|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Karellen send one of his fellow invaders?
(a) To Ephesus.
(b) To Athens.
(c) To Mars Hill.
(d) To Corinth.
2. What does Jan Rodricks see has happened to the children of Earth?
(a) They have been scattered to all the continents of Earth.
(b) They have all been located together on one continent.
(c) They have taken on the appearance of the invaders.
(d) They all look identical.
3. Why is Karellen impressed with the whale display in Chapter 13?
(a) Because it is eerily lifelike.
(b) Because a whale is evidence of evolution.
(c) There are no animals the size of a whale on Karellen's home planet.
(d) Because it is more easily transported than a real whale.
4. Why did the invaders build Utopia?
(a) To squelch human curiousity.
(b) To divert people from their doomed future.
(c) As an experiment to see how humans would exist in a perfect world.
(d) To give people an appreciation for freedom.
5. What does Rashaverak tell George Greggson and Jean Morrel about their children?
(a) The children would be transported to the invader's home planet.
(b) The children would be the last citizens of Earth.
(c) The aliens chose the children for immortality.
(d) They were randomly chosen for an experiment by a higher power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karellen predict about Earth during his press conference in Chapter 14?
2. What do the aliens do with the children in Chapter 21?
3. Why does Karellen grieve for humans?
4. What is the name of George Greggson's daughter?
5. What does Jennifer Greggson spend all her time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the council meeting between the leaders of New Athens and the Overlord "Inspector," Thanthalteresco? How does Thanthalteresco respond to Dr. Sen's comments?
2. What events are foreshadowed when the Inspector shares his report with Karellen after meeting with the New Athens council?
3. What is significant about the results of the tsunami on George Greggson's family?
4. What does Karellen reveal during his weekly press conference in Chapter 14, and how does he justify the Overlords' actions based on their revelation during the conference?
5. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
6. What does Jan Rodricks observe after the Overlords depart and leave him as the last person on Earth, and what does he wonder about the Overlords and his role at the end?
7. Why do George Greggson and Jean Morrel move to New Athens? Describe their adjustment to their new home.
8. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
9. During the press conference at which Karellen says that Jan Rodricks has stowed away on the Overlords' spaceship, what part of Karellen's nature does he reveal?
10. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)