camp? What did he learn from them?
8. What did the Okie parents think of the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School? Why?
9. What practical skills were taught alongside traditional academia to the children at the Weedpatch School?
10. What incidents of vandalism thwarted the Weedpatch School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the region of the Tehachapi Mountains and the San Joaquin Valley. What cities did the Okies head to once arriving in California? What did they find there?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the lives of the Okies in the Okievilles versus their situation in the Weedpatch and other federally funded camps. How much did it cost a family to stay at a migrant camp? What was life on the camp like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the geographical region of the Oklahoma Panhandle. Where is it centered and what states are included in the region? What is the climate like?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)