|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Madame Peloux assume Lea has gone on a trip out of Paris?
2. What about Cheri is particularly frustrating for Edmee at this point?
3. Missing Cheri makes Lea think she is _________.
4. How old is Lili, the aging courtesan?
5. What does Patron teach Cheri to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Lea come up with in order to help rid her memory of Cheri?
2. What is the significance of pearls to Cheri?
3. Why does Lea have such a marked reaction to the garden party and what does she do as a result?
4. What is the premise for CHERI and THE LAST OF CHERI?
5. Why is Cheri so unwilling to return to his home?
6. Describe some of the interpersonal dynamics in Madame Peloux's house while Cheri and Edmee live there.
7. How do Lea and Cheri differ in terms of their purpose and ways to find fulfillment in their lives?
8. What does Lea recall about summers spent with Cheri?
9. How does Edmee temper her feelings during the time she and Cheri live at Madame Peloux's?
10. How does the relationship between Lea and Cheri begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Develop a character study of Edmee. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name
Essay Topic 3
The nature of evolving roles is an important one in this story. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)