|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes of Lyubov's lover?
(a) He inherits a fortune.
(b) He leaves her for another woman.
(c) He marries her daughter.
(d) He dies on the train.
2. Who is mentioned as being "prepared to buy the estate" at auction?
3. How old is Varya?
4. What do Charlotta's parents do for a living?
(a) Traveled and performed shows at fairs.
(b) Taught at a small school house.
(c) They were serfs.
(d) They were merchants.
5. In Act 2, why does Gaev say he must go to town the following day?
(a) He is selling cherries.
(b) He is buying the estate.
(c) He has a meeting with someone who may give him a loan.
(d) He is getting married.
6. Who dreams of entering a convent?
7. How old is Lyubov's son when he dies?
8. What does Gaev constantly eat?
(a) Dried herring.
(c) Sunflower seeds.
9. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her lover.
10. Where does the Countess live, who is mentioned by Gaev in Act 2?
11. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
12. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
(a) July 7.
(b) May 14.
(c) September 1.
(d) August 22.
13. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
14. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
(a) Swallow them.
(b) Send them to the Countess.
(c) Give them to him.
(d) Throw them into the well.
15. Who is always mumbling?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
2. What does Lyubov say her husband died from?
3. At what time of day does Act 2 take place?
4. Which character represents the rising middle class of turn-of-century Russia?
5. Who begins to weep after the sound is heard in the distance in Act 2?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)