|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Lyubov been away?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Seven years.
2. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
3. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
4. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
5. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
6. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He is selling cherries.
(c) He has a meeting with someone who may give him a loan.
(d) He is buying the estate.
7. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
8. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
(a) Sell it to the Countess.
(b) Divide it into lots for summer cottages.
(c) Sell it to him.
(d) Take a loan and keep it as-is.
9. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Anya and Trofimov.
(b) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
(c) Lyubov and Firs.
(d) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
10. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
11. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
(a) Slaughtered animals.
(b) Human beings.
(c) The Countess.
(d) Vicious monsters.
12. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
(a) Being fed dried peas.
(b) Being overworked.
(c) The noise of the city.
(d) Picking the cherries.
13. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
14. Who dreams of entering a convent?
15. Who speaks to the bookshelf and to nature?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
2. Who arrives at the estate near the end of Act 2?
3. What is the common complaint about Gaev?
4. Which character says, "We should stop admiring ourselves. We should just work, and that is all?"
5. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)