|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
2. Which character wears all black?
3. Who arrives at the estate near the end of Act 2?
4. What is Lyubov's greatest flaw?
5. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
2. How is Russia compared with the rest of Europe throughout the play?
3. What does Firs symbolize in The Cherry Orchard?
4. Who is Pishchik? How does he know the family? What request does he make to Lyubov repeatedly in Act 2?
5. What is happening in Act 4? Who is present?
6. Who buys the estate at auction? How did this come about?
7. Where will Lyubov go in Act 4? Why?
8. Describe the emotional state of Lopakhin in Act 4. Why is he happy or sad?
9. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
10. Who is the Countess? How does she play into the plot? Where does she live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cherry Orchard is set in Russia just after the turn of the 20th century and explores the themes of social upheaval. How does Chekhov's play represent the changing social climate in Russia? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Varya and Anya. How do they relate to each other and to other characters throughout the play? How are their appearances similar or different? Compare their outlooks on life, their philosophies and religious beliefs. What other characters in the play do they most reflect?
Essay Topic 3
How do the themes of Romance and Realism play out in The Cherry Orchard? Which characters are "romantics" and which are "realists?" How do they show it?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)