|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeffrey Greggson dream about after his family has relocated to its new home?
(a) His parents.
(b) The invaders.
(c) Other planets and solar systems.
2. What drug does Jan Rodricks inject himself with after being smuggled on board the alien ship?
(a) Sodium pentathol.
3. What does Jan Rodricks see in the museum he visits?
(a) An alien library.
(b) Antique alien spaceships.
(c) Exhibits from several planets, including Earth.
(d) The history of the invaders.
4. What island do George Greggson and Jean Morrel visit?
(a) New Agribah.
(b) New Athens.
(c) New Albany.
(d) New Amsterdam.
5. What does Karellen predict about Earth during his press conference in Chapter 14?
(a) The perfect world he helped create will soon be obsolete.
(b) Humans will ultimately destroy themselves.
(c) Humans will colonize other planets.
(d) Humans will leave Earth permanantly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Children all over the world under the age of _____ are experiencing a transformation.
2. What do the children do three years later when their minds are more closely connected?
3. What comes as a warning prior to the tsunami?
4. What is the Overmind?
5. How does Karellen explain mankind's understanding of the invaders' devil-like appearance to Jan Rodricks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jan Rodricks respond when approaching Earth on his return, and why?
2. What is symbolic about the whale and the squid, especially in light of the end of the novel?
3. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
4. What does Jan Rodricks observe after the Overlords depart and leave him as the last person on Earth, and what does he wonder about the Overlords and his role at the end?
5. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
6. What is significant about the results of the tsunami on George Greggson's family?
7. Describe the response and mindset of the people of New Athens after the children are evacuated.
8. Why was New Athens founded, by whom, and what is its greatest artistic achievement?
9. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
10. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)