|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it when Cheri returns once more to Lea's home?
2. Where does Edmee regularly volunteer?
3. What has Lea been formulating while Cheri slept?
4. Who does Cheri decide to visit at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. What does Lea rationalize is over for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many years have passed since the end of CHERI and the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
2. At this point, how long has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
3. Describe the encounter in which Cheri once again sees the Pal.
4. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
5. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
6. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
7. How do Lea's pearls, once an object of pleasure for Cheri, now repulse him?
8. How do Cheri and Lea view each other now?
9. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
10. Why does Desmond grow weary of Cheri's aimless existence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Madame Peloux. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)