|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did one glance into the sky tell Alfons and the future Luftwaffe pilots?
(a) They were not needed.
(b) There were more than enough pilots available to meet the need.
(c) They were badly needed and thinly spread.
(d) They had been poorly trained.
2. The Nuremburg Party Congress was a week-long celebration of what?
(a) The establishment of the Hitler Youth.
(b) Germany's history and culture, symbolizing its regained sense of significance and strength in the world.
(c) Hitler's birthday.
(d) The anniversary of Hitler's rise to power.
3. By the summer of 1940, why did Alfons doubt that he would be fortunate enough to fight in the war?
(a) There was a labor shortage due to the war, and Alfons needed to work on his grandmother's farm.
(b) Only England remained to be defeated, and he believed that would happen soon.
(c) Only France remained to be defeated, and he believed that would happen soon.
(d) His grandmother was very ill and he needed to be by her side.
4. Alfons's men were trained in what?
(a) Submission to strict discipline.
(b) Digging trenches.
(c) The use of anti-aircraft weaponry.
(d) Flying a new model glider.
5. In 1942, what decision was made at a top-secret conference in Wannsee, a suburb of Berlin?
(a) A decision to allow Jews to decide whether or not they want to remain in Germany.
(b) The "Final Solution."
(c) A decision to deport all Jews from Germany.
(d) The "Cleansing of Germany."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements was true about Alfons's grandmother at the start of the war?
2. Alfons's childhood friend Heinz Ermann could not join the Hitler Youth. Later, what happened to Heinz's family?
3. In 1770, where did Alfons's family emigrate from?
4. What occurred on Kristallnacht?
5. How did Hitler perceive the Hitler Youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alfons's early days with the Flying Hitler Youth.
2. When the Allies landed at Normandy, how did the German people react?
3. At only 16 years old, what had Alfons already achieved?
4. In the 1930s, how did children perceive the Hitler Youth?
5. Who was Major General Adolf Galland, and what did he say to the future Luftwaffe pilots?
6. What was the general attitude of the Hitler Youth, as described in Chapter 2?
7. In Chapter 1, what positive effects of Hitler's leadership did Alfons recall?
8. In the winter of 1943, where was Uncle Gustav, and what was his involvement in the war?
9. Describe Alfons's duties following his attendance at a special weapons training camp.
10. In Chapter 3, what did Alfons witness happening to the Jewish people in Wittlich?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)