|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has supposedly taken place at the beginning of Act 3?
2. Whom does Lopakhin claim was kind to him when he was young?
3. What is Yepikhodov's nickname?
4. What is the setting for Act 3?
5. What does Lyobov call Trofmiov that insults him, causing him to storm out in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the themes of Romance and Realism play out in The Cherry Orchard? Which characters are "romantics" and which are "realists?" How do they show it?
Essay Topic 2
The characters of Lyubov and Lopakhin are central to the action in The Cherry Orchard. Compare and contrast the characteristics of Lyubov and Lopakhin. How do their backgrounds affect who they are today? What do we know about them based on their appearances and their actions? How do their actions or in-actions affect the outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)