|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for Chapter 1 of THE LAST OF CHERI?
2. Why does Cheri tell Lea he must leave?
3. What is the one thing about Lea's appearance that pleases Cheri?
4. What year is it at the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
5. Who is a frequent companion of Cheri's on drives in the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cheri purchase in order to provide some amusement in his life?
2. How do Lea and Cheri finally reunite?
3. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
4. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
5. How do Cheri and Lea view each other now?
6. How many years have passed since the end of CHERI and the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
7. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
8. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
9. After spending the night together, how do Lea's and Cheri's views of the relationship differ?
10. What is Cheri doing as THE LAST OF CHERI begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novella, Cheri commits suicide. Why did Cheri think this was his only option? Why did he kill himself in the Pal's apartment? What is the significance of Cheri being surrounded by pictures of Lea as he dies?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after Cheri's death and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Lea, Madame Peloux and Edmee. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)