|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
2. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
(a) August 22.
(b) May 14.
(c) September 1.
(d) July 7.
3. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
(a) World War II.
(b) The onset of Communism.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Emancipation.
4. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
5. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) Lyubov's bedroom.
(b) A meadow on the estate.
(c) The nursery.
(d) The ballroom.
6. What does Gaev constantly eat?
(a) Sunflower seeds.
(b) Dried herring.
7. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
8. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
(a) It means that Gaev can travel to and from work.
(b) It will make selling the cherries more convenient.
(c) It will be easier to lease out summer cottages.
(d) It means that Lyubov can marry the stationmaster.
9. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
10. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
11. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
12. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
13. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
(a) They were serfs.
(b) Traveled and performed shows at fairs.
(c) They were merchants.
(d) Taught at a small school house.
14. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
15. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
(a) The sound of a carriage pulling up.
(b) The sound of a train.
(c) The sound of church bells.
(d) The sound of a snapped string dying mournfully away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
2. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
3. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
4. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
5. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)