|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
2. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
3. Which character has a dog?
4. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
5. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
2. Which character had a lover in Paris? What became of this situation?
3. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
4. What is the relationship between Dunyasha and Yepikhodov?
5. How does Trofimov feel about the upper classes?
6. Who buys the estate at auction? How did this come about?
7. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
8. Where will Gaev go in Act 4? Why?
9. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
10. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If The Cherry Orchard were produced today, what elements of the play would contemporary audiences most relate to? Why? What elements would audiences not relate to?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
Essay Topic 3
How are the characters' costumes reflective of their personalities? What do the colors, styles, adornments say about them?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)