|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Varya?
2. Which character appears to be "man-crazy?"
3. Which character wears all black?
4. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
(a) A cheapskate.
(b) An old woman.
(c) A scoundrel.
(d) A miser.
5. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He is buying the estate.
(c) He is selling cherries.
(d) He has a meeting with someone who may give him a loan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character has a dog?
2. Who dreams of entering a convent?
3. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
4. Who wears white throughout the play?
5. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Firs' character. What is his position at the estate? Is related to other characters in the play? How?
2. How does Varya feel about Yepikhodov? What does she do to show her feelings?
3. Which character is the most "socialist?" How?
4. Who is Pishchik? How does he know the family? What request does he make to Lyubov repeatedly in Act 2?
5. Describe the symbolism of the cherry orchard within the play.
6. What is happening in Act 4? Who is present?
7. What is the irony of the landowners in The Cherry Orchard?
8. What are Lyubov's "sins," referred to by her in Act 2?
9. Why does Trofimov refuse to take money from Lopakhin in Act 4?
10. Who is the owner of the estate? What are the primary faults and/or character flaws of this character? Where has this character been prior to the beginning of the play? Why?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)