|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
2. How long has Lyubov been away?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
3. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
4. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
(a) Slaughtered animals.
(b) Vicious monsters.
(c) The Countess.
(d) Human beings.
5. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Anya and Trofimov.
(b) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
(c) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
(d) Lyubov and Firs.
6. What is Lyubov's greatest flaw?
(a) Abusing the servants.
(d) Spending money recklessly.
7. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
(a) Swallow them.
(b) Send them to the Countess.
(c) Throw them into the well.
(d) Give them to him.
8. Who arrives at the estate near the end of Act 2?
(a) A beggar asking for money.
(b) The Countess.
9. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
10. What is the common complaint about Gaev?
(a) He sings too much.
(b) He talks too much.
(c) He is in love with the maid.
(d) He drinks all the time.
11. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
(a) Traveled and performed shows at fairs.
(b) They were merchants.
(c) Taught at a small school house.
(d) They were serfs.
12. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
13. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
(b) Not yet 50.
(c) Not yet 30.
14. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
15. How does Lyubov's son die?
(a) He jumps off the roof.
(b) He drowns in the river.
(c) He dies from Tuberculosis.
(d) He falls from a cherry tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
2. How old is Varya?
3. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
4. What is the setting for Act 2?
5. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)