|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Lea think that Cheri may be reconsidering his decision to leave?
2. For what is the Pal notable?
3. Why has Cheri returned to Lea's home?
4. How does Cheri try to communicate with Lea?
5. What time of day is it when Cheri returns once more to Lea's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. At this point, how long has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
2. What is Cheri doing as THE LAST OF CHERI begins?
3. How does Madame Peloux try to keep Lea away from Cheri after his six-month stay with Desmond?
4. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
5. How do Lea's pearls, once an object of pleasure for Cheri, now repulse him?
6. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
7. Why is Cheri strangely drawn to the pal?
8. How does Lea respond when Cheri tells her he must return to his wife?
9. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
10. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novella, Cheri commits suicide. Why did Cheri think this was his only option? Why did he kill himself in the Pal's apartment? What is the significance of Cheri being surrounded by pictures of Lea as he dies?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)