|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to the orchard to look for Anya at the end of Act 2?
2. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Emancipation.
(d) The onset of Communism.
3. Who wears white throughout the play?
4. How old is Varya?
5. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
(a) He is buying the estate.
(b) He is selling cherries.
(c) He has a meeting with someone who may give him a loan.
(d) He is getting married.
6. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
7. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
(a) A scoundrel.
(b) An old woman.
(c) A cheapskate.
(d) A miser.
8. Which character has a dog?
9. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
(a) Sell it to him.
(b) Sell it to the Countess.
(c) Divide it into lots for summer cottages.
(d) Take a loan and keep it as-is.
10. How long has Lyubov been away?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
11. What does Firs say happened just before "the troubles?"
(a) An owl hooted and the samovar hissed constantly.
(b) A black carriage pulled up to the estate.
(c) The train arrived in the station.
(d) The slaves rioted.
12. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
(c) Not yet 50.
(d) Not yet 30.
13. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) The nursery.
(b) The ballroom.
(c) Lyubov's bedroom.
(d) A meadow on the estate.
14. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Anya and Trofimov.
(b) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
(c) Lyubov and Firs.
(d) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
15. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character declares, "All of Russia is our orchard?"
2. Who dreams of entering a convent?
3. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
4. What is the common complaint about Gaev?
5. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)