|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did one glance into the sky tell Alfons and the future Luftwaffe pilots?
(a) They had been poorly trained.
(b) There were more than enough pilots available to meet the need.
(c) They were badly needed and thinly spread.
(d) They were not needed.
2. By the summer of 1940, why did Alfons doubt that he would be fortunate enough to fight in the war?
(a) There was a labor shortage due to the war, and Alfons needed to work on his grandmother's farm.
(b) Only France remained to be defeated, and he believed that would happen soon.
(c) Only England remained to be defeated, and he believed that would happen soon.
(d) His grandmother was very ill and he needed to be by her side.
3. What occurred for Alfons, Gert, and Rabbit together?
(a) They were deployed in the war.
(b) They were promoted.
(c) They were placed on the same flight team.
(d) They became very ill.
4. Who attacked many of Germany's big cities?
(a) The American 8th Air Force and the British Royal Air Force.
(b) The British Royal Air Force.
(c) The American 8th Air Force.
(d) The French.
5. If Roman were to have disobeyed Alfons's orders, how would Alfons have responded?
(a) He would have sent him to a punishment camp.
(b) He would have overlooked it, because they were friends.
(c) He would have fired him as his assistant.
(d) He would have quickly forgiven him.
6. Alfons was assigned to a new camp where his flying time was limited due to what?
(a) He became ill.
(b) There were not enough gliders for all 60 men.
(c) He was considered too low in rank.
(d) Steady rain.
7. What was the name of Alfons's family's farmhand?
(a) He refused to tell them his name.
8. In 1942, what decision was made at a top-secret conference in Wannsee, a suburb of Berlin?
(a) The "Cleansing of Germany."
(b) A decision to allow Jews to decide whether or not they want to remain in Germany.
(c) The "Final Solution."
(d) A decision to deport all Jews from Germany.
9. Which of the following people was not a member of Alfons's family?
10. Unlike Hitler, the German people were not eager to go to war for what reason?
(a) They didn't think the country was properly trained or equipped for war.
(b) They wanted to be a peaceful nation.
(c) They remembered the terrible slaughter of World War I.
(d) They were afraid they would lose Hitler as their leader.
11. Why did many people who owned farms begin to love Hitler?
(a) They were afraid Hitler would take away their land if they didn't support him.
(b) They gave in to the pressure they felt from the Nazis.
(c) They were generally very passive and obedient people.
(d) They began to prosper when Hitler restricted foreign food imports.
12. Which of the following was true about the children of Germany in the 1930s?
(a) They were not required to follow Hitler if they don't want to.
(b) They hoped it would not be required that they join the Hitler Youth.
(c) They were scared of Hitler and the Hitler Youth.
(d) They were eager to join the Hitler Youth, for its action and glamor.
13. In the fall of 1943, Alfons was promoted to administrative rank while what occurred for Gert?
(a) He was promoted 3 steps ahead of Alfons.
(b) He received the same promotion as Alfons.
(c) He was promoted a step ahead of Alfons.
(d) He did not receive a promotion.
14. How old was Alfons when he passed the exam to become an officer cadet of the Luftwaffe?
15. In what way did Alfons's elementary school teacher, Herr Becker, deliberately discriminate against the Jews in his classroom?
(a) He did not allow them to eat their lunch.
(b) He made them wash the floors.
(c) He ignored them.
(d) He made them sit in the corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Germany in the 1930s, which of the following statements was false?
2. Which of the following statements about the fanfare and drum platoon is false?
3. Upon arriving in Remisch, what did Alfons immediately ask of his commanding officer?
4. Who was flying when an American enemy aircraft came in on a bomber raid?
5. What was one complaint of Catholic parents with regard to the Hitler Youth?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)