|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Firs say happened just before "the troubles?"
(a) The slaves rioted.
(b) An owl hooted and the samovar hissed constantly.
(c) A black carriage pulled up to the estate.
(d) The train arrived in the station.
2. How does Lyubov's son die?
(a) He falls from a cherry tree.
(b) He drowns in the river.
(c) He jumps off the roof.
(d) He dies from Tuberculosis.
3. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(b) Yasha's magic tricks.
(c) Yasha's dancing.
(d) Yasha's guitar playing.
4. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
5. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
(a) To rent it out for profit.
(b) To replace the estate.
(c) To take care of her lover who was ill.
(d) To give her daughter on her wedding day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
3. Which character appears to be "man-crazy?"
4. At the end of Act 2, where does Anya go to avoid being found in the garden?
5. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Yasha's character. What is his/her age? What is his/her demeanor? How does he/she relate to other characters in the play?
2. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
3. What event is taking place in Act 3? What purpose does this event serve to the story?
4. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
5. Describe Anya's character. How old is she? What color does she wear? How does she feel about her mother and sister?
6. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
7. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
8. Describe Dunyasha's character. How does she dress? What is she constantly distracted by? Is she dedicated to her job?
9. How does Trofimov feel about Lopakhin? What does he say to Lopakhin in Act 4 that tells us this?
10. Does Firs have loyalty to the family? How do we know?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)