|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
2. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
3. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
4. Which character appears to be "man-crazy?"
5. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lyubov's "sins," referred to by her in Act 2?
2. How is Varya's character unique in the play? What role does she fulfill in the household? What is her style of dress?
3. How does Trofimov feel about Lopakhin? What does he say to Lopakhin in Act 4 that tells us this?
4. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
5. What does Lopakhin suggest that Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate in Act 2? What is their reaction? How does Lopakhin feel about Gaev and Lyubov's reaction to his proposal?
6. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
7. What is happening in Act 4? Who is present?
8. Describe Gaev's character. Who is he/she related to in the play? How? What does this character do persistently that annoys the others?
9. What is the emotional state of Firs at the end of Act 4?
10. What event is taking place in Act 3? What purpose does this event serve to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several "characters" are mentioned who never make an appearance in The Cherry Orchard. Who are they, and how do they contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov was known as one of Europe's most "ecological playwrights." The use of trees and their demise was common in his works. How does this play out in The Cherry Orchard? What events during this time in history would have affected the ecological system in Russia? How does Chekhov use trees in The Cherry Orchard to make his political and ecological viewpoints known?
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)