|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the remaining people on New Athens do after the aliens take action with their children?
2. What is the name of George Greggson's daughter?
3. What does Rashaverak suggest that George Greggson and Jean Morrel do as their children begin to change in mental and physical abilities?
4. What does the device Karellen employs in the pressroom do?
5. What do George Greggson and Jean Morrel see Jeffrey Greggson doing as the invaders take action with the children in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jan Rodricks decides to hide himself in a whale display that will be loaded on board the Overlords' ship and transported to their planet. Discuss the price he has to pay relative to friends and loved ones by going through with his plot. Was it "worth it"? Explain. Rodricks also refers to the story of Jonah and the whale, another one of several biblical references in the novel. Discuss what parallels to the biblical account he sees in his own life.
Essay Topic 2
The Overlords have clearly stated that the stars are not meant for man. In light of the whole novel, discuss whether or not the Overlords' statement is a valid one. Discuss, from the viewpoint of the Overlords, their rationale in wanting humans to remain earthbound.
Essay Topic 3
The Overmind is introduced. In the context of the novel, is the Overmind God? Explain your answer. Describe the relationship between the Overlords and the Overmind. Discuss whether or not Karellen's notion that the Overmind is protecting humanity from itself is a valid one, and why Karellen would hold that opinion.
This section contains 1,641 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)