|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rather than shoot a hostage, what did the French do with Alfons?
(a) Placed him in solitary confinement for 12 days.
(b) Placed him in solitary confinement for 6 months.
(c) Placed him in a prison camp for weeks.
(d) Let him go; they didn't have the resources to hold hostages.
2. What did Alfons begin to feel about Americans?
(a) He didn't trust them.
(b) He deeply resented them.
(c) He admired them.
(d) He wanted to be just like them.
3. What did Leiwitz reveal to Alfons, which he could not believe?
(a) Hitler had died.
(b) Alfons was no longer needed, and should go home.
(c) Germany was losing the war.
(d) Every day they were killing tens of thousands of Jews in Poland and Russia.
4. Which of the following people did not survive the War?
(a) Uncle Gustav.
(b) Uncle Franz.
5. Upon reflection, how did Alfons believe he would have responded, had his eyes been opened to the Holocaust sooner?
(a) It would not have affected his loyalty to Hitler.
(b) He would never have been loyal to Hitler.
(c) He would have left the Hitler Youth.
(d) He would have been sick every night, and unable to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Alfons entered "real action," what was the goal of he and his fellow pilots?
2. With whom did Alfons reunite at the end of Chapter 11?
3. Who was the head of the German Labor Front?
4. Alfons received orders to do what?
5. What did Dr. Robert Ley communicate when he visited Alfons's men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Alfons's encounter with a major, whose name he could not remember, but who probably saved his life.
2. Alfons's men were not enthusiastic about their new orders, but what were the repercussions if they deserted their unit?
3. When the Soviet offensive broke loose along the Eastern front and Warsaw fell, what were the effects felt by the German soldiers?
4. What happened to Alfons when the French arrived to occupy Germany?
5. What did Alfons learn from fighting the Americans?
6. What was Alfons's assignment following his orders to retreat from the Westwall?
7. What did Alfons share about his departing words with Leiwitz?
8. How was Alfons finally discovered as a German officer?
9. How did the Americans discover that Alfons could speak English, and what was their reaction to this information?
10. What did Franz believe about the Bolsheviks, the Americans, and the British?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)