|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is taking place at the beginning of Act 3?
2. Whom does Varya chase from the estate in Act 3?
3. Whom does Lopakhin claim was kind to him when he was young?
4. What animal is Pishchik compared to in Act 3?
5. What has supposedly taken place at the beginning of Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If The Cherry Orchard were produced today, what elements of the play would contemporary audiences most relate to? Why? What elements would audiences not relate to?
Essay Topic 2
The Cherry Orchard is set in Russia just after the turn of the 20th century and explores the themes of social upheaval. How does Chekhov's play represent the changing social climate in Russia? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Firs and Yasha. How are they related? What is the difference of these two characters' attitudes toward the other characters in the play? How do they show these differences? Physically, are they similar? How are they alike? How are they different?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)