|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday is being celebrated at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. Which of the following does Lea NOT give up in her life at this point?
3. What does Madame Peloux determine is Cheri's real problem that makes him so cranky?
4. What is the literary technique the author uses to show that Madame Peloux needs maternal affection not from her but from Lea?
5. What does Edmee do while Cheri sleeps?
Short Essay Questions
1. After spending the night together, how do Lea's and Cheri's views of the relationship differ?
2. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
3. How does Cheri's ennui extend to his personal relationships?
4. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
5. What does Cheri purchase in order to provide some amusement in his life?
6. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
7. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
8. What is Cheri doing as THE LAST OF CHERI begins?
9. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
10. At this point, how long has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Develop a character study of Cheri. What are his physical traits? What motivates him? What are his personal characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
Money and status are very important to the characters in the novellas. Choose at least two characters and cite how each one works to maintain a certain lifestyle or achieve a certain lifestyle.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novella, Cheri commits suicide. Why did Cheri think this was his only option? Why did he kill himself in the Pal's apartment? What is the significance of Cheri being surrounded by pictures of Lea as he dies?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)