|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lester intimate to Ralph's daughter?
(a) That she wants him
(b) That her father touches her
(c) That she is a prostitute
(d) That the disfigured child is hers
2. What does Ballard do with the girl's body at the end of Chapter 27 (pp. 93-95)?
(a) Puts her on ice
(b) Buries her behind the house
(c) Disguises her as a pile of rags
(d) Hoists her to the attic
3. What is the only thing different about the car when Ballard returns to later in the day?
(a) It is gone
(b) The radio is turned back on
(c) The motor has stopped running
(d) It is empty
4. Who does Ballard run into while in town?
(a) The Sleeping Woman
(b) The Sheriff
5. Which of the following is not an animal listed as a cohabitant of the woods with Ballard?
(c) Black bear
6. How many daughters are still living with the Dumpkeeper?
7. Where is Ralph's daughter when Ballard shoots her?
(a) In the front room
(b) In the bathroom
(c) In the back yard
(d) In her car
8. What is the last thing that Ballard carries to his new cave?
(a) His mattress
(b) A corpse
(c) His clothing
(d) His cookware
9. How many wrist watches is Ballard trying to sell?
10. When, according to Fate, is the last time the whole town flooded?
11. Which of Ballard's friends has recently been picked up by the police?
(b) The Dumpkeeper
12. What does Ballard ask Ralph's daughter to do?
(a) Lend him some money
(b) Show him her breasts
(c) Dance with him
(d) Give him the disfigured child
13. Which star cluster does Ballard look upon from his cave after returning to the mountain?
14. In what year was Fate born?
15. As Ballard busies himself in the woods, who does he imagine speaking to?
(a) The dead girl from the car
(b) The Sheriff
(d) His father
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ballard leave his rifle before going into the town on the other side of the mountain?
2. What season is setting in in Chapter 39 (pp. 136-137)?
3. According to the grocer, how long will it take Ballard to pay off his debt at the present rate?
4. What does Ballard do in the Spring?
5. What does Ballard mix with the squirrels to make a stew?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)