|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Wehrmacht bomb the railroad bridge through Burg Strasse?
2. Alfons's friend Franz felt that Germany had more in common with the Americans and the British than with whom?
3. Along the Eastern Front, how many Hitler Youth died?
4. How old was Alfons when he was appointed to command 2800 boys and 80 girls?
5. Who was the head of the German Labor Front?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when over half of the People's Army disappeared?
2. What was the purpose of Dr. Robert Ley's visit?
3. What occurred while Alfons was with his family for Christmas?
4. What was the significance of Alfons's conversations with Leiwitz?
5. Describe Germany's attitude toward the war by late 1944, when many people felt they should not continue to fight.
6. What did Alfons learn from fighting the Americans?
7. Who was Monika Mohn, and what did she say to Alfons?
8. How did Alfons describe the sentence he received, and the work orders from the French?
9. What did Hitler mean when he told the Hitler Youth leaders that the Hitler Youth was his "purest creation"?
10. What was the difference between the way the Americans treated prisoners of war, and the way they were treated along the Eastern front?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Alfons joined the Flying Hitler Youth, he met Rabbit, and they became friends. They were both good pilots, and they developed a friendly competition to train well and rise in the ranks. How do you think their competitiveness affected their success while in training? Do you think they genuinely wanted the other to succeed, or were they focused more on their own personal achievements?
Essay Topic 2
In "Child of Hitler," Alfons Heck shared his personal experience as a leader in the Hitler Youth. Compare Alfons's perception of the Nazi empire while he was a member of the Hitler Youth with his perception many years later after the War. How did his point of view change, and why?
Essay Topic 3
At just ten years old, Alfons attended the Nuremburg Party Congress. He described his personal experience as well as the general experience for any Hitler Youth in attendance. What was their emotional response to the event? How did this event influence the likelihood they would continue their devotion to Hitler? What key messages did Hitler deliver in his memorable speech?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)