|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What popular Jack Bryant song did the Okie families sing as they made their way west?
2. In 1936, the author writes that it had not rained more than a few drops in the Panhandle in how many years?
3. The average migrant farmhand during the Dust Bowl period worked how many days per week?
4. Where did Rosalene Long's family get caught in a flood as they headed west?
5. Once the Okies started arriving in the California towns, they found notices that there were how many men for every job there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did many families head once they arrived in California? What cities were looking for farmhands?
2. How did the Okies make money while they were traveling west?
3. What did the influx of farm workers do to the agricultural economy when they arrived?
4. Who suffered the most from prejudice among the Okies? Why?
5. How does Jerry Stanley describe the Oklahoma Panhandle farmers of the 1930s?
6. What stereotypes were the Okies identified by? What happened to Okies who tried to defend themselves?
7. What did the Okies believe about California? How did they envision it there?
8. Where did the Okies form communities after arriving in California? What did they eat there?
9. How did the region of the Dust Bowl change from 1930 to 1940? What hardships did farmers face?
10. What costs did the Californians believe the Okies were driving up? What discrimination did the Okies face in the west?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rising hostility toward the Okies of Kern County following Leo Hart's appointment as superintendent. What were "Burn Brigades" and how were they organized?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the geographical region of the Oklahoma Panhandle. Where is it centered and what states are included in the region? What is the climate like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of the excess of farm workers arriving in California during the period. How were farm wages affected? How was the national economy impacted?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)