|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dreams of entering a convent?
2. Who arrives at the estate near the end of Act 2?
(a) The Countess.
(b) A beggar asking for money.
3. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
(a) The sound of a snapped string dying mournfully away.
(b) The sound of church bells.
(c) The sound of a train.
(d) The sound of a carriage pulling up.
4. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
5. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
(a) Throw them into the well.
(b) Send them to the Countess.
(c) Give them to him.
(d) Swallow them.
6. What does Gaev constantly eat?
(a) Sunflower seeds.
(d) Dried herring.
7. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
8. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
9. Which character has a dog?
10. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
11. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) A meadow on the estate.
(b) The nursery.
(c) The ballroom.
(d) Lyubov's bedroom.
12. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
13. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
(a) To give her daughter on her wedding day.
(b) To rent it out for profit.
(c) To replace the estate.
(d) To take care of her lover who was ill.
14. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
15. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Varya?
2. What is the common complaint about Gaev?
3. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
4. How much is Gaev offered at the bank?
5. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)