|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(b) Yasha's guitar playing.
(c) Yasha's dancing.
(d) Yasha's magic tricks.
2. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
3. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
(a) July 7.
(b) August 22.
(c) May 14.
(d) September 1.
4. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
(a) It means that Lyubov can marry the stationmaster.
(b) It means that Gaev can travel to and from work.
(c) It will make selling the cherries more convenient.
(d) It will be easier to lease out summer cottages.
5. At what time of day does Act 2 take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
2. At the end of Act 2, where does Anya go to avoid being found in the garden?
3. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
4. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
5. How old is Varya?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the telegrams arrive from? What do they say?
2. What does Firs say in Act 3 about the guests at the estate? How are they different from the guests before?
3. Where will Lyubov go in Act 4? Why?
4. Does Firs have loyalty to the family? How do we know?
5. What does the sound in the distance (from Acts 2 and 4) symbolize?
6. How does Varya feel about Yepikhodov? What does she do to show her feelings?
7. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
8. What is the emotional state of Firs at the end of Act 4?
9. What is happening in Act 4? Who is present?
10. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)