|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many acres of land next to the Weedpatch Camp was Mr. Hart allowed to lease for his school?
2. Who, in addition to teaching English, would teach plumbing, electric wiring, sports and aircraft mechanics at the Weedpatch School?
3. Where had Leo Hart gone to recover after his military service?
4. What book was banned from Kern County, California, in Chapter Five: Mr. Hart?
5. What was the President of the School Board's reaction when Hart informed him he was removing the Okie children from the public schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
2. How did Leo Hart go about helping the Okie children? What office did he run for?
3. How many children initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School? Who did Hart seek to teach there?
4. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
5. What were some of the obstacles facing Leo Hart in his attempts to help the Okie children?
6. What were the buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
7. What resistance did Hart meet with the Kern County community? What did the citizens think of Mr. Hart?
8. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
9. What practical skills were taught alongside traditional academia to the children at the Weedpatch School?
10. What donations did Leo Hart acquire for the Weedpatch School? From whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was discrimination against Okie children more difficult than against their parents? What stereotypes followed the Okies? How were they segregated from the greater community?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of the excess of farm workers arriving in California during the period. How were farm wages affected? How was the national economy impacted?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the geographical region of the Oklahoma Panhandle. Where is it centered and what states are included in the region? What is the climate like?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)