|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
(a) Vicious monsters.
(b) Human beings.
(c) Slaughtered animals.
(d) The Countess.
2. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her lover.
3. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
4. Who speaks to the bookshelf and to nature?
5. What does Gaev constantly eat?
(b) Sunflower seeds.
(d) Dried herring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character appears to be "man-crazy?"
2. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
3. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
4. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
5. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Trofimov refuse to take money from Lopakhin in Act 4?
2. What are Lyubov's "sins," referred to by her in Act 2?
3. Who is the owner of the estate? What are the primary faults and/or character flaws of this character? Where has this character been prior to the beginning of the play? Why?
4. What is the emotional state of Lyubov at the end of Act 3? Why?
5. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
6. What does Firs symbolize in The Cherry Orchard?
7. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
8. What events led to Lyubov leaving the estate? When did she leave?
9. Describe Firs' character. What is his position at the estate? Is related to other characters in the play? How?
10. How is Russia compared with the rest of Europe throughout the play?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)