|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says to Lyubov in Act 3, "You still have your good, pure soul?"
2. Whose grandparents and parents are slaves on the estate?
3. What does Trofimov claim Lyubov's lover has done?
4. What time does the auction end?
5. How much money does Pishchik need in order to pay his interest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chekhov was known as one of Europe's most "ecological playwrights." The use of trees and their demise was common in his works. How does this play out in The Cherry Orchard? What events during this time in history would have affected the ecological system in Russia? How does Chekhov use trees in The Cherry Orchard to make his political and ecological viewpoints known?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Varya and Anya. How do they relate to each other and to other characters throughout the play? How are their appearances similar or different? Compare their outlooks on life, their philosophies and religious beliefs. What other characters in the play do they most reflect?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Lyubov's actions have directly led to the consequences in the play? How have they or have they not?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)