Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
2. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
3. How old is Varya?
4. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
5. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
2. Describe the setting in Act 4. Is the setting the same as any other Act? How so? How is it different?
3. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
4. What will Anya do at the end of Act 4?
5. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
6. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
7. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
8. Describe the symbolism of the cherry orchard within the play.
9. What does Lopakhin suggest Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate? Why?
10. Who is Deriganov? How does he/she play into the plot?
Essay Topic 1
Who is happy at the end of the play? Why? How have the characters' lives changed in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
How does Chekhov use narrative and exposition within the play? How does this affect the dialogue and action?
Essay Topic 3
Chekhov chose to title this play, "The Cherry Orchard: A Comedy in Four Acts." Why did he title it a comedy? What comedic elements does he employ within the play? What tragic elements are there?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)