|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
2. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
3. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
4. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
5. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
(a) A scoundrel.
(b) An old woman.
(c) A miser.
(d) A cheapskate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
2. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
3. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
4. Which character represents the rising middle class of turn-of-century Russia?
5. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dunyasha's character. How does she dress? What is she constantly distracted by? Is she dedicated to her job?
2. Where will Gaev go in Act 4? Why?
3. How does Trofimov feel about the upper classes?
4. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
5. Explain the argument between Lyubov and Trofimov in Act 3.
6. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
7. Describe the emotional state of Lopakhin in Act 4. Why is he happy or sad?
8. What is the relationship between Yasha and Dunyasha?
9. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
10. Describe Anya's character. How old is she? What color does she wear? How does she feel about her mother and sister?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)