|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many members were in Rosalene Long's family?
2. The excess of farm workers arriving in California in the 1930s was good for the farmers because it did what?
(a) Drove prices up.
(b) Drove wages down.
(c) Drove wages up.
(d) Drove prices down.
3. What was the first Texas town recalled by the Okies on their trek west?
4. How many families a week were losing their farms to the banks in the Panhandle in 1932?
5. To survive the Dust Bowl, many farmers relied on a diet of what and biscuits?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the insults described in the text which were used against Okie children?
2. What town did the Okies first cross through in California?
3. What often raced before the dust storms, warning the Okies they were on their way?
4. What did the headlines scream in California in Chapter Four?
5. Many cruel farmers would pour what on surplus food or burn it rather than give it to the starving Okies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did many families head once they arrived in California? What cities were looking for farmhands?
2. What did the Oklahoma Panhandle look like by 1936? What change took place at that time?
3. What stereotypes were the Okies identified by? What happened to Okies who tried to defend themselves?
4. Where was the geographical region known as the Dust Bowl? What did the dust do to the farms?
5. What did the Federal Government do to help the Okies? When?
6. Where did the Okie families camp on their journey west? What food did they eat?
7. Where did the Okie children face some hope in the end of Chapter 4: "Okies, Go Home!"?
8. How did the Okies of the Dust Bowl know when the storms were coming? What precautions had to be taken?
9. How did the region of the Dust Bowl change from 1930 to 1940? What hardships did farmers face?
10. Where did the Okies form communities after arriving in California? What did they eat there?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)