|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
(a) The sound of a train.
(b) The sound of a snapped string dying mournfully away.
(c) The sound of church bells.
(d) The sound of a carriage pulling up.
2. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
(a) Sell it to him.
(b) Sell it to the Countess.
(c) Divide it into lots for summer cottages.
(d) Take a loan and keep it as-is.
3. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
(a) He leaves her for another woman.
(b) He marries her daughter.
(c) He dies on the train.
(d) He inherits a fortune.
4. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He is buying the estate.
(c) He has a meeting with someone who may give him a loan.
(d) He is selling cherries.
5. Which character wears all black?
6. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
7. Who is always mumbling?
8. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
9. What is the common complaint about Gaev?
(a) He talks too much.
(b) He is in love with the maid.
(c) He drinks all the time.
(d) He sings too much.
10. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
11. At the end of Act 2, where does Anya go to avoid being found in the garden?
(a) Into the nursery.
(b) Into the orchard.
(c) Into the woods.
(d) To the river.
12. What does Lyubov give to the stranger who passes through in Act 2?
(a) A gold coin.
(b) A silver coin.
(c) A basket of cherries.
(d) A kopek.
13. What does Gaev constantly eat?
(c) Sunflower seeds.
(d) Dried herring.
14. Who wears white throughout the play?
15. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
(a) Not yet 50.
(b) Not yet 30.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks to the bookshelf and to nature?
2. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
3. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
4. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
5. How much is Gaev offered at the bank?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)