|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the window in which room does Lea watch Cheri leave?
2. What does Cheri drink while talking to the Pal?
3. What does Lea rationalize is over for her?
4. About whom does Cheri occasionally think?
5. Aside from Lea's appearance, what makes Cheri sink into an even deeper depression about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many years have passed since the end of CHERI and the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
2. How do Lea and Cheri finally reunite?
3. Why does Desmond grow weary of Cheri's aimless existence?
4. How are Cheri and Edmee at odds over Edmee's charity work?
5. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
6. What is the irony of Madame Peloux's understanding that Cheri needs Lea at this point in his life?
7. How does Lea respond when Cheri tells her he must return to his wife?
8. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
9. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
10. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Depression takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
CHERI and THE LAST OF CHERI are classic stories of the search for love. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the pearls. What do the pearls symbolize for Cheri? Explain.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)