|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the alien ship located in Chapter 5?
(a) Hovering over New York City.
(b) Resting in Central Park.
(c) In orbit over Earth.
(d) Hovering over Washington, D.C.
2. Where did the American scientist and Russian scientist in Chapter 1 serve together at the end of WWII?
3. What is the global language of Earth?
4. What truth is revealed about the alien spaceships?
(a) The spaceships used warp drive to reach Earth.
(b) The spaceships were actually made on Earth eons earlier.
(c) The spaceships were equipped with weapons that could destroy Earth.
(d) There was only one spaceship.
5. What does Karellen do to the extremists when Karellen helps Rikki Stormgren escape?
(a) Puts them in a state of temporary paralysis.
(b) Causes them to go temporarily blind.
(c) Transports them to the alien ship.
(d) Erases their memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose do the alien ships on or around Earth serve?
2. How does Pierre Duval conclude that Rikki Stormgren can see Karellen?
3. In what year does Chapter 2 begin?
4. Why do the aliens find Jean Morrel valuable?
5. When Karellen ultimately speaks prior to his revealing himself for the first time, what does he ask for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pierre Duval, and what is his significance in the story?
2. What does the use of machines do to Earth culture after the Overlords establish Utopia?
3. What do Jan Rodricks and Rupert Boyce discuss while examining a stuffed elephant at Boyce's home, and why is Rodricks hesitant about telling Boyce the location of the Overlords' planet?
4. What is the role of the American scientist Reinhold Hoffmann?
5. What is so shocking about the Overlords' appearance as revealed in Chapter 5?
6. What is Karellen's philosophy about world order that he shares with Rikki Stormgren?
7. How do the Overlords intimidate humans with a ruse?
8. Who are the Overlords, and where are they found at the beginning of Chapter 2?
9. Why are the journalists and spectators waiting in anticipation at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. What does Jan Rodricks learn from his research in star catalogs, and what is the significance of his discovery?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)