|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thanthalteresco?
2. What island do George Greggson and Jean Morrel visit?
3. What do the aliens do with Jan Rodricks?
4. What does Jan Rodricks observe that he also saw on the aliens' home planet?
5. What alarms Jan Rodricks when he returns to Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jan Rodricks respond when approaching Earth on his return, and why?
2. What events are foreshadowed when the Inspector shares his report with Karellen after meeting with the New Athens council?
3. Describe Jan Rodricks' activities during his stay on Carina. How does he feel about his visit?
4. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
5. What does Jan Rodricks observe after the Overlords depart and leave him as the last person on Earth, and what does he wonder about the Overlords and his role at the end?
6. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
7. Why do George Greggson and Jean Morrel move to New Athens? Describe their adjustment to their new home.
8. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
9. During the press conference at which Karellen says that Jan Rodricks has stowed away on the Overlords' spaceship, what part of Karellen's nature does he reveal?
10. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George Greggson and Jan Rodricks seem to be kindred spirits. While they are alike in many ways, there are some significant differences, especially in how they respond to the Overlords' rule. Identify several differences and explain how they affect the outcome of their lives. Discuss how those differences are employed by Clarke to provide different perspectives for the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Religion vs. science is a dominant theme in "Childhood's End." Consider Karellen's desire not to be involved in spiritual matters. Explain why this is a standard he holds. Karellen donates an apparatus to the World History Foundation that shows footage of the past 5,000 years. In spite of the fact that he doesn't want to interfere in spiritual matters, the device dispels many religious views. Discuss and explain why Karellen chose to do this.
Essay Topic 3
Professor Sullivan has prepared a squid and whale display for the Overlords to take back to their home planet. Describe the symbolism suggested by the whale and the squid as it amplifies the plot of the novel. Discuss why the story of Jonah and the whale is of interest to Karellen. Identify any elements of foreshadowing in Karellen's knowledge of the biblical story.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)