|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
(a) A cucumber.
(b) A mandolin.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A revolver.
2. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
(c) Not yet 30.
(d) Not yet 50.
3. How much is Gaev offered at the bank?
(a) 10,000 per year.
(b) 25,000 per year.
(c) 3,000 per year.
(d) 6,000 per year.
4. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
5. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
(a) He marries her daughter.
(b) He inherits a fortune.
(c) He dies on the train.
(d) He leaves her for another woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character declares, "All of Russia is our orchard?"
2. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
3. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
4. How old is Varya?
5. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anya's character. How old is she? What color does she wear? How does she feel about her mother and sister?
2. What is the emotional state of Lyubov at the end of Act 3? Why?
3. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
4. Which character is the most "socialist?" How?
5. Which character had a lover in Paris? What became of this situation?
6. What are Lyubov's "sins," referred to by her in Act 2?
7. What event is taking place in Act 3? What purpose does this event serve to the story?
8. Where do the telegrams arrive from? What do they say?
9. Describe Gaev's character. Who is he/she related to in the play? How? What does this character do persistently that annoys the others?
10. What does Lopakhin suggest Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate? Why?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)