|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Immediately following the war, how did Alfons feel about his allegiance to Hitler?
(a) He developed tremendous guilt for the millions of people who died.
(b) He didn't care that they lost the war.
(c) He wanted to find Hitler and kill him.
(d) He was sad they lost the war, but felt no guilt about the millions of people who died.
2. Who eventually occupied Germany and arrested Alfons?
(a) The Japanese.
(b) The Soviets.
(c) The French.
(d) The Italians.
3. Which of the following was not part of the sentence Alfons received from the French?
(a) One month of hard labor.
(b) Town restriction for 2 years.
(c) 2 years of hard labor.
(d) Expulsion from college.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 10, what significant event happened in Alfons's life?
(a) He was demoted due to poor leadership.
(b) He was promoted to Bannfuhrer.
(c) He was reunited with an old friend.
(d) His grandmother died.
5. How many Americans lost their life in the conquest of Wittlich?
6. What did Alfons do when over a dozen Sherman tanks arrived in Wittlich?
(a) He changed into a pair of coveralls, and buried his Luftwaffe uniform.
(b) Wearing his Luftwaffe uniform, he left the house prepared to die for Germany.
(c) He angrily stormed toward the tanks, demanding they leave Wittlich.
(d) He successfully escaped.
7. When the Americans attacked, the first attack was simply an Allied probe, and a half an hour later, what happened?
(a) Two fighter bombers flew over the trenches.
(b) The Americans retreated.
(c) Alfons' men retreated.
(d) Two dozen fighter bombers flew over the trenches.
8. Why did many people think the Germans continued to fight in late 1944?
(a) They wanted to destroy as many Americans as possible.
(b) It was an effort to renew their energy and optimism.
(c) They deceived themselves into thinking they could win.
(d) To defend themselves.
9. Who was the Minister of Armaments and Ammunitions?
(b) Albert Speer.
(d) Alfons Heck.
10. Why did the American soldiers become suspicious?
(a) They had been in Wittlich for a month and hadn't met a single Nazi.
(b) There were not very many people left in Wittlich.
(c) The people of Wittlich were obedient to their orders.
(d) They found Natzi uniforms buried around Wittlich.
11. What significant event in the life of Alfons's family occurred on Christmas?
(a) They had to be dug out of a pile of rubble following a massive Allied bomber raid.
(b) They all died, following an Allied bomber raid in Wittlich.
(c) Alfons chose loyalty to the Natzis over loyalty to his family.
(d) His grandmother died.
12. Along the Eastern Front, what did many men do to avoid being caught alive?
(a) They retreated.
(b) They committed suicide.
(c) They surrendered.
(d) They faked their deaths.
13. Which of the following people did not survive the War?
(c) Uncle Gustav.
(d) Uncle Franz.
14. When a soldier stopped Alfons to ask him a question, how did Alfons respond to him?
(a) In English.
(b) He refused to speak to him.
(c) He surrendered to the soldier.
(d) In German.
15. When Alfons was invited to a top-secret location by the SS Leadership, which of the following did he not see there?
(a) New gliders.
(b) A platoon of SS soldiers with submachine guns.
(c) Other Hitler Youth leaders.
(d) A locomotive full of anti-aircraft guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. If soldiers surrendered to the Americans, what could they expect?
2. Hitler refused his commanders' pleas to fall back, and when they finally prevailed, what had happened?
3. As Germany's fate became clear, how did Alfons feel about their defeat?
4. Who did Alfons realize probably saved his life?
5. What was the first thing Alfons needed to do when he arrived in Wittlich?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)