|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Germany's fate became clear, how did Alfons feel about their defeat?
2. When 2 Royal Air Force Spitfires attacked German supply vehicles, how many Hitler Youth boys died?
3. Which of the following points of view was not shared by Alfons at the end of the book?
4. What task was given to Alfons by the Americans?
5. Which of the following people did not survive the War?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alfons arrived home, what measures were taken to ensure the Americans wouldn't know he was an officer?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, what promotion did Alfons receive, and why?
3. What did Hitler mean when he told the Hitler Youth leaders that the Hitler Youth was his "purest creation"?
4. How was Alfons finally discovered as a German officer?
5. What was the significance of Alfons's conversations with Leiwitz?
6. What was the difference between the way the Americans treated prisoners of war, and the way they were treated along the Eastern front?
7. What was the purpose of Dr. Robert Ley's visit?
8. Initially following the war, describe Alfons's feelings about the outcome of the war, his allegiance to Hitler, and the millions of people who were killed.
9. When did Alfons meet Hitler and observe that he looked older and frail?
10. What did Alfons learn from fighting the Americans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Alfons joined the Flying Hitler Youth, he met Rabbit, and they became friends. They were both good pilots, and they developed a friendly competition to train well and rise in the ranks. How do you think their competitiveness affected their success while in training? Do you think they genuinely wanted the other to succeed, or were they focused more on their own personal achievements?
Essay Topic 2
Alfons's grandmother played a significant role in his life through her love, guidance, and personal example. Describe their relationship, citing specific examples from the book. In what ways did Alfons value his grandmother's guidance, and in what ways did he choose his own direction?
Essay Topic 3
After France fell in the War, Alfons's family received George, a French prisoner of war, to serve as their farmhand. Describe George's relationship with Alfons's family. How did Alfons feel about George? Compare George and Alfons.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)