|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
2. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her son.
3. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
4. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
5. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
(a) A scoundrel.
(b) A miser.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A cheapskate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
2. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
3. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
4. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
5. How does Lyubov's son die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What class of people does Lyubov represent in the play? How?
2. What is the emotional state of Firs at the end of Act 4?
3. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
4. Why does Trofimov refuse to take money from Lopakhin in Act 4?
5. How does Varya feel about Yepikhodov? What does she do to show her feelings?
6. What is the relationship between Yasha and Dunyasha?
7. Who is Pishchik? How does he know the family? What request does he make to Lyubov repeatedly in Act 2?
8. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
9. What does Firs symbolize in The Cherry Orchard?
10. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)