|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
2. At what time of day does Act 2 take place?
3. What is the common complaint about Gaev?
4. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
5. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Trofimov refuse to take money from Lopakhin in Act 4?
2. Where will Lyubov go in Act 4? Why?
3. Where do the telegrams arrive from? What do they say?
4. What is suggested by Trofimov's haggard appearance?
5. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
6. Who buys the estate at auction? How did this come about?
7. Describe Gaev's character. Who is he/she related to in the play? How? What does this character do persistently that annoys the others?
8. What are Lyubov's "sins," referred to by her in Act 2?
9. How is Varya's character unique in the play? What role does she fulfill in the household? What is her style of dress?
10. What does Lopakhin suggest that Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate in Act 2? What is their reaction? How does Lopakhin feel about Gaev and Lyubov's reaction to his proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several "characters" are mentioned who never make an appearance in The Cherry Orchard. Who are they, and how do they contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The Cherry Orchard is set in Russia just after the turn of the 20th century and explores the themes of social upheaval. How does Chekhov's play represent the changing social climate in Russia? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov was known as one of the first writers of "Realism" in drama. How does his writing in The Cherry Orchard represent that?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)