|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sofia try to convince the Runa to do?
2. What does Sandoz ask of Cardotti?
3. Upon whom does Supaari blame his problems?
4. On what training does Sofia look back when Supaari is telling her what has happened to the other humans?
5. What forces Emilio to eat and exercise properly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Supaari go to see his mother and what is her response to that visit?
2. What does Sofia do when she locates the Magellan's lander and how do the Runa plan to aid her?
3. How is Emilio studying radio data from Rakhat and what is he doing with his own life?
4. What does the Order do to Emilio about his resignation, what does he suggest to the mission team and what does Danny tell Emilio?
5. What does Emilio say he will do to help the new mission to Rakhat?
6. What does Gina do about Emilio canceling their Fridays together? What is Emilio's response?
7. What does Emilio explain to Celetina and what does he name his new pet?
8. What does Edward Behr remind Emilio of and what does he tell Vincenzo in the prelude?
9. What does Danny say about Emilio's presence on Bruno? What is Emilio's response?
10. What does Vincenzo tell Danny about Emilio and the next Rakhat mission, why is Emilio proving valuable and what does Vincenzo think a trip to Rakhat will do for Emilio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in CHILDREN OF GOD.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of CHILDREN OF GOD. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of CHILDREN OF GOD. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
CHILDREN OF GOD is the sequel to Sparrow.
1. What are two advantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a stand-alone book versus a sequel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Emilio is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible suffering, he has been able to still care about the characters in CHILDREN OF GOD. Discuss the following:
1. Which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Emilio who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)