|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which guests have arrived in the beginning of Act 3?
2. Who stands in the door to the drawing room at the end of Act 3?
3. What does Yepikhodov break in Act 3?
4. What does the Stationmaster recite from in Act 3?
5. What can Varya not live without?
Essay Topic 1
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Varya and Anya. How do they relate to each other and to other characters throughout the play? How are their appearances similar or different? Compare their outlooks on life, their philosophies and religious beliefs. What other characters in the play do they most reflect?
Essay Topic 3
If The Cherry Orchard were produced today, what elements of the play would contemporary audiences most relate to? Why? What elements would audiences not relate to?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)