|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the remaining people on New Athens do after the aliens take action with their children?
(a) Band together to defeat the aliens.
(b) Dissolve into mass warfare.
(c) Decide how to live the rest of their lives.
(d) Plot how to rescue their children.
2. How does Karellen explain mankind's understanding of the invaders' devil-like appearance to Jan Rodricks?
(a) The invaders appeared to early man.
(b) The invaders can morph into whatever appearance they please.
(c) Some people throughout history have had psychic visions of the invaders.
(d) The invaders made cave paintings of themselves in areas where humans had not yet emerged.
3. What drug does Jan Rodricks inject himself with after being smuggled on board the alien ship?
(b) Sodium pentathol.
4. Which invader does George Greggson meet with?
5. What is the name of the inactive volcano on the island?
(a) Mt. Doom.
6. Why did the invaders build Utopia?
(a) To squelch human curiousity.
(b) To divert people from their doomed future.
(c) To give people an appreciation for freedom.
(d) As an experiment to see how humans would exist in a perfect world.
7. Charles Yan Sen compares the aliens' cultivation of Earth to:
(b) Human child-rearing practices.
(c) An anthropological experiment.
(d) Raising puppies.
8. What does Jan Rodricks observe that he also saw on the aliens' home planet?
(a) Aliens flying.
(b) A glowing mountain.
(c) A museum.
(d) A giant web of light and color covering the atmosphere.
9. What is the Overmind?
(a) The part of a human's brain that controls the will.
(b) Karellen's true identity.
(c) The collective group mind of the invaders.
(d) The higher power.
10. What does Vindarten do with Jan Rodricks?
(a) Plants his own thoughts in Jan Rodricks' mind.
(b) Explains the invaders' true purpose for visiting Earth.
(c) Tours the planet with him.
(d) Shows Jan Rodricks the future.
11. What does the new race do with the moon?
(a) Destroy it.
(b) Fling it toward the sun.
(c) Make it spin.
(d) Colonize it.
12. What is Jennifer Greggson able to do as she begins to show evidences of change in Chapter 18?
(a) Read her parents' minds.
(b) Speak in the same language as the invaders.
(d) Shake a rattle without touching it.
13. What is the name of the invaders' home planet?
14. Why is Karellen impressed with the whale display in Chapter 13?
(a) There are no animals the size of a whale on Karellen's home planet.
(b) Because a whale is evidence of evolution.
(c) Because it is eerily lifelike.
(d) Because it is more easily transported than a real whale.
15. Who offers the primary point of view in Chapter 14?
(a) Professor Sullivan.
(b) Jan Rodricks.
(c) Rupert Boyce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the island George Greggson and Jean Morrel visit?
2. Who is Vindarten?
3. What does watching what the invaders do with the children remind George Greggson of?
4. What does Jan Rodricks come to realize after his return to Earth from the aliens' planet?
5. What is the effect of the drug Jan Rodricks injects himself with?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)