|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lyubov's son die?
(a) He jumps off the roof.
(b) He falls from a cherry tree.
(c) He drowns in the river.
(d) He dies from Tuberculosis.
2. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
3. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Emancipation.
(c) The onset of Communism.
(d) World War I.
4. What is Lyubov's greatest flaw?
(b) Abusing the servants.
(d) Spending money recklessly.
5. Which character declares, "All of Russia is our orchard?"
6. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
(a) The sound of a carriage pulling up.
(b) The sound of church bells.
(c) The sound of a snapped string dying mournfully away.
(d) The sound of a train.
7. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
(a) He has a meeting with someone who may give him a loan.
(b) He is selling cherries.
(c) He is getting married.
(d) He is buying the estate.
8. Who says, "My father was a peasant, an idiot?"
9. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
(b) Julius Caesar.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) King Lear.
10. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) The ballroom.
(b) The nursery.
(c) Lyubov's bedroom.
(d) A meadow on the estate.
11. What is the common complaint about Gaev?
(a) He sings too much.
(b) He talks too much.
(c) He drinks all the time.
(d) He is in love with the maid.
12. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
13. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
(a) It means that Gaev can travel to and from work.
(b) It means that Lyubov can marry the stationmaster.
(c) It will make selling the cherries more convenient.
(d) It will be easier to lease out summer cottages.
14. Who comes to the orchard to look for Anya at the end of Act 2?
15. Who wears white throughout the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yepikhodov carry with him at all times?
2. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
3. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
4. At what time of day does Act 2 take place?
5. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)