|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the winds of the Dust Bowl finally subside?
2. Who was President of the United States from 1933 to 1945?
3. The average migrant farmhand during the Dust Bowl period worked how many days per week?
4. Where did Rosalene Long's family get caught in a flood as they headed west?
5. People in California during the Dust Bowl period made the observation that there were more Okies than there were what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What diseases did the Okies suffer from in California? Why?
2. How did the Okies make money while they were traveling west?
3. Where was the geographical region known as the Dust Bowl? What did the dust do to the farms?
4. How were the Okies living in the federal camps treated by the community? Why?
5. How did the arrival of the Okies relate to immigration issues faced by Americans today?
6. What made things worse for the Okie farmers in 1931?
7. Describe the Weedpatch Camp. Where was it located?
8. What signs did the Okies begin discovering after their arrival in California?
9. What physical dangers existed due to the dust storms in the Dust Bowl? What sickness arose?
10. How did the region of the Dust Bowl change from 1930 to 1940? What hardships did farmers face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the lives of the Okies in the Okievilles versus their situation in the Weedpatch and other federally funded camps. How much did it cost a family to stay at a migrant camp? What was life on the camp like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the rising hostility toward the Okies of Kern County following Leo Hart's appointment as superintendent. What were "Burn Brigades" and how were they organized?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Leo Hart's establishment of the Weedpatch School. What legal matters did Hart have to attend in order to make Weedpatch a possibility? Who did he turn to for help?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)