|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What target does Ballard shoot at the fair's shooting gallery?
(a) A card
(b) A bowling pin
(c) A bullseye
(d) A silhouette cutout
2. What animal are the hounds chasing in Chapter 22 (pp. 68-69)?
(a) A deer
(b) A mallard
(c) A fox
(d) A boar
3. To what animal are the Dumpkeeper's daughters regularly compared?
4. Which of the following is not one of the terms townspeople assign to Ballard at the end of this section?
5. Under what animal does the Thantham boy build a fire?
(a) A mule
(b) A horse
(c) An ox
(d) A steer
6. What is the name of Bill Parsons' sick old bird dog?
7. What is Lester Ballard's only food for dinner on his first night in his new house?
(b) A chocolate bar
8. Where does Ballard's friend's daughter go when she leaves the house?
(a) The outhouse
(b) The woods
(c) The bus
(d) Ballard's friend's truck
9. Where does Ballard figure John goes after leaving jail?
(a) He does not know
(b) Back home
(c) To county prison
(d) To execution
10. How did Lester Ballard's father die?
(a) He died fighting in the war
(b) He hanged himself
(c) He died of cancer
(d) He died in a car crash
11. What warning is the speaker given by the animal's owner before beginning the boxing match?
(a) Don't let up
(b) Don't make any sudden moves
(c) Don't turn your back on him
(d) Don't hit him too hard
12. Where does Ballard look at wanted posters?
(a) The post office
(b) The library
(c) The city jail
(d) The park bulletin board
13. What work did Ballard do to make money to buy his rifle?
(a) Digging a ditch
(b) Plowing fields
(c) Setting fence posts
(d) Restocking the general store
14. What is the first prize that Ballard wins at the fair?
(a) A stuffed tiger
(b) A goldfish
(c) A teddy bear
(d) A toy guitar
15. Which of the following is not among the refuse of the dump?
(a) Rotted fishing boats
(b) Truck parts
(c) Bicycle parts
(d) Old water heaters
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ballard's friend's wife bring Ballard while he waits for her husband?
2. What does the sleeping woman throw at Ballard?
3. Why can't Fred Kirby find his jar of whiskey?
4. How many rooms is Lester Ballard's new house?
5. How much does the blacksmith charge to sharpen and repair Ballard's axe?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)