|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If Roman were to have disobeyed Alfons's orders, how would Alfons have responded?
(a) He would have overlooked it, because they were friends.
(b) He would have fired him as his assistant.
(c) He would have sent him to a punishment camp.
(d) He would have quickly forgiven him.
2. Alfons was assigned to a new camp where his flying time was limited due to what?
(a) He was considered too low in rank.
(b) Steady rain.
(c) He became ill.
(d) There were not enough gliders for all 60 men.
3. Who was made Manfred's successor?
4. What did Alfons say about Germany's enormous losses?
(a) "Not even the most brilliant propaganda could gloss over our enormous losses."
(b) "Propaganda would surely ease the concerns over our enormous losses."
(c) "Josef Goebbels tried very hard to cover our enormous losses."
(d) "Propaganda always reassured the people, and this time was no different."
5. Alfons quickly moved up the ranks, from the lowest class A to class B. What responsibility did he earn?
(a) He no longer had to endure test flights.
(b) He automatically got to bypass the next rank, class C.
(c) He could fly any glider he chose.
(d) He was now in charge of fifteen of his peers.
6. By whom was Alfons primarily raised?
(a) His parents.
(b) The family of his friend Heinz Ermann.
(c) His Aunt and Uncle.
(d) His grandparents.
7. Which of the following statements about Alfons's family's farmhand is false?
(a) He was a great worker.
(b) He was not a loyal Frenchman.
(c) He was a Parisian baker.
(d) He was a fiercely loyal Frenchman.
8. In the winter of 1943, what was the condition of Germany?
(a) Fewer men were being called up to fight.
(b) The country was growing poorer.
(c) The people felt encouraged.
(d) The country had never been more prosperous.
9. Which statement accurately summarizes Chapter 1 of the book?
(a) Alfons Heck shared about his family, his hometown, and the rise of Hitler in the 1930s.
(b) Alfons Heck shared about his hometown and the start of World War II.
(c) Alfons Heck shared about his family and the outcome of World War II.
(d) Alfons Heck shared about his family, his hometown, and the start of World War II.
10. Hitler took advantage of what quality of the German people?
(a) They were naturally obedient.
(b) They were prosperous farmers.
(c) They were very religious.
(d) They were very independent.
11. In Chapter 4, Alfons had his first doubts about what?
(a) His involvement in the Hitler Youth.
(b) His faith and going into the priesthood.
(c) Whether or not Germany should remove the Jews from the country.
(d) His loyalty to his family.
12. What happened during one of Alfons's training flights?
(a) He purposely ignored Winkler's signal, and missed the field.
(b) He had a terrible flight, missed the field, and wrecked a plane.
(c) He had the best flight of his career, and landed perfectly.
(d) Winkler forgot to signal him, and Alfons missed the field.
13. The carefree life of the Hitler Youth ended when?
(a) September 1, 1940 when Hitler attacked Poland.
(b) September 1, 1939 when Hitler attacked Russia.
(c) September 1, 1939 when Hitler attacked Poland.
(d) September 1, 1939 when Poland attacked Germany.
14. Which of the following statements was true in 1942?
(a) Erwin Rommel lost the battle of El Alamein.
(b) Erwin Rommel successfully entered Egypt.
(c) Erwin Rommel won the battle of El Alamein.
(d) The Natzi's were beginning to lose their power.
15. What occurred for Alfons, Gert, and Rabbit together?
(a) They were promoted.
(b) They became very ill.
(c) They were deployed in the war.
(d) They were placed on the same flight team.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did basic training begin for membership in the army of the Third Reich?
2. Where was Alfons Heck born?
3. Which of the following statements about the commander, Winkler, is false?
4. Despite their September 3rd declaration, the Germans believed what about the French and the British?
5. Many people avoided discussions about the possibility of war, including in the Gymnasium. Despite this, what occurred over time?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)