|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) Lyubov's bedroom.
(b) The ballroom.
(c) A meadow on the estate.
(d) The nursery.
2. Who wears white throughout the play?
3. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
4. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
(a) Divide it into lots for summer cottages.
(b) Sell it to him.
(c) Take a loan and keep it as-is.
(d) Sell it to the Countess.
5. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
(a) September 1.
(b) July 7.
(c) August 22.
(d) May 14.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Gaev offered at the bank?
2. At what time of day does Act 2 take place?
3. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
4. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
5. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the telegrams arrive from? What do they say?
2. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
3. Does Firs have loyalty to the family? How do we know?
4. How is Varya's character unique in the play? What role does she fulfill in the household? What is her style of dress?
5. Describe the setting in Act 4. Is the setting the same as any other Act? How so? How is it different?
6. Describe the emotional state of Anya in Act 4.
7. Describe Yasha's character. What is his/her age? What is his/her demeanor? How does he/she relate to other characters in the play?
8. How does Trofimov feel about the upper classes?
9. What is the emotional state of Varya in Act 4? Why?
10. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)