|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
2. How long has Lyubov been away?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Five years.
3. Who is always mumbling?
4. What is the common complaint about Gaev?
(a) He drinks all the time.
(b) He talks too much.
(c) He sings too much.
(d) He is in love with the maid.
5. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
6. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
(a) Picking the cherries.
(b) Being fed dried peas.
(c) The noise of the city.
(d) Being overworked.
7. Which character appears to be "man-crazy?"
8. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
9. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
10. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
11. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
(a) A scoundrel.
(b) A miser.
(c) A cheapskate.
(d) An old woman.
12. What does Lyubov give to the stranger who passes through in Act 2?
(a) A basket of cherries.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) A silver coin.
(d) A kopek.
13. Who wears white throughout the play?
14. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
(a) Send them to the Countess.
(b) Swallow them.
(c) Give them to him.
(d) Throw them into the well.
15. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dreams of entering a convent?
2. Which character represents the rising middle class of turn-of-century Russia?
3. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
4. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
5. What does Firs say happened just before "the troubles?"
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)