|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the space shuttle being launched in Chapter 1?
2. What does Karellen believe can achieve political harmony?
3. Why do the extremists kidnap Rikki Stormgren?
4. What does Chapter 10 describe?
5. What does the American scientist see from the Pacific island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What group kidnaps Rikki Stormgren, and for what reason?
2. How is Rikki Stormgren freed from the group that has kidnapped him?
3. What does Jan Rodricks ask Professor Sullivan to help him do, and what is Sullivan's response?
4. Who is Rikki Stormgren, and what is his role?
5. Who is Alexander Wainwright, and what is his role?
6. Why are the journalists and spectators waiting in anticipation at the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. What does Reinhold Hoffmann see in the night sky over the island of Taratura, and what does it imply?
8. What does the arrival of the Overlords do to religion?
9. What does Jan Rodricks learn from his research in star catalogs, and what is the significance of his discovery?
10. What is Karellen's philosophy about world order that he shares with Rikki Stormgren?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Professor Sullivan has prepared a squid and whale display for the Overlords to take back to their home planet. Describe the symbolism suggested by the whale and the squid as it amplifies the plot of the novel. Discuss why the story of Jonah and the whale is of interest to Karellen. Identify any elements of foreshadowing in Karellen's knowledge of the biblical story.
Essay Topic 2
The Overmind is introduced. In the context of the novel, is the Overmind God? Explain your answer. Describe the relationship between the Overlords and the Overmind. Discuss whether or not Karellen's notion that the Overmind is protecting humanity from itself is a valid one, and why Karellen would hold that opinion.
Essay Topic 3
One easily identifiable image in our culture is that of Satan, with horns, hooves, wings, pointed tail, etc. Discuss the irony in Karellen's appearance as the devil to the historical role the devil has played in Western culture.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)