|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karellen predict about Earth during his press conference in Chapter 14?
(a) Humans will colonize other planets.
(b) The perfect world he helped create will soon be obsolete.
(c) Humans will ultimately destroy themselves.
(d) Humans will leave Earth permanantly.
2. What does Karellen plan to do with the children?
(a) Quarantine them.
(b) Evacuate them.
(c) Leave them with their parents for nurture and care.
(d) Put them in suspended animation.
3. Why does Karellen grieve for humans?
(a) Because he had the opportunity to save them but didn't.
(b) Because they never reached their full potential.
(c) Because they were destroyed.
(d) Because he had become so attached to them
4. Why does Professor Sullivan build a decoy whale?
(a) It's easier to fabricate a decoy than to "stuff" a real whale.
(b) A real whale would be too heavy for the alien ship.
(c) The decoy will be easier for Jan to stow away in.
(d) A real whale would decompose.
5. Charles Yan Sen compares the aliens' cultivation of Earth to:
(a) Human child-rearing practices.
(b) Raising puppies.
(c) An anthropological experiment.
6. Who is the founder of the community on the island compared to?
7. What happens to the Earth?
(a) It is reborn.
(b) It is covered totally by water.
(c) It disintegrates.
(d) It burns.
8. What does Jan Rodricks observe that he also saw on the aliens' home planet?
(a) Aliens flying.
(b) A museum.
(c) A glowing mountain.
(d) A giant web of light and color covering the atmosphere.
9. How does Karellen explain mankind's understanding of the invaders' devil-like appearance to Jan Rodricks?
(a) The invaders made cave paintings of themselves in areas where humans had not yet emerged.
(b) The invaders appeared to early man.
(c) Some people throughout history have had psychic visions of the invaders.
(d) The invaders can morph into whatever appearance they please.
10. What does the new race do with the moon?
(a) Make it spin.
(b) Destroy it.
(c) Fling it toward the sun.
(d) Colonize it.
11. Whom does George Greggson believe saves his eldest son from the tsunami?
(a) A dolphin.
(b) His mother.
(c) The invaders.
(d) The Coast Guard.
12. What does Karellen decide to do as the end of civilization approaches?
(a) Transport people from the Earth to a safe place.
(b) Destroy the world.
(c) Enslave the world.
(d) Address the world.
13. What does Jan Rodricks see has happened to the children of Earth?
(a) They all look identical.
(b) They have all been located together on one continent.
(c) They have been scattered to all the continents of Earth.
(d) They have taken on the appearance of the invaders.
14. What is Jennifer Greggson able to do as she begins to show evidences of change in Chapter 18?
(a) Shake a rattle without touching it.
(b) Read her parents' minds.
(c) Speak in the same language as the invaders.
15. What does Karellen state was the reason for his occupation of Earth?
(a) To stop the advancements in science that would have potentially destroyed Earth.
(b) To unite all the nations of the Earth under a one-world government.
(c) To keep humans from destroying themselves.
(d) To keep humans fron destroying the Earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the invaders plan to return Jan Rodricks to Earth?
2. What is unique about the island George Greggson and Jean Morrel visit?
3. How does Karellen explain the invaders' motives for occupying Earth?
4. What are the children involved in that lasts almost a year?
5. Why do the invaders need to watch George Greggson's and Jean Morrel's children?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)