Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
(a) He inherits a fortune.
(b) He leaves her for another woman.
(c) He marries her daughter.
(d) He dies on the train.
2. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
3. How old is Varya?
4. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
(a) Traveled and performed shows at fairs.
(b) Taught at a small school house.
(c) They were serfs.
(d) They were merchants.
5. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
(a) He is selling cherries.
(b) He is buying the estate.
(c) He has a meeting with someone who may give him a loan.
(d) He is getting married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dreams of entering a convent?
2. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
3. What does Gaev constantly eat?
4. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
5. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What philosophical/social themes does Chekhov comment on in the play, The Cherry Orchard?
2. Describe the setting in Act 4. Is the setting the same as any other Act? How so? How is it different?
3. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
4. What will Anya do at the end of Act 4?
5. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
6. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
7. What class of people does Lopakhin represent? How is that illustrated in the play?
8. Describe the symbolism of the cherry orchard within the play.
9. What does Lopakhin suggest Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate? Why?
10. Who is Deriganov? How does he/she play into the plot?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)