|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the car that the The Sheriff and his Deputy inspect at the beginning of this section?
(a) Inside a storefront
(b) The side of the road
(c) A ravine
(d) Being dragged from the river
2. What natural disaster besets the area in this section?
(a) An earthquake
(b) A flood
(c) A wild fire
(d) A tornado
3. Where does Ballard toss his rifle when the Sheriff stops him on the road?
(a) In the bushes
(b) In a creek
(c) Into the road
(d) At the Sheriff's car
4. Where is Ralph's daughter when Ballard shoots her?
(a) In her car
(b) In the bathroom
(c) In the back yard
(d) In the front room
5. What does Ballard do in the Spring?
(a) Wanders the woods naked
(b) Buries some of his bodies
(c) Plants some tomatoes
(d) Covers his tracks
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ballard do with the girl's body at the end of Chapter 27 (pp. 93-95)?
2. What is the name of the owner of the grocer's?
3. Which of Ballard's friends has recently been picked up by the police?
4. What animal is living in a car outside the Dumpkeeper's house?
5. How much money does Ballard ask the group of men for all of his watches?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ballard subsist as the harsh winter descends?
2. Why does Ballard decide to move the dead girl's body to an upper room?
3. What point does Mr. Fox make to Ballard about his debt to the grocery?
4. Describe the story Fate tells about the 1899 hanging.
5. Why does Ballard return several times to the idling car?
6. What does Ballard find in the running car on the side of the road?
7. In what state is the town in this section?
8. Describe the inside of Ballard's cave.
9. Describe Ballard's second interview by the police.
10. What wakes Lester Ballard the night after his shopping spree in town?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)