|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lea spends time with Madame Peloux and __________.
2. Why is Cheri so drawn to the Pal?
3. What does Cheri drink while talking to the Pal?
4. About whom does Cheri occasionally think?
5. For how many years have Cheri and Edmee been married at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lea's pearls, once an object of pleasure for Cheri, now repulse him?
2. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
3. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
4. After spending the night together, how do Lea's and Cheri's views of the relationship differ?
5. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
6. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
7. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
8. How does Cheri's ennui extend to his personal relationships?
9. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
10. What is the irony of Madame Peloux's understanding that Cheri needs Lea at this point in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Why did she choose to tell the story from the perspective she did? Cite an example of the point of view used.
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Lea. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)