|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
2. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
3. Who arrives at the estate near the end of Act 2?
4. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
5. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the emotional state of Lopakhim in Act 3?
2. Who is Pishchik? How does he know the family? What request does he make to Lyubov repeatedly in Act 2?
3. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
4. Describe Firs' character. What is his position at the estate? Is related to other characters in the play? How?
5. What is the emotional state of Lyubov at the beginning of Act 3? Why?
6. Which character is the most "socialist?" How?
7. What does the sound in the distance (from Acts 2 and 4) symbolize?
8. What happened to Lyubov's son? How does she feel about it?
9. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
10. Describe Gaev's character. Who is he/she related to in the play? How? What does this character do persistently that annoys the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cherry Orchard is set in Russia just after the turn of the 20th century and explores the themes of social upheaval. How does Chekhov's play represent the changing social climate in Russia? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Which character(s) do you think are the most logical in the play? Which are the most illogical? How?
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov was known as one of Europe's most "ecological playwrights." The use of trees and their demise was common in his works. How does this play out in The Cherry Orchard? What events during this time in history would have affected the ecological system in Russia? How does Chekhov use trees in The Cherry Orchard to make his political and ecological viewpoints known?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)