|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheri buy to take the edge off his boredom?
2. About whom does Cheri occasionally think?
3. What topic does Cheri confront his mother on one night when he is feeling especially irritable?
4. Why is Cheri so drawn to the Pal?
5. Where does Edmee regularly volunteer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lea's pearls, once an object of pleasure for Cheri, now repulse him?
2. What does Cheri purchase in order to provide some amusement in his life?
3. What is the irony of Madame Peloux's understanding that Cheri needs Lea at this point in his life?
4. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
5. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
6. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
7. Describe the encounter in which Cheri once again sees the Pal.
8. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
9. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
10. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of Cheri's anguish related to World War I? What impact did the war have on Cheri physically and emotionally?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)