|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who's dreams does The Preacher hear, but refuse to interpret?
2. What produces spice?
3. Where do Leto and Ghanima go to await the attack they know is coming?
4. What is the plot to kill Ghanima and Leto?
5. What does Jessica use to calm herself before speaking with Ghanima?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the future as a setting an important part of science fiction as a genre? Could this science fiction novel take place in the past? What aspects of the story would have to be the same in order for it to remain a science fiction novel?
2. What is the CHOAM?
3. Lady Jessica suspects Leto is Abonimation, and demands and explanation from him when he begins discussing the concept of time and the choice he has to make to live and die for his subjects or live for thousands of years. What is Leto's response to Jessica's demand for an explanation?
4. Spice is an important theme through out the book. What is spice? How is it produced? What is it used for?
5. What is the agreement that Alia has with her uncle Baron Harkonnen? Why does she believe she needs his help? Does the Baron have ulterior motives?
6. What does Jessica see in Alia that makes her realize, without doubt, that she is Abomination? What does she need to do as a result of seeing this in Alia?
7. Lady Jessica and her sister Irulan are a part of the Bene Gesserit sisterhood. Who are the Bene Gesserits? What is their goal, and what role do Lady Jessica and Irulan play in that goal?
8. What does Idaho deduce about the assassination plot Alia is so concerned about? Who is it really against? How does Idaho believe the attack will happen? What precautions does he suggest? Does Alia listen to him?
9. At the beginning of the story, it is believed that The Preacher could be posing as someone else. Who do the people believe The Preacher may be? Why do people believe he is someone else?
10. What three paths has Leto seen for himself that he explains to Stilgar? What are the implications of these paths? Where does Leto believe he will die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood in the story. Who are they? What do they believe? Why do they play such a central role in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The story holds a tragic ending for Alia. Describe what drives her over the edge and causes her to throw herself from a window. Why does she make this choice? What feelings does the author evoke from the reader for Alia?
Essay Topic 3
Leto faces a much tougher role in carrying out the Golden Path than he first anticipated. He has information that Paul Muad'Dib is still alive. Information he did not share with his sister before they carried out their plan to separate. Why didn't he share this information with her? How does this information change his plans? What does he know needs to be done in order to save humanity? Does he feel he will be remembered as a villain or a hero? Does this factor into his decisions?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)