|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lyubov's reaction about the auction?
2. What does Yasha ask of Lyubov in Act 3?
3. What disgusts Firs about the guests in Act 3?
4. What does Anya suggest to Lyubov at the end of Act 3?
5. What has supposedly taken place at the beginning of Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Chekhov use narrative and exposition within the play? How does this affect the dialogue and action?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov was known as one of Europe's most "ecological playwrights." The use of trees and their demise was common in his works. How does this play out in The Cherry Orchard? What events during this time in history would have affected the ecological system in Russia? How does Chekhov use trees in The Cherry Orchard to make his political and ecological viewpoints known?
Essay Topic 3
The Cherry Orchard is set in Russia just after the turn of the 20th century and explores the themes of social upheaval. How does Chekhov's play represent the changing social climate in Russia? Give examples.
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)