|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
2. What is the setting for Act 2?
3. Who is always mumbling?
4. How long has Lyubov been away?
5. Which character has a dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lopakhin suggest Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate? Why?
2. How is Varya's character unique in the play? What role does she fulfill in the household? What is her style of dress?
3. Who is the Countess? How does she play into the plot? Where does she live?
4. How is Russia compared with the rest of Europe throughout the play?
5. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
6. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
7. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
8. What is suggested by Trofimov's haggard appearance?
9. Describe the emotional state of Anya in Act 4.
10. What is the emotional state of Varya in Act 4? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If The Cherry Orchard were produced today, what elements of the play would contemporary audiences most relate to? Why? What elements would audiences not relate to?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Firs and Yasha. How are they related? What is the difference of these two characters' attitudes toward the other characters in the play? How do they show these differences? Physically, are they similar? How are they alike? How are they different?
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)