|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements about the fanfare and drum platoon is false?
(a) They were awful musicians.
(b) They practiced intensely and regularly.
(c) Alfons was never involved in these activities.
(d) They marched on Sunday mornings.
2. Which of the following statements best describes Alfons's leadership over his unit?
(a) The men in his unit matured slowly under his leadership.
(b) He loved the feeling of power, and he became a tough leader.
(c) He was patient and understanding, because his men were young.
(d) He didn't expect the men to follow his orders 100% of the time.
3. When the Jews were forced to leave Wittlich, to where did they think they were being sent?
(a) To Poland, to make Germany "clean of Jews."
(b) To concentration camps.
(c) They thought they would all be killed before they reached their destination to make Germany "clean of Jews."
(d) To detention centers.
4. In Chapter 4, Alfons had his first doubts about what?
(a) Whether or not Germany should remove the Jews from the country.
(b) His involvement in the Hitler Youth.
(c) His loyalty to his family.
(d) His faith and going into the priesthood.
5. Which of the following statements about the perception of women in Germany during World War II is false?
(a) They were considered second-class citizens.
(b) Hitler taught that women were mothers and guardians of the hearth.
(c) The Hitler Youth were morally strict and did not engage with women.
(d) They were treated as equal to the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite their September 3rd declaration, the Germans believed what about the French and the British?
2. After a month passed, how did the men begin to feel?
3. As the war began, the unease held by the German people disappeared with the success of what?
4. At the end of the 1938 Nuremburg Party Congress, Hitler delivered a speech that had what outcome?
5. What did Alfons say about Germany's enormous losses?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the 1930s, how did children perceive the Hitler Youth?
2. What influence did Alfons' teacher, Herr Becker, have on him at a young age?
3. Describe George, the farmhand.
4. In Chapter 4, what experiences did Alfons and Gert share together in the Flying Hitler Youth?
5. In the late 1930s, what did the German Jews understand would occur to their people as a result of Hitler's leadership?
6. In Chapter 3, what did Alfons witness happening to the Jewish people in Wittlich?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how did Alfons describe the mindset of the Germans, with regard to war?
8. What was Alfons's relationship with Hanna?
9. At only 16 years old, what had Alfons already achieved?
10. In Chapter 4, what did Alfons share about the Hitler Youth's perception of women and their interest in intimate relationships with women?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)