|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what season of the year does Cheri leave Lea for the last time?
2. Why does Edmee spend so much time at the hospital?
3. How does Desmond perceive Cheri to be now?
4. What is Edmee doing when Cheri returns home?
5. Why is Cheri so drawn to the Pal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Cheri and Edmee at odds over Edmee's charity work?
2. At this point, how long has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
3. How does Lea respond when Cheri tells her he must return to his wife?
4. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
5. How does Cheri's ennui extend to his personal relationships?
6. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
7. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
8. How many years have passed since the end of CHERI and the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
9. Describe the encounter in which Cheri once again sees the Pal.
10. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Depression takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Money and status are very important to the characters in the novellas. Choose at least two characters and cite how each one works to maintain a certain lifestyle or achieve a certain lifestyle.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)