|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Okie children refer to the dust storms they'd escaped from when telling about them in Chapter Five: Mr. Hart?
(a) Red storms.
(b) Terror winds.
(c) Black clouds.
(d) Awful nights.
2. What did Leo Hart study in college after his military service?
3. What reason did Mr. Hart cite for removing the Okie children from the public schools?
4. How many children were initially enrolled in the Weedpatch School?
5. The kids with what percentage or better averages were occasionally taken on field trips organized by their teachers?
6. Walls at the Weedpatch School would collapse from what?
7. Who headed the mob which burned down an Okie migrant camp near the Kern River in Chapter Five: Mr. Hart?
(a) The principal.
(b) The fire chief.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The mayor.
8. What did Doyle Powers get as a reward for doing well on his math test in Chapter Eight: Our School?
(a) To fly the plane.
(b) To go to the museum.
(c) Money to build a farm.
(d) To taxi the plane.
9. Leo Hart became a school counselor in what county following his education?
(a) Mendocino County.
(b) Sacramento County.
(c) Humboldt County.
(d) Kern County.
10. What organs had Leo Hart lost to his disease after his military service?
(a) Lung and kidney.
(b) Lung and spleen.
(c) Appendix and spleen.
(d) Spleen and kidney.
11. The manager of the Weedpatch Camp was good friends with what author?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) John Steinbeck.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) James Joyce.
12. Progress at the Weedpatch School was slow and sporadic because many of the children had little or no what?
(a) Lunch money.
(b) Tax money.
(c) Formal education.
(d) School supplies.
13. What did Doyle Powers make on his math test in order to get a special reward in Chapter Eight: Our School?
14. How did Okie parents feel about the transformation of their children at the Weedpatch School?
15. What was the name of the principal of the Weedpatch School?
(a) Leo Hart.
(b) Edna Hart.
(c) Joseph Bancroft.
(d) Pete Bancroft.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hot summer before the school was to open, the Okie kids spent morning to night where?
2. Who bought an airplane from a military surplus facility for the Weedpatch School?
3. Hart secured enough what to build a new school building in Chapter Six: Weedpatch School?
4. The field trips and outings offered as rewards for scholastic achievement frequently included going where?
5. In what year did Leo Hart meet with the teachers he had hired and the kids who would be the first students at the new Weedpatch School?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)