|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1936, the author writes that it had not rained more than a few drops in the Panhandle in how many years?
2. How many flat tires did the Masters family have in their first 50 miles headed west?
3. Where was Horace Ray Conley from?
(a) Prairieville, OK.
(b) Foss, OK.
(c) Oklahoma City, OK.
(d) Tulsa, OK.
4. The great winds of the Dust Bowl began in what year?
5. Who amongst the Okies suffered the most according to the author?
(a) The women.
(b) The men.
(c) The elderly.
(d) The children.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the ideas of the Okies, it was big news in California if someone died before the age of what?
2. The average migrant farmhand during the Dust Bowl period worked how many days per week?
3. People in California during the Dust Bowl period made the observation that there were more Okies than there were what?
4. The average migrant farmhand during the Dust Bowl period earned as little as how much per week?
5. Where did the Okie families most often camp at night on their journey west?
Short Essay Questions
1. What diseases did the Okies suffer from in California? Why?
2. What made things worse for the Okie farmers in 1931?
3. How did the dust get into the houses of the farmers of the Dust Bowl? How did people protect themselves?
4. How did the arrival of the Okies relate to immigration issues faced by Americans today?
5. How did the Okies travel through the Mojave Desert? Why?
6. What stereotypes were the Okies identified by? What happened to Okies who tried to defend themselves?
7. Where did the Okies form communities after arriving in California? What did they eat there?
8. How did the Okies make money while they were traveling west?
9. What were the Okies' impressions of Tehachapi Grade? What was the view looking down?
10. What dangers did the Okies face in the Black Mountains? What followed that?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)