|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What planet could spice production be duplicated?
2. Why do people use spice?
3. Where does Leto say he will die?
4. Who are the main characters?
5. What does Jessica see in Alia that confirms she is Abomination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does The Preacher do to anger Farad'n when Farad'n invites The Preacher to his palace? What reasons does he give for not complying with Farad'n's requests? What does he offer as an alternative?
2. What happens to Leto to make him believe the Golden Path is the only way to redeem humanity? What signs does he receive? Where do these signs come from?
3. There is growing tension between the old Fremen way of life and the new progressive Fremen way of life. What are the differences between the two? How has Arakis, and thus the Fremen society changed? What brought about these changes?
4. Why does Alia feel alone? What makes her believe that she has no where to turn but inward? Why does she turn inward?
5. What is the plot to assassinate the twins Ghanima and Leto? How is the plan supposed to work? What is the reason behind the plot?
6. Lady Jessica and her sister Irulan are a part of the Bene Gesserit sisterhood. Who are the Bene Gesserits? What is their goal, and what role do Lady Jessica and Irulan play in that goal?
7. What three paths has Leto seen for himself that he explains to Stilgar? What are the implications of these paths? Where does Leto believe he will die?
8. Is the future as a setting an important part of science fiction as a genre? Could this science fiction novel take place in the past? What aspects of the story would have to be the same in order for it to remain a science fiction novel?
9. Lady Jessica suspects Leto is Abonimation, and demands and explanation from him when he begins discussing the concept of time and the choice he has to make to live and die for his subjects or live for thousands of years. What is Leto's response to Jessica's demand for an explanation?
10. What is the agreement that Alia has with her uncle Baron Harkonnen? Why does she believe she needs his help? Does the Baron have ulterior motives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jessica agree to teach Farad'n the ways of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood? Does she have ulterior motives? Does she believe that Farad'n has earned this education? Does she believe he will use the powers for good? Why or Why not? Why does Farad'n want to learn the ways of the Bene Gesserit? How does this education serve both of their interests?
Essay Topic 2
The rule on Arakis is clearly not a democracy. Research common forms of government around the world - socialism, communism, royalties, dictatorships - which form of rule do you think is in place on Arakis? Who is the highest ruler on Arakis? What trouble does this ruler face? Describe the structure, whether or not it is working, and the pros and cons of this kind of rule in this environment.
Essay Topic 3
Lady Jessica is a devout member of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood, blindly following their instructions. What proof does the author give the reader to support that fact? Provide three examples of her devotion to the Bene Gesserits. How do these examples provide proof of her loyalty?
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)