|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the founder of the community on the island compared to?
2. What is causing grief to people all over the world?
3. What does Jan Rodricks come to realize after his return to Earth from the aliens' planet?
4. Who is Charles Yan Sen?
5. What is unique about the island George Greggson and Jean Morrel visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the nature of Jeffrey Greggson's dreams as revealed in Chapter 18 and how the Overlords evaluate what is happening to him.
2. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
3. Why do George Greggson and Jean Morrel move to New Athens? Describe their adjustment to their new home.
4. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
5. What events are foreshadowed when the Inspector shares his report with Karellen after meeting with the New Athens council?
6. In his radio address in Chapter 20, what does Karellen explain is his reason for occupying the planet?
7. What is ironic about Jan Rodricks' return to Earth?
8. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
9. Describe Jan Rodricks' activities during his stay on Carina. How does he feel about his visit?
10. What does Karellen reveal during his weekly press conference in Chapter 14, and how does he justify the Overlords' actions based on their revelation during the conference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last few chapters of "Childhood's End" are tinged with definite melancholy and a sense of loss. Discuss George Greggson and Jean Morrel's feelings as their two children seem to be slipping away. Discuss if this is akin to the grief someone would feel at the death of a loved one. Compare the sense of loss they feel with the emotions Karellen seems to be developing toward the end of the story. Are the two children really "lost"? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
One easily identifiable image in our culture is that of Satan, with horns, hooves, wings, pointed tail, etc. Discuss the irony in Karellen's appearance as the devil to the historical role the devil has played in Western culture.
Essay Topic 3
George Greggson and Jan Rodricks seem to be kindred spirits. While they are alike in many ways, there are some significant differences, especially in how they respond to the Overlords' rule. Identify several differences and explain how they affect the outcome of their lives. Discuss how those differences are employed by Clarke to provide different perspectives for the reader.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)