|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a memory Alfons holds from his childhood?
(a) His parents moved away to a large city in Germany's industrial heartland.
(b) His parents died.
(c) Nazi troops wearing brown shirts marched through the town of Wittlich.
(d) His teacher deliberately discriminated against the Jews in the classroom.
2. Alfons's childhood friend Heinz Ermann could not join the Hitler Youth. Later, what happened to Heinz's family?
(a) They were gassed at Auschwitz.
(b) They chose to become followers of Hitler.
(c) They moved to the countryside.
(d) They moved to a large city in Germany's industrial heartland, Oberhausen.
3. Where was the enemy when Paris fell on August 25th?
(a) A mere 300 kilometers west, 45 minutes flying time.
(b) A mere 100 kilometers west, 20 minutes flying time.
(c) Headed in another direction.
(d) 1000 kilometers west, allowing for sufficient time to prepare.
4. Which of the following was true about the Hitler Youth?
(a) They were not allowed to participate in the Nuremburg Party Congress.
(b) They were the most fanatical Nazi organization.
(c) They were frightened by Hitler and unsure of his rule over Germany.
(d) They were not eager to hear Hitler speak at the Nuremburg Party Congress.
5. Alfons usually served mass while wearing what?
(a) His full uniform beneath his altar boy robes, but without his dagger.
(b) His altar boy robes.
(c) His full uniform, including belt and dagger, beneath his altar boy robes.
(d) His full uniform, belt and dagger.
6. Which of the following people were allowed to join the Jungvolk, the Hitler Youth's junior branch?
(a) Children under the age of six.
(b) Handicapped children.
(c) Jewish children.
(d) Aryan children.
7. After a month passed, how did the men begin to feel?
8. What action was taken regarding products not essential to the war?
(a) No action was taken, so as not to discourage the German people.
(b) They were produced in larger quantities, to convince the German people that everything was okay.
(c) They were produced in smaller quantities.
(d) They were no longer produced.
9. Who attacked many of Germany's big cities?
(a) The American 8th Air Force.
(b) The American 8th Air Force and the British Royal Air Force.
(c) The French.
(d) The British Royal Air Force.
10. Nearly a year after the British declared war on Germany, what occurred on May 10, 1940?
(a) Nazi troops marched across the borders of France, Luxembourg, Belgium and Holland.
(b) Natzi troops attacked Britain.
(c) British and French troops marched across the border of Germany.
(d) French troops marched across the border of Germany.
11. Which is a reason why the Nazis were successful at demonizing the Jews?
(a) Hitler claimed they were a threat to the Germans and would eventually rule the country if they were not stopped.
(b) The German Jews were not Catholic.
(c) Hitler declared that the Jews were evil.
(d) Hitler was able to tie the threat of communist revolution to the Jewish race.
12. What was the Gymnasium?
(a) A highly respected position within the Hitler Youth.
(b) A Natzi training academy to which only 5% gained admittance.
(c) A special association for those who achieved top honors in school.
(d) The highest track of German education to which only 6% gained admittance.
13. Who sacrificed his life for a comrade?
(b) Sergeant Baum.
14. Alfons was ordered to the Westwall, and his duties included all of the following, except what?
(a) Freeing regular troops for front line duty.
(b) Maintaining strict discipline with his men.
(c) Manning anti-aircraft batteries.
(d) Serving as an assistant to Roman.
15. Where was Alfons Heck born?
(a) Wittlich, Germany.
(c) Oberhausen, Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Alfons said goodbye to Frau Ermann, how did she respond to him?
2. The Nuremburg Party Congress was a week-long celebration of what?
3. What did Manfred invite Alfons to do?
4. When the concentration camps first began, what was their purpose?
5. By 1938, which of the following statements about the Gestapo was false?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)