|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lyubov give to the stranger who passes through in Act 2?
(a) A kopek.
(b) A basket of cherries.
(c) A gold coin.
(d) A silver coin.
2. At what time of day does Act 2 take place?
3. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
(a) Not yet 30.
(d) Not yet 50.
4. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
(a) The Countess has arrived.
(b) The ball is beginning.
(c) It's almost suppertime.
(d) It's time for tea.
5. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
2. How does Lyubov's son die?
3. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
4. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
5. Who is always mumbling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lopakhin suggest Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate? Why?
2. What does the sound in the distance (from Acts 2 and 4) symbolize?
3. Who is the Countess? How does she play into the plot? Where does she live?
4. What events led to Lyubov leaving the estate? When did she leave?
5. How does Trofimov feel about Lopakhin? What does he say to Lopakhin in Act 4 that tells us this?
6. Which character is the most "socialist?" How?
7. Who performs magic tricks? What tricks does he/she perform? Where did he/she learn to perform them?
8. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
9. Which character had a lover in Paris? What became of this situation?
10. What is the emotional state of Lyubov at the end of Act 3? Why?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)