|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karellen predict about Earth during his press conference in Chapter 14?
(a) The perfect world he helped create will soon be obsolete.
(b) Humans will ultimately destroy themselves.
(c) Humans will leave Earth permanantly.
(d) Humans will colonize other planets.
2. What is the name of George Greggson's daughter?
(a) Pepper Anne.
(b) Carol Anne.
(c) Elizabeth Anne.
(d) Jennifer Anne.
3. What is it that Jeffrey Greggson no longer needs as he seems to be changing into another life form?
(a) Human interaction.
4. Who is Vindarten?
(a) The only alien who can read Jan Rodricks' mind.
(b) The only alien who speaks English.
(c) The only alien who doesn't have wings.
(d) The only alien who understands Jan Rodricks.
5. What island do George Greggson and Jean Morrel visit?
(a) New Amsterdam.
(b) New Athens.
(c) New Albany.
(d) New Agribah.
Short Answer Questions
1. The greatest achievement of the people in the island community comes in what field?
2. How does Karellen reveal that Jan Rodricks was a stowaway on the alien ship?
3. Who is Charles Yan Sen?
4. What does George Greggson's eldest son tell him about Thanthalteresco?
5. What is the name of George Greggson's oldest son's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
2. What does Jan Rodricks observe after the Overlords depart and leave him as the last person on Earth, and what does he wonder about the Overlords and his role at the end?
3. What is symbolic about the whale and the squid, especially in light of the end of the novel?
4. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
5. Why are people worldwide grieving after George Greggson and Jean Morrel's children begin to change?
6. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
7. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
8. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
9. What does Karellen reveal during his weekly press conference in Chapter 14, and how does he justify the Overlords' actions based on their revelation during the conference?
10. Explain the nature of Jeffrey Greggson's dreams as revealed in Chapter 18 and how the Overlords evaluate what is happening to him.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)