|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karellen plan to do with the children?
(a) Leave them with their parents for nurture and care.
(b) Evacuate them.
(c) Put them in suspended animation.
(d) Quarantine them.
2. Who is Vindarten?
(a) The only alien who can read Jan Rodricks' mind.
(b) The only alien who doesn't have wings.
(c) The only alien who speaks English.
(d) The only alien who understands Jan Rodricks.
3. Why did the invaders build Utopia?
(a) As an experiment to see how humans would exist in a perfect world.
(b) To squelch human curiousity.
(c) To divert people from their doomed future.
(d) To give people an appreciation for freedom.
4. What does Jan Rodricks observe that he also saw on the aliens' home planet?
(a) A museum.
(b) Aliens flying.
(c) A giant web of light and color covering the atmosphere.
(d) A glowing mountain.
5. What does Jan Rodricks see has happened to the children of Earth?
(a) They have all been located together on one continent.
(b) They have taken on the appearance of the invaders.
(c) They all look identical.
(d) They have been scattered to all the continents of Earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes as a warning prior to the tsunami?
2. What is the effect of the drug Jan Rodricks injects himself with?
3. What do the aliens do while the children develop their powers?
4. How does Karellen explain the invaders' motives for occupying Earth?
5. Who is Thanthalteresco?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
2. Describe the response and mindset of the people of New Athens after the children are evacuated.
3. What events are foreshadowed when the Inspector shares his report with Karellen after meeting with the New Athens council?
4. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
5. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
6. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
7. Why are people worldwide grieving after George Greggson and Jean Morrel's children begin to change?
8. How does Jan Rodricks respond when approaching Earth on his return, and why?
9. What is ironic about Jan Rodricks' return to Earth?
10. Why was New Athens founded, by whom, and what is its greatest artistic achievement?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)