|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are George Greggson and Jean Morrel from?
2. What is the name of the colonel from Technical Intelligence?
3. What game does Jan Rodricks play with the guests at the party?
4. Why does Rupert Boyce hold special interest for the aliens?
5. What does Rikki Stormgren believe about the two races, humans and Overlords?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the adjustments the Overlords have to make to adapt to being on Earth?
2. What is the relationship between Reinhold Hoffmann and the Russian scientist Konrad Schneider?
3. Why are the journalists and spectators waiting in anticipation at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. How do the Overlords intimidate humans with a ruse?
5. What does Reinhold Hoffmann see in the night sky over the island of Taratura, and what does it imply?
6. How is Rikki Stormgren freed from the group that has kidnapped him?
7. What is the difference between the Eastern media and Western media concerning the Overlords' rule?
8. Who is Rikki Stormgren, and what is his role?
9. What is Karellen's philosophy about world order that he shares with Rikki Stormgren?
10. What are Rashaverak's feelings about Rupert Boyce as he relates them to Karellen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Overlords have clearly stated that the stars are not meant for man. In light of the whole novel, discuss whether or not the Overlords' statement is a valid one. Discuss, from the viewpoint of the Overlords, their rationale in wanting humans to remain earthbound.
Essay Topic 2
One goal of the Overlords is the establishment of a World Federation. Compare and contrast the concept of a World Federation to our current system of self-governing nations. Taking a look at both sides of the argument, choose which ideology seems the most reasonable, and justify that ideology. Explain whether or not insurrection against an established ideology is justified or not, using the Freedom League's opposition to the Overlords as a starting point.
Essay Topic 3
The two scientists introduced in "Childhood's End" are only seen in Chapter 1. Compare and contrast Reinhold Hoffmann and Konrad Schneider, and describe the function these two characters play in setting the stage for the novel. Discuss whether or not the work of these two characters impacts the rest of the novel in any fashion.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)