|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ballard do in the Spring?
2. About what do the Sheriff and the Deputy question Ballard?
3. From what group did the White Caps splinter?
4. What does Ballard have hanging from his belt at the beginning of this section?
5. Where does Ballard shoot the girl in Chapter 43 (pp. 149-153)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the police catch Kirby selling jars of whiskey?
2. Why does Ballard return several times to the idling car?
3. Describe Ballard's second interview by the police.
4. How does Ballard react to Ralph's daughter's rejection of his advances?
5. What point does Mr. Fox make to Ballard about his debt to the grocery?
6. How does Ballard's situation change in this section?
7. Where does Ballard settle at the end of Chapter 30 (pp. 106-108)?
8. How were the White Caps run out of Sevier?
9. How does Ballard subsist as the harsh winter descends?
10. Why does Ballard go to Blount County?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Certain chapters of the novel are told from a first-person point-of-view and involve Sevier residents attempting to explain Ballard's past. Write an essay charting Ballard's transition form victim to bully to societal tumor, framing it in discussion of the following chapters:
Part 1) The man who discusses Ballard's loss of his mother and father.
Part 2) The man who tells the story of Ballard as a child bully.
Part 3) The man who talks about Ballard's younger jobs.
Essay Topic 2
Child of God, while a violent and horrific narrative, contains scenes of bleak humor, centering generally on Lester Ballard's inability to function effectively in normal society. Write an essay encompassing three of these episodes:
Part 1) Examine the interchange that Ballard has with the Blacksmith. How does this scene reflect a rare occurrence of a mainstream individual attempting to relate to Ballard? How does Ballard respond?
Part 2) Consider Ballard's exchange with Mr. Fox at the grocery. How does this interchange reflect a general societal attitude toward Ballard within Sevier County, and is Ballard's reaction to Fox a microcosm of his reaction to Sevier in general?
Part 3) In Blount County, Ballard tries to sell three purloined watches to a group of men, who scam him. What does this scene say about Ballard's ultimate lack of control in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Dumpkeeper. This essay should be comprised of three paragraphs. The first should focus on his living situation and how it reflects a weakness of resolve. The second should involve his crimes. In what ways is he as perverse as Ballard? The final paragraph should be an examination of the enabling relationship that he and Ballard have.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)