|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
2. What is the setting for Act 2?
3. Who speaks to the bookshelf and to nature?
4. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
5. Who is always mumbling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dunyasha's character. How does she dress? What is she constantly distracted by? Is she dedicated to her job?
2. What does Lopakhin suggest that Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate in Act 2? What is their reaction? How does Lopakhin feel about Gaev and Lyubov's reaction to his proposal?
3. How is Varya's character unique in the play? What role does she fulfill in the household? What is her style of dress?
4. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
5. Describe Firs' character. What is his position at the estate? Is related to other characters in the play? How?
6. How does Trofimov feel about the upper classes?
7. Describe the relationship between Varya and Lopakhin.
8. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
9. What is the emotional state of Lopakhim in Act 3?
10. How does Trofimov feel about Lopakhin? What does he say to Lopakhin in Act 4 that tells us this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Chekhov use narrative and exposition within the play? How does this affect the dialogue and action?
Essay Topic 2
If The Cherry Orchard were produced today, what elements of the play would contemporary audiences most relate to? Why? What elements would audiences not relate to?
Essay Topic 3
How is Chekhov's own life reflected within The Cherry Orchard? Which character do you think reflects Chekhov's personal point of view? Why?
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)