|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Vindarten?
2. What do George Greggson and Jean Morrel spend as much time as possible doing?
3. What does the device Karellen employs in the pressroom do?
4. What is it that Jeffrey Greggson no longer needs as he seems to be changing into another life form?
5. Charles Yan Sen compares the aliens' cultivation of Earth to:
Short Essay Questions
1. In his radio address in Chapter 20, what does Karellen explain is his reason for occupying the planet?
2. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
3. Why are people worldwide grieving after George Greggson and Jean Morrel's children begin to change?
4. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
5. What is significant about the results of the tsunami on George Greggson's family?
6. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
7. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
8. Why was New Athens founded, by whom, and what is its greatest artistic achievement?
9. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
10. Describe Jan Rodricks' activities during his stay on Carina. How does he feel about his visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
New Athens is introduced as another backdrop for events in the novel, and Ben Salomon is identified as the colony's founder. Contrast the differences in New Athens and the rest of the Utopian society. Discuss Salomon's rationale in founding New Athens. Note and emphasize his desire for it to be an artists' colony and his reasoning behind that decision. Another biblical reference is noted with Salomon and his comparison to Moses. Discuss the spiritual (but not necessarily religious) implications in Salomon's work.
Essay Topic 2
One easily identifiable image in our culture is that of Satan, with horns, hooves, wings, pointed tail, etc. Discuss the irony in Karellen's appearance as the devil to the historical role the devil has played in Western culture.
Essay Topic 3
The Overlord "inspector," Thanthalteresco, is sent to observe activities on New Athens. Thanthalteresco, along with Karellen and Rashaverak, become the central Overlord characters of the novel, each with distinctive roles. Compare and contrast the work and relationships of these three Overlords with humans, noting their unique roles. Thanthalteresco seems especially interested in George Greggson's son, Jeffrey. Describe the relationship, emphasizing its positive or negative aspects. Karellen's attitude toward humans seems to change over the course of the novel. Describe that attitude, and explain why it may have changed entirely during the arc of the story.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)