|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
(a) Send them to the Countess.
(b) Give them to him.
(c) Throw them into the well.
(d) Swallow them.
2. How much is Gaev offered at the bank?
(a) 3,000 per year.
(b) 25,000 per year.
(c) 10,000 per year.
(d) 6,000 per year.
3. Which character represents the rising middle class of turn-of-century Russia?
4. What does Gaev constantly eat?
(a) Sunflower seeds.
(c) Dried herring.
5. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
6. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
(a) The sound of a carriage pulling up.
(b) The sound of church bells.
(c) The sound of a train.
(d) The sound of a snapped string dying mournfully away.
7. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her aunt.
8. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
9. Which character says, "We should stop admiring ourselves. We should just work, and that is all?"
10. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
11. At the end of Act 2, where does Anya go to avoid being found in the garden?
(a) Into the woods.
(b) Into the orchard.
(c) Into the nursery.
(d) To the river.
12. Which character declares, "All of Russia is our orchard?"
13. Who comes to the orchard to look for Anya at the end of Act 2?
14. How does Lyubov's son die?
(a) He dies from Tuberculosis.
(b) He drowns in the river.
(c) He falls from a cherry tree.
(d) He jumps off the roof.
15. Who dreams of entering a convent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
2. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
3. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
4. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
5. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)