|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "We are above love?"
2. Trofimov suggests that Lyubov do what?
3. Who buys the cherry orchard at the auction?
4. What does Dunyasha do repeatedly throughout the play?
5. Which character leads Lopakhin from the drawing room in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several "characters" are mentioned who never make an appearance in The Cherry Orchard. Who are they, and how do they contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard is more complicated than many plays of his time. Unlike the "Well-Made Play," The Cherry Orchard has a more obscure plot and protagonist and antagonist. Who do you feel is the protagonist in The Cherry Orchard? Who is the antagonist? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
What does the setting of each act represent within the play? Why are there setting changes? What themes are revealed through the surroundings in the play?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)