|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What division of the Department of Agriculture began the construction of farm-labor camps for the Okies?
2. In what California towns were farmhands needed to harvest potatoes according to rumors after the Okies arrived?
3. What term refers to a small printed notice, advertisement, or announcement, usually for distribution by hand?
4. What term refers to the sharp, nasal tone of the Okie dialect?
5. How many flat tires did the Masters family have in their first 50 miles headed west?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Okies make money while they were traveling west?
2. What did the Oklahoma Panhandle look like by 1936? What change took place at that time?
3. What stereotypes were the Okies identified by? What happened to Okies who tried to defend themselves?
4. What did the Federal Government do to help the Okies? When?
5. Where did the Okie children face some hope in the end of Chapter 4: "Okies, Go Home!"?
6. What made things worse for the Okie farmers in 1931?
7. How did the region of the Dust Bowl change from 1930 to 1940? What hardships did farmers face?
8. How did the Okies travel through the Mojave Desert? Why?
9. What did the Okies believe about California? How did they envision it there?
10. What signs did the Okies begin discovering after their arrival in California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was discrimination against Okie children more difficult than against their parents? What stereotypes followed the Okies? How were they segregated from the greater community?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the lives of the Okies in the Okievilles versus their situation in the Weedpatch and other federally funded camps. How much did it cost a family to stay at a migrant camp? What was life on the camp like?
Essay Topic 3
What does Jerry Stanley mean by "dry farmers" when he describes the farmers of the Oklahoma Panhandle? How did the farmers survive?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)