|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements about Roman Follman is true?
2. Why did the Allied bombings never shake the morale of the German people?
3. After France fell, what did the farmers get to do?
4. How did the small towns usually respond to the air raid sirens?
5. Which is a reason why the Nazis were successful at demonizing the Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what significant event occurred during one of Alfons's flights?
2. What did Alfons recall about Kristallnacht?
3. At the end of Chapter 5, what important goal did Alfons achieve?
4. What did Alfons recall about the Nuremburg Party Congress?
5. In Chapter 4, what experiences did Alfons and Gert share together in the Flying Hitler Youth?
6. Why were the Nazis successful in singling out the Jews?
7. When Hitler attacked Poland, how did the German people feel about the possibility of war?
8. How did Alfons feel about the possibility of fighting in the war?
9. What was the general attitude of the Hitler Youth, as described in Chapter 2?
10. What do you think most German people would have predicted about the war at this time? Were they confident or anxious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alfons had an eye-opening conversation with Leiwitz. Describe their conversation. What event prompted their conversation? What harsh reality was brought to light for Alfons that day? Did this new information affect his loyalty to Hitler?
Essay Topic 2
One day while Rabbit was flying, an American enemy aircraft came in on a bombing raid. Sergeant Baum was also flying, and he distracted the American aircraft to save Rabbit. Rabbit was able to land safely, but Sergeant Baum died. How did Rabbit feel about Sergeant Baum's sacrifice? How do you think the experience might have influenced the way he lived his life from that point forward? Why do you think Sergeant Baum was willing to sacrifice himself for Rabbit? What characteristics did Sergeant Baum display in doing so?
Essay Topic 3
In "Child of Hitler," Alfons Heck shared his personal experience as a leader in the Hitler Youth. Compare Alfons's perception of the Nazi empire while he was a member of the Hitler Youth with his perception many years later after the War. How did his point of view change, and why?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)