|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
(c) Not yet 50.
(d) Not yet 30.
2. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
3. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
(a) September 1.
(b) August 22.
(c) May 14.
(d) July 7.
4. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
(b) Lyubov and Firs.
(c) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
(d) Anya and Trofimov.
5. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
(a) A revolver.
(b) A cucumber.
(c) A mandolin.
(d) A guitar.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
2. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
3. How does Lyubov's son die?
4. Who wears white throughout the play?
5. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the emotional state of Lyubov at the end of Act 3? Why?
2. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
3. Describe the emotional state of Anya in Act 4.
4. Why does Trofimov refuse to take money from Lopakhin in Act 4?
5. Where do the telegrams arrive from? What do they say?
6. What does Firs say in Act 3 about the guests at the estate? How are they different from the guests before?
7. Who is Deriganov? How does he/she play into the plot?
8. How does Varya feel about Yepikhodov? What does she do to show her feelings?
9. Who is involved in a "love triangle" in the play? How?
10. How is Lopakhin's character different than that of Firs? How are they alike?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)