|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the roads begin climbing into the Black Mountains as the Okies traveled west?
2. By 1940, how many people had moved out of the Plains states due to the Dust Bowl?
3. Where was it rumored among the Okies that grape-pickers were needed when they arrived in California?
4. Today most of Route 66 is what?
5. How many families a week were losing their farms to the banks in the Panhandle in 1932?
Short Essay Questions
1. What costs did the Californians believe the Okies were driving up? What discrimination did the Okies face in the west?
2. How did the Okies travel through the Mojave Desert? Why?
3. Where did the Okies form communities after arriving in California? What did they eat there?
4. How did the arrival of the Okies relate to immigration issues faced by Americans today?
5. When did the great migration west begin? Who traveled this route?
6. Where was the geographical region known as the Dust Bowl? What did the dust do to the farms?
7. Where did the Okie children face some hope in the end of Chapter 4: "Okies, Go Home!"?
8. Where did many families head once they arrived in California? What cities were looking for farmhands?
9. How did the Okies make money while they were traveling west?
10. What did the influx of farm workers do to the agricultural economy when they arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Mother Road, and the hazards that the Okie families faced during this route. What protection did the Okies have from climate elements? What floods were encountered along the way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Okies' crossing of the Black Mountains and the Mojave Desert. What dangers did the Okies face crossing these regions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the region of the Tehachapi Mountains and the San Joaquin Valley. What cities did the Okies head to once arriving in California? What did they find there?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)