|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did many people think the Germans continued to fight in late 1944?
(a) They deceived themselves into thinking they could win.
(b) They wanted to destroy as many Americans as possible.
(c) It was an effort to renew their energy and optimism.
(d) To defend themselves.
2. Hitler refused his commanders' pleas to fall back, and when they finally prevailed, what had happened?
(a) Although some men had died, they managed to protect their armored vehicles.
(b) Hundreds of irreplaceable men died.
(c) The Germans had lost many men, while the Allies had very few casualties.
(d) Tens of thousands of irreplaceable men had died.
3. When the Americans attacked, the first attack was simply an Allied probe, and a half an hour later, what happened?
(a) Two dozen fighter bombers flew over the trenches.
(b) The Americans retreated.
(c) Alfons' men retreated.
(d) Two fighter bombers flew over the trenches.
4. When the head of the German Labor Front arrived to do an inspection, how did he respond to Alfons?
(a) He complimented him on his leadership.
(b) He completely ignored him.
(c) He delivered harsh criticism.
(d) He gave him an Iron Cross II.
5. With whom did Alfons reunite at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) His Uncle Gustav.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His parents.
(d) Monika Mohn.
6. When some of the boys tried to desert the unit, how did Alfons respond?
(a) He let them go, because they were obviously not equipped to fight.
(b) He dealt harshly with them, despite their young age.
(c) He was patient, because he, too, was anxious about the war.
(d) He showed them no mercy, and killed them on the spot.
7. How did Alfons spend Christmas in 1944?
(a) With his men.
(c) With his family.
(d) In the hospital.
8. When 2 Royal Air Force Spitfires attacked German supply vehicles, how many Hitler Youth boys died?
9. Alfons received orders to do what?
(a) Join the Luftwaffe.
(b) Shoot any men in his unit who did not obey his commands.
(c) Retreat with his men.
(d) Step down from his position of leadership.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 10, to where did Alfons return?
(a) The Eastern Front.
(c) The Luftwaffe.
(d) The Westwall.
11. When Alfons was taken to a high position on the Westwall, what was he told?
(a) They had lost the war.
(b) They could not stop the Allies at Westwall.
(c) Hitler had died.
(d) They were in danger of losing the war, but victory was still possible.
12. Whom did Alfons greet when he arrived in Wittlich?
(a) His brother, Rudi.
(b) His grandmother and Aunt Maria.
(c) His grandmother and Uncle Gustav.
(d) His grandmother.
13. Immediately following the war, how did Alfons feel about his allegiance to Hitler?
(a) He wanted to find Hitler and kill him.
(b) He developed tremendous guilt for the millions of people who died.
(c) He was sad they lost the war, but felt no guilt about the millions of people who died.
(d) He didn't care that they lost the war.
14. What experience caused Alfons to grow sick?
(a) Two men and a woman were killed right in front of him.
(b) He was deeply discouraged about the state of the war.
(c) The Hitler Youth received their first rifles.
(d) He was told how civilian saboteurs would be executed.
15. Who was the Minister of Armaments and Ammunitions?
(b) Alfons Heck.
(d) Albert Speer.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Alfons reveal that he was a German officer?
2. How many Americans lost their life in the conquest of Wittlich?
3. The drive west failed due to what?
4. What did Alfons do when over a dozen Sherman tanks arrived in Wittlich?
5. What did Alfons begin to feel about Americans?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)