|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gaev constantly eat?
2. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
3. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
4. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
5. At what time of day does Act 2 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
2. What does Lyubov feel about her lover? How does she show her feelings?
3. Describe the relationship between Varya and Lopakhin.
4. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
5. Describe the setting in Act 4. Is the setting the same as any other Act? How so? How is it different?
6. What does Lopakhin suggest that Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate in Act 2? What is their reaction? How does Lopakhin feel about Gaev and Lyubov's reaction to his proposal?
7. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
8. What events led to Lyubov leaving the estate? When did she leave?
9. Describe the emotional state of Anya in Act 4.
10. Why does Trofimov refuse to take money from Lopakhin in Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chekhov was known as one of the first writers of "Realism" in drama. How does his writing in The Cherry Orchard represent that?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard is more complicated than many plays of his time. Unlike the "Well-Made Play," The Cherry Orchard has a more obscure plot and protagonist and antagonist. Who do you feel is the protagonist in The Cherry Orchard? Who is the antagonist? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)