|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Alfons reunite at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) His Uncle Gustav.
(b) Monika Mohn.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His parents.
2. Which of the following statements about the People's Army is false?
(a) They were exceptionally focused and very aggressive.
(b) They were in chaos, and did not have instructions on where to regroup.
(c) They were short on weapons.
(d) Over half of them had disappeared through desertion or incompetence.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 10, to where did Alfons return?
(b) The Eastern Front.
(c) The Luftwaffe.
(d) The Westwall.
4. If a man deserted the unit, what action was Alfons authorized to take?
(a) Send them home.
(b) Send them to punishment camps.
(c) Call the Gestapo to handle it.
(d) Kill them.
5. Who was the head of the German Labor Front?
(a) Albert Speer.
(b) Dr. Robert Ley.
Short Answer Questions
1. The drive west failed due to what?
2. When the head of the German Labor Front arrived to do an inspection, how did he respond to Alfons?
3. When Alfons was invited to a top-secret location by the SS Leadership, which of the following did he not see there?
4. What was the first thing Alfons needed to do when he arrived in Wittlich?
5. What town did the men now have to defend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Germany's attitude toward the war by late 1944, when many people felt they should not continue to fight.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, what promotion did Alfons receive, and why?
3. How did the Americans discover that Alfons could speak English, and what was their reaction to this information?
4. How was Alfons finally discovered as a German officer?
5. How did Alfons describe the sentence he received, and the work orders from the French?
6. What was the significance of Alfons's conversations with Leiwitz?
7. When Alfons arrived home, what measures were taken to ensure the Americans wouldn't know he was an officer?
8. Initially following the war, describe Alfons's feelings about the outcome of the war, his allegiance to Hitler, and the millions of people who were killed.
9. What was Alfons's assignment following his orders to retreat from the Westwall?
10. What did Hitler mean when he told the Hitler Youth leaders that the Hitler Youth was his "purest creation"?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)