|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what are the musicians and auctioneer compared at the end of Act 1?
(a) A line of fence posts
(b) A shooting gallery
(c) A band of thieves
(d) The pied piper and his rats
2. What is the Dumpkeeper's name?
3. What does Gresham sing when they bury his wife?
(a) The Chickenshit Blues
(b) Camptown Ladies
(c) Gaily the Trombadour
(d) Tramp! Tramp! Tramp!
4. What animals do the Dumpkeeper and Ballard shoot together?
5. The blacksmith warns that if the axe metal turns a certain color, the axe is ruined. What color does he say?
6. In Chapter 21 (pp. 66-67) what drifts into Ballard's shack through the breaks in the wall?
7. Who punched Lester Ballard unconscious at the auction?
(c) Sheriff Wade
8. What plastic animals are used in the first game that Ballard plays at the fair?
9. What does the sleeping woman throw at Ballard?
(a) An apple
(b) A stick
(c) A rock
(d) Her shoe
10. What does Ballard find in the boards of the house his first night there?
(b) A black snake
(c) A possum
(d) A boar's skull
11. Where does Ballard figure John goes after leaving jail?
(a) Back home
(b) He does not know
(c) To county prison
(d) To execution
12. What does Ballard's friend's wife bring Ballard while he waits for her husband?
13. What is Ballard's friend's name?
14. To what animal are the Dumpkeeper's daughters regularly compared?
15. What do the Dumpkeeper and Lester Ballard drink together?
(b) Popskull whiskey
(c) Pure mash whiskey
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lester Ballard's friend Darfuzzle speaks in a garbled way?
2. What is Lester Ballard's only food for dinner on his first night in his new house?
3. What free gifts are being handed out at the auction?
4. What words does John sing from his cell regularly?
5. What noise keeps Lester Ballard awake at night?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)