|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gaev constantly eat?
(b) Dried herring.
(c) Sunflower seeds.
2. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's guitar playing.
(b) Yasha's dancing.
(c) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(d) Yasha's magic tricks.
3. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
(a) Swallow them.
(b) Give them to him.
(c) Throw them into the well.
(d) Send them to the Countess.
4. Who speaks to the bookshelf and to nature?
5. Who dreams of entering a convent?
6. What does Firs say happened just before "the troubles?"
(a) A black carriage pulled up to the estate.
(b) The slaves rioted.
(c) The train arrived in the station.
(d) An owl hooted and the samovar hissed constantly.
7. To whom does Dunyasha profess her love in Act 2?
8. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
(b) Anya and Trofimov.
(c) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
(d) Lyubov and Firs.
9. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) The ballroom.
(b) A meadow on the estate.
(c) Lyubov's bedroom.
(d) The nursery.
10. Which character represents the rising middle class of turn-of-century Russia?
11. Which character wears all black?
12. What does Lopakhin call Gaev when storming out from the garden in Act 2, following their dispute about the estate?
(a) A cheapskate.
(b) A scoundrel.
(c) A miser.
(d) An old woman.
13. What, according to Trofimov, is peering out from every cherry tree?
(a) The Countess.
(b) Vicious monsters.
(c) Slaughtered animals.
(d) Human beings.
14. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
(a) It means that Gaev can travel to and from work.
(b) It means that Lyubov can marry the stationmaster.
(c) It will make selling the cherries more convenient.
(d) It will be easier to lease out summer cottages.
15. How long has Lyubov been away?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Seven years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
2. Who arrives at the estate near the end of Act 2?
3. What does Lyubov give to the stranger who passes through in Act 2?
4. Who keeps sending telegrams to Lyubov?
5. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)