|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hlavin claim?
2. What does Selikat try to beat out of Hlavin?
3. How does Hlavin shun protocol when at the embassy?
4. Why is all lost for Supaari?
5. Why does Emilio leave Gina's house before dawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sofia do at first when she is stuck on Rakhat, how does that activity change and what happens with Emilio that she doesn't know?
2. What does Edward Behr remind Emilio of and what does he tell Vincenzo in the prelude?
3. What message does Suukmel send to Hlavin?
4. What does Danny say about Emilio's presence on Bruno? What is Emilio's response?
5. Who does Vincenzo bring to Emilio's apartment to visit him, what does he say and what is Emilio's response?
6. Why does Supaari go to see his mother and what is her response to that visit?
7. What does Vincenzo tell Danny about Emilio and the next Rakhat mission, why is Emilio proving valuable and what does Vincenzo think a trip to Rakhat will do for Emilio?
8. How does Hlavin's brothers feel about his singing and what does Hlavin do to his family? What is the result of Hlavin's actions?
9. How is Emilio studying radio data from Rakhat and what is he doing with his own life?
10. What does Sofia do when she locates the Magellan's lander and how do the Runa plan to aid her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of CHILDREN OF GOD, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (Subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Emilio is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Emilio demonstrates his anger and hopelessness. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Emilio 's character flaws, and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Emilio 's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing Emilio 's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Russel is right in selecting Emilio to be the "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might have done a better job?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in CHILDREN OF GOD.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of CHILDREN OF GOD. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of CHILDREN OF GOD. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)