|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Americans attacked, the first attack was simply an Allied probe, and a half an hour later, what happened?
(a) Two fighter bombers flew over the trenches.
(b) Alfons' men retreated.
(c) The Americans retreated.
(d) Two dozen fighter bombers flew over the trenches.
2. When one of Alfons's men deserted, how did Alfons respond?
(a) He pretended not to notice, because he didn't want to shoot him.
(b) He shot him.
(c) Although he was authorized to shoot him, he didn't have the will to do so.
(d) He had pity on him.
3. Why did Alfons's Aunt burn his uniform and other items that might suggest he was a Hitler Youth?
(a) So that other Hitler Youth would not come there to hide out.
(b) So the Americans would not know he was a German officer.
(c) She was angry, and did not want to remember Germany's losses.
(d) She wais ashamed of Alfons' involvement in Germany's defeat.
4. What news did Alfons hear on the radio?
(a) Hitler had been murdered.
(b) Hitler had chosen Admiral Karl Doenitz to replace him.
(c) Hitler had committed suicide.
(d) Hitler had stepped down.
5. If soldiers surrendered to the Americans, what could they expect?
(a) To be killed.
(b) To stay alive.
(c) To be brutally tortured.
(d) To be released quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did many people think the Germans continued to fight in late 1944?
2. When the head of the German Labor Front arrived to do an inspection, how did he respond to Alfons?
3. Near the end of Chapter 9, Luftwaffe pilots became so enraged that they did what?
4. Whom did Alfons greet when he arrived in Wittlich?
5. When a soldier stopped Alfons to ask him a question, how did Alfons respond to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when over half of the People's Army disappeared?
2. When the Soviet offensive broke loose along the Eastern front and Warsaw fell, what were the effects felt by the German soldiers?
3. What was the significance of Alfons's conversations with Leiwitz?
4. What was the purpose of Dr. Robert Ley's visit?
5. What happened to Alfons when the French arrived to occupy Germany?
6. What was Alfons's assignment following his orders to retreat from the Westwall?
7. Who was Monika Mohn, and what did she say to Alfons?
8. What occurred while Alfons was with his family for Christmas?
9. When did Alfons meet Hitler and observe that he looked older and frail?
10. Explain Alfons's encounter with a major, whose name he could not remember, but who probably saved his life.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)