|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupies the majority of Edmee's time?
2. How does Cheri feel about Lea's appearance when he visits her?
3. What is Edmee doing when Cheri returns home?
4. What does Lea rationalize is over for her?
5. What does Cheri buy to take the edge off his boredom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
2. Why is Cheri strangely drawn to the pal?
3. How many years have passed since the end of CHERI and the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
4. How does Cheri's ennui extend to his personal relationships?
5. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
6. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
7. After spending the night together, how do Lea's and Cheri's views of the relationship differ?
8. How are Cheri and Edmee at odds over Edmee's charity work?
9. What is Cheri doing as THE LAST OF CHERI begins?
10. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after Cheri's death and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Lea, Madame Peloux and Edmee. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Lea. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)