|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would people sleep with on their faces to protect themselves from the dust?
(a) Pillow cases.
(b) Face masks.
(d) Wet rags.
2. What was Route 66 referred to by the Okies?
(a) Bear Road.
(b) Mother Road.
(c) Coyote Road.
(d) Devil Road.
3. What is the highest peak of the Tehachapi Mountains?
(a) Mount Lyell.
(b) McKinley Mountain.
(c) Mount Whitney.
(d) Double Mountain.
4. What did the headlines scream in California in Chapter Four?
(a) Okies were invading.
(b) The West was Won.
(c) California was sinking.
(d) Okies were diseased.
5. What was the second northern Texas town passed by the Okies as they headed west?
6. Where was help supposedly needed on cotton and vegetable farms in California after the arrival of the Okies?
(a) Arvin and Lamont.
(b) Wasco and Shafter.
(c) Sacramento and Arvin.
(d) Bakersfield and Sonoma.
7. The cost of a family to stay at the Weedpatch Camp was how much per week?
8. What couple is described as having loaded up their family in Hollis, Oklahoma, in 1938 to head west?
(a) The Masters.
(b) The Rosses.
(c) The Andersons.
(d) The Smiths.
9. By 1940, how many people had moved out of the Plains states due to the Dust Bowl?
(a) .5 million.
(b) 1.5 million.
(c) 2.5 million.
(d) 1 million.
10. What half of Colorado was a part of the Dust Bowl?
11. The average migrant farmhand during the Dust Bowl period worked how many hours a day?
12. Where did families often stop to pick cotton along their route west during the Dust Bowl?
(c) New Mexico.
13. What popular Jack Bryant song did the Okie families sing as they made their way west?
(a) "Westward Ho."
(b) "Sunny Cal."
(c) "Okie Song."
14. When had the Great Depression begun?
15. What is the County Seat of Texas County and largest city in the Oklahoma Panhandle?
(a) Boise City.
(c) Oklahoma City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Okies identified with by stereotype?
2. Californians claimed that the Okies were taking what from them during their influx?
3. Where were Okies allowed to sit in movie theaters during their discrimination in California?
4. Where did the Okie families most often camp at night on their journey west?
5. Many of the squatters in Okie communities lived in shacks made of what?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)