|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thanthalteresco?
2. What do the remaining people on New Athens do after the aliens take action with their children?
3. What do the aliens do with Jan Rodricks?
4. What drug does Jan Rodricks inject himself with after being smuggled on board the alien ship?
5. Why does Professor Sullivan build a decoy whale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do George Greggson and Jean Morrel move to New Athens? Describe their adjustment to their new home.
2. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
3. What does Karellen reveal during his weekly press conference in Chapter 14, and how does he justify the Overlords' actions based on their revelation during the conference?
4. What is symbolic about the whale and the squid, especially in light of the end of the novel?
5. Why was New Athens founded, by whom, and what is its greatest artistic achievement?
6. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
7. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
8. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
9. In his radio address in Chapter 20, what does Karellen explain is his reason for occupying the planet?
10. Why do the Overlords watch George Greggson's children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Clarke drops subtle hints (and some not so subtle) of what is to come, employing the literary device of foreshadowing. Identify at least three major incidences of foreshadowing, in which an event in the book points toward its ultimate conclusion. With each event earlier in the book, cite the event that fulfills the foreshadowing that came earlier, and the plot elements that moved the story from the foreshadowing incident to the outcome.
Essay Topic 2
George Greggson and Jan Rodricks seem to be kindred spirits. While they are alike in many ways, there are some significant differences, especially in how they respond to the Overlords' rule. Identify several differences and explain how they affect the outcome of their lives. Discuss how those differences are employed by Clarke to provide different perspectives for the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Professor Sullivan has prepared a squid and whale display for the Overlords to take back to their home planet. Describe the symbolism suggested by the whale and the squid as it amplifies the plot of the novel. Discuss why the story of Jonah and the whale is of interest to Karellen. Identify any elements of foreshadowing in Karellen's knowledge of the biblical story.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)