|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the new race do with the moon?
(a) Fling it toward the sun.
(b) Make it spin.
(c) Colonize it.
(d) Destroy it.
2. Why is Karellen sad for his race?
(a) It is forced to perform the same tasks on some other planet as it did Earth.
(b) It is trapped by the Overmind.
(c) It will never reach the potential of the new race on Earth.
(d) It is becoming extinct.
3. What is it that Jeffrey Greggson no longer needs as he seems to be changing into another life form?
(a) Human interaction.
4. What does the device Karellen employs in the pressroom do?
(a) It gives those attending the press conference the ability to see the future.
(b) It causes those attending the press conference to accept everything they hear from Karellen.
(c) It discerns the thoughts of all those attending the press conference.
(d) It turns the pressroom into a makeshift planetarium
5. What is the effect of the drug Jan Rodricks injects himself with?
(a) It puts him into a state similar to hibernation.
(b) It gives him superhuman strength.
(c) It gives him a heightened sense of awareness.
(d) It causes hallucinations.
6. Who offers the primary point of view in Chapter 14?
(a) Rupert Boyce.
(b) Jan Rodricks.
(d) Professor Sullivan.
7. The greatest achievement of the people in the island community comes in what field?
(b) Psychic ability.
8. What does Jeffrey Greggson dream about after his family has relocated to its new home?
(a) Other planets and solar systems.
(b) His parents.
(c) The invaders.
9. What are the children involved in that lasts almost a year?
(a) Discovering the invaders' plans for them.
(b) Some sort of ritual dance.
(d) The rebuilding of society in the invaders' image.
10. What do George Greggson and Jean Morrel decide to do after the incidents on New Athens ?
(a) Board a submarine to take them off the island.
(b) Ask to accompany their children on the alien spacecraft.
(c) Stay on the island and die.
(d) Try to stop the destruction of the island.
11. How does Karellen explain mankind's understanding of the invaders' devil-like appearance to Jan Rodricks?
(a) Some people throughout history have had psychic visions of the invaders.
(b) The invaders can morph into whatever appearance they please.
(c) The invaders made cave paintings of themselves in areas where humans had not yet emerged.
(d) The invaders appeared to early man.
12. Who is the founder of the community on the island compared to?
13. What does Jan Rodricks come to realize after his return to Earth from the aliens' planet?
(a) He is the last man on Earth.
(b) He is responsible for what the aliens have done.
(c) He had the opportunity to stop the aliens and failed to do so.
(d) He is an alien himself in human form.
14. Why does Karellen grieve for humans?
(a) Because he had become so attached to them
(b) Because they never reached their full potential.
(c) Because they were destroyed.
(d) Because he had the opportunity to save them but didn't.
15. Whom does George Greggson believe saves his eldest son from the tsunami?
(a) The invaders.
(b) A dolphin.
(c) His mother.
(d) The Coast Guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thanthalteresco?
2. What alarms Jan Rodricks when he returns to Earth?
3. What is the name of George Greggson's daughter?
4. What is Jennifer Greggson able to do as she begins to show evidences of change in Chapter 18?
5. What does Jan Rodricks observe that he also saw on the aliens' home planet?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)