|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Alfons spend Christmas in 1944?
2. Why did the American soldiers become suspicious?
3. Who did Alfons realize probably saved his life?
4. Near the end of Chapter 9, Luftwaffe pilots became so enraged that they did what?
5. Immediately following the war, how did Alfons feel about his allegiance to Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Alfons finally discovered as a German officer?
2. What did Alfons share about his departing words with Leiwitz?
3. What occurred while Alfons was with his family for Christmas?
4. When did Alfons meet Hitler and observe that he looked older and frail?
5. How did Alfons describe the sentence he received, and the work orders from the French?
6. When the Soviet offensive broke loose along the Eastern front and Warsaw fell, what were the effects felt by the German soldiers?
7. What did Alfons learn from fighting the Americans?
8. Initially following the war, describe Alfons's feelings about the outcome of the war, his allegiance to Hitler, and the millions of people who were killed.
9. What was the difference between the way the Americans treated prisoners of war, and the way they were treated along the Eastern front?
10. Alfons's men were not enthusiastic about their new orders, but what were the repercussions if they deserted their unit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think Alfons Heck wanted to emphasize with the title of the book, "Child of Hitler: Germany in the Days When God Wore a Swastika?" What does this title automatically suggest about Alfons's personal reflections later in life?
Essay Topic 2
When Alfons joined the Flying Hitler Youth, he met Rabbit, and they became friends. They were both good pilots, and they developed a friendly competition to train well and rise in the ranks. How do you think their competitiveness affected their success while in training? Do you think they genuinely wanted the other to succeed, or were they focused more on their own personal achievements?
Essay Topic 3
After France fell in the War, Alfons's family received George, a French prisoner of war, to serve as their farmhand. Describe George's relationship with Alfons's family. How did Alfons feel about George? Compare George and Alfons.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)