|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carlo do to Gina?
2. What does Hlavin become when he kills his extended family?
3. Why are the Jesuits killed on Rakhat?
4. In whom is Hlavin interested?
5. What does Emilio want to know from Gina about Sofia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes Emilio's financial fortunes and how does he find out about it?
2. How did Emilio come to be on Giordano Bruno and what does Carlo tell him?
3. What does Emilio explain to Celetina and what does he name his new pet?
4. What does Sofia do about her pregnancy on Rakhat?
5. What does Emilio ask Gina about Sofia, what does Gina want him to do about it, what is Emilio's response and what does he want Gina to do?
6. How does Hlavin's brothers feel about his singing and what does Hlavin do to his family? What is the result of Hlavin's actions?
7. What does Sofia do when she locates the Magellan's lander and how do the Runa plan to aid her?
8. How do Hlavin and Ambassador Ma finally come together?
9. What is Supaari's connection to Emilio?
10. What does Sofia do with Magellan and what does she plan to do if it doesn't work out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in CHILDREN OF GOD.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of CHILDREN OF GOD. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of CHILDREN OF GOD. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as CHILDREN OF GOD help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading CHILDREN OF GOD? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in CHILDREN OF GOD to discuss and compare Emilio's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in CHILDREN OF GOD. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with revolution? Why? What are some symbols of revolution? What characters seem to enjoy revolution?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of justice in CHILDREN OF GOD. Is justice served? What do you think would have happened to the Runa if they had not decided to fight for justice?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of Rukhat view family with your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)