|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ballard offer to trade Fred Kirby for a jar of whiskey?
(a) A string of rabbits
(b) His rifle
(c) A pocketknife
(d) A lady's dress
2. What is the name of the black boy in the car outside Lester's house?
3. What target does Ballard shoot at the fair's shooting gallery?
(a) A card
(b) A bullseye
(c) A bowling pin
(d) A silhouette cutout
4. Why does Lester Ballard's friend Darfuzzle speaks in a garbled way?
(a) He is German
(b) He is deaf
(c) He has a collapsed jaw
(d) He is developmentally impaired
5. According to CB, what might not be worth fifty cents in a year?
(a) A diamond
(b) A dollar
(c) An acre of land
(d) A war bond
6. What food is Ballard's friend's wife making while he waits?
(a) Fried chicken
(b) Brown potatoes
7. Under what animal does the Thantham boy build a fire?
(a) A horse
(b) An ox
(c) A mule
(d) A steer
8. Which of the following is not a charge that has been lodged against Ballard?
(a) Assault and battery
(b) Public drunkeness
(d) Lewdness toward a minor
9. Where does Ballard figure John goes after leaving jail?
(a) To county prison
(b) Back home
(c) He does not know
(d) To execution
10. Why can't Fred Kirby find his jar of whiskey?
(a) He was drunk when he hid it
(b) He has a wide selection of jars with clear liquid in them
(c) He is blind
(d) The rain buried it over in mud
11. How much money does the blonde daughter demand of Ballard to show him her breasts?
(a) Twenty-five cents
(b) Ten cents
(c) Fifty cents
(d) One dollar
12. Which of the following is not a name listed as one of the Dumpkeeper's daughters
(c) Hernia Sue
13. Where does Fate inspect the car with the couple in the story of Chapter 15 (pp.44-45)?
(a) Sevier County
(b) Grainger County
(c) Jefferson County
(d) Frog Mountain
14. What is the name of Bill Parsons' sick old bird dog?
15. What does Ballard offer to show the Sheriff when they take him away?
(a) His rifle
(b) A body
(c) His buttocks
(d) The path
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stares after Lester as he leaves town?
2. What charge does the Sleeping Woman want to file against Ballard?
3. Where does Garfuzzle tell Ballard that the Sleeping Woman has gone?
4. Which of the following is not one of the terms townspeople assign to Ballard at the end of this section?
5. What heavy object does Lester lug up to his new house on the first day?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)