|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that one day the Americans would realize they cooperated with the devil and chose the wrong side?
(a) Alfons' grandmother.
2. Why did many people think the Germans continued to fight in late 1944?
(a) It was an effort to renew their energy and optimism.
(b) They deceived themselves into thinking they could win.
(c) To defend themselves.
(d) They wanted to destroy as many Americans as possible.
3. The drive west failed due to what?
(a) Alfons' poor leadership.
(b) Lack of direction.
(c) Fuel shortages and pulverized supply lines.
(d) The fall of Warsaw.
4. Alfons received orders to do what?
(a) Shoot any men in his unit who did not obey his commands.
(b) Retreat with his men.
(c) Join the Luftwaffe.
(d) Step down from his position of leadership.
5. What was the first thing Alfons needed to do when he arrived in Wittlich?
(a) Encourage the men in his unit.
(b) Discipline men who had been insubordinate.
(c) Train the newly drafted soldiers.
(d) Recruit more men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alfons's Aunt burn his uniform and other items that might suggest he was a Hitler Youth?
2. What experience caused Alfons to grow sick?
3. What did Alfons do when over a dozen Sherman tanks arrived in Wittlich?
4. When Alfons was taken to a high position on the Westwall, what was he told?
5. What did Leiwitz encourage Alfons not to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Initially following the war, describe Alfons's feelings about the outcome of the war, his allegiance to Hitler, and the millions of people who were killed.
2. How was Alfons finally discovered as a German officer?
3. Who was Monika Mohn, and what did she say to Alfons?
4. What was the purpose of Dr. Robert Ley's visit?
5. How did the Americans discover that Alfons could speak English, and what was their reaction to this information?
6. What was Alfons's assignment following his orders to retreat from the Westwall?
7. What did Alfons learn from fighting the Americans?
8. What occurred while Alfons was with his family for Christmas?
9. What happened to Alfons when the French arrived to occupy Germany?
10. What was the difference between the way the Americans treated prisoners of war, and the way they were treated along the Eastern front?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)