|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Firs say happened just before "the troubles?"
(a) A black carriage pulled up to the estate.
(b) The train arrived in the station.
(c) An owl hooted and the samovar hissed constantly.
(d) The slaves rioted.
2. Why did Lyubov buy a villa?
(a) To rent it out for profit.
(b) To give her daughter on her wedding day.
(c) To replace the estate.
(d) To take care of her lover who was ill.
3. What does Lopakhim want Lyubov to do with the estate?
(a) Divide it into lots for summer cottages.
(b) Sell it to him.
(c) Sell it to the Countess.
(d) Take a loan and keep it as-is.
4. Why does Lyubov call everyone inside at the end of Act 2?
(a) The ball is beginning.
(b) The Countess has arrived.
(c) It's time for tea.
(d) It's almost suppertime.
5. How long has Lyubov been away?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Seven years.
6. To whom does Lyubov want Lopakhin to marry?
7. How old does Trofimov claim to be?
(b) Not yet 50.
(c) Not yet 30.
8. Who is Varya afraid will "fall in love?"
(a) Lyubov and Firs.
(b) Lopakhim and Trofimov.
(c) Anya and Trofimov.
(d) Dunyasha and Pishchik.
9. Who arrives at the estate near the end of Act 2?
(c) A beggar asking for money.
(d) The Countess.
10. At the end of Act 2, where does Anya go to avoid being found in the garden?
(a) Into the orchard.
(b) To the river.
(c) Into the nursery.
(d) Into the woods.
11. What irritates Lyubov and Gaev upon their entrance in Act 2, prompting them to send Yasha away?
(a) Yasha's magic tricks.
(b) Yasha's cigar smoke.
(c) Yasha's dancing.
(d) Yasha's guitar playing.
12. What do Lyubov and Varya mention in Act 2 that the peasants have been complaining about?
(a) Picking the cherries.
(b) The noise of the city.
(c) Being fed dried peas.
(d) Being overworked.
13. Who comes to the orchard to look for Anya at the end of Act 2?
14. Which character says, "Forward! We are moving irresistibly toward the bright star that burns in the distance!"
15. Which character has a dog?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date is the estate to go up for auction?
2. What does Gaev constantly eat?
3. How old is Varya?
4. Who gets into an argument with Trofimov in Act 2?
5. What is Lyubov's greatest flaw?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)