|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jan Rodricks' mother do?
(a) She is a guidance counselor.
(b) She is a college professor.
(c) She is an astronomer.
(d) She is a high school teacher.
2. What do Karellen and his supervisors say they will do in their meeting with Rikki Stormgren in Chapter 4?
(a) Take 50 humans with them to colonize another planet.
(b) Depart the Earth in 50 years, leaving mankind with new technology.
(c) Set foot on Earth and reveal themselves in 50 years.
(d) Destroy the Earth in 50 years if mankind hasn't been able to remain peaceful.
3. What will happen on Earth while Jan Rodricks travels to the alien planet?
(a) Eighty years will have passed.
(b) Time will stand still.
(c) Eighty minutes will have passed.
(d) Time will move backward.
4. What is the result of people working less?
(a) People have more time to devote to family.
(b) People have more time for leisure.
(c) People have become atrophied.
(d) People have more time for scientific research.
5. When Karellen ultimately speaks prior to his revealing himself for the first time, what does he ask for?
(a) A meeting with the president.
(b) Two children.
(c) A camera crew.
(d) A meeting with Rikki Stormgren.
6. What does Rikki Stormgren believe about the two races, humans and Overlords?
(a) He believes the two races will blend to become one.
(b) He believes the two races will ultimately destroy each other.
(c) He believes the two races will coexist on earth.
(d) He believes the two races have met each other in the past.
7. How many ships are actually present on or around Earth?
(a) More than 100.
8. In his farewell letter, what does Jan Rodricks express frustration about?
(a) Being held hostage on Earth.
(b) Being unable to find the invaders' weak points.
(c) Being unsure of his next step.
(d) Being unable to discern the invaders' true motives.
9. Why do the invaders want to keep tabs on Jan Rodricks?
(a) They think that he is a threat to their influence on Earth.
(b) They are suspicious of his interest in their home planet.
(c) They think he is planning an insurrection againt the invaders.
(d) They think he may be showing psychic ability.
10. What are the invaders known as?
11. How does sunlight affect the aliens?
(a) They have to wear protective clothing.
(b) They have to wear sunglasses.
(c) They die if exposed to direct sunlight for too long.
(d) They have to wear a special-formula sunscreen.
12. What purpose do the alien ships on or around Earth serve?
(a) To keep watch over humans.
(b) To ultimately destroy humans.
(c) To intimidate humans.
(d) To encourage humans.
13. What do the journalists and spectators present on the day the aliens reveal themselves want to experience?
(a) A direct word from Karellen.
(b) A first glimpse of the aliens.
(c) A tour of the spaceship.
(d) A photo op with the aliens.
14. In Chapter 1, the United States and Russia are in a race to be the first to do what?
(a) Make contact with alien beings.
(b) Launch a spacecraft.
(c) Use nuclear power in submarines.
(d) Launch a communications satellite.
15. How long does Jan Rodricks feel that it will take him to reach the aliens' home planet?
(a) Six years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rikki Stormgren show Alexander Wainwright in Stormgren's office?
2. What happens to those invited on board the alien ship?
3. Why are professional sports obsolete?
4. How is the leader of the extremist group described?
5. How do the aliens deal with Earth's gravity?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)