|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the role of Rikki Stormgren?
(a) President of the United States.
(b) Secretary-General of the United Nations.
(c) Director of the League of Nations.
(d) Head of the Centers for Disease Control.
2. Why do the invaders want to keep tabs on Jan Rodricks?
(a) They think he is planning an insurrection againt the invaders.
(b) They think he may be showing psychic ability.
(c) They think that he is a threat to their influence on Earth.
(d) They are suspicious of his interest in their home planet.
3. Why are professional sports obsolete?
(a) Sports have become too competitive.
(b) Amateur sports have taken the place of professional sports.
(c) The planet is overrrun with superior athletes.
(d) Sports distract from the overall goals of mankind.
4. What does Chapter 10 describe?
(a) The state of the world in 2001.
(b) The state of the world in 2010.
(c) The state of the world in 2025.
(d) The state of the world in 2050.
5. Why do the aliens find Jean Morrel valuable?
(a) Because she has memory of past lives.
(b) Because she has extraordinarily high IQ.
(c) Because she channeled a spirit.
(d) Because she has an advanced immune system.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the leader of the invaders make first contact with the people of Earth?
2. Where is Rikki Stormgren being held captive?
3. To whom does Jan Rodricks write a farewell letter?
4. What causes the disillusion of many religious beliefs?
5. What biblical story does Jan Rodricks refer to in his farewell letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What game does Rupert Boyce play with his remaining guests, and why?
2. Why are newspapers virtually obsolete in 2050?
3. What biblical story does Jan Rodricks refer to in his letter to his sister, and why is that significant?
4. How does Rupert Boyce explain the presence of an Overlord, Rashaverak, at his party?
5. What is symbolic about the whale and the squid, especially in light of the end of the novel?
6. How are George Greggson and Jean Morrel introduced in Chapter 7?
7. Who is Alexander Wainwright, and what is his role?
8. How does Karellen explain to Jan Rodricks mankind's ancient fear of the satanic appearance of the Overlords?
9. What happens at the council meeting between the leaders of New Athens and the Overlord "Inspector," Thanthalteresco? How does Thanthalteresco respond to Dr. Sen's comments?
10. What does Karellen tell Professor Sullivan about the whale display upon seeing it for the first time, and what is the significance of what he says ?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)