|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drug does Jan Rodricks inject himself with after being smuggled on board the alien ship?
(d) Sodium pentathol.
2. What do the children do three years later when their minds are more closely connected?
(a) Destroy the remaining humans.
(b) Develop the ability to levitate and fly.
(c) Destroy all plant and animal life.
(d) Plan to overthrow the invaders.
3. Why does Karellen grieve for humans?
(a) Because he had the opportunity to save them but didn't.
(b) Because he had become so attached to them
(c) Because they were destroyed.
(d) Because they never reached their full potential.
4. What is the effect of the drug Jan Rodricks injects himself with?
(a) It puts him into a state similar to hibernation.
(b) It gives him superhuman strength.
(c) It gives him a heightened sense of awareness.
(d) It causes hallucinations.
5. What does the new race do with the moon?
(a) Make it spin.
(b) Destroy it.
(c) Fling it toward the sun.
(d) Colonize it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Overmind?
2. According to Karellen, what will humans develop?
3. How does Karellen explain mankind's understanding of the invaders' devil-like appearance to Jan Rodricks?
4. What are the children involved in that lasts almost a year?
5. Why does Professor Sullivan build a decoy whale?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
2. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
3. Why do the Overlords watch George Greggson's children?
4. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
5. During the press conference at which Karellen says that Jan Rodricks has stowed away on the Overlords' spaceship, what part of Karellen's nature does he reveal?
6. Describe Jan Rodricks' activities during his stay on Carina. How does he feel about his visit?
7. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
8. Why do George Greggson and Jean Morrel move to New Athens? Describe their adjustment to their new home.
9. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
10. What does Jan Rodricks observe after the Overlords depart and leave him as the last person on Earth, and what does he wonder about the Overlords and his role at the end?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)