|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
2. How does Lyubov's son die?
3. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
4. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
5. Which character wears all black?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suggested by Trofimov's haggard appearance?
2. What is happening in Act 4? Who is present?
3. What are Lyubov's "sins," referred to by her in Act 2?
4. What does Firs say in Act 3 about the guests at the estate? How are they different from the guests before?
5. How does Trofimov feel about Lopakhin? What does he say to Lopakhin in Act 4 that tells us this?
6. Describe the setting in Act 4. Is the setting the same as any other Act? How so? How is it different?
7. Who is Deriganov? How does he/she play into the plot?
8. Why does Trofimov refuse to take money from Lopakhin in Act 4?
9. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
10. What is the emotional state of Firs at the end of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is happy at the end of the play? Why? How have the characters' lives changed in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Lyubov's actions have directly led to the consequences in the play? How have they or have they not?
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard is more complicated than many plays of his time. Unlike the "Well-Made Play," The Cherry Orchard has a more obscure plot and protagonist and antagonist. Who do you feel is the protagonist in The Cherry Orchard? Who is the antagonist? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)