|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who purchases the auctioned land?
(c) Sheriff Wade
(d) The Dumpkeeper
2. What color does the smith say the blade should turn in the second heat?
3. Where is Ballard when he finds a woman sleeping under a tree?
(a) Frog Mountain
(b) The dump
(c) Sevier County limits
(d) His old property
4. What food is Ballard's friend's wife making while he waits?
(a) Brown potatoes
(d) Fried chicken
5. Where does Garfuzzle tell Ballard that the Sleeping Woman has gone?
(a) To the Dumpkeeper
(b) Out of town
(c) To the church
(d) To the police
6. What plastic animals are used in the first game that Ballard plays at the fair?
7. What does Ballard offer to trade Fred Kirby for a jar of whiskey?
(a) A string of rabbits
(b) A lady's dress
(c) His rifle
(d) A pocketknife
8. Whose house is auctioned at the beginning of the novel?
(d) The Dumpkeeper's
9. What is the sleeping woman wearing when Ballard finds her?
(a) A gown
(b) A sweatsuit
10. What does the speaker in Chapter 19 (pp. 57-60) box at a carnival?
(a) A gorilla
(b) A bear
(c) A kangaroo
(d) A burro
11. Where does Ballard's friend's daughter go when she leaves the house?
(a) The bus
(b) The woods
(c) The outhouse
(d) Ballard's friend's truck
12. How much does the blacksmith charge to sharpen and repair Ballard's axe?
(a) Seven dollars
(b) One dollar
(c) Two dollars
(d) Four dollars
13. The blacksmith warns that if the axe metal turns a certain color, the axe is ruined. What color does he say?
14. What is the blonde daughter doing when Ballard approaches her?
(a) Cooking lunch
(b) Getting drunk
(d) Hanging up wash
15. What does Ballard offer to show the Sheriff when they take him away?
(a) His buttocks
(b) His rifle
(c) The path
(d) A body
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gresham sing when they bury his wife?
2. What does the sleeping woman throw at Ballard?
3. What free gifts are being handed out at the auction?
4. On what structure is the flapping door that Ballard hears on the highway?
5. How many days is Ballard kept in jail?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)