|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madame Peloux tell Lea about Cheri?
(a) He never wants to see her again.
(b) He is happy at home.
(c) He will return to her soon.
(d) He is devastated without her.
2. How does Cheri know that Edmee is going to bed?
(a) She is putting on night cream.
(b) He watches the lights in the house go out.
(c) She is having chamomile tea.
(d) She is yawning uncontrollably.
3. What does Cheri recall as he takes a nightly walk?
(a) World War I.
(b) Desmond's parties.
(c) Lea's pearls.
(d) His childhood home.
4. In order to fill her time, Lea toys with the idea of opening a shop or ____________.
5. What holiday is being celebrated at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Cheri's birthday.
(c) Armistice Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Edmee silently hate Cheri?
2. How does Cheri try to communicate with Lea?
3. From the window in which room does Lea watch Cheri leave?
4. What is the one thing about Lea's appearance that pleases Cheri?
5. What is the literary technique the author uses to show that Madame Peloux needs maternal affection not from her but from Lea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter in which Cheri once again sees the Pal.
2. Explain why Cheri feels shut out of his marriage and even alienated from Madame Peloux?
3. How does the author show the emerging roles of women in post-war society?
4. Why does Cheri seem to be so unfocused and listless in his life?
5. What is ironic about the claims Lea makes about her age and the things that she is buying?
6. How does Cheri's ennui extend to his personal relationships?
7. What is Cheri doing as THE LAST OF CHERI begins?
8. How does Lea respond when Cheri tells her he must return to his wife?
9. How does Madame Peloux try to keep Lea away from Cheri after his six-month stay with Desmond?
10. Why is Cheri so shocked when he finally visits Lea again?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)