|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to the orchard to look for Anya at the end of Act 2?
2. Which character has a dog?
3. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
4. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
5. At the end of Act 2, where does Anya go to avoid being found in the garden?
(a) To the river.
(b) Into the orchard.
(c) Into the woods.
(d) Into the nursery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
2. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
3. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
4. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
5. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the argument between Lyubov and Trofimov in Act 3.
2. How is Varya's character unique in the play? What role does she fulfill in the household? What is her style of dress?
3. Describe the emotional state of Lyubov in Act 4. Why does she feel this way?
4. How is Russia compared with the rest of Europe throughout the play?
5. Who is Charlotta? What is her position in the household? How is she described physically?
6. What class of people does Lyubov represent in the play? How?
7. What does Lopakhin suggest that Lyubov and Gaev do with the estate in Act 2? What is their reaction? How does Lopakhin feel about Gaev and Lyubov's reaction to his proposal?
8. Describe the setting of Act 2. What characters are in the opening of the scene, and what are they doing?
9. What is happening in Act 4? Who is present?
10. Where will Lyubov go in Act 4? Why?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)