|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what organization does Edmee host another soiree?
2. What does Cheri notice about Edmee?
3. What does Madame Peloux determine is Cheri's real problem that makes him so cranky?
4. What makes Cheri leave the house immediately after arriving?
5. Which of the following does Lea NOT give up in her life at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
2. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
3. Describe the encounter in which Cheri once again sees the Pal.
4. How does Cheri's ennui extend to his personal relationships?
5. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
6. How do Lea and Cheri finally reunite?
7. At this point, how long has it been since Cheri has seen Lea?
8. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
9. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
10. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colette uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two themes about beauty in the story. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
The nature of evolving roles is an important one in this story. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after Cheri's death and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Lea, Madame Peloux and Edmee. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)