|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheri notice about Edmee?
2. What occupies the majority of Edmee's time?
3. As Chapter 4 begins, Cheri is in a state of __________.
4. Who does Madame Peloux make an appointment to see?
5. How many years has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lea's pearls, once an object of pleasure for Cheri, now repulse him?
2. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
3. At this point, how long has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
4. Why is Cheri strangely drawn to the pal?
5. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
6. Why does Desmond grow weary of Cheri's aimless existence?
7. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
8. How does Madame Peloux try to keep Lea away from Cheri after his six-month stay with Desmond?
9. How do Lea and Cheri finally reunite?
10. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the pearls. What do the pearls symbolize for Cheri? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Why did she choose to tell the story from the perspective she did? Cite an example of the point of view used.
Essay Topic 3
Money and status are very important to the characters in the novellas. Choose at least two characters and cite how each one works to maintain a certain lifestyle or achieve a certain lifestyle.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)