|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is in love with Trofimov?
2. In Act 2, Lyubov details where she has been before the start of the play. Where does she say she's returned from?
3. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) Lyubov's bedroom.
(b) The ballroom.
(c) The nursery.
(d) A meadow on the estate.
4. How long has Lyubov been away?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Five years.
5. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
(a) Slaughtered animals.
(b) Vicious monsters.
(c) Human beings.
(d) The Countess.
6. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
(a) Being fed dried peas.
(b) Being overworked.
(c) Picking the cherries.
(d) The noise of the city.
7. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
(a) A miser.
(b) A cheapskate.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A scoundrel.
8. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
9. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
10. What Shakespearean play does Lopakhin quote to Varya after the passing of the stranger in Act 2?
(a) King Lear.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) Julius Caesar.
11. What does Firs say happened just before "the troubles?"
(a) An owl hooted and the samovar hissed constantly.
(b) The slaves rioted.
(c) A black carriage pulled up to the estate.
(d) The train arrived in the station.
12. At the end of Act 2, a distinctive sound is heard in the distance which the characters take note of. What sound is heard?
(a) The sound of a carriage pulling up.
(b) The sound of a snapped string dying mournfully away.
(c) The sound of church bells.
(d) The sound of a train.
13. Which character declares, "All of Russia is our orchard?"
14. At what time of day does Act 2 take place?
15. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(b) Yasha's magic tricks.
(c) Yasha's dancing.
(d) Yasha's guitar playing.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, where does Anya go to avoid being found in the garden?
2. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
3. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
4. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
5. Who dreams of entering a convent?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)