|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Jeffrey Greggson no longer needs as he seems to be changing into another life form?
(a) Human interaction.
2. What does Karellen predict about Earth during his press conference in Chapter 14?
(a) Humans will colonize other planets.
(b) Humans will leave Earth permanantly.
(c) Humans will ultimately destroy themselves.
(d) The perfect world he helped create will soon be obsolete.
3. What do the remaining people on New Athens do after the aliens take action with their children?
(a) Plot how to rescue their children.
(b) Band together to defeat the aliens.
(c) Dissolve into mass warfare.
(d) Decide how to live the rest of their lives.
4. What do George Greggson and Jean Morrel decide to do after the incidents on New Athens ?
(a) Ask to accompany their children on the alien spacecraft.
(b) Stay on the island and die.
(c) Try to stop the destruction of the island.
(d) Board a submarine to take them off the island.
5. What does Karellen plan to do with the children?
(a) Quarantine them.
(b) Put them in suspended animation.
(c) Evacuate them.
(d) Leave them with their parents for nurture and care.
6. What is the effect of the drug Jan Rodricks injects himself with?
(a) It gives him a heightened sense of awareness.
(b) It gives him superhuman strength.
(c) It puts him into a state similar to hibernation.
(d) It causes hallucinations.
7. What does watching what the invaders do with the children remind George Greggson of?
(a) The fall of Saigon.
(b) The Trail of Tears.
(c) An old newsreel from one of the world wars.
(d) The Exodus.
8. What do George Greggson and Jean Morrel spend as much time as possible doing?
(a) Planning the future.
(b) Conversing with the invaders.
(c) Being with their son.
(d) Being with their pets.
9. What does the device Karellen employs in the pressroom do?
(a) It causes those attending the press conference to accept everything they hear from Karellen.
(b) It turns the pressroom into a makeshift planetarium
(c) It gives those attending the press conference the ability to see the future.
(d) It discerns the thoughts of all those attending the press conference.
10. What is the name of George Greggson's oldest son?
11. Which invader does George Greggson meet with?
12. Why do the invaders plan to return Jan Rodricks to Earth?
(a) Because conditions on the alien planet would be too uncomfortable for him.
(b) Because they want him to act as ambassador.
(c) Because he is too hostile to the invaders.
(d) Because he is discovered to have a disease the invaders cannot treat.
13. How does Karellen explain the invaders' motives for occupying Earth?
(a) To remove humans from Earth, because Earth will ultimately be destroyed.
(b) To protect Earth, because it will serve a higher purpose.
(c) To study humans and teach them the ways of the invaders.
(d) To repopulate Earth with the invaders after humans are gone.
14. Why is Karellen impressed with the whale display in Chapter 13?
(a) Because it is eerily lifelike.
(b) There are no animals the size of a whale on Karellen's home planet.
(c) Because it is more easily transported than a real whale.
(d) Because a whale is evidence of evolution.
15. Why is Karellen sad for his race?
(a) It is trapped by the Overmind.
(b) It is becoming extinct.
(c) It is forced to perform the same tasks on some other planet as it did Earth.
(d) It will never reach the potential of the new race on Earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rashaverak tell George Greggson and Jean Morrel about their children?
2. What does Jan Rodricks come to realize after his return to Earth from the aliens' planet?
3. What do the aliens do while the children develop their powers?
4. What does Jeffrey Greggson dream about after his family has relocated to its new home?
5. What does Jan Rodricks observe that he also saw on the aliens' home planet?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)