|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lea rationalize is over for her?
2. To whom has Edmee become attracted?
3. How many years has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
4. What does Cheri surmise Lea's mood to be when he visits?
5. How does Cheri try to communicate with Lea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Desmond grow weary of Cheri's aimless existence?
2. How are Cheri and Edmee at odds over Edmee's charity work?
3. What does Cheri purchase in order to provide some amusement in his life?
4. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
5. What is Cheri doing as THE LAST OF CHERI begins?
6. Why is Cheri strangely drawn to the pal?
7. How do Lea and Cheri finally reunite?
8. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
9. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
10. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Develop a character study of Cheri. What are his physical traits? What motivates him? What are his personal characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novella, Cheri commits suicide. Why did Cheri think this was his only option? Why did he kill himself in the Pal's apartment? What is the significance of Cheri being surrounded by pictures of Lea as he dies?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the pearls. What do the pearls symbolize for Cheri? Explain.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)