Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
2. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
3. How old is Varya?
4. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
5. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
2. Describe the setting in Act 4. Is the setting the same as any other Act? How so? How is it different?
3. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
4. What will Anya do at the end of Act 4?
5. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
6. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
7. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
8. Describe the symbolism of the cherry orchard within the play.
9. What does Lopakhin suggest Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate? Why?
10. Who is Deriganov? How does he/she play into the plot?
Essay Topic 1
What does the setting of each act represent within the play? Why are there setting changes? What themes are revealed through the surroundings in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Several "characters" are mentioned who never make an appearance in The Cherry Orchard. Who are they, and how do they contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Varya and Anya. How do they relate to each other and to other characters throughout the play? How are their appearances similar or different? Compare their outlooks on life, their philosophies and religious beliefs. What other characters in the play do they most reflect?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)