|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is heard at the beginning of Act 3?
2. Whose arrival is Lyubov anxiously awaiting in Act 3?
3. What is taking place at the beginning of Act 3?
4. Which character says to Lyubov in Act 3, "You still have your good, pure soul?"
5. Which character quotes Nietzche in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several "characters" are mentioned who never make an appearance in The Cherry Orchard. Who are they, and how do they contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov was known as one of Europe's most "ecological playwrights." The use of trees and their demise was common in his works. How does this play out in The Cherry Orchard? What events during this time in history would have affected the ecological system in Russia? How does Chekhov use trees in The Cherry Orchard to make his political and ecological viewpoints known?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)