|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hart secured enough what to build a new school building in Chapter Six: Weedpatch School?
2. How many children were initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School?
3. Progress at the Weedpatch School was slow and sporadic because many of the children had little or no what?
4. Of what branch of the military had Leo Hart been a member?
5. The kids with what percentage or better averages were occasionally taken on field trips organized by their teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Leo Hart obtain land for the Weedpatch School? How much did it cost?
2. What made progress slow with the Okie children of the Weedpatch School? How did the teachers cope?
3. What did the Okie parents think of the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School? Why?
4. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
5. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
6. What nontraditional responsibilities were the children of the Weedpatch School given?
7. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
8. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
9. Who headed a mob which attacked the Weedpatch Camp in Chapter 5: Mr. Hart? Why?
10. What had led to Leo Hart's obtaining an education degree? How was he injured from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the geographical region of the Oklahoma Panhandle. Where is it centered and what states are included in the region? What is the climate like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the economic impact of the Dust Bowl on America. How was agriculture affected by the loss of farmland in the Midwest? How did farmers survive?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dewey Russell and his involvement in the Weedpatch School. How did Russell become friends with John Steinbeck? How had the friendship influenced Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)