|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where was Alfons sent, instead of to a P.O.W. camp?
(a) To the Eastern front.
(b) Hamburg, to serve as an interpreter.
(d) To a field hospital to serve as an interpreter.
2. What did Leiwitz reveal to Alfons, which he could not believe?
(a) Hitler had died.
(b) Germany was losing the war.
(c) Alfons was no longer needed, and should go home.
(d) Every day they were killing tens of thousands of Jews in Poland and Russia.
3. Which of the following points of view was not shared by Alfons at the end of the book?
(a) It is devastating that a civilized, humane people became indifferent to brutality.
(b) The Germans allowed children to be deceived and delivered them to Hitler.
(c) The Germans deserve to be forgiven for their brutality.
(d) The Germans were cowards and brutes.
4. Immediately following the war, how did Alfons feel about his allegiance to Hitler?
(a) He was sad they lost the war, but felt no guilt about the millions of people who died.
(b) He didn't care that they lost the war.
(c) He wanted to find Hitler and kill him.
(d) He developed tremendous guilt for the millions of people who died.
5. What did Leiwitz encourage Alfons not to do?
(a) Not to tell anyone what he had shared with him in private.
(b) Not to retreat with his men.
(c) Not to die for Nazi Germany if he could avoid it.
(d) Not to become intimidated by current conditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alfons claim the Germans continued to fight in late 1944?
2. Why was Alfons's grandmother in distress?
3. Alfons's friend Franz felt that Germany had more in common with the Americans and the British than with whom?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 10, to where did Alfons return?
5. What did Alfons begin to feel about Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Alfons meet Hitler and observe that he looked older and frail?
2. Explain Alfons's encounter with a major, whose name he could not remember, but who probably saved his life.
3. Who was Monika Mohn, and what did she say to Alfons?
4. What did Alfons learn from fighting the Americans?
5. Initially following the war, describe Alfons's feelings about the outcome of the war, his allegiance to Hitler, and the millions of people who were killed.
6. When the Soviet offensive broke loose along the Eastern front and Warsaw fell, what were the effects felt by the German soldiers?
7. How did the Americans discover that Alfons could speak English, and what was their reaction to this information?
8. What did Hitler mean when he told the Hitler Youth leaders that the Hitler Youth was his "purest creation"?
9. Alfons's men were not enthusiastic about their new orders, but what were the repercussions if they deserted their unit?
10. What did Franz believe about the Bolsheviks, the Americans, and the British?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)