|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
2. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's dancing.
(b) Yasha's magic tricks.
(c) Yasha's guitar playing.
(d) Yasha's cigar smoke.
3. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
4. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
5. Which character wears all black?
6. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
(a) The sound of a carriage pulling up.
(b) The sound of a snapped string dying mournfully away.
(c) The sound of church bells.
(d) The sound of a train.
7. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
8. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
9. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) The ballroom.
(b) The nursery.
(c) A meadow on the estate.
(d) Lyubov's bedroom.
10. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
(a) To rent it out for profit.
(b) To replace the estate.
(c) To give her daughter on her wedding day.
(d) To take care of her lover who was ill.
11. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) King Lear.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
12. Who dreams of entering a convent?
13. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
14. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
15. Who speaks to the bookshelf and to nature?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
2. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
3. How old is Varya?
4. What does Lyubov give to the stranger who passes through in Act 2?
5. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)