|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the characters has achieved true freedom and happiness?
2. From the window in which room does Lea watch Cheri leave?
3. What time of day is it when Cheri returns once more to Lea's home?
4. In order to fill her time, Lea toys with the idea of opening a shop or ____________.
5. What are Cheri's feelings about Lea in the morning light?
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in France in the early twentieth century. What about during the post-war years? How did the role of women change?
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the pearls. What do the pearls symbolize for Cheri? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)