|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl that Cheri's mother hopes he will marry?
2. Who does Lea hire to help Cheri during another summer?
3. What is the format of CHERI and THE LAST OF CHERI?
4. Who is the main character?
5. Which of the following does Lea NOT instruct her maid to do after Lea returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Pal and how does Cheri meet her?
2. How does Cheri learn that Lea is home from her trip?
3. Have Lea's feelings for Cheri abated during her time away?
4. What is Cheri's reaction when he sees Edmee wearing a pearl necklace?
5. How does Lea behave at the luncheon at Madame Peloux's?
6. Why does Lea have such a marked reaction to the garden party and what does she do as a result?
7. What is the premise for CHERI and THE LAST OF CHERI?
8. How does Cheri's engagement to Edmee begin to alter the relationship between Lea and Cheri?
9. What does the author reveal about Cheri's physical and emotional traits?
10. What plan does Lea come up with in order to help rid her memory of Cheri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of Cheri's anguish related to World War I? What impact did the war have on Cheri physically and emotionally?
Essay Topic 2
Colette uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two themes about beauty in the story. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)