|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit does Cheri have at night?
(a) Walking alone.
(b) Drinking alone.
(c) Going to the theatre.
(d) Going to prostitutes.
2. Why is Lea so repulsed by the sight of Lili and her young companion?
(a) She sees her own future in her.
(b) She has grown quite fat.
(c) She eats with her mouth open.
(d) She is losing her memory.
3. Who is the courtesan that Lea thinks is too old to still be entertaining young men?
4. How does Lea manage her feelings related to Cheri's upcoming marriage?
(a) She feigns indifference.
(b) She helps with the planning.
(c) She is depressed and won't see him.
(d) She gives him money for the honeymoon.
5. What is the setting of the beginning of CHERI?
(a) The Louvre.
(b) Lea's bedroom.
(c) A salon.
(d) A restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cheri feel about the world of his wife and mother?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the lives of Lea and Madame Peloux?
3. How long does Cheri stay at Desmond's?
4. Who essentially raised Cheri?
5. How can Cheri's attentions toward Lea be characterized?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Lea and Cheri begin?
2. Why does Lea have such a marked reaction to the garden party and what does she do as a result?
3. Who is the Pal and how does Cheri meet her?
4. At 49, what is the future of Lea's career as a courtesan?
5. How does Edmee temper her feelings during the time she and Cheri live at Madame Peloux's?
6. How does Cheri learn that Lea is home from her trip?
7. Why are Cheri and Edmee at odds over the state of their marriage?
8. What appointment does Lea remind Cheri that he must keep?
9. Why is Cheri so unwilling to return to his home?
10. What is the setting for CHERI?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)