|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
2. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
3. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
(a) It means that Gaev can travel to and from work.
(b) It will make selling the cherries more convenient.
(c) It means that Lyubov can marry the stationmaster.
(d) It will be easier to lease out summer cottages.
4. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's dancing.
(b) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(c) Yasha's magic tricks.
(d) Yasha's guitar playing.
5. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lyubov's son die?
2. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
3. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
4. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
5. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who buys the estate at auction? How did this come about?
2. Describe Dunyasha's character. How does she dress? What is she constantly distracted by? Is she dedicated to her job?
3. Describe the setting in Act 4. Is the setting the same as any other Act? How so? How is it different?
4. Where do the telegrams arrive from? What do they say?
5. What is the irony of the landowners in The Cherry Orchard?
6. Who is the Countess? How does she play into the plot? Where does she live?
7. Describe the emotional state of Lopakhin in Act 4. Why is he happy or sad?
8. Which character had a lover in Paris? What became of this situation?
9. What class of people does Lyubov represent in the play? How?
10. What does Lopakhin suggest that Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate in Act 2? What is their reaction? How does Lopakhin feel about Gaev and Lyubov's reaction to his proposal?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)