|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says to Lyubov in Act 3, "You still have your good, pure soul?"
2. Who performs magic tricks in Act 3?
3. Which guests have arrived in the beginning of Act 3?
4. What does Anya suggest to Lyubov at the end of Act 3?
5. Who is expected to propose to Varya?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Varya and Anya. How do they relate to each other and to other characters throughout the play? How are their appearances similar or different? Compare their outlooks on life, their philosophies and religious beliefs. What other characters in the play do they most reflect?
Essay Topic 2
Which character(s) do you think are the most logical in the play? Which are the most illogical? How?
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov was known as one of Europe's most "ecological playwrights." The use of trees and their demise was common in his works. How does this play out in The Cherry Orchard? What events during this time in history would have affected the ecological system in Russia? How does Chekhov use trees in The Cherry Orchard to make his political and ecological viewpoints known?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)