|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the County Seat of Cimarron County?
(c) Oklahoma City.
(d) Boise City.
2. To survive the Dust Bowl, many farmers relied on a diet of what and biscuits?
3. More than how many Americans were left homeless due to the Dust Bowl?
4. Who established the Soil Erosion Service in August 1933?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) Jimmy Carter.
(c) Harold L. Ickes.
(d) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
5. It was said that the farms in California were needing how many farm laborers during the period of the Dust Bowl?
(c) Hundreds of thousands.
6. What is the highest peak of the Tehachapi Mountains?
(a) Mount Lyell.
(b) Double Mountain.
(c) McKinley Mountain.
(d) Mount Whitney.
7. What condition was caused by severe damage to the lungs by the inhalation of dust?
(c) Dust pneumonia.
(d) Red pneumonia.
8. Where did families often stop to pick cotton along their route west during the Dust Bowl?
(a) New Mexico.
9. The cost of a family to stay at the Weedpatch Camp was how much per week?
10. What is another term which referred to the dust storms during the Dust Bowl?
(a) Black Blizzards.
(b) Red Storms.
(c) Terror Blizzards.
(d) Black Storms.
11. What did the headlines scream in California in Chapter Four?
(a) Okies were invading.
(b) The West was Won.
(c) Okies were diseased.
(d) California was sinking.
12. According to the ideas of the Okies, it was big news in California if someone died before the age of what?
13. Where were Okies allowed to sit in movie theaters during their discrimination in California?
(a) The balcony.
(b) The basement.
(c) The back row.
(d) The front row.
14. Who amongst the Okies suffered the most according to the author?
(a) The children.
(b) The elderly.
(c) The men.
(d) The women.
15. What man gave hope to the suffering Okie children in the end of Chapter Four?
(a) Ronald Reagan.
(b) Harry Truman.
(c) Andrew McCarthy.
(d) Leo Hart.
Short Answer Questions
1. The migrant workers were increasing the state and county costs for what during the Dust Bowl period in California?
2. In what year did the winds of the Dust Bowl finally subside?
3. What word to the Okies represented a magical place with better lives?
4. What would people sleep with on their faces to protect themselves from the dust?
5. The Tehachapi Mountains lead directly into what valley in California?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)