|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Varya?
2. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
3. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
4. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
5. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Yasha and Dunyasha?
2. Who buys the estate at auction? How did this come about?
3. Who is the owner of the estate? What are the primary faults and/or character flaws of this character? Where has this character been prior to the beginning of the play? Why?
4. Who performs magic tricks? What tricks does he/she perform? Where did he/she learn to perform them?
5. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
6. Who is Pishchik? How does he know the family? What request does he make to Lyubov repeatedly in Act 2?
7. How does Trofimov feel about the upper classes?
8. What does Firs say in Act 3 about the guests at the estate? How are they different from the guests before?
9. Who is Deriganov? How does he/she play into the plot?
10. What events led to Lyubov leaving the estate? When did she leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If The Cherry Orchard were produced today, what elements of the play would contemporary audiences most relate to? Why? What elements would audiences not relate to?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov was known as one of the first writers of "Realism" in drama. How does his writing in The Cherry Orchard represent that?
Essay Topic 3
The Cherry Orchard is set in Russia just after the turn of the 20th century and explores the themes of social upheaval. How does Chekhov's play represent the changing social climate in Russia? Give examples.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)