Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
2. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
3. How old is Varya?
4. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
5. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
2. Describe the setting in Act 4. Is the setting the same as any other Act? How so? How is it different?
3. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
4. What will Anya do at the end of Act 4?
5. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
6. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
7. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
8. Describe the symbolism of the cherry orchard within the play.
9. What does Lopakhin suggest Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate? Why?
10. Who is Deriganov? How does he/she play into the plot?
Essay Topic 1
Chekhov was known as one of Europe's most "ecological playwrights." The use of trees and their demise was common in his works. How does this play out in The Cherry Orchard? What events during this time in history would have affected the ecological system in Russia? How does Chekhov use trees in The Cherry Orchard to make his political and ecological viewpoints known?
Essay Topic 2
The characters of Lyubov and Lopakhin are central to the action in The Cherry Orchard. Compare and contrast the characteristics of Lyubov and Lopakhin. How do their backgrounds affect who they are today? What do we know about them based on their appearances and their actions? How do their actions or in-actions affect the outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Firs and Yasha. How are they related? What is the difference of these two characters' attitudes toward the other characters in the play? How do they show these differences? Physically, are they similar? How are they alike? How are they different?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)