|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the small towns usually respond to the air raid sirens?
2. Upon arriving in Remisch, what did Alfons immediately ask of his commanding officer?
3. For Alfons, the Hitler Youth rallies of the summer were a nice break from what activity?
4. Nearly a year after the British declared war on Germany, what occurred on May 10, 1940?
5. When Alfons said goodbye to Frau Ermann, how did she respond to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Major General Adolf Galland, and what did he say to the future Luftwaffe pilots?
2. In Chapter 5, what significant event occurred during one of Alfons's flights?
3. In Chapter 3, what did Alfons witness happening to the Jewish people in Wittlich?
4. What happened when an American enemy aircraft attacked while Rabbit was flying?
5. What was Alfons's relationship with Hanna?
6. In Chapter 1, what did Alfons share about his family?
7. Describe Alfons's duties following his attendance at a special weapons training camp.
8. What do you think most German people would have predicted about the war at this time? Were they confident or anxious?
9. At only 16 years old, what had Alfons already achieved?
10. At an early age, what was Alfons conditioned to believe about the Jewish people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alfons described the children of 1930s Germany. They were influenced to follow Hitler from an early age. In what ways did Hitler take advantage of the children's impressionable minds? How did this early influence affect the children as they developed into young adults and then for some into post-war adults?
Essay Topic 2
Alfons's grandmother played a significant role in his life through her love, guidance, and personal example. Describe their relationship, citing specific examples from the book. In what ways did Alfons value his grandmother's guidance, and in what ways did he choose his own direction?
Essay Topic 3
Alfons had an eye-opening conversation with Leiwitz. Describe their conversation. What event prompted their conversation? What harsh reality was brought to light for Alfons that day? Did this new information affect his loyalty to Hitler?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)