|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character represents the rising middle class of turn-of-century Russia?
2. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
3. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
4. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
5. Which character says, "We should stop admiring ourselves. We should just work, and that is all?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in Act 4? Who is present?
2. Who buys the estate at auction? How did this come about?
3. Describe the symbolism of the cherry orchard within the play.
4. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
5. What is the relationship between Dunyasha and Yepikhodov?
6. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
7. Describe the relationship between Varya and Lopakhin.
8. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
9. How does Trofimov feel about the upper classes?
10. Who is the Countess? How does she play into the plot? Where does she live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the characters' costumes reflective of their personalities? What do the colors, styles, adornments say about them?
Essay Topic 2
Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard is more complicated than many plays of his time. Unlike the "Well-Made Play," The Cherry Orchard has a more obscure plot and protagonist and antagonist. Who do you feel is the protagonist in The Cherry Orchard? Who is the antagonist? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Several "characters" are mentioned who never make an appearance in The Cherry Orchard. Who are they, and how do they contribute to the plot?
This section contains 1,536 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)