|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
2. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
3. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
4. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
5. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the sound in the distance (from Acts 2 and 4) symbolize?
2. Which character had a lover in Paris? What became of this situation?
3. Describe the emotional state of Anya in Act 4.
4. What does Lopakhin suggest that Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate in Act 2? What is their reaction? How does Lopakhin feel about Gaev and Lyubov's reaction to his proposal?
5. Describe Firs' character. What is his position at the estate? Is related to other characters in the play? How?
6. Why does Trofimov refuse to take money from Lopakhin in Act 4?
7. Where will Gaev go in Act 4? Why?
8. Describe Anya's character. How old is she? What color does she wear? How does she feel about her mother and sister?
9. What does Firs symbolize in The Cherry Orchard?
10. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Firs and Yasha. How are they related? What is the difference of these two characters' attitudes toward the other characters in the play? How do they show these differences? Physically, are they similar? How are they alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov was known as one of the first writers of "Realism" in drama. How does his writing in The Cherry Orchard represent that?
Essay Topic 3
How are the characters' costumes reflective of their personalities? What do the colors, styles, adornments say about them?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)