|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character has a dog?
2. Which character represents the dissolving upper class of turn-of-century Russia?
3. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
(a) They were serfs.
(b) They were merchants.
(c) Taught at a small school house.
(d) Traveled and performed shows at fairs.
4. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
5. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
(a) Sell it to the Countess.
(b) Sell it to him.
(c) Take a loan and keep it as-is.
(d) Divide it into lots for summer cottages.
6. Who arrives at the estate near the end of Act 2?
(b) The Countess.
(d) A beggar asking for money.
7. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
8. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
9. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
(a) Vicious monsters.
(b) Human beings.
(c) The Countess.
(d) Slaughtered animals.
10. How much is Gaev offered at the bank?
(a) 3,000 per year.
(b) 10,000 per year.
(c) 25,000 per year.
(d) 6,000 per year.
11. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) King Lear.
12. Who is playing guitar at the beginning of Act 2?
13. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Anya and Trofimov.
(b) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
(c) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
(d) Lyubov and Firs.
14. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
(a) Being fed dried peas.
(b) Picking the cherries.
(c) The noise of the city.
(d) Being overworked.
15. At the end of Act 2, where does Anya go to avoid being found in the garden?
(a) Into the nursery.
(b) Into the woods.
(c) Into the orchard.
(d) To the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
2. What is the setting for Act 2?
3. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
4. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
5. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)