|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karellen believe can achieve political harmony?
(a) The elimination of illiteracy.
(b) The elimination of religion.
(c) The forceful use of power.
(d) The tactful use of power.
2. What message does Karellen give Pieter Van Ryberg after Van Ryberg shares information about Rikki Stormgren's abduction?
(a) "I will locate Stormgren."
(b) "Use your best judgment."
(c) "I will now communicate only with you."
(d) "We will make our appearance very soon."
3. What is true about Earth in the 21st century?
(a) It has become totally communist.
(b) It has become totally socialist.
(c) It has reached Utopia.
(d) It has begun the colonization of other planets.
4. What is the name of the space shuttle being launched in Chapter 1?
5. What does Karellen do to the extremists when Karellen helps Rikki Stormgren escape?
(a) Transports them to the alien ship.
(b) Causes them to go temporarily blind.
(c) Puts them in a state of temporary paralysis.
(d) Erases their memories.
6. What does Jan Rodricks' mother do?
(a) She is a high school teacher.
(b) She is a college professor.
(c) She is a guidance counselor.
(d) She is an astronomer.
7. In Chapter 1, the United States and Russia are in a race to be the first to do what?
(a) Launch a spacecraft.
(b) Make contact with alien beings.
(c) Use nuclear power in submarines.
(d) Launch a communications satellite.
8. What happens when the spectators first see Karellen?
(a) Some try to attack Karellen.
(b) Some fall to their knees in worship.
(c) Some vomit.
(d) Some faint.
9. What special day does Chapter 5 deal with?
(a) The day the aliens reveal themselves.
(b) The day the aliens begin their methodical destruction of mankind.
(c) The day the aliens go back to their home planet.
(d) The day the aliens give ultimatums to Earth.
10. What does Jan Rodricks see on the way to the ocean lab?
(a) A mutated whale.
(b) Ruins of an alien spaceship.
(c) Unusual marine life.
(d) An alien submarine.
11. What is the role of Rikki Stormgren?
(a) Director of the League of Nations.
(b) President of the United States.
(c) Secretary-General of the United Nations.
(d) Head of the Centers for Disease Control.
12. What type of books does Rupert Boyce collect?
(a) Books on magic, telepathy, and other unexplained phenomena.
(b) Books on human behavior.
(c) Books on animal husbandry.
(d) Science fiction books.
13. How many ships are actually present on or around Earth?
(d) More than 100.
14. What does Chapter 10 describe?
(a) The state of the world in 2050.
(b) The state of the world in 2025.
(c) The state of the world in 2010.
(d) The state of the world in 2001.
15. What biblical story does Jan Rodricks refer to in his farewell letter?
(a) David and Goliath.
(b) Noah's Ark.
(c) Jonah and the Whale.
(d) The Good Samaritan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pierre Duval conclude that Rikki Stormgren can see Karellen?
2. What happens to those invited on board the alien ship?
3. What causes the disillusion of many religious beliefs?
4. In his farewell letter, what does Jan Rodricks express frustration about?
5. What is the name of the boat sighted off the shore of the Pacific island launch site?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)