|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the leader of the invaders make first contact with the people of Earth?
(a) He broadcasts over all radio stations worldwide.
(b) He appears in a holographic image.
(c) He appears on all television broadcasts worldwide.
(d) He guest hosts on "Saturday Night Live."
2. How does Karellen free Rikki Stormgren?
(a) Rikki Stormgren is put in a temporary coma.
(b) Rikki Stormgren is beamed aboard the invaders' ship.
(c) The exterior walls of Rikki Stormgren's cell are blasted away.
(d) By communicating through floating spheres.
3. Why do the invaders want to keep tabs on Jan Rodricks?
(a) They think he is planning an insurrection againt the invaders.
(b) They think he may be showing psychic ability.
(c) They are suspicious of his interest in their home planet.
(d) They think that he is a threat to their influence on Earth.
4. What does the reporter ask Rikki Stormgren 50 years after his final encounter with Karellen?
(a) The reporter asks if the invaders have accomplished all they set out to do.
(b) The reporter asks if Karellen has revealed his future plans.
(c) The reporter asks about the equipment Stormgren used to see Karellen.
(d) The reporter asks if the invaders are immortal.
5. Where does Jan Rodricks attend school?
(a) The State University of New York.
(b) The University of Cairo.
(c) The University of Phoenix.
(d) The University of Cape Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Karellen meet with in his office in Chapter 9?
2. Against what country do the invaders take direct action?
3. Although the media are very critical of Karellen's rule, the majority of humans are in favor of what?
4. What does Jan Rodricks examine at Rupert Boyce's home?
5. What will happen on Earth while Jan Rodricks travels to the alien planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are newspapers virtually obsolete in 2050?
2. Who is Pierre Duval, and what is his significance in the story?
3. What frustrations does Jan Rodricks voice to his sister, Maia? Explain how he plans to deal with those frustrations.
4. What game does Rupert Boyce play with his remaining guests, and why?
5. Who is Pieter Van Ryberg, and what does he do after Rikki Stormgren's disappearance?
6. What is the difference between the Eastern media and Western media concerning the Overlords' rule?
7. Why does Karellen want two children to come inside the ship with him?
8. Why are professional sports almost obsolete in 2050?
9. Who is Rikki Stormgren, and what is his role?
10. What is the relationship between Reinhold Hoffmann and the Russian scientist Konrad Schneider?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)