|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Walker hand off to the Sheriff?
(b) A bible
(d) A rifle
2. What sound does Ballard hear in the distance as he walks through the woods in Chapter 39 (pp. 136-137)?
(a) Dogs barking
(b) A siren
(c) An axe chopping
(d) A scream
3. According to Fate, how long does it take a hanged man to die?
(a) About 7 minutes
(b) 4-5 minutes
(c) 10-15 minutes
(d) It is instant
4. How are the two dead people in the car positioned when Ballard discovers them?
(a) The are seated next to each other in the front seats
(b) The man lies on top of the woman
(c) They lie in a spooning position in the back
(d) The woman is straddling the man
5. What is the name of the owner of the grocer's?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lester Ballard do while having sex with the dead girl?
2. Which of the following is not something that Ballard does to the woman's body the night after his shopping excursion?
3. Which of the following is not something Ballard salvages from the fire?
4. About what do the Sheriff and the Deputy question Ballard?
5. What natural disaster besets the area in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ballard when he tries to cross the creek?
2. How do the police catch Kirby selling jars of whiskey?
3. Where does Ballard settle at the end of Chapter 30 (pp. 106-108)?
4. Why does Ballard return several times to the idling car?
5. What wakes Lester Ballard the night after his shopping spree in town?
6. What does Ballard do at his old property, now Greer's?
7. In what state is the town in this section?
8. Describe the story Fate tells about the 1899 hanging.
9. How does Ballard react to Ralph's daughter's rejection of his advances?
10. Describe the inside of Ballard's cave.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)