|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ballard leave in Ralph's house when he burns it down?
(a) The disfigured child
(b) The daughter's body
(c) His wallet
(d) His rifle
2. What sound does Ballard hear in the distance as he walks through the woods in Chapter 39 (pp. 136-137)?
(a) Dogs barking
(b) A scream
(c) An axe chopping
(d) A siren
3. Where is the car that the The Sheriff and his Deputy inspect at the beginning of this section?
(a) The side of the road
(b) Inside a storefront
(c) A ravine
(d) Being dragged from the river
4. What animal is living in a car outside the Dumpkeeper's house?
(a) A turkey
(b) A racoon
(c) A fox
(d) A tabby cat
5. Where is Ralph's daughter when Ballard shoots her?
(a) In the back yard
(b) In her car
(c) In the bathroom
(d) In the front room
6. What does Ballard do with the girl's body at the end of Chapter 27 (pp. 93-95)?
(a) Puts her on ice
(b) Hoists her to the attic
(c) Disguises her as a pile of rags
(d) Buries her behind the house
7. How does the Sheriff travel around the town in Chapter 45 (pp. 160-168)?
(a) On foot
(b) By helicopter
(c) A police cruiser
(d) A rowboat
8. Who does Ballard run into while in town?
(b) The Sleeping Woman
(d) The Sheriff
9. How many bodies are in the car the Sheriff inspects?
10. How much money does Ballard eventually get for all of his watches?
(a) Fourteen dollars
(b) Twenty-one dollars
(c) Seventeen dollars
(d) Eight dollars
11. What does Ballard leave on his mattress?
(a) His cookware
(b) His rifle
(c) His stuffed animals
(d) Ralph's daughter's body
12. Who comes to Ballard's shack the day after he finds the dead girl?
(a) The Sheriff
(b) A surveyor
(c) The Dumpkeeper
(d) Two boys
13. In Ralph's house, what surrounds the stove?
(a) Rings of soot and grease
(c) Cinder blocks
(d) Wet rages
14. When, according to Fate, is the last time the whole town flooded?
15. After moving to Frog Mountain, who does Ballard spend many nights watching?
(a) The Sheriff
(b) The Dumpkeeper's blonde daughter
(c) Ralph's daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fate, how long does it take a hanged man to die?
2. What is the only thing different about the car when Ballard returns to later in the day?
3. What does Ballard blame for the burning down of his house?
4. Which of the following is not something that Ballard does to the woman's body the night after his shopping excursion?
5. How much money does Ballard owe the grocer?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)