|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jan Rodricks' father do?
2. What happens when Rikki Stormgren doesn't show up for work?
3. What does Karelllen do for Rikki Stormgren during their last meeting?
4. What does the reporter ask Rikki Stormgren 50 years after his final encounter with Karellen?
5. What does an unnamed major country attempt to do to the invaders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rikki Stormgren, and what is his role?
2. What does the arrival of the Overlords do to religion?
3. What is the relationship between Reinhold Hoffmann and the Russian scientist Konrad Schneider?
4. What does Reinhold Hoffmann see in the night sky over the island of Taratura, and what does it imply?
5. What is so shocking about the Overlords' appearance as revealed in Chapter 5?
6. What does Alexander Wainwright believe the Overlords are waiting for before revealing themselves?
7. Why are professional sports almost obsolete in 2050?
8. What group kidnaps Rikki Stormgren, and for what reason?
9. What are Rashaverak's feelings about Rupert Boyce as he relates them to Karellen?
10. What does Jan Rodricks learn from his research in star catalogs, and what is the significance of his discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion vs. science is a dominant theme in "Childhood's End." Consider Karellen's desire not to be involved in spiritual matters. Explain why this is a standard he holds. Karellen donates an apparatus to the World History Foundation that shows footage of the past 5,000 years. In spite of the fact that he doesn't want to interfere in spiritual matters, the device dispels many religious views. Discuss and explain why Karellen chose to do this.
Essay Topic 2
Earth, as the characters in the novel know it, ends. In the story arc, identify when the end of mankind becomes inevitable. Discuss whether or not the novel could have ended any other way. Are George Greggson, Jean Morrel, and Jan Rodricks tragic figures, or are they heroes? Defend your answer. If Clarke had asked you to title his novel, would you have chosen "Childhood's End" or "Childhood's Beginning"? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Professor Sullivan has prepared a squid and whale display for the Overlords to take back to their home planet. Describe the symbolism suggested by the whale and the squid as it amplifies the plot of the novel. Discuss why the story of Jonah and the whale is of interest to Karellen. Identify any elements of foreshadowing in Karellen's knowledge of the biblical story.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)