|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
2. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does Lyubov give to the stranger who passes through in Act 2?
(a) A silver coin.
(b) A kopek.
(c) A basket of cherries.
(d) A gold coin.
4. Which character says, "We should stop admiring ourselves. We should just work, and that is all?"
5. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Lyubov and Firs.
(b) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
(c) Anya and Trofimov.
(d) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
6. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
7. Which character wears all black?
8. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
(a) Human beings.
(b) Vicious monsters.
(c) The Countess.
(d) Slaughtered animals.
9. Who is always mumbling?
10. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
(a) The noise of the city.
(b) Being fed dried peas.
(c) Picking the cherries.
(d) Being overworked.
11. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's dancing.
(b) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(c) Yasha's guitar playing.
(d) Yasha's magic tricks.
12. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
(a) A revolver.
(b) A mandolin.
(c) A cucumber.
(d) A guitar.
13. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
14. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
(a) They were merchants.
(b) Taught at a small school house.
(c) They were serfs.
(d) Traveled and performed shows at fairs.
15. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Firs say happened just before "the troubles?"
2. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
3. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
4. Who wears white throughout the play?
5. Which character has a dog?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)