|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gaev constantly eat?
(c) Sunflower seeds.
(d) Dried herring.
2. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
(a) They were serfs.
(b) Traveled and performed shows at fairs.
(c) They were merchants.
(d) Taught at a small school house.
3. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
(a) The onset of Communism.
(b) The Emancipation.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
4. What does Firs say happened just before "the troubles?"
(a) A black carriage pulled up to the estate.
(b) An owl hooted and the samovar hissed constantly.
(c) The slaves rioted.
(d) The train arrived in the station.
5. How long has Lyubov been away?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Twelve years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
2. Which character declares, "All of Russia is our orchard?"
3. Which character represents the rising middle class of turn-of-century Russia?
4. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
5. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
2. Who is the owner of the estate? What are the primary faults and/or character flaws of this character? Where has this character been prior to the beginning of the play? Why?
3. What is the relationship between Dunyasha and Yepikhodov?
4. What class of people does Lyubov represent in the play? How?
5. How does Trofimov feel about Lopakhin? What does he say to Lopakhin in Act 4 that tells us this?
6. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
7. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
8. What is the relationship between Yasha and Dunyasha?
9. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
10. What is the irony of the landowners in The Cherry Orchard?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)