|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about Karellen's planet?
(a) Whales once existed there, but are now extinct.
(b) It has an atmosphere toxic to humans.
(c) It has minimal land mass.
(d) It has no oceans.
2. What does Karellen decide to do as the end of civilization approaches?
(a) Destroy the world.
(b) Address the world.
(c) Transport people from the Earth to a safe place.
(d) Enslave the world.
3. What drug does Jan Rodricks inject himself with after being smuggled on board the alien ship?
(d) Sodium pentathol.
4. What are the children involved in that lasts almost a year?
(a) The rebuilding of society in the invaders' image.
(b) Discovering the invaders' plans for them.
(c) Some sort of ritual dance.
5. What does Jennifer Greggson spend all her time doing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the founder of the community on the island compared to?
2. Whom does George Greggson believe saves his eldest son from the tsunami?
3. Where does Karellen send one of his fellow invaders?
4. Which invader does George Greggson meet with?
5. What does the device Karellen employs in the pressroom do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Jan Rodricks' return to Earth?
2. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
3. What is symbolic about the whale and the squid, especially in light of the end of the novel?
4. What events are foreshadowed when the Inspector shares his report with Karellen after meeting with the New Athens council?
5. Why are people worldwide grieving after George Greggson and Jean Morrel's children begin to change?
6. Why do the Overlords watch George Greggson's children?
7. What is significant about the results of the tsunami on George Greggson's family?
8. Describe the response and mindset of the people of New Athens after the children are evacuated.
9. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
10. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)