|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) The nursery.
(b) Lyubov's bedroom.
(c) The ballroom.
(d) A meadow on the estate.
2. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
(a) World War II.
(b) The onset of Communism.
(c) The Emancipation.
(d) World War I.
3. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
4. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
5. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Gaev offered at the bank?
2. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
3. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
4. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
5. Which character represents the rising middle class of turn-of-century Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the comic relief in the play? How does this play out?
2. What is the emotional state of Firs at the end of Act 4?
3. What is the emotional state of Lyubov at the end of Act 3? Why?
4. Who is Pishchik? How does he know the family? What request does he make to Lyubov repeatedly in Act 2?
5. What does Firs symbolize in The Cherry Orchard?
6. What is the relationship between Dunyasha and Yepikhodov?
7. What happened to Lyubov's son? How does she feel about it?
8. Who is the Countess? How does she play into the plot? Where does she live?
9. What event is taking place in Act 3? What purpose does this event serve to the story?
10. Describe the relationship between Varya and Lopakhin.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)