|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheri surmise Lea's mood to be when he visits?
2. How does Desmond perceive Cheri to be now?
3. What is Lea doing when Cheri awakens the next morning?
4. Why does Edmee silently hate Cheri?
5. Lea thinks that ____________ should sort out a divorce between Cheri and Edmee.
Short Essay Questions
1. How many years have passed since the end of CHERI and the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
2. Why does Desmond grow weary of Cheri's aimless existence?
3. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
4. After spending the night together, how do Lea's and Cheri's views of the relationship differ?
5. How do Lea and Cheri finally reunite?
6. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
7. How does Cheri's ennui extend to his personal relationships?
8. What is the state of Cheri's mood at the beginning of Chapter 6 in THE LAST OF CHERI?
9. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
10. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novellas. Why does Colette use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Money and status are very important to the characters in the novellas. Choose at least two characters and cite how each one works to maintain a certain lifestyle or achieve a certain lifestyle.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in France in the early-twentieth century. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they enjoy any freedoms that 21st century women do no?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)