|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is Edmee hosting when Cheri returns home?
2. What is the name of Desmond's new bar?
3. What does Cheri drink while talking to the Pal?
4. Why does Cheri tell Lea he must leave?
5. How many years has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cheri purchase in order to provide some amusement in his life?
2. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
3. What is Cheri doing as THE LAST OF CHERI begins?
4. What is the irony of Madame Peloux's understanding that Cheri needs Lea at this point in his life?
5. How does Madame Peloux try to keep Lea away from Cheri after his six-month stay with Desmond?
6. After spending the night together, how do Lea's and Cheri's views of the relationship differ?
7. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
8. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
9. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
10. How are Cheri and Edmee at odds over Edmee's charity work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novella, Cheri commits suicide. Why did Cheri think this was his only option? Why did he kill himself in the Pal's apartment? What is the significance of Cheri being surrounded by pictures of Lea as he dies?
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Lea. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)