|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lea rationalize is over for her?
2. As Chapter 4 begins, Cheri is in a state of __________.
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Cheri in the post-war days?
4. Why does Desmond not have time to spend with Cheri anymore?
5. What has Lea been formulating while Cheri slept?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
2. At this point, how long has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
3. How do Lea's pearls, once an object of pleasure for Cheri, now repulse him?
4. Describe the encounter in which Cheri once again sees the Pal.
5. How do Cheri and Lea view each other now?
6. Why is Cheri strangely drawn to the pal?
7. What is the irony of Madame Peloux's understanding that Cheri needs Lea at this point in his life?
8. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
9. How do Lea and Cheri finally reunite?
10. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the pearls. What do the pearls symbolize for Cheri? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Lea. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)