|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Alfons when he was appointed to command 2800 boys and 80 girls?
2. What did Leiwitz reveal to Alfons, which he could not believe?
3. Why did the Wehrmacht bomb the railroad bridge through Burg Strasse?
4. Who was the head of the German Labor Front?
5. Why does Alfons claim the Germans continued to fight in late 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Soviet offensive broke loose along the Eastern front and Warsaw fell, what were the effects felt by the German soldiers?
2. Who was Monika Mohn, and what did she say to Alfons?
3. When did Alfons meet Hitler and observe that he looked older and frail?
4. What was the purpose of Dr. Robert Ley's visit?
5. What did Alfons share about his departing words with Leiwitz?
6. What occurred while Alfons was with his family for Christmas?
7. Describe the difference between how Alfons felt about Germany during the Hitler years,and how he felt about those same experiences many years later?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 7, what promotion did Alfons receive, and why?
9. How did Alfons describe the sentence he received, and the work orders from the French?
10. What was the significance of Alfons's conversations with Leiwitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think Alfons Heck wanted to emphasize with the title of the book, "Child of Hitler: Germany in the Days When God Wore a Swastika?" What does this title automatically suggest about Alfons's personal reflections later in life?
Essay Topic 2
Alfons had an eye-opening conversation with Leiwitz. Describe their conversation. What event prompted their conversation? What harsh reality was brought to light for Alfons that day? Did this new information affect his loyalty to Hitler?
Essay Topic 3
In "Child of Hitler," Alfons referenced the "Geneva Convention" when referring to the way the Americans treat their prisoners of war. What is the Geneva Convention? Explain what it is, and why it was developed. Do you believe the Geneva Convention was a positive agreement?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)