|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cheri feel about the world of his wife and mother?
2. Who is the main character?
3. Why is Cheri going to marry Edmee?
4. What information does Cheri try to extract from Ernest?
5. What is the topic of conversation between Cheri and his mother at breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Pal and how does Cheri meet her?
2. Why are Cheri and Edmee at odds over the state of their marriage?
3. How does the relationship between Lea and Cheri begin?
4. Describe some of the interpersonal dynamics in Madame Peloux's house while Cheri and Edmee live there.
5. Describe the encounter Cheri has with Ernest at Lea's house.
6. What is Cheri's reaction when he returns from his honeymoon and learns of Lea's trip away from Paris?
7. What does the author reveal about Cheri's physical and emotional traits?
8. How did Lea come to know Cheri?
9. What appointment does Lea remind Cheri that he must keep?
10. What is the setting for CHERI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of Cheri's anguish related to World War I? What impact did the war have on Cheri physically and emotionally?
Essay Topic 2
CHERI and THE LAST OF CHERI are classic stories of the search for love. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novella, Cheri commits suicide. Why did Cheri think this was his only option? Why did he kill himself in the Pal's apartment? What is the significance of Cheri being surrounded by pictures of Lea as he dies?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)