|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
2. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
3. What does Gaev constantly eat?
4. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
5. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pishchik? How does he know the family? What request does he make to Lyubov repeatedly in Act 2?
2. Describe Yasha's character. What is his/her age? What is his/her demeanor? How does he/she relate to other characters in the play?
3. Describe Gaev's character. Who is he/she related to in the play? How? What does this character do persistently that annoys the others?
4. Who is involved in a "love triangle" in the play? How?
5. What is the irony of the landowners in The Cherry Orchard?
6. What is the emotional state of Varya in Act 4? Why?
7. What does Lyubov feel about her lover? How does she show her feelings?
8. Where will Lyubov go in Act 4? Why?
9. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
10. What is happening in Act 4? Who is present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is slavery and serfdom viewed by the characters in The Cherry Orchard? Cite examples of the differences of various characters' viewpoints on the Emancipation.
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Dunyasha and Lyubov. What similarities do they share? What differences?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)