|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote The Grapes of Wrath?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) Alexander Welsh.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
2. Where was help supposedly needed on cotton and vegetable farms in California after the arrival of the Okies?
(a) Wasco and Shafter.
(b) Arvin and Lamont.
(c) Bakersfield and Sonoma.
(d) Sacramento and Arvin.
3. What were the squatter communities of the Okies come to be known as?
4. How many farm labor camps for the Okies were built by the Department of Agriculture during the Dust Bowl period?
5. Frequently the wind in the Dust Bowl blew more than how many miles per hour?
6. The cost of a family to stay at the Weedpatch Camp was how much per week?
7. In what year does the author write it suddenly stopped raining in the Oklahoma Panhandle?
8. Where did the Okie families most often camp at night on their journey west?
(a) By towns.
(b) By streams.
(c) By highways.
(d) By churches.
9. How did Horace Ray Conley describe the sky during the dust storms?
10. What half of Kansas was a part of the Dust Bowl?
11. When there was enough rain, what crops did the Okies in the Panhandle grow?
(a) Corn and wheat.
(b) Cotton and tobacco.
(c) Wheat and rice.
(d) Tomatoes and corn.
12. What was the second northern Texas town passed by the Okies as they headed west?
13. By 1940, how many people had moved out of the Plains states due to the Dust Bowl?
(a) 1 million.
(b) .5 million.
(c) 2.5 million.
(d) 1.5 million.
14. What is one of the insults described in the text which were used against Okie children?
(a) They were Germans.
(b) They were intoxicated.
(c) They were illegal immigrants.
(d) They were sub-human.
15. How old was Rosalene Long when her family left Stuart, Oklahoma?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1935, the federal government formed what service to coordinate relief activities in the Dust Bowl?
2. Many of the squatters in Okie communities lived in shacks made of what?
3. How many flat tires did the Masters family have in their first 50 miles headed west?
4. Some California teachers segregated the Okie children and made them sit where?
5. What was the first Texas town recalled by the Okies on their trek west?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)