|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karellen decide to do as the end of civilization approaches?
(a) Address the world.
(b) Destroy the world.
(c) Transport people from the Earth to a safe place.
(d) Enslave the world.
2. What is the name of the invaders' home planet?
3. What do the aliens do with Jan Rodricks?
(a) Leave him in charge of their base.
(b) Take him with them back to their home planet.
(c) Make him part of the new race.
(d) Return for him after he has recorded the activities of the new race.
4. What is Jennifer Greggson able to do as she begins to show evidences of change in Chapter 18?
(a) Shake a rattle without touching it.
(b) Read her parents' minds.
(d) Speak in the same language as the invaders.
5. What is the name of George Greggson's oldest son?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the inactive volcano on the island?
2. What happens to the Earth?
3. How does Karellen reveal that Jan Rodricks was a stowaway on the alien ship?
4. What is the name of George Greggson's oldest son's dog?
5. According to Karellen, what will humans develop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Karellen sad at the end of the novel?
2. What happens at the council meeting between the leaders of New Athens and the Overlord "Inspector," Thanthalteresco? How does Thanthalteresco respond to Dr. Sen's comments?
3. Why are people worldwide grieving after George Greggson and Jean Morrel's children begin to change?
4. Why was New Athens founded, by whom, and what is its greatest artistic achievement?
5. What events are foreshadowed when the Inspector shares his report with Karellen after meeting with the New Athens council?
6. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
7. Explain the nature of Jeffrey Greggson's dreams as revealed in Chapter 18 and how the Overlords evaluate what is happening to him.
8. What is ironic about Jan Rodricks' return to Earth?
9. During the press conference at which Karellen says that Jan Rodricks has stowed away on the Overlords' spaceship, what part of Karellen's nature does he reveal?
10. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)