|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is listed as Lester Ballard's lineage?
(a) Scottish and Navajo
(b) Cherokee and Negro
(c) Saxon and Celtic
(d) Celtic and Negro
2. What does the anonymous driver by Lester's house toss out of his car window?
(a) A cigarette
(b) A condom wrapper
(c) A fast food bag
(d) A beer can
3. What food is Ballard's friend's wife making while he waits?
(a) Fried chicken
(b) Brown potatoes
4. Where does Ballard figure John goes after leaving jail?
(a) Back home
(b) He does not know
(c) To execution
(d) To county prison
5. According to CB, what might not be worth fifty cents in a year?
(a) An acre of land
(b) A war bond
(c) A dollar
(d) A diamond
6. What color does the smith say the blade should turn in the second heat?
7. In Chapter 21 (pp. 66-67) what drifts into Ballard's shack through the breaks in the wall?
8. How much money does the blonde daughter demand of Ballard to show him her breasts?
(a) Fifty cents
(b) Ten cents
(c) Twenty-five cents
(d) One dollar
9. What is the sleeping woman wearing when Ballard finds her?
(a) A sweatsuit
(b) A gown
10. How far from the road is Lester Ballard's shack?
(a) Three miles
(b) A mile
(c) A quarter mile
(d) Twenty yards
11. How many births did the Dumpkeeper's daughters have last summer?
12. Whose house is auctioned at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The Dumpkeeper's
13. Why can't Fred Kirby find his jar of whiskey?
(a) He is blind
(b) He was drunk when he hid it
(c) The rain buried it over in mud
(d) He has a wide selection of jars with clear liquid in them
14. Where does Ballard's friend's daughter go when she leaves the house?
(a) The outhouse
(b) Ballard's friend's truck
(c) The woods
(d) The bus
15. What words does John sing from his cell regularly?
(a) Oh Lordie
(b) Swing low
(c) No woman
(d) Fly home
Short Answer Questions
1. What color underwear does the Dumpkeeper's blonde daughter wear on Saturdays?
2. What is the blonde daughter doing when Ballard approaches her?
3. Who stares after Lester as he leaves town?
4. What is Ballard's friend's name?
5. What noise keeps Lester Ballard awake at night?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)