|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the aliens do with the children in Chapter 21?
(a) Unite them with their parents.
(b) Evacuate them.
(c) Vaccinate them.
(d) Put them in suspended animation.
2. What does Rashaverak suggest that George Greggson and Jean Morrel do as their children begin to change in mental and physical abilities?
(a) Move their family to an island of the invaders' choosing.
(b) Ask the children to teach their parents the same abilities.
(c) Spend as much time with their children as possible.
(d) Hide their children from the crisis that is to come.
3. What does watching what the invaders do with the children remind George Greggson of?
(a) An old newsreel from one of the world wars.
(b) The fall of Saigon.
(c) The Trail of Tears.
(d) The Exodus.
4. Who is the founder of the community on the island compared to?
5. What does George Greggson's eldest son tell him about Thanthalteresco?
(a) He believes Thanthalteresco is dying.
(b) He believes Thanthalteresco saved him from the tsunami.
(c) He believes Thanthalteresco can read his mind.
(d) He believes Thanthalteresco wants to kidnap him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new race do with the moon?
2. What are the children involved in that lasts almost a year?
3. What do George Greggson and Jean Morrel spend as much time as possible doing?
4. Why does Karellen grieve for humans?
5. What does Karellen decide to do as the end of civilization approaches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
2. Why are George Greggson and Jean Morrel spending more time with their children in Chapter 19?
3. What does Karellen reveal during his weekly press conference in Chapter 14, and how does he justify the Overlords' actions based on their revelation during the conference?
4. Explain George Greggson's observations and feelings at the beginning of Chapter 21.
5. Describe the response and mindset of the people of New Athens after the children are evacuated.
6. What does Jan Rodricks observe after the Overlords depart and leave him as the last person on Earth, and what does he wonder about the Overlords and his role at the end?
7. What is significant about the results of the tsunami on George Greggson's family?
8. Why are people worldwide grieving after George Greggson and Jean Morrel's children begin to change?
9. Why do George Greggson and Jean Morrel move to New Athens? Describe their adjustment to their new home.
10. During the press conference at which Karellen says that Jan Rodricks has stowed away on the Overlords' spaceship, what part of Karellen's nature does he reveal?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)