|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Karellen reveal that Jan Rodricks was a stowaway on the alien ship?
(a) In a conversation with Professor Sullivan.
(b) At a press conference.
(c) Through thought transference.
(d) On a worldwide broadcast.
2. What do the aliens do with Jan Rodricks?
(a) Return for him after he has recorded the activities of the new race.
(b) Take him with them back to their home planet.
(c) Make him part of the new race.
(d) Leave him in charge of their base.
3. Which invader does George Greggson meet with?
4. What is the name of the inactive volcano on the island?
(b) Mt. Doom.
5. The greatest achievement of the people in the island community comes in what field?
(c) Psychic ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of George Greggson's oldest son's dog?
2. What does Karellen state was the reason for his occupation of Earth?
3. What is causing grief to people all over the world?
4. What does George Greggson's eldest son tell him about Thanthalteresco?
5. Whom does George Greggson believe saves his eldest son from the tsunami?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
2. Describe the response and mindset of the people of New Athens after the children are evacuated.
3. What is symbolic about the whale and the squid, especially in light of the end of the novel?
4. What does Jan Rodricks observe after the Overlords depart and leave him as the last person on Earth, and what does he wonder about the Overlords and his role at the end?
5. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
6. What are George Greggson's thoughts on Jan Rodricks after he learns that Rodricks has stowed away on an Overlord ship? How does Greggson identify with Rodricks?
7. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
8. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
9. What does Karellen reveal during his weekly press conference in Chapter 14, and how does he justify the Overlords' actions based on their revelation during the conference?
10. According to Karellen, why did the Overlords build Utopia, and what is his desire for mankind?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)