|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ballard steal from Greer's property?
(a) A slaughtered pig
(b) A bail of hay
(c) A scythe
(d) A hen
2. Where does Ballard have sex with the newly killed girl?
(a) On the side of the road
(b) In his cave
(c) In the bed of the truck
(d) In the woods
3. Who comes to Ballard's shack the day after he finds the dead girl?
(a) The Sheriff
(b) Two boys
(c) The Dumpkeeper
(d) A surveyor
4. What does Mrs. Walker hand off to the Sheriff?
(b) A rifle
(c) A bible
5. What does Ballard leave on his mattress?
(a) Ralph's daughter's body
(b) His rifle
(c) His cookware
(d) His stuffed animals
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fate, how long does it take a hanged man to die?
2. Which star cluster does Ballard look upon from his cave after returning to the mountain?
3. When, according to Fate, is the last time the whole town flooded?
4. In what year was Fate born?
5. How are the two dead people in the car positioned when Ballard discovers them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ballard react to Ralph's daughter's rejection of his advances?
2. Why does Ballard return several times to the idling car?
3. How do the police catch Kirby selling jars of whiskey?
4. How does Ballard subsist as the harsh winter descends?
5. What wakes Lester Ballard the night after his shopping spree in town?
6. Why does Ballard go to Blount County?
7. Describe the inside of Ballard's cave.
8. How is Ballard spooked by his own footprints?
9. What point does Mr. Fox make to Ballard about his debt to the grocery?
10. Describe Ballard's second interview by the police.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)