|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Stationmaster recite from in Act 3?
2. Who first says the orchard is sold today in Act 3?
3. By how much does Deriganov keep raising at the auction?
4. What is the plan for the cherry orchard at the end of Act 3?
5. How much was the estate auctioned for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1How do the themes of Romance and Realism play out in The Cherry Orchard? Which characters are "romantics" and which are "realists?" How do they show it?
Essay Topic 2Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
Essay Topic 3Chekhov was known as one of Europe's most "ecological playwrights." The use of trees and their demise was common in his works. How does this play out in The Cherry Orchard? What events during this time in history would have affected the ecological system in Russia? How does Chekhov use trees in The Cherry Orchard to make his political and ecological viewpoints known?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)