|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is heard at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) A chorus of angels.
(b) The Jewish band playing in the ballroom.
(c) A carriage arriving.
(d) A train in the distance.
2. What does the Stationmaster recite from in Act 3?
(a) Marx's "Communist Manifesto."
(b) Tolstoy's "The Sinner."
(c) Tolstoy's "The Proud Man."
(d) Nietzche's "Good and Evil."
3. What does Yasha ask of Lyubov in Act 3?
(a) To allow him to marry Dunyasha.
(b) To take him for a drive.
(c) To let him play billiards.
(d) To take him to Paris with her.
4. Whom does Lopakhin claim was kind to him when he was young?
(a) His mother.
(d) His father.
5. How much money does Pishchik need in order to pay his interest?
(a) 420 rubles.
(b) 180 rubles.
(c) 100 rubles.
(d) 300 rubles.
6. What does Trofimov call Varya to tease her?
(a) Madame Lopakhin.
(b) Madame Ranevskaya.
(c) A nun.
(d) Madame Pishchik.
7. Whose grandparents and parents are slaves on the estate?
8. What purchases does Gaev have with him when he returns to the estate in Act 3?
(a) Champagne and cognac.
(b) Fruits and vegetables.
(c) Candy and cakes.
(d) Herring and anchovies.
9. What did Firs say that the late master treated everyone with for illness?
(c) Sealing wax.
(d) Cod Liver oil.
10. Who first says the orchard is sold today in Act 3?
(d) A stranger in the kitchen.
11. Who intends to pay the musicians at the end of Act 3?
12. How much money does the Countess send to buy the estate?
(a) Five hundred thousand.
(b) Ten thousand.
(c) Three hundred thousand.
(d) Fifteen thousand.
13. Why doesn't Firs go to bed in Act 3?
(a) He's the only one to serve the guests.
(b) He cannot sleep.
(c) He has not bed to go to.
(d) He wants to dance.
14. What is Lyubov doing at the end of Act 3?
(d) Magic tricks.
15. How much money does the Countess send?
(a) Two-hundred thousand rubles.
(b) Fifteen-thousand rubles.
(c) Ten-thousand rubles.
(d) One-thousand rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 3?
2. What does Dunyasha do repeatedly throughout the play?
3. What does Lyubov accuse Trofimov of?
4. Whom does Varya accidentally strike with a stick in Act 3?
5. By how much does Deriganov keep raising at the auction?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)