|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character wears all black?
2. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
3. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
4. How does Lyubov's son die?
5. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Anya do at the end of Act 4?
2. Which character had a lover in Paris? What became of this situation?
3. What is the irony of the landowners in The Cherry Orchard?
4. Who performs magic tricks? What tricks does he/she perform? Where did he/she learn to perform them?
5. Where will Lyubov go in Act 4? Why?
6. What is the emotional state of Lyubov at the end of Act 3? Why?
7. How does Trofimov feel about the upper classes?
8. Who buys the estate at auction? How did this come about?
9. What is the emotional state of Lopakhim in Act 3?
10. Who is involved in a "love triangle" in the play? How?
Essay Topic 1
How are the characters' costumes reflective of their personalities? What do the colors, styles, adornments say about them?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Varya and Anya. How do they relate to each other and to other characters throughout the play? How are their appearances similar or different? Compare their outlooks on life, their philosophies and religious beliefs. What other characters in the play do they most reflect?
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)