|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what group did the White Caps splinter?
2. How much money does Ballard ask the group of men for all of his watches?
3. What does Ballard Leave outside when he goes into Ralph's house?
4. What does the boy do to precipitate Ballard's shooting him?
5. Where does Ballard leave his rifle before going into the town on the other side of the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ballard settle at the end of Chapter 30 (pp. 106-108)?
2. Describe the story Fate tells about the 1899 hanging.
3. Why does Ballard return several times to the idling car?
4. What happens to Ballard when he tries to cross the creek?
5. How were the White Caps run out of Sevier?
6. What does Ballard do on his trip into town?
7. What does Ballard realize about the Ralph's idiot baby?
8. Why does Ballard decide to move the dead girl's body to an upper room?
9. What crime problem is the Sheriff facing in this section?
10. How does Ballard's situation change in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Lester Ballard's interactions with the Sleeping Woman on Frog Mountain codify his attitude toward women and his desire to have them in a lifeless state. In the essay, compare and contrast his interaction with her to his interaction with Ralph's daughter. Also compare his defense to the police with her to his defense to the posse at the end of the novel. Pay attention to the terms he uses to describe her.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1.) Analyze the character of Fate. How does he represent both a bygone set of values and an informed and resigned world-weariness? What does he mean both to the people of Sevier County and the themes of the novel.
2.) How is law enforcement viewed in the novel? Is it effective or principled? Using the Sheriff, Deputy, and Fate as frames for your essay, examine the functional purpose of the police in the novel.
3.) When the Sheriff speaks of Ballard and the break-in at the gun shop and Fate speaks of the White Caps, the focus seems to be on order in a wild society. Write an essay about order, and whether it is a reasonable moral system int he novel. Should the goal for principled men merely be the maintenance of order?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Greer and his tenuous relationship with Ballard. Divide the essay into two parts. The first should focus on Greer's actually relationship with Ballard, confined primarily to one meeting on the street. The second and more extensive portion should consist of Ballard's private delusional feud with him How does this culminate? How much do we actually know about Ballard's nemesis?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)