|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of George Greggson's oldest son?
2. Which invader does George Greggson meet with?
3. What island do George Greggson and Jean Morrel visit?
(a) New Athens.
(b) New Amsterdam.
(c) New Agribah.
(d) New Albany.
4. What is unique about Karellen's planet?
(a) Whales once existed there, but are now extinct.
(b) It has no oceans.
(c) It has an atmosphere toxic to humans.
(d) It has minimal land mass.
5. Why is Professor Sullivan sad in Chapter 13?
(a) He realizes he will not be able to do any more research on the aliens.
(b) He believes that Jan Rodricks should stay on Earth.
(c) He believes that he should be stowing away on the alien ship.
(d) He knows he will never see Jan Rodricks again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alarms Jan Rodricks when he returns to Earth?
2. What does Rashaverak suggest that George Greggson and Jean Morrel do as their children begin to change in mental and physical abilities?
3. What does Jan Rodricks see in the museum he visits?
4. What does Jan Rodricks see has happened to the children of Earth?
5. Why does Professor Sullivan build a decoy whale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jan Rodricks observe after the Overlords depart and leave him as the last person on Earth, and what does he wonder about the Overlords and his role at the end?
2. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
3. What events are foreshadowed when the Inspector shares his report with Karellen after meeting with the New Athens council?
4. During the press conference at which Karellen says that Jan Rodricks has stowed away on the Overlords' spaceship, what part of Karellen's nature does he reveal?
5. Why was New Athens founded, by whom, and what is its greatest artistic achievement?
6. Why do the Overlords watch George Greggson's children?
7. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
8. Describe the response and mindset of the people of New Athens after the children are evacuated.
9. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
10. Describe Jan Rodricks' activities during his stay on Carina. How does he feel about his visit?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)