|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vindarten do with Jan Rodricks?
2. What is the Overmind?
3. What do George Greggson and Jean Morrel decide to do after the incidents on New Athens ?
4. Why is Professor Sullivan sad in Chapter 13?
5. What does the device Karellen employs in the pressroom do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the nature of Jeffrey Greggson's dreams as revealed in Chapter 18 and how the Overlords evaluate what is happening to him.
2. During the press conference at which Karellen says that Jan Rodricks has stowed away on the Overlords' spaceship, what part of Karellen's nature does he reveal?
3. Why was New Athens founded, by whom, and what is its greatest artistic achievement?
4. What is symbolic about the whale and the squid, especially in light of the end of the novel?
5. What happens at the council meeting between the leaders of New Athens and the Overlord "Inspector," Thanthalteresco? How does Thanthalteresco respond to Dr. Sen's comments?
6. What events are foreshadowed when the Inspector shares his report with Karellen after meeting with the New Athens council?
7. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
8. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
9. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
10. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two scientists introduced in "Childhood's End" are only seen in Chapter 1. Compare and contrast Reinhold Hoffmann and Konrad Schneider, and describe the function these two characters play in setting the stage for the novel. Discuss whether or not the work of these two characters impacts the rest of the novel in any fashion.
Essay Topic 2
The Overlords have clearly stated that the stars are not meant for man. In light of the whole novel, discuss whether or not the Overlords' statement is a valid one. Discuss, from the viewpoint of the Overlords, their rationale in wanting humans to remain earthbound.
Essay Topic 3
Karellen reveals himself in Chapter 5. He invites two children to join him on board his ship before he exits. Consider whether or not children have an inherent fear of the same things adults find frightening, or if fear is a learned response. Discuss the differences between what is frightening to a child and what is frightening to an adult. Describe Karellen's rationale in revealing himself in the fashion he does, based on what he has discerned about human nature.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)