|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
2. Why has Cheri returned to Lea's home?
3. Lea spends time with Madame Peloux and __________.
4. About whom does Cheri occasionally think?
5. What is the literary technique in which Lea's actions do not support her statements about her advancing age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter in which Cheri once again sees the Pal.
2. How do Lea and Cheri finally reunite?
3. Why is Cheri strangely drawn to the pal?
4. What does Cheri purchase in order to provide some amusement in his life?
5. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
6. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
7. What is Cheri doing as THE LAST OF CHERI begins?
8. How do Cheri and Lea view each other now?
9. At this point, how long has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
10. How does Cheri's ennui extend to his personal relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Depression takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of Cheri's anguish related to World War I? What impact did the war have on Cheri physically and emotionally?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)