|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When 2 Royal Air Force Spitfires attacked German supply vehicles, how many Hitler Youth boys died?
2. What occurred as a result of the Battle of the Bulge?
(a) Most of Alfons' men were killed.
(b) 400 German planes were destroyed.
(c) The Luftwaffe finally claimed Alfons.
(d) Alfons was once again passed over for the Luftwaffe.
3. How old was Alfons when he was appointed to command 2800 boys and 80 girls?
4. Why did many people think the Germans continued to fight in late 1944?
(a) It was an effort to renew their energy and optimism.
(b) To defend themselves.
(c) They deceived themselves into thinking they could win.
(d) They wanted to destroy as many Americans as possible.
5. What did Leiwitz reveal to Alfons, which he could not believe?
(a) Germany was losing the war.
(b) Every day they were killing tens of thousands of Jews in Poland and Russia.
(c) Alfons was no longer needed, and should go home.
(d) Hitler had died.
6. Over the course of the ensuing battles, what became clear to Alfons?
(a) They were going to win.
(b) They were all going to die.
(c) Wittlich would not be conquered.
(d) They were going to lose.
7. When it was announced that Alfons and a group of Nazis would be executed, how did Alfons respond?
(a) He became indifferent because he was tired of fighting.
(b) He accepted his death sentence because he felt he deserved it.
(c) He was angry and tried to escape.
(d) He was enraged and now felt like one of Hitler's victims.
8. When the Americans attacked, the first attack was simply an Allied probe, and a half an hour later, what happened?
(a) Two fighter bombers flew over the trenches.
(b) Two dozen fighter bombers flew over the trenches.
(c) Alfons' men retreated.
(d) The Americans retreated.
9. Which of the following points of view was not shared by Alfons at the end of the book?
(a) The Germans deserve to be forgiven for their brutality.
(b) The Germans were cowards and brutes.
(c) It is devastating that a civilized, humane people became indifferent to brutality.
(d) The Germans allowed children to be deceived and delivered them to Hitler.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 10, what significant event happened in Alfons's life?
(a) He was demoted due to poor leadership.
(b) His grandmother died.
(c) He was promoted to Bannfuhrer.
(d) He was reunited with an old friend.
11. Alfons's friend Franz felt that Germany had more in common with the Americans and the British than with whom?
(a) The French.
(b) The Japanese.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Bolsheviks.
12. What did Alfons later learn about Leiwitz?
(a) He survived the war, and eventually moved to America.
(b) He was shot by the Gestapo for being anti-Nazi.
(c) He was shot by the Allies.
(d) He was Jewish.
13. If a man deserted the unit, what action was Alfons authorized to take?
(a) Send them home.
(b) Call the Gestapo to handle it.
(c) Send them to punishment camps.
(d) Kill them.
14. Why was Alfons's grandmother in distress?
(a) She had lost everything.
(b) Alfons was not helping his family rebuild.
(c) She didn't know the fate of her sons.
(d) Alfons didn't seem to realize the consequences of following Hitler.
15. Who was Lammers?
(a) Alfons' good friend in the Hitler Youth, killed when the Royal Air Force attacked.
(b) Afons' classmate in the Gymnasium who was injured when the Royal Air Force attacked.
(c) An assistant to Alfons, injured when the Royal Air Force attacked.
(d) The commander of all units in the region who died following the Royal Air Force attacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Alfons greet when he arrived in Wittlich?
2. What did Alfons begin to feel about Americans?
3. Alfons received orders to do what?
4. Who was the head of the German Labor Front?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 10, to where did Alfons return?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)