|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Thanthalteresco?
(a) The professor.
(b) The peacekeeper.
(c) The enforcer.
(d) The inspector.
2. What do the aliens do while the children develop their powers?
(a) Select the less-intelligent children for extermination.
(b) Tutor the children.
(c) Mingle with the children.
(d) Observe from space.
3. What does Karellen plan to do with the children?
(a) Put them in suspended animation.
(b) Leave them with their parents for nurture and care.
(c) Quarantine them.
(d) Evacuate them.
4. What does Jeffrey Greggson dream about after his family has relocated to its new home?
(a) His parents.
(b) The invaders.
(d) Other planets and solar systems.
5. What is it that Jeffrey Greggson no longer needs as he seems to be changing into another life form?
(b) Human interaction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Karellen sad for his race?
2. What do George Greggson and Jean Morrel see Jeffrey Greggson doing as the invaders take action with the children in Chapter 21?
3. What is Jan Rodricks not allowed to photograph?
4. Who is the founder of the community on the island compared to?
5. What does Karellen state was the reason for his occupation of Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
2. What does Jan Rodricks observe after the Overlords depart and leave him as the last person on Earth, and what does he wonder about the Overlords and his role at the end?
3. Explain the nature of Jeffrey Greggson's dreams as revealed in Chapter 18 and how the Overlords evaluate what is happening to him.
4. Describe Jan Rodricks' activities during his stay on Carina. How does he feel about his visit?
5. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
6. What is symbolic about the whale and the squid, especially in light of the end of the novel?
7. What is significant about the results of the tsunami on George Greggson's family?
8. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
9. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
10. Why are people worldwide grieving after George Greggson and Jean Morrel's children begin to change?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)