|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
2. Which character says, "We should stop admiring ourselves. We should just work, and that is all?"
3. Which character represents the rising middle class of turn-of-century Russia?
4. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
5. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Varya feel about Yepikhodov? What does she do to show her feelings?
2. Describe the relationship between Varya and Lopakhin.
3. What does Lopakhin suggest Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate? Why?
4. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
5. What is the emotional state of Firs at the end of Act 4?
6. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
7. What events led to Lyubov leaving the estate? When did she leave?
8. What is the irony of the landowners in The Cherry Orchard?
9. What is the relationship between Dunyasha and Yepikhodov?
10. What does Lyubov feel about her lover? How does she show her feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Lyubov's actions have directly led to the consequences in the play? How have they or have they not?
Essay Topic 2
How are the characters' costumes reflective of their personalities? What do the colors, styles, adornments say about them?
Essay Topic 3
How is slavery and serfdom viewed by the characters in The Cherry Orchard? Cite examples of the differences of various characters' viewpoints on the Emancipation.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)