|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lea rationalize is over for her?
2. What is the setting for Chapter 1 of THE LAST OF CHERI?
3. How can Edmee's demeanor best be characterized now?
4. Why has Cheri returned to Lea's home?
5. What year is it at the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cheri purchase in order to provide some amusement in his life?
2. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
3. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
4. Describe the encounter in which Cheri once again sees the Pal.
5. What is the irony of Madame Peloux's understanding that Cheri needs Lea at this point in his life?
6. Why is Cheri strangely drawn to the pal?
7. How does Cheri's ennui extend to his personal relationships?
8. How do Lea and Cheri finally reunite?
9. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
10. At this point, how long has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money and status are very important to the characters in the novellas. Choose at least two characters and cite how each one works to maintain a certain lifestyle or achieve a certain lifestyle.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name
Essay Topic 3
Colette uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two themes about beauty in the story. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)