|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what animal are the Dumpkeeper's daughters regularly compared?
2. Where does Fate inspect the car with the couple in the story of Chapter 15 (pp.44-45)?
(a) Jefferson County
(b) Grainger County
(c) Sevier County
(d) Frog Mountain
3. How many births did the Dumpkeeper's daughters have last summer?
4. Where does Ballard's friend's daughter go when she leaves the house?
(a) The bus
(b) Ballard's friend's truck
(c) The woods
(d) The outhouse
5. What does the blacksmith do with the axe-blade after cooling the metal?
(a) He throws it out because it's cracked
(b) He grinds it
(c) He fits it for a handle
(d) He polishes it
6. What does Gresham sing when they bury his wife?
(a) Tramp! Tramp! Tramp!
(b) Gaily the Trombadour
(c) Camptown Ladies
(d) The Chickenshit Blues
7. To what are the musicians and auctioneer compared at the end of Act 1?
(a) A band of thieves
(b) A shooting gallery
(c) A line of fence posts
(d) The pied piper and his rats
8. Under what animal does the Thantham boy build a fire?
(a) A steer
(b) A horse
(c) A mule
(d) An ox
9. Why does Lester Ballard's friend Darfuzzle speaks in a garbled way?
(a) He is developmentally impaired
(b) He is German
(c) He has a collapsed jaw
(d) He is deaf
10. Who finally subdues the Sleeping Woman at the police station?
(a) The Deputy
(b) The Sheriff
11. What is the first prize that Ballard wins at the fair?
(a) A toy guitar
(b) A teddy bear
(c) A goldfish
(d) A stuffed tiger
12. Which of the following is not a charge that has been lodged against Ballard?
(a) Public drunkeness
(c) Assault and battery
(d) Lewdness toward a minor
13. Which of the following is not listed among the disabled child's playthings?
(b) Food tins
14. At the beginning of Chapter 9 (p. 25), what does Ballard fail to shoot in the woods?
(a) A squirrel
(b) A deer
(c) A rat
(d) A bird
15. What is the name of the church that Lester goes to in Chapter 10 (pp. 31-32)?
(a) Silverlake Church
(b) Sixmile Church
(c) Salvation Church
(d) Sevier Church
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days is Ballard kept in jail?
2. What charge does the Sleeping Woman want to file against Ballard?
3. Where does Garfuzzle tell Ballard that the Sleeping Woman has gone?
4. Why can't Fred Kirby find his jar of whiskey?
5. How many daughters does the Dumpkeeper have?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)