|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
(a) To take care of her lover who was ill.
(b) To give her daughter on her wedding day.
(c) To replace the estate.
(d) To rent it out for profit.
2. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
3. Which character wears all black?
4. What does Firs refer to as "the troubles" during Act 2?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Emancipation.
(c) The onset of Communism.
(d) World War I.
5. What is Lyubov's greatest flaw?
(b) Abusing the servants.
(d) Spending money recklessly.
6. What does Trofimov suggest that Anya do with the keys of the household?
(a) Give them to him.
(b) Send them to the Countess.
(c) Throw them into the well.
(d) Swallow them.
7. Who wears white throughout the play?
8. Who dreams of entering a convent?
9. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
(a) It's time for tea.
(b) The Countess has arrived.
(c) The ball is beginning.
(d) It's almost suppertime.
10. Which character implies the precursor to socialist thought in Russia?
11. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
(c) Not yet 30.
(d) Not yet 50.
12. What does Lyubov give to the stranger who passes through in Act 2?
(a) A basket of cherries.
(b) A kopek.
(c) A silver coin.
(d) A gold coin.
13. What is the setting for Act 2?
(a) The ballroom.
(b) Lyubov's bedroom.
(c) A meadow on the estate.
(d) The nursery.
14. What effect comes from having the railway closer to the estate?
(a) It means that Gaev can travel to and from work.
(b) It will be easier to lease out summer cottages.
(c) It will make selling the cherries more convenient.
(d) It means that Lyubov can marry the stationmaster.
15. Who comes to the orchard to look for Anya at the end of Act 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
2. How old is Varya?
3. What is the common complaint about Gaev?
4. Who is always mumbling?
5. How does Lyubov's son die?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)