|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
2. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
3. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
4. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
5. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
2. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
3. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
4. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
5. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Varya's character unique in the play? What role does she fulfill in the household? What is her style of dress?
2. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
3. Where will Lyubov go in Act 4? Why?
4. What does Firs symbolize in The Cherry Orchard?
5. What is the relationship between Dunyasha and Yepikhodov?
6. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
7. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
8. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
9. What happened to Lyubov's son? How does she feel about it?
10. What does Lyubov feel about her lover? How does she show her feelings?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)