|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was hired as a music teacher and when he received a check for a year of services, he donated it back to the school?
(a) Fred Smith.
(b) Rose Gilger.
(c) Andrew McWilliams.
(d) Jim McPherson.
2. What were the mobs referred to as which attempted to scare away the Okies after Mr. Hart's election?
(a) Fire Mobs.
(b) Shelley Mobs.
(c) Danger Mobs.
(d) Burn Brigades.
3. Who cooked the school lunches in the new cafeteria at the Weedpatch School?
(a) Edna Hart.
(b) James Skawinski.
(c) Leo Hart.
(d) Edward Ross.
4. What organs had Leo Hart lost to his disease after his military service?
(a) Lung and kidney.
(b) Lung and spleen.
(c) Appendix and spleen.
(d) Spleen and kidney.
5. Where did Leo Hart enroll in college after his military service?
(a) University of New York.
(b) University of Arizona.
(c) University of Arkansas.
(d) University of California.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Weedpatch School made money on its potato crop, some of the money was used to take over one hundred students where?
2. Where had Leo Hart gone to recover after his military service?
3. How did Okie parents feel about the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School?
4. The kids with what percentage or better averages were occasionally taken on field trips organized by their teachers?
5. By May, 1941, the student body population at the Weedpatch School had increased to nearly how many students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the obstacles facing Leo Hart in his attempts to help the Okie children?
2. What did the Weedpatch School look like after one year? How much did the student body grow?
3. What story is related of Joyce Foster at the Weedpatch School?
4. What was the community reaction when Mr. Hart decided to create a school for the Okie children?
5. How did Leo Hart come to meet the children of the Weedpatch Camp? What did he learn from them?
6. What rewards were offered the children at the Weedpatch School who excelled academically?
7. Who built the Weedpatch School? How?
8. What were the buildings renovated into for the Weedpatch School?
9. What challenges did the Okie children of the Weedpatch School face in their education?
10. What nontraditional responsibilities were the children of the Weedpatch School given?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)