|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character has a dog?
2. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's guitar playing.
(b) Yasha's magic tricks.
(c) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(d) Yasha's dancing.
3. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
(a) It's almost suppertime.
(b) The Countess has arrived.
(c) The ball is beginning.
(d) It's time for tea.
4. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
5. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
2. How long has Lyubov been away?
3. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
4. What does Lyubov give to the stranger who passes through in Act 2?
5. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events led to Lyubov leaving the estate? When did she leave?
2. Who is the Countess? How does she play into the plot? Where does she live?
3. What is the relationship between Dunyasha and Yepikhodov?
4. Where will Gaev go in Act 4? Why?
5. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
6. Describe the emotional state of Anya in Act 4.
7. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
8. Describe Dunyasha's character. How does she dress? What is she constantly distracted by? Is she dedicated to her job?
9. What does Lopakhin suggest that Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate in Act 2? What is their reaction? How does Lopakhin feel about Gaev and Lyubov's reaction to his proposal?
10. Describe the setting in Act 4. Is the setting the same as any other Act? How so? How is it different?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)