|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lyubov's greatest flaw?
(a) Spending money recklessly.
(d) Abusing the servants.
2. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
(a) The sound of church bells.
(b) The sound of a snapped string dying mournfully away.
(c) The sound of a carriage pulling up.
(d) The sound of a train.
3. How much is Gaev offered at the bank?
(a) 6,000 per year.
(b) 10,000 per year.
(c) 3,000 per year.
(d) 25,000 per year.
4. Which character says, "We should stop admiring ourselves. We should just work, and that is all?"
5. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
2. How long has Lyubov been away?
3. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
4. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
5. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Anya do at the end of Act 4?
2. What does Firs say in Act 3 about the guests at the estate? How are they different from the guests before?
3. What is the emotional state of Lopakhim in Act 3?
4. Does Firs have loyalty to the family? How do we know?
5. Where do the telegrams arrive from? What do they say?
6. Which character is the most "socialist?" How?
7. What is happening in Act 4? Who is present?
8. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
9. What does Firs symbolize in The Cherry Orchard?
10. How does Trofimov feel about Lopakhin? What does he say to Lopakhin in Act 4 that tells us this?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)