|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Karellen grieve for humans?
(a) Because he had the opportunity to save them but didn't.
(b) Because they never reached their full potential.
(c) Because he had become so attached to them
(d) Because they were destroyed.
2. What does Vindarten do with Jan Rodricks?
(a) Plants his own thoughts in Jan Rodricks' mind.
(b) Tours the planet with him.
(c) Explains the invaders' true purpose for visiting Earth.
(d) Shows Jan Rodricks the future.
3. Why is Karellen sad for his race?
(a) It is forced to perform the same tasks on some other planet as it did Earth.
(b) It will never reach the potential of the new race on Earth.
(c) It is becoming extinct.
(d) It is trapped by the Overmind.
4. What do the remaining people on New Athens do after the aliens take action with their children?
(a) Decide how to live the rest of their lives.
(b) Band together to defeat the aliens.
(c) Plot how to rescue their children.
(d) Dissolve into mass warfare.
5. How does Karellen explain mankind's understanding of the invaders' devil-like appearance to Jan Rodricks?
(a) The invaders appeared to early man.
(b) The invaders can morph into whatever appearance they please.
(c) Some people throughout history have had psychic visions of the invaders.
(d) The invaders made cave paintings of themselves in areas where humans had not yet emerged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karellen decide to do as the end of civilization approaches?
2. What does Karellen predict about Earth during his press conference in Chapter 14?
3. What is the effect of the drug Jan Rodricks injects himself with?
4. What do the aliens do with the children in Chapter 21?
5. What is the name of the invaders' home planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the response and mindset of the people of New Athens after the children are evacuated.
2. Why do the Overlords watch George Greggson's children?
3. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
4. Why are people worldwide grieving after George Greggson and Jean Morrel's children begin to change?
5. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
6. In his radio address in Chapter 20, what does Karellen explain is his reason for occupying the planet?
7. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
8. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
9. What does Karellen reveal during his weekly press conference in Chapter 14, and how does he justify the Overlords' actions based on their revelation during the conference?
10. Explain the nature of Jeffrey Greggson's dreams as revealed in Chapter 18 and how the Overlords evaluate what is happening to him.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)