|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is heard at the beginning of Act 3?
2. How much money does Pishchik need in order to pay his interest?
3. What can Varya not live without?
4. What does Yepikhodov break in Act 3?
5. What purchases does Gaev have with him when he returns to the estate in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard is more complicated than many plays of his time. Unlike the "Well-Made Play," The Cherry Orchard has a more obscure plot and protagonist and antagonist. Who do you feel is the protagonist in The Cherry Orchard? Who is the antagonist? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Dunyasha and Lyubov. What similarities do they share? What differences?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)