|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
2. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
3. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
4. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
5. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
2. What is the emotional state of Firs at the end of Act 4?
3. Does Firs have loyalty to the family? How do we know?
4. How is Russia compared with the rest of Europe throughout the play?
5. What class of people does Lyubov represent in the play? How?
6. What does Lopakhin suggest Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate? Why?
7. Which character had a lover in Paris? What became of this situation?
8. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
9. How is Varya's character unique in the play? What role does she fulfill in the household? What is her style of dress?
10. Who is the Countess? How does she play into the plot? Where does she live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters of Lyubov and Lopakhin are central to the action in The Cherry Orchard. Compare and contrast the characteristics of Lyubov and Lopakhin. How do their backgrounds affect who they are today? What do we know about them based on their appearances and their actions? How do their actions or in-actions affect the outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
How is Chekhov's own life reflected within The Cherry Orchard? Which character do you think reflects Chekhov's personal point of view? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How are the characters' costumes reflective of their personalities? What do the colors, styles, adornments say about them?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)