|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three: Dead Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was help supposedly needed on cotton and vegetable farms in California after the arrival of the Okies?
(a) Sacramento and Arvin.
(b) Arvin and Lamont.
(c) Bakersfield and Sonoma.
(d) Wasco and Shafter.
2. What were the squatter communities of the Okies come to be known as?
3. Who wrote The Grapes of Wrath?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Alexander Welsh.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
4. The excess of farm workers arriving in California in the 1930s was good for the farmers because it did what?
(a) Drove prices down.
(b) Drove wages up.
(c) Drove wages down.
(d) Drove prices up.
5. The starvation diets and unsanitary conditions of the Okie communities led to disease including tuberculosis, pneumonia and what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition was caused by severe damage to the lungs by the inhalation of dust?
2. Many cruel farmers would pour what on surplus food or burn it rather than give it to the starving Okies?
3. In what year did the Department of Agriculture began the construction of farm-labor camps for the Okies?
4. The farmers of the 1930s in the Oklahoma Panhandle were referred to as what kind of farmers?
5. How many farm labor camps for the Okies were built by the Department of Agriculture during the Dust Bowl period?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)