|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day does Act 2 take place?
2. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
3. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
4. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
5. How old is Varya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the emotional state of Lyubov at the end of Act 3? Why?
2. Explain the argument between Lyubov and Trofimov in Act 3.
3. Describe the emotional state of Lopakhin in Act 4. Why is he happy or sad?
4. What does Lyubov feel about her lover? How does she show her feelings?
5. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
6. How does Trofimov feel about the upper classes?
7. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
8. How does Varya feel about Yepikhodov? What does she do to show her feelings?
9. What is suggested by Trofimov's haggard appearance?
10. Who is the Countess? How does she play into the plot? Where does she live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Dunyasha and Lyubov. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Lyubov's actions have directly led to the consequences in the play? How have they or have they not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is happy at the end of the play? Why? How have the characters' lives changed in the course of the play?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)