|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
(a) King Lear.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Julius Caesar.
2. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
3. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's magic tricks.
(b) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(c) Yasha's guitar playing.
(d) Yasha's dancing.
4. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
(a) The Emancipation.
(b) World War II.
(c) The onset of Communism.
(d) World War I.
5. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
(a) Swallow them.
(b) Send them to the Countess.
(c) Give them to him.
(d) Throw them into the well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
2. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
3. How old is Varya?
4. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
5. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Trofimov feel about Lopakhin? What does he say to Lopakhin in Act 4 that tells us this?
2. What is the emotional state of Lyubov at the end of Act 3? Why?
3. What does Firs say in Act 3 about the guests at the estate? How are they different from the guests before?
4. What happened to Lyubov's son? How does she feel about it?
5. How does Varya feel about Yepikhodov? What does she do to show her feelings?
6. What event is taking place in Act 3? What purpose does this event serve to the story?
7. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
8. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
9. Describe the relationship between Varya and Lopakhin.
10. Describe Firs' character. What is his position at the estate? Is related to other characters in the play? How?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)