|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the County Seat of Texas County and largest city in the Oklahoma Panhandle?
(a) Oklahoma City.
(c) Boise City.
2. What term refers to the sharp, nasal tone of the Okie dialect?
3. How many families a week were losing their farms to the banks in the Panhandle in 1932?
4. To survive the Dust Bowl, many farmers relied on a diet of what and biscuits?
5. In what year did the Department of Agriculture began the construction of farm-labor camps for the Okies?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Horace Ray Conley describe the sky during the dust storms?
2. What town did the Okies first cross through in California?
3. What was the first Texas town recalled by the Okies on their trek west?
4. Frequently the wind in the Dust Bowl blew more than how many miles per hour?
5. Who amongst the Okies suffered the most according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the influx of farm workers do to the agricultural economy when they arrived?
2. Where did the Okies form communities after arriving in California? What did they eat there?
3. How does Jerry Stanley describe the Oklahoma Panhandle farmers of the 1930s?
4. What made things worse for the Okie farmers in 1931?
5. How did the arrival of the Okies relate to immigration issues faced by Americans today?
6. What physical dangers existed due to the dust storms in the Dust Bowl? What sickness arose?
7. How did the region of the Dust Bowl change from 1930 to 1940? What hardships did farmers face?
8. Describe the Weedpatch Camp. Where was it located?
9. Where was the geographical region known as the Dust Bowl? What did the dust do to the farms?
10. How did the Okies of the Dust Bowl know when the storms were coming? What precautions had to be taken?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)