|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Overmind?
2. What is unique about Karellen's planet?
3. What do the remaining people on New Athens do after the aliens take action with their children?
4. What is Jean Morrel shocked to find in her new home?
5. What do George Greggson and Jean Morrel spend as much time as possible doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Overlords watch George Greggson's children?
2. Why are people worldwide grieving after George Greggson and Jean Morrel's children begin to change?
3. How does Jan Rodricks respond when approaching Earth on his return, and why?
4. What is symbolic about the whale and the squid, especially in light of the end of the novel?
5. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
6. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
7. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
8. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
9. What events are foreshadowed when the Inspector shares his report with Karellen after meeting with the New Athens council?
10. Why was New Athens founded, by whom, and what is its greatest artistic achievement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Childhood's End" was written by Arthur C. Clarke well before mankind actually began space exploration. Imagine that Clarke were writing the book in 2009. Describe what differences might be found in the plot of the book, what impact current technology might have in the writing of the book, and how the current world condition might impact the book. Select pivotal plot points from the book and describe how those points might be different should the book have been written this year.
Essay Topic 2
Professor Sullivan has prepared a squid and whale display for the Overlords to take back to their home planet. Describe the symbolism suggested by the whale and the squid as it amplifies the plot of the novel. Discuss why the story of Jonah and the whale is of interest to Karellen. Identify any elements of foreshadowing in Karellen's knowledge of the biblical story.
Essay Topic 3
Karellen and the Overlords have a definite plan when it comes to the establishment of a Utopian state. In light of the entire novel, discuss why the Overlords have a compulsion to reform Earth's society. Consider the conditions ushered in by the Overlords - transforming Earth into Utopia. Explain why most humans are willing to embrace this new state. Compare and contrast the Overlords' tactful use of power vs. the use of brute force. Describe which method you feel was most appropriate for humanity in the book, assuming that the Overlords could have chosen to use force.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)