|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Supaari VaGayjur told to do?
2. How many others do not survive the journey to Rakhat with Sandoz?
3. How is Carlo controlling Emilio?
4. Who is Vincenzo Giuliani?
5. How many sentient species are there on Rakhat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Supaari's connection to Emilio?
2. In what capacity is John assigned to the Rakhat mission and what does he tell Emilio about the crew?
3. What changes Emilio's financial fortunes and how does he find out about it?
4. How does Hlavin's brothers feel about his singing and what does Hlavin do to his family? What is the result of Hlavin's actions?
5. What does Ljaat-sa Kitheri tell Supaari about his daughter and how does he feel about it?
6. What does Emilio ask Gina about Sofia, what does Gina want him to do about it, what is Emilio's response and what does he want Gina to do?
7. What does Sofia do with Magellan and what does she plan to do if it doesn't work out?
8. What does Supaari do about his daughter when he leaves his mother's house?
9. What does Vincenzo tell Danny about Emilio and the next Rakhat mission, why is Emilio proving valuable and what does Vincenzo think a trip to Rakhat will do for Emilio?
10. Who does Vincenzo bring to Emilio's apartment to visit him, what does he say and what is Emilio's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of Emilio s, much of the setting is not familiar to the reader, and there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world in CHILDREN OF GOD that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in the CHILDREN OF GOD world. Define the words as used in in the CHILDREN OF GOD world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of CHILDREN OF GOD. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in CHILDREN OF GOD? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from CHILDREN OF GOD? Which ones?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in CHILDREN OF GOD. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with revolution? Why? What are some symbols of revolution? What characters seem to enjoy revolution?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of justice in CHILDREN OF GOD. Is justice served? What do you think would have happened to the Runa if they had not decided to fight for justice?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of Rukhat view family with your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in CHILDREN OF GOD. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of genocide in CHILDREN OF GOD. Which characters seem to accept that genocide is sometimes necessary? Why? Which characters seem opposed to genocide no matter what? Why? Which ones seem not to care one way or the other?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. Death happens on a scale that is almost incomprehensible with thousands of sentient beings being wiped out of existence. Does this inure a reader to the impact of death? When death is brought to a more individual level, such as in Rakhat, does it have a greater impact? How do the Jana'ata civilization seem to view death? What about the Runa?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)