|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city in Kern County, California is located 31 miles north-northwest of Bakersfield?
(a) San Francisco, CA.
(b) Eureka, CA.
(c) Sacramento, CA.
(d) Delano, CA.
2. What half of Colorado was a part of the Dust Bowl?
3. How many farm labor camps for the Okies were built by the Department of Agriculture during the Dust Bowl period?
4. People in California during the Dust Bowl period made the observation that there were more Okies than there were what?
(c) White people.
5. What town did the Okies first cross through in California?
6. What often raced before the dust storms, warning the Okies they were on their way?
(a) Birds and horses.
(b) Coyotes and rabbits.
(c) Rabbits and birds.
7. What condition was caused by severe damage to the lungs by the inhalation of dust?
(c) Dust pneumonia.
(d) Red pneumonia.
8. The meals of the Okies as they traveled west consisted mostly of potatoes and what?
9. It was said that the farms in California were needing how many farm laborers during the period of the Dust Bowl?
(d) Hundreds of thousands.
10. What half of Kansas was a part of the Dust Bowl?
11. The trip from the Dust Bowl to California was nearly how many miles?
12. Once the Okies started arriving in the California towns, they found notices that there were how many men for every job there?
13. The starvation diets and unsanitary conditions of the Okie communities led to disease including tuberculosis, pneumonia and what?
14. What is the County Seat of Texas County and largest city in the Oklahoma Panhandle?
(a) Boise City.
(b) Oklahoma City.
15. What is the highest peak of the Tehachapi Mountains?
(a) McKinley Mountain.
(b) Mount Whitney.
(c) Double Mountain.
(d) Mount Lyell.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what California towns were farmhands needed to harvest potatoes according to rumors after the Okies arrived?
2. What is the County Seat of Cimarron County?
3. What is one of the insults described in the text which were used against Okie children?
4. Where was it rumored among the Okies that grape-pickers were needed when they arrived in California?
5. Frequently the wind in the Dust Bowl blew more than how many miles per hour?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)