|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Leo Hart when he got in the habit of stopping by Weedpatch Camp to play ball with the Okie kids and talk to them?
2. At the Weedpatch School, often kids would miss weeks of school because their parents had what?
3. On the first day of work on the Weedpatch School, the kids built what?
4. What did Doyle Powers make on his math test in order to get a special reward in Chapter Eight: Our School?
5. Who at the Weedpatch School taught the kids shoe cobbling so they could repair their parents' shoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
2. What did the Okie parents think of the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School? Why?
3. What are examples of the generosity of the administration and faculty at the Weedpatch School?
4. What incidents of vandalism thwarted the Weedpatch School?
5. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
6. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
7. What did the Weedpatch School look like after one year? How much did the student body grow?
8. Who taught at the Weedpatch School? What did the instructors teach?
9. How did Leo Hart come to meet the children of the Weedpatch Camp? What did he learn from them?
10. When did Leo Hart first meet with the students and teachers of the Weedpatch School? Where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How many farmers lost their land between 1935 and 1940? How many families left the Dust Bowl during this period? Where did they go?
Essay Topic 2
What does Jerry Stanley mean by "dry farmers" when he describes the farmers of the Oklahoma Panhandle? How did the farmers survive?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the figure of Leo Hart, including childhood, education, war service, injury, marriage, children, and career. How did Hart come to meet the Okies?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)