|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lea doing when Cheri awakens the next morning?
(a) Taking a bath.
(b) Eating breakfast.
(d) Writing at her desk.
2. Which of the following does Lea NOT give up in her life at this point?
(c) New lingerie.
3. What is the one thing about Lea's appearance that pleases Cheri?
(a) She wears glasses.
(b) She is wearing pearls.
(c) She has her hair styled attractively.
(d) She has beautiful makeup.
4. What topic does Cheri confront his mother on one night when he is feeling especially irritable?
(a) Her and Edmee making financial decisions without consulting him.
(b) Her decision to buy a house next to his.
(c) Cutting him out of her will.
(d) Encouraging Edmee to take a lover.
5. What is Edmee doing when Cheri returns home?
(a) Instructing the chef.
(b) Curling her hair.
(c) Talking on the phone.
(d) Taking a nap.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom has Edmee become attracted?
2. What year is it at the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
3. How does Cheri know that Edmee is going to bed?
4. From the window in which room does Lea watch Cheri leave?
5. For how many years have Cheri and Edmee been married at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lea's appearance indicate about her outlook on life now?
2. How does the author use irony at the end of CHERI when Lea tells Cheri to leave?
3. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
4. How does Madame Peloux try to keep Lea away from Cheri after his six-month stay with Desmond?
5. How does Lea respond when Cheri tells her he must return to his wife?
6. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
7. How do Lea's pearls, once an object of pleasure for Cheri, now repulse him?
8. How many years have passed since the end of CHERI and the beginning of THE LAST OF CHERI?
9. How are Cheri and Edmee at odds over Edmee's charity work?
10. Why does Desmond grow weary of Cheri's aimless existence?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)