|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheri buy to take the edge off his boredom?
2. What does Edmee do while Cheri sleeps?
3. As Chapter 4 begins, Cheri is in a state of __________.
4. How does Cheri try to communicate with Lea?
5. What does Cheri surmise Lea's mood to be when he visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cheri purchase in order to provide some amusement in his life?
2. Why does Desmond grow weary of Cheri's aimless existence?
3. Describe the encounter in which Cheri once again sees the Pal.
4. What is Cheri doing as THE LAST OF CHERI begins?
5. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
6. How does Lea respond when Cheri tells her he must return to his wife?
7. How do Lea's pearls, once an object of pleasure for Cheri, now repulse him?
8. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
9. How many years have passed since the end of CHERI and the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
10. How do Cheri and Lea view each other now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novella, Cheri commits suicide. Why did Cheri think this was his only option? Why did he kill himself in the Pal's apartment? What is the significance of Cheri being surrounded by pictures of Lea as he dies?
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Cheri. What are his physical traits? What motivates him? What are his personal characteristics?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)