|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dreams of entering a convent?
2. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
(a) The sound of a train.
(b) The sound of church bells.
(c) The sound of a carriage pulling up.
(d) The sound of a snapped string dying mournfully away.
3. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
(a) It means that Gaev can travel to and from work.
(b) It means that Lyubov can marry the stationmaster.
(c) It will be easier to lease out summer cottages.
(d) It will make selling the cherries more convenient.
4. Which character appears to be "man-crazy?"
5. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) The nursery.
(b) A meadow on the estate.
(c) The ballroom.
(d) Lyubov's bedroom.
6. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
(a) August 22.
(b) July 7.
(c) September 1.
(d) May 14.
7. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
(a) The noise of the city.
(b) Picking the cherries.
(c) Being fed dried peas.
(d) Being overworked.
8. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
(a) The Countess has arrived.
(b) It's almost suppertime.
(c) The ball is beginning.
(d) It's time for tea.
9. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) King Lear.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
10. Who speaks of "The Proud Man?"
11. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(b) Yasha's dancing.
(c) Yasha's magic tricks.
(d) Yasha's guitar playing.
12. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
(a) Taught at a small school house.
(b) They were serfs.
(c) They were merchants.
(d) Traveled and performed shows at fairs.
13. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Anya and Trofimov.
(b) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
(c) Lyubov and Firs.
(d) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
14. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her son.
15. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
(a) Sell it to him.
(b) Take a loan and keep it as-is.
(c) Sell it to the Countess.
(d) Divide it into lots for summer cottages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character declares, "All of Russia is our orchard?"
2. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
3. Who speaks to the bookshelf and to nature?
4. Which character wears all black?
5. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)