|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ghanima blame and want retribution for Leto's death?
2. Who does Leto discover is doing Lady Jessica's bidding by capturing him?
3. What does the rock cropping that is Jacurutu resemble?
4. Who could unite the warring houses?
5. What does Leto tell Paul that brings him to tears?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Halleck discover is truly behind Leto's capture? What does he do as a result?
2. What happens as Leto realizes the mistake he has made in the spice trances? What is the mistake? What does he do?
3. What does Leto allow to cover him in the sand? Why?
4. Why does Ghanima hate Farad'n so much? Are her feelings warranted? Why or why not?
5. What bad news does Alia receive in her temple while it is still thought that Leto is dead and she holds Ghanima captive?
6. What transpires between Idaho and Alia when he returns to her?
7. What plan does Alia propose to Ghanima while holding her captive? What is Ghanima's response? How does Irulan respond to their plan?
8. Jessica and Idaho have a conversation regarding the current circumstances with Farad'n, Arakis, Alia, and Ghanima. They know that their conversation is being overheard. Does this change the things they choose to say to each other? Jessica believes this could be the reason for some of the things Idaho says. He has been aligned with at least two different characters, so who does he truly serve? Is he saying things for Farad'n's benefit, or does he mean the things he says about Jessica and House Atreides?
9. How is it that Sabiha and Leto have both come to be at Shuloch again?
10. How could Ghanima be used to unite the warring Corrino and Atreides Houses? Who would like to see the Houses united?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We discover that Leto and Ghanima, after dangerously inviting their parent persona-memories in, have not only gained valuable information, but have also learned to live in harmony with those inner lives. Why are they able to do this, but Alia is not? Why is Leto able to communicate with his grandfather and father easier than Ghanima? Describe the differences between the three in detail.
Essay Topic 2
There are ecological changes on Arakis that indicate the planet is changing. What changes does the author mention in the beginning of the story during the conversation between Ghanima and Leto? What impact could these changes have on the planet and the people living there? Relate this fictional situation to the current global changes we are experiencing. Are there similarities? What are the differences?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jessica agree to teach Farad'n the ways of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood? Does she have ulterior motives? Does she believe that Farad'n has earned this education? Does she believe he will use the powers for good? Why or Why not? Why does Farad'n want to learn the ways of the Bene Gesserit? How does this education serve both of their interests?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)