|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Sevier County pocketknife society" do at their meetings outside the police station?
2. Which of the following is not a charge that has been lodged against Ballard?
3. According to CB, what might not be worth fifty cents in a year?
4. How many days is Ballard kept in jail?
5. What type of bird does Ballard chase down while walking to a friend's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Darfuzzle give Ballard?
2. How do people react to Ballard in the Six-Mile Church?
3. How does the Sleeping Woman react to Ballard at the police station and what transpires?
4. How does Ballard win three prizes?
5. Why does the unnamed man in Chapter 5 (pp. 17-18) decide he does not like Lester Ballard?
6. Describe Lester Ballard.
7. How is Lester Ballard's neck injured?
8. Describe the Dumpkeeper's situation at home.
9. What process does the blacksmith use to sharpen Ballard's axe head?
10. Describe the scene created by McCarthy at the beginning of the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lester Ballard's interaction with animals is in many ways a reflection of his interaction with human beings. Write an essay about his individual meetings with animals and how they coincide with later meetings with people (his trailing his gun on a cat as he does Greer, his accidentally killing the cow as he thoughtlessly assaults the Sleeping Woman). From these individual meetings, develop a thesis about his development - or lack thereof - of relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the Dumpkeeper. This essay should be comprised of three paragraphs. The first should focus on his living situation and how it reflects a weakness of resolve. The second should involve his crimes. In what ways is he as perverse as Ballard? The final paragraph should be an examination of the enabling relationship that he and Ballard have.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1.) Analyze the character of Fate. How does he represent both a bygone set of values and an informed and resigned world-weariness? What does he mean both to the people of Sevier County and the themes of the novel.
2.) How is law enforcement viewed in the novel? Is it effective or principled? Using the Sheriff, Deputy, and Fate as frames for your essay, examine the functional purpose of the police in the novel.
3.) When the Sheriff speaks of Ballard and the break-in at the gun shop and Fate speaks of the White Caps, the focus seems to be on order in a wild society. Write an essay about order, and whether it is a reasonable moral system int he novel. Should the goal for principled men merely be the maintenance of order?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)