|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character has a dog?
2. Who wears white throughout the play?
3. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) King Lear.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
4. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Anya and Trofimov.
(b) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
(c) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
(d) Lyubov and Firs.
5. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
(a) May 14.
(b) July 7.
(c) September 1.
(d) August 22.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the orchard to look for Anya at the end of Act 2?
2. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
3. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
4. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
5. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
2. What are Lyubov's "sins," referred to by her in Act 2?
3. Does Firs have loyalty to the family? How do we know?
4. What is the relationship between Dunyasha and Yepikhodov?
5. Where will Gaev go in Act 4? Why?
6. What event is taking place in Act 3? What purpose does this event serve to the story?
7. What events led to Lyubov leaving the estate? When did she leave?
8. Describe the emotional state of Anya in Act 4.
9. Trofimov is a character who speaks about philosophical ideals throughout the play. What are the concepts and ideals that he speaks about? What is his level of education? What does he feel about the other characters in The Cherry Orchard?
10. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)