|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the alien visiting with Rupert Boyce in Chapter 7?
2. Who is Pierre Duval?
(a) Head of the Science Bureau.
(b) Head of the Internal Revenue Service.
(c) Head of National Security.
(d) Head of the League of Nations.
3. Why do the extremists kidnap Rikki Stormgren?
(a) The extremists want to know how Rikki Stormgren communicates with the Overlords.
(b) The extremists want to brainwash Rikki Stormgren so that he will adopt their views.
(c) The extremists want to hide the aliens' only human contact from them.
(d) The extremists want to hold Rikki Stormgren for ransom.
4. What does Chapter 10 describe?
(a) The state of the world in 2001.
(b) The state of the world in 2050.
(c) The state of the world in 2025.
(d) The state of the world in 2010.
5. What does the fax Rikki Stormgren receives from the Freedom League say?
(a) The invaders have no physical form - they are pure energy.
(b) The invaders are humans from the future.
(c) The identity of the invaders is too hideous to reveal.
(d) The invaders are not living beings at all - they are androids.
6. How does sunlight affect the aliens?
(a) They have to wear protective clothing.
(b) They have to wear sunglasses.
(c) They die if exposed to direct sunlight for too long.
(d) They have to wear a special-formula sunscreen.
7. What biblical story does Jan Rodricks refer to in his farewell letter?
(a) Noah's Ark.
(b) Jonah and the Whale.
(c) David and Goliath.
(d) The Good Samaritan.
8. What type of books does Rupert Boyce collect?
(a) Books on human behavior.
(b) Books on magic, telepathy, and other unexplained phenomena.
(c) Books on animal husbandry.
(d) Science fiction books.
9. What message does Karellen give Pieter Van Ryberg after Van Ryberg shares information about Rikki Stormgren's abduction?
(a) "Use your best judgment."
(b) "We will make our appearance very soon."
(c) "I will locate Stormgren."
(d) "I will now communicate only with you."
10. In Chapter 11, what does Jan Rodricks want Professor Sullivan to help him do?
(a) Put a tracking/listening device inside one of the animals the aliens are taking.
(b) Sneak onto the alien spaceship.
(c) Use the submarine to go into hiding.
(d) Catalog the new forms of sea life he has discovered.
11. What is Karellen holding when he exits the spaceship , showing himself for the first time?
(a) A copy of the Declaration of Independence.
(b) A copy of the Bible.
(c) Two humans.
(d) An alien weapon.
12. What happens when the spectators first see Karellen?
(a) Some faint.
(b) Some vomit.
(c) Some fall to their knees in worship.
(d) Some try to attack Karellen.
13. How does the leader of the invaders make first contact with the people of Earth?
(a) He guest hosts on "Saturday Night Live."
(b) He broadcasts over all radio stations worldwide.
(c) He appears on all television broadcasts worldwide.
(d) He appears in a holographic image.
14. What does Karellen believe can achieve political harmony?
(a) The tactful use of power.
(b) The elimination of illiteracy.
(c) The elimination of religion.
(d) The forceful use of power.
15. Where does Jan Rodricks attend school?
(a) The State University of New York.
(b) The University of Cairo.
(c) The University of Phoenix.
(d) The University of Cape Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the spectators experience after a spaceship lands?
2. What is Karellen known as?
3. In Chapter 1, the United States and Russia are in a race to be the first to do what?
4. What is the name of the space shuttle being launched in Chapter 1?
5. Why do the aliens find Jean Morrel valuable?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)